New Arena

Wannabe2

Tyke Devil said:
Well not really........the thread is on a Cardiff Devils forum so basically is about the Cardiff Devils..or should be.

I care about how the new arena will affect the Devils..nothing else. It can only be an improvement on what we have at the moment.

The Arena is being built for Ice sports...and will be the home for the Devils. That's it as far as I am concerned. It is what it is. If you wanted something different you should have got involved with all the hard working guys that got us this far. I assume you were in contact with SORAC over the last 4 or 5 years?

TBH...if you were not...well you really can't complain about anything. How can you. What did you do?
He wasn't, believe me.

Wannabe2 said:
Was a joke, lighten up, we ain't all Morons like you think we are, come back down to earth mate, you just might like it. Get a grip.
It's difficult to "lighten up" with a person who has made comments that had they been made in person to me would likely have ending with the police being called.

So far you've gone beyond proving who the moron is.

Tyke Devil said:
I care about how the new arena will affect the Devils..nothing else. It can only be an improvement on what we have at the moment.
That makes us equal.

Tyke Devil said:
The Arena is being built for Ice sports...and will be the home for the Devils. That's it as far as I am concerned. It is what it is. If you wanted something different you should have got involved with all the hard working guys that got us this far. I assume you were in contact with SORAC over the last 4 or 5 years?
You still haven't grasped it have you. What l wanted has nothing to do with it. I have stated my opinion.

No didn't even know who SORAC where. I've only been back in country a few yrs.

Tyke Devil said:
TBH...if you were not...well you really can't complain about anything. How can you. What did you do?
I'm not complaining I'm critical & preempting issues. Like l stated l want decent Ice Hockey, don't care if it's the Devils. Im not brand loyal, l like coffee don't care if it's Lavazzo, Costa, I'll drink any that tastes good.

In your world you cannot complain about anything you didn't try to change, you just accept it, take what is coming, live with it. No l suspect you would complain just as much as anybody else would do if they feel wronged.

I know this because your complaining about my comments, you don't accept them, I'm wrong in your opinion. That's fine, you don't have to accept anything l have written, l really don't care.

Wannabe2

chillee said:
Wannabe2 said:
Was a joke, lighten up, we ain't all Morons like you think we are, come back down to earth mate, you just might like it. Get a grip.
It's difficult to "lighten up" with a person who has made comments that had they been made in person to me would likely have ending with the police being called.

So far you've gone beyond proving who the moron is.
Sorry oh great one, apologise for that, hope you can forgive me and let bygones be bygones.

KaneDevils

Wannabe for heaven's sake. You say your bored of chillie's posts and he's this and that, stop bloody responding then, and in such a childish manner.

Looking at the bigger picture I agree with chillie on that the capacity is too small. I'm not moaning or being critical at anyone, that's my honest view.

Why on earth some of the regulars are allowed to be so rude and abusive is quite baffling.

Gazza272

KaneDevils said:
Wannabe for heaven's sake. You say your bored of chillie's posts and he's this and that, stop bloody responding then, and in such a childish manner.

Looking at the bigger picture I agree with chillie on that the capacity is too small. I'm not moaning or being critical at anyone, that's my honest view.

Why on earth some of the regulars are allowed to be so rude and abusive is quite baffling.

I think the problem most are having with this discussion is it isnt based in any sort of facts. It's in the realms of ideals, ideally we would have had an NIC like building with 7000 seats in the Height of our powers in the Superleague. It didn't happen.

Given the current economic climate I think a 3000+ arena is a marvellous achievement for the city of Cardiff. And one I am sure we will enjoy for many years.

I am also very confused by the fact that Chillee earlier in the off season you were casting doubt on the affordability of this smaller facility, how in the world can you now go back on that and claim we should have built something bigger? A genuine enquiry as I don't think those two points of view match up.

Hopefully the foundations laid in the next few seasons both literally and figuretively for our club will bear fruit for not just the short term but a medium term, the world and British ice hockey may be ready for our super duper 10,000 arena in 15 years time. Until then we should deal with the here and now and make sure the tools we have we do the absolute best with. I am confident we are in a position to do that.

James said:
KaneDevils said:
They don't. They just get more warnings.
Ive not been following the new arena debate much guys..but has work begun on it? i thought that it was meant to be functional from start of next season?

Foxy

Structure is well and truely up. Have a look at the rink thread stickied at the top of the page. Lots of pictures for viewing.

Completion is August of this year so we should be in for next season.

Id ignore this thread if i was you. Chillee seems to be living in his own little world so much so ive blocked him

Finny

Completion was originally scheduled for May. There were rumours that it was a week or so behind schedule and might be delayed a bit more because they were supposedly moving some of the builders to the housing project as that was further behind schedule.

It's hard to tell on game nights how much more work has been done as it is so dark.

Gazza272 said:
I am also very confused by the fact that Chillee earlier in the off season you were casting doubt on the affordability of this smaller facility, how in the world can you now go back on that and claim we should have built something bigger? A genuine enquiry as I don't think those two points of view match up.
A larger complex will attract both larger more popular events and also add more rent space for commercial businesses. It may not be popular with fans, but to attract businesses such as Whitbread who want volume sales from each site you need foot sales. One requires the other, that's why you'll notice Costa Coffee in places such as Debenhams. A small complex is not unique, the market for events is narrow, already established venues will not roll over for the IAW. Yes we may get other ice sports, but Cardiff has existed without those sports, so who or why would people change. You'd have to have incentives and that would be bad if your reducing your margins from the start.

Hopefully the foundations laid in the next few seasons both literally and figuretively for our club will bear fruit for not just the short term but a medium term, the world and British ice hockey may be ready for our super duper 10,000 arena in 15 years time. Until then we should deal with the here and now and make sure the tools we have we do the absolute best with. I am confident we are in a position to do that.
Again, l never stated Ice Hockey could fill 10,000, 12,000 or 18,000. But having the ability to fill say 6,000 Sunday, 4,000 on Saturday 8,000 next month and so on and so on up to that if required.

Having an arena not attractive to events and relying on 3100 capacity for basically what is likely to be the rest of the Devils history is in my opinion intentionally bad planning or incompetence.

Finny said:
Completion was originally scheduled for May. There were rumours that it was a week or so behind schedule and might be delayed a bit more because they were supposedly moving some of the builders to the housing project as that was further behind schedule.

It's hard to tell on game nights how much more work has been done as it is so dark.
Completion was originally yrs ago. Even the current scheme should have completed by now.

Foxy said:
Structure is well and truely up. Have a look at the rink thread stickied at the top of the page. Lots of pictures for viewing.

Completion is August of this year so we should be in for next season.

Id ignore this thread if i was you. Chillee seems to be living in his own little world so much so ive blocked him
Ignore it and it'll never happen.

Have Hope#35

chillee said:
Gazza272 said:
A larger complex will attract both larger more popular events and also add more rent space for commercial businesses. It may not be popular with fans, but to attract businesses such as Whitbread who want volume sales from each site you need foot sales. One requires the other, that's why you'll notice Costa Coffee in places such as Debenhams. A small complex is not unique, the market for events is narrow, already established venues will not roll over for the IAW. Yes we may get other ice sports, but Cardiff has existed without those sports, so who or why would people change. You'd have to have incentives and that would be bad if your reducing your margins from the start.

Again, l never stated Ice Hockey could fill 10,000, 12,000 or 18,000. But having the ability to fill say 6,000 Sunday, 4,000 on Saturday 8,000 next month and so on and so on up to that if required.

Having an arena not attractive to events and relying on 3100 capacity for basically what is likely to be the rest of the Devils history is in my opinion intentionally bad planning or incompetence.
Surely building something that is 'needed' and that can be profitable based on current demand is far better than developing something that is four times the size, has direct competition in terms of capacity and that could turn out to be, quite literally the big white elephant in the room!
Also Chillee... The Ice Rink has only ever had one 'Programmed' Finish date as the other schemes/proposals never got off the ground, it was therefore always hypothetical! UNTIL NOW

This is copied from Kier 2014 annual report, the only reference to the Cardiff project.

Make of it what you want, but no mention of Ski slope, shops, restaurants etc etc etc.

The increased building of high-rise flats and regeneration projects, particularly in London, has generated significant o pportunities for Kier’s major projects business such as the Argent development at King’s Cross where work on the £74m T1 mixed-use and residential development commenced this year. The £50m Knight Dragon high-rise residential project on the Greenwich Peninsula, where Kier has been appointed as preferred bidder, illustrates the increasing demand in the high-rise sector. Regeneration schemes are also flourishing outside of London, including the £600m Cardiff Pointe mixed-use scheme, where Kier is building the first phase of ninety-eight luxury townhouses and apartments including an ice rink.

Have Hope#35

chillee said:
This is copied from Kier 2014 annual report, the only reference to the Cardiff project.

Make of it what you want, but no mention of Ski slope, shops, restaurants etc etc etc.

The increased building of high-rise flats and regeneration projects, particularly in London, has generated significant o pportunities for Kier’s major projects business such as the Argent development at King’s Cross where work on the £74m T1 mixed-use and residential development commenced this year. The £50m Knight Dragon high-rise residential project on the Greenwich Peninsula, where Kier has been appointed as preferred bidder, illustrates the increasing demand in the high-rise sector. Regeneration schemes are also flourishing outside of London, including the £600m Cardiff Pointe mixed-use scheme, where Kier is building the 'first phase' of ninety-eight luxury townhouses and apartments including an ice rink.
Key bit highlighted above in bold for you above... Ski Slope and Shops were never set out as part of 'Phase 1'. Kier won't be guaranteed to get later phases so they have no reason to mention it!

Have Hope#35 said:
Key bit highlighted above in bold for you above... Ski Slope and Shops were never set out as part of 'Phase 1'. Kier won't be guaranteed to get later phases so they have no reason to mention it!
Yes, I'm well aware. That's the point. Please enlighten me as to who has been appointed phase 2. Since its a 5 yr project and we are in year 2.

The quote below is from 2012. They kinda got it wrong. The same statement was when Planet Ice was to have the contract and a completed stand alone ice rink would have been built by February 2012.

"The ice rink was originally part of our plans for a larger multi-purpose arena but when it became clear that it was going to take longer to deliver the rink in that way, we took the decision to instead progress a stand-alone facility.

"This was important to ensure we could still fulfil our commitment to the users of the rink that we would deliver a permanent ice arena by 2012."