Devils Vs Giants - 6th & 7th December- Chat/Updates

Koop11

Wow! I don’t recall a weekend like that in the BBT. Huge games for us, not just on the context of the league but to beat a team that has owned us in almost every department at home for the last 3 years makes these victories all the better. It sends out a message that we, at home anyway, are one of the toughest teams to beat this season. This was always a massive weekend in the calendar and the lads delivered. It makes next weekend (Sheffield (A) and Braehead (H) ) even bigger!

The Saturday night game was a strange one. I don’t think either team played great and it was a messy affair. The tension however is what made it so gripping to watch. I thought Belfast controlled large parts of the game and it could have gone either way. A 4-1 scoreline was flattering but our desire and work rate gave us the deserved victory. I had Myers as MoM before his two late goals. He was an engine all night – back checking and never giving up on the puck. Loved Hendrix’s hit on Westgarth. Boom!

Last night I thought Belfast would have had to step up the physical element to change things but we jumped on them right from the first face off. Taking an early 2 goal lead I think messed up any game plan that they might have had. Keefe tried to goad Maychan every time a 2 goal lead was taken but great discipline from him. This was a much more dominant performance from us and it was only as tight for so long because of some very soft goals conceded. Some nice finishes from us though. Lord’s in particular (loving his celebration). The guy is a Devil through and through. To top if off we saw the guy who has cheap shot our players for so long get wiped out in the last min of the game. It’s never nice to see a player injured but you know what, it couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. Karma.

I think it’s important to give credit to the officials this weekend. Some of the best I’ve seen in a long time. They kept the game flowing. There was respect shown from both them and the players. Take note Elite League.

It’s been a long time since I enjoyed my hockey this much. This is a truly great team to watch. Please Sir, can I have some more!

Just out of interest, wasn't it Lloyd who ended Vother's career as a Devil with a hit in Belfast. Wonder if he'll be sending Tyson a crate of cold ones after that hit

James

Administrator
Re: Devils Vs Giants - 6th & 7th December- Chat/Updates

Pretty sure it was. He also put Matzka out for the season I seem to remember.

Temme

I never like seeing a player injured, no matter who.

Having said that, pictures on my twitter (@adamtemme) of him being carried off the ice. I've already sent them to Lloyd just in-case he can't remember it.

Get well soon chump.

mazza03

SteveKing said:
Wow. What a great weekend of hockey! The boys played hard, stayed disciplined and showed their skill. The BBT looked and sounded great!!

Yes...the Devils are for real and we're going to be a tough match up for any team. Love it!
I know you and the gang watched the game but boy you missed out on the atmosphere, I was moaning about 2 games against one team ;) but what games, we absolutely smashed them, they didn't know what had hit them, we are such a strong disciplined team they are amazing to watch, thank you fron the bottom of my heart for restoring my love of ice hockey :Banana :Banana :Banana

Temme said:
I never like seeing a player injured, no matter who.

Having said that, pictures on my twitter (@adamtemme) of him being carried off the ice. I've already sent them to Lloyd just in-case he can't remember it.

Get well soon chump.
And where was the retribution? Lloyd has taken liberties in the past because big brother Keefe has jumped in and backed him up. Where was he and Westgarth backing him up, you take one of ours we'll take one of yours. In the last few years its been something we've complained about from the Devils, if I was a Giants fan I'd want to know why nobody stood up for him afteer the hit.

one things for sure Tyson won't be worried about the next Giants game for retribution, tough as nails, doesn't fight often but is there and ready to go. Would guarentee he'd be in on anyone laying a hit on a Devils player like that

Physically we've got Belfast this year, it's great to see.

Foxy

Enjoyed both games this weekend. Didn't think we'd take all 4 points but overall I think its deserved.

Don't often read Kingdom of Giants forum but do read game threads. Glad to see theres at least one fan without teal coloured glasses on. Acsmyth take a bow :D

Foxy

SteveKing said:
Gotta say I'm really fired up for this weekend. I've got the big screen computer set up to watch both games with my boys and Brian, Kelly and Craig are all coming over on Sunday to watch it with me.

Let's teach those Giants a lesson. These ones might mean just a bit more to TK than the rest...

COME ON U DEVILS!
well did you enjoy......
The boys have done you proud this weekend :)

Devil_Abroad

From the Giants Forum - Padywack41

It was a poor display against a team who IMHO werent any great shakes. It wasnt helped by two refs who made me want to shout for Mike Hicks and his twin brother.

I take onboard what leafy says about playing with injuries and not wanting to shorten the bench any further but there comes a time in a game when you are never going to pull it back (especially in a double header) where you really need to show your intent for the next game and with the Giants tamely giving up, that point never came.

There may be injury excuses but to me the biggest weaknesses in the team this year are Brookewell who isnt a patch on last and really isnt using his size the way he should as a D Man, Peaks who for whatever reason despite giving 100% can seem to get any sort of consistency and McCutcheon who in his few games back from injury really has showed a lack of skill on the puck and gets pushed off it all too easily.

Soon however, rightly or wrongly, the focus of blame is going to be turning towards Thornton. Yes we have injuries, but to continually recycle the line that the league is that much better this year I think is a little bit of a red herring. Yes teams have improved (Sheffield/Braehead) but others have gotten worse (Dundee/Coventry), And the rest have remained the same so i dont want our season to end up being summarised by "we we sort of ok...but other teams got a bit better).

Maybe tonight will show us the real Giants...i hope so as I hate sitting in the BBT getting beat but even if we win 0 - 10 tonight it shouldnt hide the lack of consistency that we have showed away from home this season...changes really do need to be made.
So Devils are no better and no worse than last year. The refs on Saturday were worse than 2 Hicks.

Awesome pair of results Devils - looking forward to coming home for Christmas :)

some of you lot should hang your heads in shame ....booing a injured player off the ice after a late and dangerous hit by Marsh. we all know that Lloyd is the player you all love to hate, but to actually boo an injured player is a disgrace, and you lot have the cheek to call other supporters classless.
I would expect some kind of retribution from DOPS and am sure you lot will moan on and on if he gets a ban.

Like I said in a earlier post Devils totally deserved the 4pt weekend and played two very good games, but if other supporters had reacted like some of your fans did to an injured player, im sure there would have been page after page of complaints on here about it.
I have always enjoyed the support and vocal backing your fans give to your team whenever they visit Belfast, now unfortunately some of the more moronic ones have me changing my opinions on that.

James

Administrator
Keefe got some boos when he was awarded MoM, I'll admit I didn't hear any when Lloyd was carried off. I was surprised how long the refs left it before whistling off the play with a man down prone. As for the hit, I didn't actually see it so can't comment, but Lloyd has handed out enough cheap, dirty plays on players and ended enough players seasons if not careers for me not to be overly concerned with his well-being. We are going to need Marsh this weekend against the top 2 teams but if he is banned, it would be worth it if it makes Lloyd think twice before hospitalising another player.

Rempel16

Definitely no booing from block 2 (which incidentally is right next to the away fans??)... In fact he was applauded by most that i saw and i specifically looked around as i was intrigued about the reaction he would get.

I didn't see the hit to see if it warrants a ban, but not one Giants player stepped up to Marsh, which suggests that maybe it wasn't actually all that bad - can anyone who got a clear view offer an opinion?

Great team performance from the Devils on both nights and well deserved 4 points.

Sheincar

WheresWally said:
some of you lot should hang your heads in shame ....booing a injured player off the ice after a late and dangerous hit by Marsh. we all know that Lloyd is the player you all love to hate, but to actually boo an injured player is a disgrace, and you lot have the cheek to call other supporters classless.
I would expect some kind of retribution from DOPS and am sure you lot will moan on and on if he gets a ban.

Like I said in a earlier post Devils totally deserved the 4pt weekend and played two very good games, but if other supporters had reacted like some of your fans did to an injured player, im sure there would have been page after page of complaints on here about it.
I have always enjoyed the support and vocal backing your fans give to your team whenever they visit Belfast, now unfortunately some of the more moronic ones have me changing my opinions on that.
This from fans in Belfast who cheered when Voth was badly injured in Belfast.

DevilDom

WheresWally said:

I never heard any booing of Lloyd, in fact he was somewhat surprisingly given a round of applause when carried off. I did hear some for Keefe when given MOM which was out of order, although saying that when we were in Belfast the Devils MOM was booed both nights. It is however difficult to feel too sorry for a player who has IMO gone out to intentionally injure Devils players in the past and succeeded in some cases. What comes around goes around.

WheresWally said:

Sorry I also didn't hear any booing towards Lloyd from Block 4, have to admit though I certainly didn't clap him off the ice, didn't feel the need for someone who has been one of the dirtiest players in the league over the past few years. As someone else said karma.
If the DOPS review it and decide further punishment is required, so be it.

Have Hope#35

WheresWally said:

Think you're very much mistaken... With there only being 15secs left in the game the fans even stopped the celebratory chanting that always takes place during the last minute or so when we're winning by more than 1goal! As for the boo's I think you're imagining things... There were none, however they'd have been justified for that dirty moron! As for any ban, if Marsh hit the numbers and he gets one then I know I for one will just suck it up and move on... Pretty sure you're just searching for negatives to throw at us!

WheresWally said:

Don't believe there was any booing, just a lack of sympathy for a player who has injured many opponents over the years

Also didn't hear any booing.

I noticed fans on the far side continued chanting Devils and immediately thought 'some' Giants fans would probably complain how classless Devils fans are, but to be fair to them it was the fans on Lloyd's side of the rink who probably couldn't see that he had stayed down.

As soon it was clear he was hurt and the trainer/doctor came on the few still chanting stopped and when he got up he was applauded off by the the majority of the rink.

Also would have given Mason MOM instead of Keefe. Barely left the ice all weekend, didn't look tired even towards the end and scored a sweet short-handed goal.

Awesome weekend for us though and a top atmosphere in both games, the weekends can't come fast enough this year! :Banana