Devils v Panthers - 30/11 @ 19:30 - League - Chat/Updates

James

Administrator
I honestly thought they were going to shut us out too till we stepped up the game in the third. They looked very aggressive on the pk and very well drilled on the PP. I think the second PP they had we only got control of the puck in the last 2 seconds. I'm not sure what McGratton adds really. Doucets goal was a bit of a 50-50 call so difficult for Hicks without benefit of video replay. I'm happy he called it as a Devils fan but could see why the panthers would be upset. Having said that I suspect we still had another gear to go in the third if it wasn't given. Bit of a dick move by Corey to measure the stick, especially when they were 2 players down. When was the last time we saw it called? I remember Newcastle calling it on us at the BBT and Payette scrambling for a new stick the other end of their bench as his was clearly illegal too.

Can someone please explain to me what the issue was with Asselin's stick? And how does a team allow 'illegal equipment' on the ice? Do players tamper with the sticks, or how do they get that way? And don't the teams check their own equipment to make sure it's legal?

pjj365

I honestly thought they were going to shut us out too till we stepped up the game in the third. They looked very aggressive on the pk and very well drilled on the PP. I think the second PP they had we only got control of the puck in the last 2 seconds. I'm not sure what McGratton adds really. Doucets goal was a bit of a 50-50 call so difficult for Hicks without benefit of video replay. I'm happy he called it as a Devils fan but could see why the panthers would be upset. Having said that I suspect we still had another gear to go in the third if it wasn't given. Bit of a dick move by Corey to measure the stick, especially when they were 2 players down. When was the last time we saw it called? I remember Newcastle calling it on us at the BBT and Payette scrambling for a new stick the other end of their bench as his was clearly illegal too.
It was a desperate move by Corey to try and balance the odds. In the numbers sense it worked. Such a contrast from a coach that thinks to Thomo who gets angry and bullying.

Dick or not I know the one I would like on my side

Have Hope#35

I thoguht Ulmer had 3 really good chances last night, all flew over the crossbar. I'm confident it will come
I agree... Last few games he's played he seems to have had a fair few Grade A chances and they're just not going in for him, think he's even hit the post on a few occassions! He is good defensively and I like his workrate but I would like to see him up his forecheck a bit whilst he's going through this drought. Hopefully he can pinch a couple of dirty goals over the Christmas Period and really get his season started, much like Doucet!

Last edited:

august04

I thought the stick measure was a great call by Nielsen. He had nothing to lose as they already had 2 men in the penalty box, and it gave them half a chance of trying to get something out of the game instead of facing a 5 on 3. It used to happen more often, haven't seen it called for a while. I'm sure other coaches will have noted that though so Asselin needs to be careful or we could be on the end of a few more requests. What was frustrating was that it took so long to measure the curve, nobody seemed to know where the device was!

Earnie

Last time I recall 'measuring the stick' challenge I think Mike Blaisdale was coach in Nottingham!
I think in reality there are loads of illegal sticks around but no-one cares very much . How did he know to pick on Assalin? The broad end of the stick must not measure more than three inches. I watched Hicks pass it through a slot in the template and it got stuck. Too much tape could cause that. You also measure the curvature of the blade but there was no point since it had failed the first test.
Good call by Neilson, don't blame him at all. He was in a tight spot facing a five on three and had run out of time on the clock.
Hope this does not start a trend.

Russky

I thought the stick incident was pure gamesmanship by the Panthers coaching team to deflect the refs attention from what should have been a penalty against a Panthers player. The league needs to stamp down on this before it gets to be a 'customary tactic'

Last edited:

James

Administrator
If it had just been the Farmer penalty I'd have said it was a good call. In reality they were still on a PK though so all it meant was they could pull the goalie and force a 5 on 5. I appreciate he did what he had to do to try and win, it seemed more desperation than tactics at that point though.

Have Hope#35

In fairness tonight our second goal should never have been, we got a lucky break. i thought in periods 1 and two we were out hit and were on the road to a narrow loss. it was for me frustrating to get banged about in that way. then in third we stepped up the physicality, got the crowd going and started winning almost every 50/50 puck . we're certainly a strange old team in that way!
Some things that i noticed:
*goal judge had "some women's seat" sticker that made me laugh
*assalin's stick measure- only second time I've ever seen that.
*agree reference the ulmer points on here he really isnt clicking at all.
*bowns made a couple of quite outrageous saves in the second to keep us in it.
* again we keep our heads and an opponent loses their rag and gives us the opportunity to win at a canter, nice one punchbag farmer!
Disagree regarding the second goal... I wasn't sure on the night as I'd only seen it once and you can't tell where his stick was at the point of contact with the puck! However having seen the Highlights and the slow-mo replay if you freeze it at 6:49 which is when Doucet makes contact I'd argue that it's below the crossbar. Whichever way we as fans see it though it's a really tough call for Hicks and I have sympathy for him on this one occassion :D

youngbob

Can someone please explain to me what the issue was with Asselin's stick? And how does a team allow 'illegal equipment' on the ice? Do players tamper with the sticks, or how do they get that way? And don't the teams check their own equipment to make sure it's legal?
This is from IIHF rule book

RULE 41 – MEASUREMENT OF A PLAYER’S EQUIPMENT

i. A referee may request the measuring of any piece of equipment at any time. If he rules that it does not conform to IIHF standards in the rules set out here, it will be considered dangerous equipment and cannot be used during game action until it has been adjusted in accordance with these rules or with IIHF standards.
v. The referee will make the necessary measurement immediately. If the complaint is invalid, the requesting team will be assessed a bench-minor penalty. If the complaint is upheld, the offending player will be assessed a minor penalty and the illegal equipment will be returned to the player’s bench by the referee. vi. The request is limited to one measurement and

Of course, it doesn't actually tell you what the IIHF standard is...

It relates to the curvature and size of the blade, which could give the player an advantage if "modified" outside the standards

I haven't seen it for several years, but I don't think I've ever seen the penalised player object, so it's probably quite common

dave

Blade Length no more than 32 cm

And curve not exceed 1.5 cm in height when measured from a straight line form heel to toe.

Width between 5-7.5 cm

Gospel

We ground out a result last night and that's all that matters. Win ugly is better than losing pretty.

Stick measuring I thought was a great call by Corey. Something to keep up the sleeve for dire emergency and last night was that for the Panties. Devils really need to be careful from now on as others will look to do the same.

The disrespect from players & coaches needs to be stamped out now if not it will escalate beyond control and some nasty incidents will happen. Any disrespect towards officials should be punished and its great to see that Hicks has penalised McGrattan for his outburst after the match. I also think financial penalties should be imposed on players to as other wise it makes no difference.

Russky

@youngbob or Dave: does it specify solely the referee? or when prompted by the opposing coach? who is deparately trying to distract the refs attention away from his own player's misdemeanour?

Last edited by a moderator:

youngbob

does it specify solely the referee? or when prompted by the opposing coach? when trying distract the refs attention away from his own player's misdemeanour?
had tried not to do the whole thing!

It's captain or alternate captain who actually make the request for the opposing team (iv.), though I'd assume they're doing it on behalf of the coach

RULE 41 – MEASUREMENT OF A PLAYER’S EQUIPMENT
i. A referee may request the measuring of any piece of equipment at any time. If he rules that it does not conform to IIHF standards in the rules set out here, it will be considered dangerous equipment and cannot be used during game action until it has been adjusted in accordance with these rules or with IIHF standards.
ii. No goal can be disallowed as a result of illegal equipment.
iii. The measuring of a skater’s equipment is limited to sticks.
iv. The captain or alternate captain of a team is the only player who may make a formal complaint to the referee against the specific dimensions of any opponent’s equipment. He may do so at any stoppage of play or prior to the start of any period.
v. The referee will make the necessary measurement immediately. If the complaint is invalid, the requesting team will be assessed a bench-minor penalty. If the complaint is upheld, the offending player will be assessed a minor penalty and the illegal equipment will be returned to the player’s bench by the referee.
vi. The request is limited to one measurement and one team at any stoppage of play, but a captain can make as many requests for measurement as he wants over the course of a game.
vii. If the captain of a team that is two men short in the last two minutes of the game or at any time in overtime requests an equipment measurement that is invalid, the referee will award a penalty shot against the requesting team. If the measurement is upheld, the offending player will be assessed a minor penalty.
viii. The player whose stick is to be measured must be holding the stick at the time the request is made. He may be on the bench or on the ice, but the referee must make visual confirmation that the stick in question belongs to the player.
ix. If a stick is deemed illegal, the offending skater must enter the penalty box immediately, and a teammate is allowed to bring him another stick. The referee will return the illegal stick to the team’s players’ bench, and if the team alters the stick to legal dimensions, it can be used again. As a result, it can also be measured again.
x. If the referee is unable to use the curve gauge for whatever reason to measure the curvature of a stick, the stick will be considered illegal and be removed from the game. However, no penalty will be assessed to either team.
xi. There can be a measurement of a player’s or goaltender’s stick anytime in overtime or the penalty-shot shootout or any time from the start of the game until its conclusion.

Rules often come up as a discussion topic, they can be found here

http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PDF/Sport/IIHF_Official_Rule_Book_2014-18_Web_V6.pdf

terry hunt

I expected to see Louis play last night if fit.I think we needed his size against some very big Panthers forwards.I thought the first 2 periods were poor both teams looked sluggish unlike the last meeting at Cardiff.
I have got mixed feelings about Ulmer.He is no doubt a great worker and he gets in good scoring positions but wastes his chances but Doucet was like this early season till he clicked so i dont think we should give up on him yet.
The last few minutes were surprising by the Panthers that was more like Thommo or Finnerty.

Wannabe2

Anyway getting back to the game, we were slow to get off the mark last night, and Panthers took advantage of that, first period not a spectacle with lots of penalty minutes. Second period we go behind and it's looking like it's going to be one of those days, however the Panthers Nettie is having a great game, lucky for us so is Bownsy. Third period and again this team says to everyone it ain't over till it's over, and their believe in the team and each other again shines through, puts the doubters me included to shame showing what they really are about. We may not show up for the 60 mins, but when we do show up, boy do we show up. We now need to show up in our droves on Saturday, and don't forget it's air the bear.

Russky

We may not show up for the 60 mins, but when we do show up, boy do we show up. We now need to show up in our droves on Saturday, and don't forget it's air the bear.
Agreed Glynne.

Don't forget folks that if you cant get to the game or have access to the webcast, MNL will be covering the game too, with myself in the hosting hotseat. Starting our coverage from 6:30pm on Saturday.