Devils v Panthers - 30/11 @ 19:30 - League - Chat/Updates

jenks33

I know it's all opinions but for me Ulmer is doing everything but put points on the board. His face off ability is among the best and his work rate is unreal. So often he's the first forward back in a defensive position after a turnover.

With regards to benti, he has produced a few magic moments at home, that backhand goal against Belfast for 1, but I think the key is when these two click together. Admittedly, I though these two would come into the league as a ready made dream pairing and would hit it from the off. I think it's just taking slightly longer than we all expected.

Very true with your first point but if we keep winning I don't really care if we go two or three behind..
Like I said I don't question his effort one bit. For me though he's doing everything at the moment that you could get out of a third liner. I think I'm right in saying that tonight was his 20th league game and he's got 3 goals. It's just not enough. Sheffield are going to come back strong in the next 4 weeks and we need 2 lines firing

Foxy

Getting so fed up of sour grapes from other teams. Devils win its all the refs faults. So many complaints about misconducts being handed out. For god sake all their players need to do is keep their mouths shut then they wont be handed out...... and as for getting penalised for throwing bottles onto the ice... yeah they were made to throw it.... Panthers played well we played better... end of

august04

He didn't look injured on the weekend, he was on fire! Did he take part in the warm up, can't say I noticed? Slight knock eh....

bdevil

He didn't look injured on the weekend, he was on fire! Did he take part in the warm up, can't say I noticed? Slight knock eh....
He did take a nasty hit from Fitzgerald into the steelers bench Sunday and as far as I remember didn't ice as much after that.. Could have been that but who knows

august04

It must be that, on form he would not be scratched for me. Unfortunately his ability to play anywhere I think may count against him at times when injured players return to their normal positions. In some ways, because of his versatility, he could be perceived to be the obvious healthy scratch. As I mentioned, I'd be resting several others before considering sitting Culligan when everyone is fit.

Rob Batch

My glass isn't half empty, or half full. My proverbial glass is full !! I really enjoyed the game tonight, , and i'm slightly bemused as to why some are unhappy. All our team are quality, it's inevitable that some will hit form or have a poor streak from time to time. I don't think we have any issues with anyone in this team. It seems to me that everything is going according to 'Plan A' ... A good birthday!!

Last edited:

jimmy snels

In fairness tonight our second goal should never have been, we got a lucky break. i thought in periods 1 and two we were out hit and were on the road to a narrow loss. it was for me frustrating to get banged about in that way. then in third we stepped up the physicality, got the crowd going and started winning almost every 50/50 puck . we're certainly a strange old team in that way!
Some things that i noticed:
*goal judge had "some women's seat" sticker that made me laugh
*assalin's stick measure- only second time I've ever seen that.
*agree reference the ulmer points on here he really isnt clicking at all.
*bowns made a couple of quite outrageous saves in the second to keep us in it.
* again we keep our heads and an opponent loses their rag and gives us the opportunity to win at a canter, nice one punchbag farmer!

BostonBart22

Panthers fans and players looked very upset with the last call on Farmer. I had a great view of it, and hope the reply catches it.
Wasn't elbowing, but a check to the head of Fournier. Fournier had his head against the boards and looking the other way. If the reply has it from a good angle , definitely worth a dops gamble.
there is no way devils will send this to dops, wether it was a check to the head or not, panthers play steelers twice this weekend .

Gazza272

Ulmer is in the exact same situation Doucet was beginning of the year, the effort is the there but just can't get that puck in the net. Once one goes in then he will start flying.

With our scoring depth so far this year i'm not troubled by Ulmer while he continues to contribute defensively and in the face off circle. I would consider maybe breaking him and Benti up as an experiment this weekend to see if this gets them both a different take on things.

august04

Ulmer is in the exact same situation Doucet was beginning of the year, the effort is the there but just can't get that puck in the net. Once one goes in then he will start flying.

With our scoring depth so far this year i'm not troubled by Ulmer while he continues to contribute defensively and in the face off circle. I would consider maybe breaking him and Benti up as an experiment this weekend to see if this gets them both a different take on things.
I hope you're right about Ulmer. When Doucet was on his scoring drought, he was still getting lots of chances, just couldn't buy a goal - then they started going in. I'm not sure you can say the same about Ulmer.

matbur

A win is a win and if we're taking points when not at our best then it's encouraging, but again last night I didn't fancy us to score 5 vs 5 when we were trailing.

What is pleasing is the character we're showing to make those third period comebacks and that says a lot to me about the spirit and focus in the side.

I've read a couple of posts about that second line and lack of secondary scoring. What about putting Doucet on there - he's obviously the form guy right now - or swapping the second and third line over?

Kal

I thought we looked quite dominant for alot of the game, i was a bit worried that we were never gonna get one in though. Ulmer seemed to be on the end of all the big chances in 1 and 2 and he's getting no luck at all. Louis had a great first game back, looked quicker and sharper than i remember.

Noticed Bordy shook hands at the end instead of fist bumps, if that was an injury thing he seems to be over it.

Rich Best

Ulmer is contributing fantastically - huge work rate. Maybe he'll be our guy that hits scoring form with clutch goals down the stretch. Who knows. Overall contribution is huge though imo.

I noticed that bordy was shaking hands again also. A great time for him to be back fit again with our tough but crucial schedule in December!

Finny

Ulmer might not be scoring the goals but he has been helping score the goals lately. 2 assists against Sheffield and 1 in Coventry. It was also he who jumped to pluck the puck out of the air in Sheffield which led to our first goal and our comeback victory.

With regards last nights game, I thought the first period was flat and then we played very poorly in the second. Third period we were back to our best, upped our physicality and dominated them for long spells and deserved the win.

Not too sure why the Panthers lost their heads in those final minutes. From where we were in that corner it looked an obvious (and nasty) elbow to the head by Farmer. He'd personally lost his focus minutes earlier after a silly offside call and was then wound up by the Devils bench, but that doesn't explain the rest of his team.