Devils v Panthers - 30/11 @ 19:30 - League - Chat/Updates

dave

@youngbob or Dave: does it specify solely the referee? or when prompted by the opposing coach? who is deparately trying to distract the refs attention away from his own player's misdemeanour?
Note sure what you mean to be honest as we had 2 penalties on the play so they knew they were facing a 5 on 3 and the ref will not forget why he has blown the whistle... The call has to come form the opposition team during a stoppage in play and in this case with a short time to go is when you would expect it in the past. And as Yougbob says normally teh call will come form the coach to a c or a on the ice. A while back there was a gentlesman agreement that no team would do it but even at this point of the season all points are vital so I was sirprised but not shocked. In years gone by most players that were being called would have one stick on the rack that was fully checked etc. and would switch to that. Claude Dumas's Curve you could spot a mile off!!

august04

I think there are some outrageous comments from Nielsen in that article. Not only criticising the referee but accusing the Devils of repeated 'diving'. They obviously have a beef over the second goal but I've watched the slo-mo several times and still have no idea whether it was touched by a high stick. Some you get, some you don't - move on. But to accuse the Devils of diving (cheating in effect) is just not on (I have no idea which situations he's even referring to from last night where diving could have been interpreted?). The league need to grow some balls and start disciplining players/coaches for these post game attacks on referees. It's totally unacceptable.

Ocko

I thought the stick incident was pure gamesmanship by the Panthers coaching team to deflect the refs attention from what should have been a penalty against a Panthers player. The league needs to stamp down on this before it gets to be a 'customary tactic'
Dont quite understand what you mean, the refs still called the correct penalties on the Panthers player. It wasnt to distract the refs at all, surely you dont believe the ref would actually forget the original call he made on the play because of this?

How can the league clamp down on illegal stick calls? Firstly, its the first one in years and secondly it's a legitimate rule and always has been. If they were incorrect they sit a minor. It's a gamble and they had absolutely nothing to lose. It wouldve been a great call if they pulled it off.

Devil_Abroad

There were a handful of occasions last night especially in the third where Devils were crosschecked from behind and went down. If you don't want the guys going down then don't cross check them doh. As for the comment about biased officials at Cardiff home games it seems that no action against Paul Thompson has meant open season on referees. The EIHL need to stamp this out now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kettdevil1

Dont quite understand what you mean, the refs still called the correct penalties on the Panthers player. It wasnt to distract the refs at all, surely you dont believe the ref would actually forget the original call he made on the play because of this?

How can the league clamp down on illegal stick calls? Firstly, its the first one in years and secondly it's a legitimate rule and always has been. If they were incorrect they sit a minor. It's a gamble and they had absolutely nothing to lose. It wouldve been a great call if they pulled it off.
Yep, agree, Chris McSorley used to use this tactic constantly back in th days of the Superleague, it used to make him a pantomime baddie (although there were numerous other reasons for that as well) but it was always surprising how often the tactic worked.

Russky

I was being cynical in thinking that the Panthers had said to the ref about Asselin's stick to try and distract him from the reason to his original reason for whistling down play. My point really was Why did the Panthers query it then and not earlier in the game, which was really my point, if they really had an 'issue' with Asselin's stick and it not conforming to regulations.

whilst in my cynicism, I was actually talking about team Coaches making erroneous challenges to opposing teams equipment in an effort to take the refs attention off any misdemeanors committed by their own players. This is what the league needs to 'nip in the bud' before it becomes a widespread practice.

As for Nielsons comments about the Devils players diving, they are totally out of order. He needs to look at his own roster of players before he makes such accusations.

Last edited:

Finny

I was being cynical in thinking that the Panthers had said to the ref about Asselin's stick to try and distract him from the reason to his original reason for whistling down play. My point really was Why did the Panthers query it then and not earlier in the game, which was really my point, if they really had an 'issue' with Asselin's stick and it not conforming to regulations.
Because they had nothing to lose. If they had done it earlier in the game and been wrong, they'd have had a penalty called against themselves.
At this point though they were already facing a 3-on-5 PK with 92 seconds left. If they got it wrong they'd still be killing the same 3-on-5. Nothing to lose.

Russky

Because they had nothing to lose. If they had done it earlier in the game and been wrong, they'd have had a penalty called against themselves.
At this point though they were already facing a 3-on-5 PK with 92 seconds left. If they got it wrong they'd still be killing the same 3-on-5. Nothing to lose.
That as may be but it still smacks of gamesmanship to me.

KaneDevils

Not a great performance last night, but a win and a very big 2 points.
I thought we looked laboured and a little lethargic overall and had several great scoring chances only to fire the puck straight at wiikman.
When we equalised, only then did we start to play. Thought our second goal was high sticks but I'm yet to see the replay. The call on farmer was a definite penalty although hicks called it something it wasn't. The worst call of the night was pigott for roughing, but that will be forgotten as the Panthers didn't score on the resulting pp.
It's vitally important to win games when not at your best, were doing that, and it could prove vital as the race unfolds.

Just a quick shout out to ice time for the webcast. I've been critical but honest in the past, I mean it's frustrating when your looking forward to the game and it plays up, but Last night it was excellent. The lads on commentary are great too. All in all, top, top job!!

I think some contributors to this thread should learn the rules as Funny said it was a non loss to Panthers. It was a brilliant call that ensured that the Panthers had a 4 on 5 or 5 on 5 when nm was lifted. It is extremely rare for an illegal equipment call to be GAIN only

Gough60

Seem to remember the illegal stick call often used during the Superleague era.
Usually by the team behind, usually with less than 4 min to go and almost always on the netminders
Stick.
Getting a bit monotonous now with coaches moaning at officials at Devils games. Cory was probably
upset at having to see on the big screens what is one of my favourite you tube clips. Him being flattened by Mr Weller at the tent.

Earnie

A little bit off topic - I gather that the two clubs who have not got goal line video equipment installed are Nottingham and Braehead. Maybe Santa will help out?

Wannabe2

Looks official then.Finnerty,Thommo and now Neilson saying we are cheats and officiating at Cardiff home games is suspect.
I wonder how we manage to win away from home then?
Okay this is what we do, because the officials are so stupid we tell them even when we are the away team, that we are the home team, and them being so daft believe us and call everything our way, but don't tell anyone as it's a secret.

Electro

If only Nottingham and Sheffield weren't so dumb they could've just paid off officials.

Last night showed there is need to not only change a few things, but also light a few fires under a few rear ends. I've said it before that a few teams in this league are not very good, some are utter rubbish and others are just scraping wins.

I don't believe 2016/17 is going in the history books as a great competition.

Welshy74

It's quite clever. Putting the pressure on the refs now every time we play at home and maybe putting some doubt in their minds on 50/50 calls. Rugby coaches do it all the time.

If only Nottingham and Sheffield weren't so dumb they could've just paid off officials.

Last night showed there is need to not only change a few things, but also light a few fires under a few rear ends. I've said it before that a few teams in this league are not very good, some are utter rubbish and others are just scraping wins.

I don't believe 2016/17 is going in the history books as a great competition.

So.....you believe that a few teams in this league are somewhere between "not very good" and "utter rubbish". I'm assuming this is comparing this years EIHL teams against (recent) previous years EIHL teams? or are you looking further back? Not arguing but just seems harsh even though I have only been watching for the last 6 years.

Which teams are part of your "a few teams"?.....Most comments I have seen over the last 6 years seem to suggest a better standard year on year pretty much across the whole league. Also how does the game last night highlight issues for the 8 other EIHL teams?

I doubt there will ever be a "History Book" on British Ice Hockey! :) Maybe Amazon would be interested?

BostonBart22

Seem to remember the illegal stick call often used during the Superleague era.
Usually by the team behind, usually with less than 4 min to go and almost always on the netminders
Stick.
Getting a bit monotonous now with coaches moaning at officials at Devils games. Cory was probably
upset at having to see on the big screens what is one of my favourite you tube clips. Him being flattened by Mr Weller at the tent.
yes your right it did happen a lot in those superleague years. i seem to remember a nettie being pulled for his leg pads. either they were to big or wide , cant remember which, but he had to change them, may have been leinham steelers nm