Devils v Giants - 05/09 - League - 6:00pm

wildthing74

Then why instigate? He was the one that made a big show for the home fans to start the fight. Every tough guy knows the rules.To be honest I think he was mad to fight as to me he did not look with it.Maybe the adrenalin took over but he was on a hiding to nothing from the start but for me if you step up then you know how these guys play it.

voth26

jester said:
A coward lol he had a huge cut over his eye and had been smashed into the boards,yet he still got up and went with Voth :shock:
His choice to do so,perhaps he thought voth would laugh and skate away :roll: :roll:

Rempel16

wildthing74 said:
Then why instigate? He was the one that made a big show for the home fans to start the fight. Every tough guy knows the rules.To be honest I think he was mad to fight as to me he did not look with it.Maybe the adrenalin took over but he was on a hiding to nothing from the start but for me if you step up then you know how these guys play it.
I would have been pretty unhappy with my teammates if I was Clark. Not one of them stood up for him.

i traveled up from basingstoke 250 mile round trip i wish i did not bother the quality of play was rubbish i think the bison would of given both teams a run for there money with an EPL team passing was so bad cardiff did not move at all on attack just stood still it was dump and chase all the way i really hope the team improves in the comming weeks

osh

devson said:
i traveled up from basingstoke 250 mile round trip i wish i did not bother the quality of play was rubbish i think the bison would of given both teams a run for there money with an EPL team passing was so bad cardiff did not move at all on attack just stood still it was dump and chase all the way i really hope the team improves in the comming weeks
I was also surprised how often we resorted to dumping the puck ( and not just on line changes ) however, maybe that was due to the Giants pressure as they seemed to be camped in our D zone for long periods of time. Liked the work rate of Benedict last night, rate him highly ( and he's got a nasty streak in him too!) It's not the sort of hockey any of us want to see, but its early days yet and whilst I'm not G's greatest fan, I feel it only fair to give him a decent period of time to get this team going.

Mooney#16

It was dump and chase with an agressive forecheck that got them back into the game. Puck possession through the nuetral zone got them two goals down. Credit to G and Franny for changing the game plan to get back into the game. There's nothing wrong with dump and chase. It works.

Finny

A lot of the clever passes we tried didn't work, but hopefully with a couple more games under their belts they will start to.
Yes we were beaten tonight but I don't think anyone can argue that the better side didn't win. However, all you can do is try and I felt the players did that last night. After the reports that the effort wasn't there in Sheffield I was worried we would collapse again after conceeding two quick goals. But the players dug in and got themselves back into the game. The Giants PP was very good and I think they only scored 1 of their goals when 5-on-5.

After watching the past couple of games and looking at the results, I think that the fact Sheffield, Nottingham and Belfast have spent big money this season means it will be a 3 horse race. Us and Coventry will the be battling it out for 4th with everyone else battling for 6th to 10th.

Unfortuantely we aren't going to be able to compete with the big arena teams until we get our own new home (or until a wagecap is properly in place), and the fact that it will be under Planet Ice's ownership does worry me even more.

DevilDom

Just checked some stats (sorry Finny not trying to steal your niche) because of how poor our PP has been (IMO) and I make it 0/14 from the 2 games we have played! This needs to be sorted ASAP.

Finny - agree with you on the likely finish, however after all the build-up and the management saying we have got a team to challenge for the title, to be saying we are (again) likely to finish 4th or 5th after 2 games is really disappointing. I know it's early days yet and things can change but the apparent difference in class between the likely top 3 and us seems a gulf that will be very difficult to breach.

I'm not slagging the team off or G (yet anyway!) because we are what we are and I do think they will improve but the expectations have been built up way too high IMO and this weekend has been a huge reality check. I know they need to build up some expectation for sponsors and season tickets etc. but it feels like Fulham saying they can win the premiership at the moment!

Aftergoing 2 down we owned the rest of the 1st period and rightfully got back level 2nd period was more to the giants but not alot happened and ended 3-3 to be honest i think our legs went a little in the 3rd and the giants just had a little more quality to take the W.

ASHIPP

The better team deservedly won last night in a match requiring more skill than toughness. Giants took what chances they had and delivered. I was hoping to see from the Devils composed play, a defence unit in lock down (a defining characteristic in our previous excellent home win record for past 2 years) and forward lines starting to deliver. I'm afraid I saw little of any of that last night.

2 early EASY goals gifted to the Giants characterised the shaky and incoherent start for the Devils. Stevie's confidence seemed to ebb and flow with the performance of the defence unit. And it took 2 of our defencemen (superb goal by G - highlight of the game for me) to keep the Devils in the chase after Maxi's goal. Where is the pool of talent we have been told exists in the forward lines? 2 or 3 sitting empty net opportunities missed and pp were very poor. :twisted:

Lapses in concentration, players out of position (even Stevie shouted and shrugged his shoulders at one) and under/overpassing the puck. They didn't seem to be able to keep hold of the puck in ANY zone leading to very little passing and the usual risky dump, chip and chase. :twisted:

Anyone else missing the reassuring composure and instinctiveness of Jarvo and Hartwick on defence? I'm not ashamed to admit I am. Without their kind of co-herence, the Devils will continue to leak goals. Unless the forwards are world beaters, matches will NEVER be won like that. That was proven over the weekend: Goals conceded by Devils = 9 ; Goals scored = 4

Let's hope for a major improvement next weekend. Remind me again who the opposition is? Oh yes, Nottingham away :shock: and Sheffield at home :shock: . Mind you, the Devils have traditionally been slow starters every season........... :D
I get it that all the hype about the team is important to attract new supporters to the Club, but now it's really time for less promise...and more delivery.

Mooney#16

Just a small point. Can you tell them how they might put it right. Might I suggest that if you don't understand how to put it right perhaps your version of how it went wrong is a little of the mark also.

DevilDom

Mooney#16 said:
Just a small point. Can you tell them how they might put it right. Might I suggest that if you don't understand how to put it right perhaps your version of how it went wrong is a little of the mark also.
Surely this is a forum where anyone can express an opinion?

I'm no expert but for me, the first thing the D can work on is their passing out of the Defensive zone. The first things the forwards can work on is their shooting and the PP.

That should be enough for this week. ;)

ASHIPP

Mooney#16 said:
Mooney - I wouldn't have the first clue how to put it right! That's the team and the coach's job, the professionals. Just posted my observations on the match - like a lot of other posters. What's the point in glossing over disappointment at an incoherent performance? No harm in that. You can bet G and the players will be feeling exactly the same.

ASHIPP said:
Anyone else missing the reassuring composure and instinctiveness of Jarvo and Hartwick on defence? I'm not ashamed to admit I am. Without their kind of co-herence, the Devils will continue to leak goals. Unless the forwards are world beaters, matches will NEVER be won like that. That was proven over the weekend: Goals conceded by Devils = 9 ; Goals scored = 4.
Our PP is a big fat 0% which speaks for itself. How many PP goals did Jarvo score last year? We seemed to knock the puck around quite well on the PP but just can't find the net (which is what counts really). IMO Jarvis hasn't been properly replaced.

Hartwick never had heaps of praise but he was brilliant at what he done. He really kept guys like Szwez quiet in the tent last year.

I still think our D is quite a good unit (not as good as Sheffield or Belfast mind), on paper, but they haven't performed well on ice yet. Hopefully we'll see a more solid performance against the Panthers saturday, and boy we're gunna need it with the offence they have.

Early days yet, but we could be 6 points behind already if we don't do well Saturday! C'mon Devils :cool:

wildthing74

I said last night to the guys I go with that we are missing Jarvo big time,especially on the PP.
I'm not a hug e fan of playing 2 forwards as point men at the same time either.

Mooney#16

You're allowed an opinion by all means. Just saying the opinion is worth alot more if you can balance the errors you see with offering some opinion on how they are fixed. After 8 pages of nothing more intuitive than that was rubbish the patience wheres thin. Not being personal so apologies.

The Devils tried to pass and stick handle through the neutral zone in the early first period and it didn't work. They bogged down and seemed to lack the skill required to unlock that path. The Giants D were able to sit back and pick the puck of and turn the rush straight around hence the pressure in the defensive zone.

This answers why the Devils then started to play dump and chase. It wasn't that they were reduced to it. It was a balanced change in game plan that worked with the score board returning to parity by the end of period. Good coaching. As for the rest of the game that was a shoot out that could have gone either way.

As for going forward. The devils need a cohesive game plan to play on home ice. Personally I think dump and chase is the way to go. They are a fast team with good size and the skills to win but not neccessarily the skill to dominate therefore don't try to be to fancy in your break out and gain the offensive zone as quickly as possible with a one or two pass breakout and dump in. That majorly assists the defence in there decision making as if the pass isn't on they can look to reach the red themselves something that was hesitated on a number of times last night.

The forwards do need to address there positioning. The defensive zone coverage was poor. The centres and wings were covering one player on a few occasions. Greater zonal and man on man discipline is required something that will come with training. I would like to see them trust each other more though to carry out there assignment and not try to double up on plays unless completely neccary. Attacking wise I actually thought the team wasn't all that bad. Alot of effort and with some kinder bounces they might have won. I'd just like to see an improvement in getting a second man to the forecheck. There were alot of times where effort was squandered because after initial disruption the second d man got the puck clear because the second forward wasn't in quick enough to take it away. Hopefully if the players know the game plan is to dump in with a two man forecheck then they get the rush on the d before they can identify the second forward.

So in a nutsheel. More dump and chase. Work on the defensive zone coverage issues and also work on getting a second guy in on the forecheck as quickly as possible.

Sorry again if short with people.

ASHIPP

Mooney - a great post and it was a very well balanced analysis of the game. Seems like you might be the one to tell G what needs putting right! ;)
No personal offence taken at all if you thought you were abrupt. Luckily everyone can post their gut-feel comments and observations on here, irrespective of how they feel . But unfortunately not all of us are armchair experts who can pick out how/why a tactic changed, or summise what needs to be done to put something right :oops: - we just watch the match, feel elation if they win/disappointment if they lose and then look forward to the team demonstrating their skills at the next one! :?
Let's look forward to next week's fix at the Tent. :D

DevilDom

Mooney#16 said:
You're allowed an opinion by all means. Just saying the opinion is worth alot more if you can balance the errors you see with offering some opinion on how they are fixed. After 8 pages of nothing more intuitive than that was rubbish the patience wheres thin. Not being personal so apologies.

The Devils tried to pass and stick handle through the neutral zone in the early first period and it didn't work. They bogged down and seemed to lack the skill required to unlock that path. The Giants D were able to sit back and pick the puck of and turn the rush straight around hence the pressure in the defensive zone.

This answers why the Devils then started to play dump and chase. It wasn't that they were reduced to it. It was a balanced change in game plan that worked with the score board returning to parity by the end of period. Good coaching. As for the rest of the game that was a shoot out that could have gone either way.

As for going forward. The devils need a cohesive game plan to play on home ice. Personally I think dump and chase is the way to go. They are a fast team with good size and the skills to win but not neccessarily the skill to dominate therefore don't try to be to fancy in your break out and gain the offensive zone as quickly as possible with a one or two pass breakout and dump in. That majorly assists the defence in there decision making as if the pass isn't on they can look to reach the red themselves something that was hesitated on a number of times last night.

The forwards do need to address there positioning. The defensive zone coverage was poor. The centres and wings were covering one player on a few occasions. Greater zonal and man on man discipline is required something that will come with training. I would like to see them trust each other more though to carry out there assignment and not try to double up on plays unless completely neccary. Attacking wise I actually thought the team wasn't all that bad. Alot of effort and with some kinder bounces they might have won. I'd just like to see an improvement in getting a second man to the forecheck. There were alot of times where effort was squandered because after initial disruption the second d man got the puck clear because the second forward wasn't in quick enough to take it away. Hopefully if the players know the game plan is to dump in with a two man forecheck then they get the rush on the d before they can identify the second forward.

So in a nutsheel. More dump and chase. Work on the defensive zone coverage issues and also work on getting a second guy in on the forecheck as quickly as possible.

Sorry again if short with people.
Yeah - As I said, shoot more and pass better! :lol:
WYou've got my vote if you go for the coach's job! ;)