Devils v Giants - 05/09 - League - 6:00pm

Good away win tonight and a 3 points out of 4 is a good start to the season considering the two away teams we were playing... Can't wait for the first home game next weekend..

A

Anonymous

Shocking again tonite! Dont want to mention names and put players down,but something is not right about this team.
voth never iced after first 10minz due to hand injury from last nites fight. Davies and adams were top notch tonite but thats it. Enough said.

A

Anonymous

Voth thought clark in sheff last nite and hurt his hand. He tried it tonite n never felt comfortable. Attendance was good. About 2000

The ice was terrible although it didn't stop play tonight. The Zamboni was only dry cutting between periods. By the end of the third, the surface water was starting to build up. After half an hour of public skating it was awash. Looks like the plant can't keep the surface temperature down.

Shocking ice, shocking team. The defence is shakey at best and the offence is like a blunt instrument. I can't see this team going anywhere this season. I hope everyone is ready for another mid-table finish. I think the likes of Nottingham, Belfast and Sheffield have really moved this season and unless we bring in one or two players with NHL/AHL experience we will really struggle.

PS - isn't Matzka supposed to be our big star player? I barely noticed hom tonight...

El Supremo said:
Shocking ice, shocking team. The defence is shakey at best and the offence is like a blunt instrument. I can't see this team going anywhere this season. I hope everyone is ready for another mid-table finish. I think the likes of Nottingham, Belfast and Sheffield have really moved this season and unless we bring in one or two players with NHL/AHL experience we will really struggle.

PS - isn't Matzka supposed to be our big star player? I barely noticed hom tonight...
Don't hold back now El, were the hotdogs not to your likeing either :lol: :lol: :lol:

Better performance than last night.

Tough game, could have gone either way. We let in some sloppy goals in though. I just don't think Stevie is seeing the puck well at the moment? Hopefully he'll improve.

Was impressed with all the first line who seemed to be trying hard, and Ben + Tylor (as usual),

Well played G too, I thought he was one of the best players on the ice. I'd still prefer him coach from the bench mind.

Still, in the program today it says our aim is to be elite league champions... a 0 point weekend against your closest rivals is a very, very bad start. We have another tough weekend coming up... another 0 pointer simply won't do. To be realistic, we look like a 5th/6th place team which is a step backwards from last year.

Scott said:
Still, in the program today it says our aim is to be elite league champions... a 0 point weekend against your closest rivals is a very, very bad start. We have another tough weekend coming up... another 0 pointer simply won't do. To be realistic, we look like a 5th/6th place team which is a step backwards from last year.
I agree completely with this. I think, at best, we will finish 5th. I really hope the management team don't think that this team is good enough to win a championship!

DevilDom

Was a better performance than last night but still very disappointed to come out of the game and the weekend with nothing.

I think we were slightly lucky to be in the game right until the end as the Giants looked for the most part the better team, however saying that I felt we should have pushed on in the 3rd and put them under real pressue. After their game last night we might have just be able to nick something from tonight and it was again a chance missed to get some points of one of the better (if not the best) side in the league.

On the negative side, the D still looks shaky and I agree with the comments about Stevie too. He just doesn't look as solid as last year and was probably at fault for the first goal getting beaten at his near post from that far out. In addition our PP remains a real concern for me. We need to shoot the puck more and look for the rebounds! I think there was one PP were we only managed 1 shot and there was another where we probably spent at least a minute without the puck in the offensive zone.

On the positives, Ben had a good game and the 2nd line did look better when he was on it. The 1st line is close to clicking and when it does I think it will be very good, I just hope it's sooner rather than later. Sawyer continues to skate well but needs to be more careful when he passes the puck out of defense (as do all the guys on D). Mcrae looked a lot better than last night (he could hardly look worse!) and Pelle was again very busy and pacey. Also nice goals by all, especially G.

All in all I'm very disappointed with the start but slightly more positive than after Saturday. Let's hope that after another week together G can pull them into shape but my fear now is that there are at least 3 possibly 4 teams that look better than us and we will have to settle for 5th place this season.

Sheincar

kettdevil1 said:
The problem is that it isnt going to get any easier next weekend.

Nottingham away and Sheffield home. Both teams unbeaten....
Well you can kiss goodbye to any win in Nottingham based on what i've seen so far. Don't forget the Sheffield game is CC not League.

Voth missed most of this game with an alleged hand injury (few shifts early on). Although rumor at the rink was that him and Finnerty argued on the bench. :rolleyes:

Belfast started very well and put lots of pressure on the devils D. Making devils D looking poor at times. Stand outs for me were Gleed for giants and K Smith for devils. G's goal was lovely I shouted use the speed G - he skates into the zone, wrister top shelf :huh: :lol:

Christianson's tactics haven't changed at all, playing a man on the opposition blue line at all times (5 on 5).

Smith called a good game I thought, let it flow for the most although Davies took a check to the head in the 3rd which looked nasty but he just got up and skated off. Davies iced loads tonight!!

Many positives from the game: K Smith looks very good, Macrea for the first time stood out, Tylor is fab. But also few negatives too. Lyle looked shaky but made some nice saves, our D look slow on the turn, Sawyer caught out of position a few times (although got back every time).

For giants, Hoffman doesn't look like a goon at least, can play a bit, Gleed was everywhere, and their forwards are very fast and some of the passing I couldn't keep up with the puck. Murphy made some lovely saves but also had a few howlers, nearly deflecting the puck in his own net. Very close game all in all which fills me with slight confidence as Belfast on paper look fab.

Hope Kenton Smith is ok, Belfast's 4th goal was slapshot to Kentons face, crossbar and in. Ouch!! Belfast also had a goal disallowed for kicking it in just before the 4th.

osh

Sliput said:
Cant be bothered...mods,please delete.

Thanks
Yes its early doors and 2 bad results I agree. a bad weekend, but we have tough games coming up. If results don't go our way, how long would you give it before asking for changes to be made.
I think we should also give credit to Sheff and Giants for putting such sides together. I think the standard will be higher this season, but we won't have moved on unfortunately.

DevilDom

samidevils said:
Voth missed most of this game with an alleged hand injury (few shifts early on). Although rumor at the rink was that him and Finnerty argued on the bench.
I really hope this isn't true! :evil:

Not another season spolit by dressing room infighting or disagreements with the coach :roll:

Sliput

osh said:
Sliput said:
Cant be bothered...mods,please delete.

Thanks
Yes its early doors and 2 bad results I agree. a bad weekend, but we have tough games coming up. If results don't go our way, how long would you give it before asking for changes to be made.
I think we should also give credit to Sheff and Giants for putting such sides together. I think the standard will be higher this season, but we won't have moved on unfortunately.
At least 6-8 weeks before looking to change anything. I fully understand where you are coming from but, i dont know.....maybe i dont take the game/supporting the Devils too seriously anymore so even though i get disappointed at losing i dont let it annoy me or let it get to me.
(This isnt a swipe at anyone who is passionate about the Devils, its just how i feel/think about myself)

Im glad to get 3 points on the road this weekend as a Giants fan, but tonight was hard to call.
I was worried that we would repeat the same mistakes going 2 up and then letting 2 in which we did. I did think the devils would edge this one on home ice, after seeing how much we got pushed around in Nottingham but a difficult start for both teams.

In six weeks we could be easily be over ten points off the leaders.

The Devils have stated that they are aiming for the league. I think this is raising expectations to an unacheivable level, but if they're serious we can't fall that far behind!