Thoughts on Bordy so far

Mooney#16

I do take issue with Todd making that statement to be honest. It's Lordo's call to make how he wants to run his game as its his head that carries the can for the teams results. I don't want Lordo throwing Bordy out there to fight because he now feels there is pressure from Todd to entertain the fans with a scrap. The instigator rule is the dumbest call in hockey and it really gets on my wick for exactly this scenario. A guy running about like an idiot targeting star players should be held to account but skating over knowing you're giving away a powerplay is crap. You look at Cowicks. He should have been on a 5+Game for kneeing which in theory with an instigator would give you a three min powerplay but if it isn't called you go shorthanded so you then recoil from the fight for the in game scenario. The no fighting in hockey brigade take note what you therefore allow a cheap player to get away with. I don't blame the Devils one bit not reacting as they are chasing larger goals but I do blame the stupid instigator rule and the refs for not communicating that if a team goes for a guy he'll wave the instigator as its a subjective penalty to call anyway and that to me is good game management.

I'll also point out that the record breaking team lost the league by a slim margin and arguably one of the causes was when Tyler Michel went after Danny Welch for a low hit and got slapped with five game for an alleged sucker punch. (Todd we know it was you, not all is forgiven). So to be honest it's been that long a wait for league title I don't care if the Devils don't scrap again this season. I usually give Todd a lot of credit but that specific remark and tinkering is pretty short sighted and reactionary.

Electro

It's a bit weird to have Bordy and not use him, why sign him, who wanted him ?

It's a bit weird to highlight it publicly.

My thought is Bordy is carrying an injury that makes him not currently fit to fight and Kelman is smoke screening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pjj365

I do take issue with Todd making that statement to be honest. It's Lordo's call to make how he wants to run his game as its his head that carries the can for the teams results. I don't want Lordo throwing Bordy out there to fight because he now feels there is pressure from Todd to entertain the fans with a scrap. The instigator rule is the dumbest call in hockey and it really gets on my wick for exactly this scenario. A guy running about like an idiot targeting star players should be held to account but skating over knowing you're giving away a powerplay is crap. You look at Cowicks. He should have been on a 5+Game for kneeing which in theory with an instigator would give you a three min powerplay but if it isn't called you go shorthanded so you then recoil from the fight for the in game scenario. The no fighting in hockey brigade take note what you therefore allow a cheap player to get away with. I don't blame the Devils one bit not reacting as they are chasing larger goals but I do blame the stupid instigator rule and the refs for not communicating that if a team goes for a guy he'll wave the instigator as its a subjective penalty to call anyway and that to me is good game management.

I'll also point out that the record breaking team lost the league by a slim margin and arguably one of the causes was when Tyler Michel went after Danny Welch for a low hit and got slapped with five game for an alleged sucker punch. (Todd we know it was you, not all is forgiven). So to be honest it's been that long a wait for league title I don't care if the Devils don't scrap again this season. I usually give Todd a lot of credit but that specific remark and tinkering is pretty short sighted and reactionary.
Take the instigator rule to its logical conclusion a fight need not ensue

No names but:

Player A hits player B legitimately
Player B drops the gloves looking to retaliate
Player A skates away
No fight BUT
PlayerB is an instigator albeit with no fight

Does this make sense from a penalty pont of view - no - but it would be the purist approach

What a nonsense

My thought is Bordy is carrying an injury that makes him not currently fit to fight and Kelman is smoke screening.

Never thought I would say this but I 100% agree with what you said! perfectly said

Mooney#16

Take that scenario though and 99.9% of the time the ref will just give it as a roughing minor not the 2+10 instigator. The instigator only seems to come into play if a fight actually breaks out. The roughing line has been fudged now with sucker punching becoming a buzz term. The days of giving someone a good slap have been rule booked out of the game and it's resulted in players flying around like missiles and quite frankly the powers that be need to address it. The same things that have seen enforcers run out of the NHL sadly apply in nearly every league with special teams so important because of how the game has been shaped and manipulated. You look at Breahead. Rosehill is being active but at what cost. They are stinking. McGratten is scraping a bit. Panthers are garbage. It's not there specific fault but at they same time they have less to lose by fighting than Bordy has currently. The days of the policemen patrolling are over and hence the days of in game retribution have to unfortunately. As I said previously Todd's comment smacks of wanting your cake and eating it. You let Bordy lose and live with the consequences or you play it so disciplined for the greater goal. Would everyone be blaming Bordy if that game had swung on a PP to a 3-2 lose on an instigator minor.

Don't get me wrong. I'm old school. I love the enforce and I hate what the game has done to them but you can't fight the system. If Devils were sat mid table on a six game losing streak then just hammer the bloke with everything you had but topping the table. It's a different gravy. I ridiculed Sheffield when Fitzgerald (at clan at the time) KO'd Danny Bois as being a shambles of a team for not reacting but hey they won the league so who laughed last.

Devil_Abroad

But why would Kelman moan he isn't fighting if he knows he can't because he's injured? Makes no sense

voth26

I think Bordys doing what he needs to just without the need to fight, he's creating space for us, gives us intimidation and a presence on the ice, he's strong on the forecheck, he's hitting and winning most of his battles on the boards, I do think the next few games against steelers and panthers will see him have some action if Fitzy gets testy and definitely mcgratton will really try and push Bordys buttons to go, I really cant understand the negative comments regarding Bordy and how he's playing to be honest?? we cried out for a tough guy to protect the team we have that in Bordy but because he isn't beating the crap out of other tough guys on a regular basis he isn't doing his job properly!!, It will be interesting to see the comments on here once Bordy has a few fights in a row, then it will be he's costing us games and we are on the pk to much. As has been said previously I can understand if he wasn't fighting and were losing all the time but we are top of the league and playing pretty well. I'm pretty happy with how's he's doing and I also think Todd was wrong to give his thoughts publicly. When Voth was here there were plenty of people slating him on a regular basis because of the amount of fights and penalty mins Voth had, it was never the right time to fight he took stupid penalties etc, Cant have it always unfortunately

august04

I think Bordys doing what he needs to just without the need to fight, he's creating space for us, gives us intimidation and a presence on the ice, he's strong on the forecheck, he's hitting and winning most of his battles on the boards, I do think the next few games against steelers and panthers will see him have some action if Fitzy gets testy and definitely mcgratton will really try and push Bordys buttons to go, I really cant understand the negative comments regarding Bordy and how he's playing to be honest?? we cried out for a tough guy to protect the team we have that in Bordy but because he isn't beating the crap out of other tough guys on a regular basis he isn't doing his job properly!!, It will be interesting to see the comments on here once Bordy has a few fights in a row, then it will be he's costing us games and we are on the pk to much. As has been said previously I can understand if he wasn't fighting and were losing all the time but we are top of the league and playing pretty well. I'm pretty happy with how's he's doing and I also think Todd was wrong to give his thoughts publicly. When Voth was here there were plenty of people slating him on a regular basis because of the amount of fights and penalty mins Voth had, it was never the right time to fight he took stupid penalties etc, Cant have it always unfortunately
In fairness, there hasn't been much criticism of Bordy from posters here. After the Clan game, it's come from within the club!

Temme

I find Kelman's comments strange.

I couldn't care less if Doucet leads the league in fights and Martin finishes the year with 0 goals and 1 assist in 54 games.

We are winning and performing brilliantly.

Fighting in hockey is not about fighting, it's about letting your skilled guys doing what they need to do.

Which they are.

Finny

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Now that we won the game, it would be great to look back and have Bordy run amok and take revenge for the hit on Hotham.
But as others have said, if he had done something like that then he'd almost certainly put us on a penalty kill for anything between 2 and 7 minutes.
Clan looked dangerous on their powerplay. They could have scored and go on to win the game.

I don't want to see our team bulled or liberties taken but the #1 priority for me this season is winning the league and that means taking the two points takes priority over getting revenge..

Electro

I'm not a fan of fighting, having a tough guy that can hit hard but fair and walks away after a hit with a smile on his face for me offers more, I'm sure the goons hate not fighting after they have been floored. If Bordy and other Devils can continue to play in that manner and the Devils continue winning, all the better, I'll have been proven right.

Rob Batch

The impression I got was that Todd had his 'promotors' hat on. More fights is more entertainment which can help ticket sales. The balance between entertainment vs winning the league is a fine one.

jimmy snels

In reality why bordy? guy who ran him wasn't rosehill. it could have been batch lord or just about anyone if you want to get to the crux of it for me. i think todd is just saying he expected a reaction.

Wannabe2

Todd always had tough teams at Belfast, and they helped bring the crowds in, after all no one falls asleep or walks out when a fight kicks off, although I truelly believe Belfast is a different animal compared to Cardiff. We are obviously doing things right as we are top of the league, and are the team to beat. We have firepower by the bucket load, a defence that can handle the best, team togetherness that is so important, and toughness to compare if not better anyone, when the lads play as they can, there's no better team in the league.

I myself from watching the games feel that Bordy is a little bit frustrated playing on the 4th line. With 4th line you get limited minutes, I feel he would be a lot better placed on the 3rd line to go out there nailing players to the boards and giving out clean open ice hits on a more regular basis. He clearly has a hockey brain, you wouldn't get in the NHL without one. So I think he should be given a chance of being moved up a line. At the end of the day if he isn't getting regular minutes and he gets more frustrated week by week then it will be difficult to keep him here next season. He is a real team player and loves nothing more than being on the ice. I think half the time when these things happen like the Hotham hit, he wasn't on the ice to retaliate to it, so there's not much more he can do. Give him more ice time and we can see more of what he has to offer. With his limited minutes at the moment, I feel he has a huge presence and is doing exactly what he was brought in to do.