Thoughts on Bordy so far

Ocko

It's impossible to measure his affect. We are 9th in the table for amount of fights; is that because no one wants to take liberties with us? I've never seen opposition tough guys be so quiet as they are this year. Could be a coincidence or could be Bordy doing his job. He doesn't have to be putting up top line points, he's playing off the fourth line - he should be getting similar points to someone like CJ. You'll have a tough job to find a better hockey player who is happy to play 4th line minutes IMO. Better players are out there of course, but won't be willing to play such a limited role.

Electro

I pointed out at the time 1st fight and injured was a concern, was that the reason he is here, not much use back in the AHL as skill is not at that level and an old injury that means fighting is not an option meant a job in Walmart was his next option.

Is he worth it, that depends on how much he's paid. That l don't know. At least we didn't sign big Ern.

This isn't a moan, just an opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Bordy's effectiveness is subliminal. For every goal he may not score, he will be intimidating opposition players, putting them off their game, forcing them to make errors. He's a good shut down forward with great reach and a good pass. Above all, a terrific 'team first' guy who is probably good for morale and obviously enjoys being here.

Check out the Cage forum where Panthers'fans have finished their honeymoon with McGrattan. Some believe he is morose, distant and not a team guy. A poor replacement for Janssen's energy and ability to play a role.

voth26

Ok so whats peoples opinion now. For me enough is enough. Time for an upgrade. Ive been waiting for the other skills to kick in but i dont think they're coming
so what do you want Bordy to do, if he's fighting every game then people will slam him for that. ive watched him in quite a few games and he creates a lot of space and it's amazing how many times opposition players have coughed up the puck when he looks like he setting them up for a hit or check on the boards

Finny

Pre-season this forum was full of people saying we were going to get bullied. That our skill players would be too intimidated to produce the goods. Some wanted an out and out fighter who wouldn't even ice regular shifts.

We sign Bordeleau.

So far, we haven't been bullied. Nobody has even tried to bully us.
Bordeleau has hardly fought. He hasn't needed to fight. Other teams and players are scared of him.

Opposition fans told us he would be a loose cannon. They couldn't have been further from the truth. A player of his size and reputation is going to catch the eye of the referee more than others. Yet he's barely picked up a dumb penalty and we're 3 months in.

He causes havoc on the forecheck. There was a goal in Dundee last weekend where he forced a turnover and we scored from it. He's done it numerous times throughout the season so far.

I was gutted when McGrattan signed for Panthers. But not anymore. I wouldn't swap Bordeleau for any other tough guy in this league.

James

Administrator
He managed to get a player to lose the puck and send Manchester offside just by looking at him last night. How we laughed

Samael

I don't think people are being fair here. He was never going to putting the puck in the back of the net every game, especially when he's playing 4th line hockey, he's also carrying that hand injury - YET STILL PLAYING. He's hard as nails, good for morale on the team and adds an intimidation factor the Devils have been without for a number of years. I think even if we signed someone like Crosby or Seguin people on here would still find something to piss, moan and pick holes about.

bb1

I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but quite a few on here I am completely bewildered with.....some pretty dumb quotes. Here's my take...

1). We moan we don't have enough toughness last season....our owners then make a MEGA signing in one of the best tough guys the NHL...yes the NHL has seen in years......yet ppl bloody moan.

2). Bordeleau is an out and out team guy and a marketing dream. As soon as we signed him the exposure our club got was huge!!!

3). He's pretty quick for a big guy and every shift he looks to throw huge hits at every opportunity and lands more than he misses. If he hit Storms Captain last night he would have put him in the Oyster Catcher!!!

4). We are top of the league because our guys are playing without fear of being taken out but dirty hit or cheap shot.....because he's on our bench!

5). He's not fighting because he's no reason to because of the above and doesn't have guys queuing up to throw them with him....no doubt he may have a few in future but why fight when you don't need to. In fact the best enforcers that come here don't have to fight much if at all i.e Weller and Biz.

6). Takes very few penalties for someone who plays with and edge constantly looking to put guys through the boards... unlike others in league.

7). Lordo trusts him on PK, he has great hands for a big guy, good hockey brain too. In fact watch next game how he always is aware of where our D men are and drops back to cover them.

8). He ain't going to score 30 goals but he is doing a great job in being physical and terrorising D men. Of all our players he lands more big hits per game than anyone.

Now all the anti Bordy's be careful for what you wish for because there aren't many guys that fill all the above left in hockey. Without him I can't see Batch or Louis filling that intimidation factor. Can you?

Devil_Abroad

Pre-season this forum was full of people saying we were going to get bullied. That our skill players would be too intimidated to produce the goods. Some wanted an out and out fighter who wouldn't even ice regular shifts.

We sign Bordeleau.

So far, we haven't been bullied. Nobody has even tried to bully us.
Bordeleau has hardly fought. He hasn't needed to fight. Other teams and players are scared of him.

Opposition fans told us he would be a loose cannon. They couldn't have been further from the truth. A player of his size and reputation is going to catch the eye of the referee more than others. Yet he's barely picked up a dumb penalty and we're 3 months in.

He causes havoc on the forecheck. There was a goal in Dundee last weekend where he forced a turnover and we scored from it. He's done it numerous times throughout the season so far.

I was gutted when McGrattan signed for Panthers. But not anymore. I wouldn't swap Bordeleau for any other tough guy in this league.
I wanted to post this

Devil_Abroad

I don't think people are being fair here. He was never going to putting the puck in the back of the net every game, especially when he's playing 4th line hockey, he's also carrying that hand injury - YET STILL PLAYING. He's hard as nails, good for morale on the team and adds an intimidation factor the Devils have been without for a number of years. I think even if we signed someone like Crosby or Seguin people on here would still find something to piss, moan and pick holes about.
Crosby? Are you serious?! [emoji6]

Devil_Abroad

I know everyone is entitled to an opinion but quite a few on here I am completely bewildered with.....some pretty dumb quotes. Here's my take...

1). We moan we don't have enough toughness last season....our owners then make a MEGA signing in one of the best tough guys the NHL...yes the NHL has seen in years......yet ppl bloody moan.

2). Bordeleau is an out and out team guy and a marketing dream. As soon as we signed him the exposure our club got was huge!!!

3). He's pretty quick for a big guy and every shift he looks to throw huge hits at every opportunity and lands more than he misses. If he hit Storms Captain last night he would have put him in the Oyster Catcher!!!

4). We are top of the league because our guys are playing without fear of being taken out but dirty hit or cheap shot.....because he's on our bench!

5). He's not fighting because he's no reason to because of the above and doesn't have guys queuing up to throw them with him....no doubt he may have a few in future but why fight when you don't need to. In fact the best enforcers that come here don't have to fight much if at all i.e Weller and Biz.

6). Takes very few penalties for someone who plays with and edge constantly looking to put guys through the boards... unlike others in league.

7). Lordo trusts him on PK, he has great hands for a big guy, good hockey brain too. In fact watch next game how he always is aware of where our D men are and drops back to cover them.

8). He ain't going to score 30 goals but he is doing a great job in being physical and terrorising D men. Of all our players he lands more big hits per game than anyone.

Now all the anti Bordy's be careful for what you wish for because there aren't many guys that fill all the above left in hockey. Without him I can't see Batch or Louis filling that intimidation factor. Can you?
Why does if feel like fights are happening all over the league apart from in our games - unless it's Noble of course?

Louis has hardly fought either. Nor Batch.

Bordeleau must be a factor. Even with a hand that's restricting him teams aren't taking liberties when playing us. Well, unless it's a certain Scottish ref by all accounts lol

The other thing I've noticed about Bordeleau, from what I've seen, he doesn't take liberties and use cheap shots - he pulls out of checks when seeing the player is in a vulnerable position. The guy seems to be a coach's dream as a team player. His enthusiasm on the ice shows he's enjoying his time here.

Has anyone heard any issues, at all?

Great quality signing, does what the label states and more.

Sign him next year please.

Devil_Abroad

I pointed out at the time 1st fight and injured was a concern, was that the reason he is here, not much use back in the AHL as skill is not at that level and an old injury that means fighting is not an option meant a job in Walmart was his next option.

Is he worth it, that depends on how much he's paid. That l don't know. At least we didn't sign big Ern.

This isn't a moan, just an opinion.

Job in Walmart? Which particular job would that be?

Tall - shelf stacker?
Enthusiastic - shop greeter?
Long gate - trolley collector?
Physical presence - security?
Hockey intelligence - CEO?

If knowledge about earnings is a requirement to determine worth, then I'm assuming as you don't also know the earnings of any player in the league, the budgets determined by teams so that they can afford to run a profitable business, the number of fans coming into games based on seeing that player, or that team based on that player's contribution etc etc etc you have no idea of any player's worth, a coach's worth, or even a GM's worth. In essence, you cannot give an opinion about anything?

I totally agree with you on McGrattan. Hopefully we can all agree that we dodged a bullet on that one!

Thread starter #75
Imagine if we had ended up with Rosehill?! We'd all be complaining about how undisciplined he is etc etc. Bordy does exactly what he is here for; puts the living fear into opposition, causes turnovers resulting in goals, keeps other so called tough guys in their box allowing our skilled player to wreak havoc all over the ice (most of the time).

Anyone coming to a hockey game to see fights every weekend is living in the 90's.

august04

I think he was playing better when Brine was on the 4th line with him, not surprising really though. While Brine arguably deserved to be moved up, I think it's harmed the effectiveness of the 4th line. Nothing against Brine, he's does a great job whichever situation he's asked to play in but I'd like to see Lord put Myers back on the 3rd and Brine back with Bordy and Jones/Piggott, which in my opinion makes both the 3rd and 4th lines more effective overall. Bordy may not be troubling the scoring charts but nobody is taking cheap shots on our skilled players. That was surely the principle reason for signing him. Job done.

Thread starter #77
I think he was playing better when Brine was on the 4th line with him, not surprising really though. While Brine arguably deserved to be moved up, I think it's harmed the effectiveness of the 4th line. Nothing against Brine, he's does a great job whichever situation he's asked to play in but I'd like to see Lord put Myers back on the 3rd and Brine back with Bordy and Jones/Piggott, which in my opinion makes both the 3rd and 4th lines more effective overall. Bordy may not be troubling the scoring charts but nobody is taking cheap shots on our skilled players. That was surely the principle reason for signing him. Job done.
Briner definitely deserves that 3rd line spot.... look how effective and productive he has been in the last few matches?!

august04

Yes I agree he deserved to be moved up but it has made the 4th line less effective. I think Brine can get more out of that 4th line (and Bordy, Jones), than Myers can - making both the 3rd and 4th lines better overall. Personally, I'd rather run 4 strong lines (which I think we had) than 3 plus a less effective 4th.

DevilDom

Did you see the reaction of Johnson from the Storm to an attempted check by Bordy on Sunday? He didn't connect but didn't need to, Johnson who is one of Storm's best players completely lost his cool and it affected him for the rest of the game. Job done.