Thoughts on Bordy so far

solelace84

Thread starter #1
I've seen quite a bit of Bordy abuse from panthers fans on Twitter today... Mostly saying that the Devils are wasting their money and that he's nothing special/barely noticed him on the ice.

I know he's only had a few games- what does everyone think so far?

Wannabe2

If Bordy was a Panthers player they would not have a problem with him at all, and that's the truth, as a club signing knobs like NDUR and PENNER they are sure calling the pot black. Looking forward to McGrattan ripping the league up now I am being catty.

Electro

He's a big guy, he's been employed to hit people, iced for small periods of time. It's not rocket science, if he's any good as a player it's gonna take time to get him fit enough to be able to judge.

Too early to write him off, but enforcers are generally in that role for a reason.

Panthers have McGratton, so there hardly a team to criticise, at least Bordy has potential and was cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

solelace84

Thread starter #4
Agreed - let's see how long Mcgrattan takes to reach match fitness, given that he's 35. He's got 5 (late) years on Bordy. Probably won't be catching up with anyone to be completing any big hits for a few games!

Wannabe2

He's a big guy, he's been employed to hit people, iced for small periods of time. It's not rocket science, if he's any good as a player it's gonna take time to get him fit enough to be able to judge.

Too early to write him off, but enforcers are generally in that role for a reason.

Panthers have McGratton, so there hardly a team to criticise, at least Bordy has potential and was cheaper.

And younger

Samael

The comparison made to Hendo is ridiculous by the panthers fan l thought and how Patrick is a downgrade. Bordy is a forward for starters, he's faster, bigger and as for value for money, he will put bums on seats. You can see he's a team guy too and will go a long way to keeping morale high in the locker room. Guys like Martin and Doucet certainly won't be worried about being pushed around this year. Yes, it's early days yet but l'm very glad the big man is in red white and green.

Electro

And he hasn't abused his body, probably can cope with pressure better than McGratton.

McGratton has made it clear as soon as an off ice NHL opportunity opens up, one l believe is not going to take too long in coming, he's off back stateside. That for me isn't going to see him as committed as Bordy who has voiced a more convincing commitment.

Although as with recent events, not all players are trustworthy in their public comments.

I was looking forward to seeing Bordeleau last night but have to say i was disappointed by what i saw. I know it's early days and he's not got much icetime under his belt but he didn't play the way you'd expect him to. Spent a lot of the game drifting around, one or two hits but nothing of note. Only thing can remember clearly is that he cross-checked Brown in the back after Brown landed a big hit on a Devils player by the benches. Very much a 'hey, what do you think you're doing?' and fair play for not taking it further when Brown ignored it.

Hopefully it's sooner, rather than later that Bordeleau finds his grove as the energy players are always a delight to watch but from what i've seen so far, i definitely wouldn't be pleased with him if i was a Devil or he wore Black & Gold.

McGrattan has, like i'm sure Bordeleau had, been training all summer on ice so he should be in relatively good shape. He will be on the 4th line and sent out with the purpose of setting the tone, laying down the law and making players well aware of his presence, before using any of the skill he has (he does have some ;) )

Give each tough guy on every team another week or two to get up to speed and settled in and hopefully fireworks start to be created.

And he hasn't abused his body, probably can cope with pressure better than McGratton.

McGratton has made it clear as soon as an off ice NHL opportunity opens up, one l believe is not going to take too long in coming, he's off back stateside. That for me isn't going to see him as committed as Bordy who has voiced a more convincing commitment.

Although as with recent events, not all players are trustworthy in their public comments.

McGrattan won't be going anywhere. He doesn't want to stop playing yet and wants to finish off some University Education over the next year or 2, maybe 3, before he hangs 'em up. He'll then likely join the NHLPA's Substance Abuse/Rehabilitation Programme as a mentor, but in a more in depth, paid role than previously.

Thread starter #10
I'd be more unhappy if Bordeleau went out all guns blazing from the get-go, taking unnecessary penalties in an effort to lay down the law and prove a point. It's the start of the season, we don't want to be dropping crucial points early on in the name of showmanship! Bordy puts in the checks where they're needed - I'm happy with that!

Ocko

Bordeleau is the policeman of the team. He isnt there to score 30 goals.

His job is to protect his team mates and be a solid player on the fourth. Anything else is a bonus. We have plenty of goals and ability elsewhere in the team, we have 3 lines that should have superb goalscoring in them. You dont roll 4 lines of scoring. People have certain roles and goalscoring isnt always one of them.

KaneDevils

His job is to protect his team mates and be a solid player on the fourth. Anything else is a bonus. We have plenty of goals and ability elsewhere in the team, we have 3 lines that should have superb goalscoring in them. You dont roll 4 lines of scoring. People have certain roles and goalscoring isnt always one of them.
Exactly right. I guess not all fans know what their on about sometimes. :)

Thread starter #13

I think most of them were talking about his presence on the ice as oppose to his goal scoring ability.

Electro

I guess some are going on his and his new bosses comments regarding his role within the Devils, not supporters speculation.

ASHIPP

This. He's there to police, protect and act as a deterrent, not to score 20+ goals. Will be interested to see how McGrattan performs in his first two games. Bordy has 1 month of catch-up as our team have been playing and training together for a few weeks.
Once he has settled into the team, the league and Lordo has figured where Bordy is going to be most effective, it will beok.

Electro

Is shouldn't be that difficult for a coach to figure out where a player such as Bordy fits into the team. Heck, it's not that difficult for Bordy to figure that out.

Russky

Boreleau is not a one dimensional player, He can play. At the moment he is doing his job of being on the ice. Notice the opposition think twice about any sly blindside of ref stuff while he is on the ice. He is an effective deterrent to any opposing player.

Russky

He has a goal and assist and Devils MOM from tonights game. Plus according to MNL he nailed a couple of decent hits too.

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

Saw him play last night - seemed he was still in the acclimatising stage and making sure he was getting used to the systems. He was already being used on pk. Though some blamed him for the opening goal they're pretty harsh on him seeing that his line were out on the ice for more than a minute.

I'm well happy we have him and confident he's more than just a fighter in this league. Whether he's on the fourth third or second line eventually he will score points as he has enough skill to be in the right place at the right time with Martin/Asselin/Bentivoglio feeding him - and Brine too.

And already 1+1 after just 2 weeks? He's ok