Thoughts on Bordy so far

august04

What is the role of our 4th line. Score goals or stop the opposition top lines scoring goals.?
Put the fear of God into the opposition, stop them scoring goals, chip in offensively and allow our top lines to rest more and play with more freedom without looking over their shoulders for the cheap shot merchants. I think Brine-Bordy and Jones/Piggott did all that. I can see why Brine was moved up, don't get me wrong - for me he's been one of the finds of the season. But in my opinion, he brings more out of that 4th line than Myers can. And let's be honest, no-one has been complaining about Myers' performance on that 3rd line.

Thread starter #83
Put the fear of God into the opposition, stop them scoring goals, chip in offensively and allow our top lines to rest more and play with more freedom without looking over their shoulders for the cheap shot merchants. I think Brine-Bordy and Jones/Piggott did all that. I can see why Brine was moved up, don't get me wrong - for me he's been one of the finds of the season. But in my opinion, he brings more out of that 4th line than Myers can. And let's be honest, no-one has been complaining about Myers' performance on that 3rd line.
What you're saying seems illogical to me - You don't move people down the lines to make lower lines more effective at the cost of a better line, right? That Brine, Culli, Haddad line is awesome at the moment. We have 3 lines scoring regularly at the moment. IMO, Briners play making ability is wasted on a line with people that are less able to put away shots.

Electro

Job in Walmart? Which particular job would that be?

Tall - shelf stacker?
Enthusiastic - shop greeter?
Long gate - trolley collector?
Physical presence - security?
Hockey intelligence - CEO?

If knowledge about earnings is a requirement to determine worth, then I'm assuming as you don't also know the earnings of any player in the league, the budgets determined by teams so that they can afford to run a profitable business, the number of fans coming into games based on seeing that player, or that team based on that player's contribution etc etc etc you have no idea of any player's worth, a coach's worth, or even a GM's worth. In essence, you cannot give an opinion about anything?

I totally agree with you on McGrattan. Hopefully we can all agree that we dodged a bullet on that one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know how dare me, its not as if it's publicly available on companies house is it. ;)

Devil_Abroad

As it isn't free to see company reports I can't confirm your comments but I doubt players' wages are published there?

Electro

I'm not a fan of the enforcer role, so I'm not changing opinion.

Big Ern is fighting, he has a bigger fighting rep than Bordy, so l don't get the comments regarding us not being bullied being down to his presence, maybe other teams approach to beating us is not helped by loosing players to the bin.

Don't get me wrong, l wouldn't gas a fully fit Bordy. I have no issue with him, he's a good signing for the club. The issue is his injury, if it's just bad timing and is no long term effect, no problem keeping him. I guess if his hand after one fight is still an issue and possibly has become chronic, how capable of fulfilling his role l guess will determine his future, after all the wrist is pretty important in hockey.

As for Big Ern, I've said plenty before he came.

august04

What you're saying seems illogical to me - You don't move people down the lines to make lower lines more effective at the cost of a better line, right? That Brine, Culli, Haddad line is awesome at the moment. We have 3 lines scoring regularly at the moment. IMO, Briners play making ability is wasted on a line with people that are less able to put away shots.
I wouldn't get too used to the current lines if I were you. In my view, our performance has dropped off over the past few games, something which Lord alluded to in his interview this week. I think we were playing a better all round game before the Scottish weekend when Lord changed the lines up. I still don't know why he did that, I thought we had played great hockey since the Sheffield defeat at home, up until then, with all 4 lines playing some great stuff. For me, he still tweaks the lines too much, at times when they don't need changing too - but hey, that's just my opinion. Might be illogical to you but makes perfect sense to me!

Wannabe2

rosehill,mgratten,neilson or bordy. i think we had the better pick in bordy tough sensible and overall team player with the added fear factor
1st Bordy no contest
2nd Klotz tough cookie
3rd Neilson don't care about anyone, and a great entertainer.
4th Tough call between 4/5th Rosehill, better player ???
5th McGratten, never thought I would say this, in fact I won't.

Finny

I wouldn't get too used to the current lines if I were you. In my view, our performance has dropped off over the past few games, something which Lord alluded to in his interview this week. I think we were playing a better all round game before the Scottish weekend when Lord changed the lines up. I still don't know why he did that, I thought we had played great hockey since the Sheffield defeat at home, up until then, with all 4 lines playing some great stuff. For me, he still tweaks the lines too much, at times when they don't need changing too - but hey, that's just my opinion. Might be illogical to you but makes perfect sense to me!
Werent the lines changed due to Asselin's illness? With him out Doucet was moved up to the top line and as he's been scoring at an impressive rate he's stayed there.

Thread starter #91

It's no secret that Lordo likes to reward players with extra ice time and moving them up the lines if they deserve it. Because of this, the lines will always be changing in some way or another...

EDIT: Which in some ways is a good thing. Because it's really important to keep players happy. If someone is working their socks off and playing really well every opportunity they get (Brine), yet they get stuck on the 4th line with limited shifts, they may become unhappy and look to go elsewhere next season.

august04

Werent the lines changed due to Asselin's illness? With him out Doucet was moved up to the top line and as he's been scoring at an impressive rate he's stayed there.
There was a lot of sickness in the camp at that time and that's what I put the changes down to back then. I had expected them to revert back once everyone was fit again but that's not been the case. I don't think many would suggest we're playing better hockey now though? Not for me anyway. I really thought we'd found 4 good lines following that run after the Sheffield game, with us playing the best hockey of the season then in my opinion.

Electro

It's no secret that Lordo likes to reward players with extra ice time and moving them up the lines if they deserve it. Because of this, the lines will always be changing in some way or another....
Could be hockey's equivalent of the Peter Principle.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

I don't deny that Doucet is finally finding chemistry with players who can help his game. Great to see him fulfilling the role he has been brought in to do.

I worry that, unfortunately this is at the expense of a fantastically in-form Patrick Asselin who had an awesome chemistry with Joey and Mo..
Now, returning from illness, Azzy finds himself having to try to re-kindle chemistry with Bentivoglio and Ulmer who granted work very very hard, but are nowhere near as productive. Hopefully he can ignite the points production we have been expecting from the other two.

Slartibartfast

I think Bordy is doing his job and acts as a great deterrent and puts in some big hits that lifts the atmosphere of the game. But he does not have the impact that Weller or Biz had. Biz was mocked by the NHL fans as just a fighter with no skill but his skill level over here actually really stood out. We saw some beautiful moves from him. Weller was the same. I have not seen the same level of skill of Bordy. Maybe its there but he hasn't shown it yet. Maybe its not. Im still happy we have him anyway but maybe some of our expectations were too high.
Ref:Brine. 'Gone by Christmas' my arse. Although not a big point scorer this guy impresses me every time he gets on the ice. Now he is moving up the lines I expect we will see more points from him but even if we don't it does not matter because of all the little things he does right.

august04

Interesting comments from Kelman and Lord in their mid week interviews, with Kelman bemoaning the lack of a physical reaction from the Devils in response to physical play from the Clan (in particular after the hit on Hotham). I wonder if we'll see Bordeleau getting busier in the fighting stakes over the next few weeks? I think the management team are expecting more in that regard from him.

jimmy snels

Todds comments on lord and hotham should not be leading the team in fights is justified. He also stated he expected a reaction to the hit on hotham who is the leagues best defenceman if not player. He said the team now know he expects a reaction to those types of incidents.
Interesting to hear bordeleau is one of the highest paid players in the league.

Ocko

Obviously Todd wanted someone to drop the gloves after that hit on Hotham. Rightly so too. He said he made his feelings known to Lord on it. I wonder who made the call not to. Did Lord tell Bordy no? Or is the gripe with Bordy not stepping up down to the man himself?

One things certain is that we should see more fights in the coming weeks.

Wannabe2

Maybe the thought was that the time wasn't right, not saying that was the case, but the 2 points were priority, hell listen to me the geezer that wants 3 fights per game compulsory ( joking). Clan won't get away with that move again.