The NHL thread **SPOILERS INSIDE**

Thread starter #281
scottydoesntknow said:
Thanks for that, I think I know what I'm doing now :)
haha, hopefully I'll be joining in on some future NHL discussions next season :)
and we'll be glad to have you! :D

I haven't watched much of the run in to the season due to starting a new job, but hopefully I will be able to watch some of the Pens / Flyers series. I'm reading all the news reports from both sides of Pennsylvania and getting very exited about the prospect. Whoever wins I hope it's a cracker! The Eastis so close that whoever gets through any of the 1st round match ups I ouldn't want to face. Great stuff!

Also the Isles have won the draft lottery and so will get Tavares next year. This is even better news for Atlantic division fans as what is already an incredibly tight division (10 points separating 1st and 4th) is about to get even crazier, I also hope the media hype around Tavares will take some of the pressure off Sid. Also Tampa will now pick up Headman, which could be a blessing for them as although everyone wants Tavares TAmpa desperately need depth at the back.

Skippy

Looking forward to the Pens / Flyers series. Hopefully the Flyers will be able to return the trouncing your mob gave them last year.

Would be nice to think that would happen and impact on the sale of Crosby Jerseys :D

so the excitement has risen with the play-offs now here, and for me doubly exciting as espn are showing the pens v flyers game tonight! Also along with the play-offs there is now nhl celeb blogs to be read wich are always fun. The dude from bones is our blogger for a 3rd time and his blogs are always a good read. So...how will the game/series go? its a tough one to call but we have a much stronger/healthier team than last year and we really missed kimmo in that series with the pens. Also a player like gagne is going to be a big miss but with a healthy team and very promising youngsters (mainly giroux) i think we'll just edge it, one thing is for sure...it has the ingredients to be a great series!

TheStub

Well - game one for the Devils, 4-1 win :D

We haven't looked that good against the Canes all season. It was like they didn't turn up - it was all Devils. Some cracking goals too :D

Going to have to download the Pens game. Sounds like a good, physical match. Even if it was the same score in favour of the Pens :D

Thread starter #285
Great set of results last night, I have a soft spot for the Devils and dislike the 'canes so was good result. The Caps worst nightmare came true, they dominated the game but couldn't been Lundqvist, while having a 'mare in their own end. Jose Threeormore is living up to his reputation. I really hate the Caps fanbase and so hope they get swept! Lol However if NY play like that again they might not be so lucky again. Props to Avery he played a blinder last night, really got under Green's skin and upset the caps.

As for the Pens / Flyers game :mrgreen:

Skippy

Iceraider said:
As for the Pens / Flyers game :mrgreen:

Bah :? Not seen the highlights as yet but the write up seems to say it all.

The Flyers didn't get a shot off for the first ten minutes of the second :(

No words can describe how frickin' frustrated i was watching us getting outplayed by the pens. Everything we were doing was just not flyers like, we didnt show up in this game thats a fact. We were just skating around with no energy or inthusiasm and struggled on many occasions to get out of our own zone! :evil:
Not only did we play badly, we were totally non-physical...pens were throwing in hit after hit and we just didnt seem to care. The flyers fans expect if the team is playing bad then at least they will be physical...not last night, a truly appauling display and made all the worse as i stayed up untill about 3am to watch this crap. The only flyers-like thing we did was take way too many lazy penalties. I dont usually slag my team off but last night was a joke, just aswell i didnt write this after the game because it will contain a lot more nasty stuff.
rant over...
I really hate the Caps fanbase
I actually like the caps fans, very enthusiastic

Thread starter #288
I really hate the Caps fanbase
I actually like the caps fans, very enthusiastic[/quote]

All the Caps fans I met in Tampa for the Caps / Bolts game this year were lovely, even had some friendly banter going as I had a Mario T shirt on. It's just their internet fans I hate. lol

While the Flyers weren't very physical last night they were very dirty behind the play and were lucky not to give away a few more soft penalties. If the Pens can take a 2-0 lead going in to Philly i'll be well happy.

well....what can i say? we played better than we did in game one and probably wouldve won it if it wasnt which led to the pens scoring and tie-ing the game at 2-2. :evil:
Also in the 5 on 3 pp for the pens in OT malkin shouldve been called for a sly slash on richie but as much as im getting peed off by the pens, my own team isnt really helping either by taking stupid penalties and not playing to their full potential....sigh...this was a must win ands now we are 2-0 down, i think thats it for us....god i hate the pensfor a fantastic save by fleury to stop carter and a bullshit call by the refs for a "hooking penalty" on carter near the end from the game .

Game 2 the Pens were awful did not deserve to win at all, also one of the penalties for the Flyers to create the 5 on 3 was really poor imo.

Boston V Habs was a good game and did anyone see the Incident with Kom and Hunwick??

no i havent, will have to check that out.
Now that i have cooled down i have to say both goaltenders were outstanding and timmonen and orpik were also awesome. I think we need a shake up of the lines and after watching interviews with richie/carter etc the board in the back read 2nd line powe-carter-briere with i think will be a good line.

MikeRichards18 said:
no i havent, will have to check that out.
Now that i have cooled down i have to say both goaltenders were outstanding and timmonen and orpik were also awesome. I think we need a shake up of the lines and after watching interviews with richie/carter etc the board in the back read 2nd line powe-carter-briere with i think will be a good line.
Well Hunwick and Savard were claiming Eye gouging but Kom had his gloves still on so i dont think it was,
Also Lucic was given a match penalty last night for apprently sticking Lapeire in the face, i have not seen the incident but if it was true then good bye to his series at least.

Both goalies were outstanding indeed, both made awsome saves and Timmonen was imensce as was Coburn, Orpik always plays well and had 15 hits was it in that one game alone

15 hits a game x by 82 games 1230 hits a season haha :p if only that could happen

Iceraider said:
Timmonen is great again tonight so far! Great player!

What you think of the Kunitz hit on him?? my dad said it was dirty but it was just a solid hit with Timmonen with his head down,

Flyers are hitting and playing hard tonight, deserve the lead so far

Im a happy flyers fan tonight! The team play like a real philly team should tonight with good pace and good physical play.
I thought kunitz' hit was absolutely amazing and its very rare to see kimmo with his head down like that. Thought carcillos hit was good too.
Girouxs effort shorthanded was outstanding and the pass for his goal from briere was sublime.
Thought our great fans gave the team an extra boost tonight and now its time to tie this series 2-2 :D

Thread starter #296
I thought the Kunitz hit was great and exactly what we needed at the time. Next year Hartnell will get instigator for going after Kunitz.

After the pens came out with a rocket up their bums in the 2nd I thought we were going to pull it back but it was game over after the soft short handed goal. Fleury was poor last night and 2 goals of the first 2 shots killed us. The flyers did everything right, they were far more physical than previous games and Mike Richards scares the hell out of mewhen he goes charging down the ice!

San Jose are also 2-0 down in their series heading to Anaheim, so the annual sharks choke job continues.

Iceraider said:
I thought the Kunitz hit was great and exactly what we needed at the time. Next year Hartnell will get instigator for going after Kunitz.

After the pens came out with a rocket up their bums in the 2nd I thought we were going to pull it back but it was game over after the soft short handed goal. Fleury was poor last night and 2 goals of the first 2 shots killed us. The flyers did everything right, they were far more physical than previous games and Mike Richards scares the hell out of mewhen he goes charging down the ice!

San Jose are also 2-0 down in their series heading to Anaheim, so the annual sharks choke job continues.
Hartnell was allowed to take out Kunitz off the play and chase him up the ice, but he was standing up for his team mate,

Fleury let in 3 soft soft goals, one shorthanded, take nothing away from Carter but fleury looked like he was searching for the puck on the other side of the ice and he was not called to the bench for the ENG either, Pens did not have control of the puck but we still would not have scored 2 goals so it doesnt really matter.

(series)
Boston 2-0 Montreal
Rangers 2-0 Washington
New Jersey 2-1 Carolina
Penguins 2-1 Flyers

San Jose 0-2 Ducks
Detroit 2-0 Columbus
Vancouver 3-0 St Louis
Black Hawks 2-0 Calgary

As it stands atm

Boston v Pens
Rangers v Devils

Ducks v Black Hawks
Detroit v Vancouver

yup, looks like the sharks are choking once again. Cannucks are all but through now i think and a great series is devoloping between the canes and the devils. A bit surprised lucic only had 1 game suspension after his cross-check to the head on lapierre. But lets face it those 2 team hate eachother and it was always going to be feisty.

TheStub

The Devils/Canes match up is getting close now. Not sure who will edge it. I can see this easilly going to 7.

Nice to finally get an OT winner against the Canes though :lol:

Thread starter #300
TheStub said:
The Devils/Canes match up is getting close now. Not sure who will edge it. I can see this easilly going to 7.

Nice to finally get an OT winner against the Canes though :lol:
Same for the Pens / Flyers. If Washington can pick up a W in the next game then I wouldn't put a come-back past them, but at the moment they are being out worked and out coached. The Caps just look too tired at the moment. Ovechkin is pulling ridiculously long shifts for the play-offs and as such just looks knackered. And Green is just being bullied by Avery and so is not at the races. Everyone thought that Washington's problems would be down to Jose Threeormore in goal, however he hasn't actually been that bad and it'd been their much vaunted offence that has let them down so far in this series. But like I said if they manage to sneak a game in the Garden who knows what might happen....

The West on the other hand looks pretty much sealed already. I was hoping for more from Columbus after the way they played in the run in to the season, the same goes for st Louis, they were on fire down the back stretch but seem to have folded in the play-offs. I stilll hope the Hawks can go all the way in the West, though I think they are a couple of years off it yet.