Nitra Vs Devils - Continental Cup Final #3 - 15th Jan 23 - 13:00 FO

Rempel16

Bah! What a wasted opportunity for a trophy!
I thought the PP would improve with Fournier coming in, but they still just pass it back and forth the whole time.
Agreed. In Fournier's first game, against Guildford, there was a noticeable shift in the way his pp unit played. They utilised him with 2/3 quick passes and the shot for him to cause chaos. Since then, they've reverted to type and it makes no sense.

lloyd_jeff

It’s not bizarre it’s logic, we appointed rookies who’ll undoubtedly make rookie errors. This is reality, ironically this team this yr is now worse than last yr. Had we had played last yrs team, we’d have won today.

E.D.S.

Got to question why it is that the coach has actually acknowledged weaknesses in team tactics early on in the season, including a substandard powerplay....but no improvement in months. Results in tight games are decided by clinical execution/tactical variety in these situations...is it poor tactics, lack of preparation or poor execution by the players?

Flame me for talking about the past, but Lord would have addressed such a glaring weakness very early on in the season. Heck, he used to run 'boot camp' training sessions just for that alone! Devils used to have such a slick powerplay system......

With Jardine potentially out for some time, a major opportunity has been missed to bring in a mature, experienced, calm blue liner in the Strachan, Morrisson, Mikkelson mode. Our defence, I'm afraid, looks leaderless.
This is the same coach that highlighted the powerplay as a plus point when we got tanked 9-1.

E.D.S.

Agreed. In Fournier's first game, against Guildford, there was a noticeable shift in the way his pp unit played. They utilised him with 2/3 quick passes and the shot for him to cause chaos. Since then, they've reverted to type and it makes no sense.
With respect to Fournier, he isn’t the answer and not the mid season pick up I was hoping for. Love his attitude but it’s ability we need.

Kevin roog

Fournier seems to me , all mouth and trousers, for someone who’s tougher than bob probert(or whatever someone on here said) he doesn’t seem to act it

august04 2.0

I hope Tods ego does not get in the way of him here and he takes a good look in the mirror, I can understand why Dupont was taken on, it was like Lordo again but to allow Rookie 2 is beyond me, it really is. Not like he had an amazing hockey CV.

Our PP is shocking and has not improved at all, we had NO plan b, on paper we have an bloody good team and could of won this!

Why we didn't bring the goalie in on the PP i really do not know, again shows lack of balls or experience. Some of our ``better`` players had a bad weekend too. We allowed teams to play there style and not ours. So gutted and annoyed because we had the golden chance at the end and blew it big time! No way will we be able to keep cox and Stanford next season if we carry on like this
No, he'll just blame the forum!

august04 2.0

Fournier seems to me , all mouth and trousers, for someone who’s tougher than bob probert(or whatever someone on here said) he doesn’t seem to act it
Fournier was never going to come in and rip up the league. But use him where he can cause most damage - in front of the net, picking up the garbage goals, which are just as important as the beauties. As Rempel said, we did just that in his first game vs Guildford on the PP and reaped the rewards with 2 PPG's from memory - but have now reverted to endless passing looking for the perfect shot and getting nowhere. I don’t get it at all.

Finny

It’s not bizarre it’s logic, we appointed rookies who’ll undoubtedly make rookie errors. This is reality, ironically this team this yr is now worse than last yr. Had we had played last yrs team, we’d have won today.
Tell me you’ve not watched many Cardiff games in the last two years without telling me you’ve not watched many Cardiff games in the last two years.

E.D.S.

It’s a big ask now for the coaches to get the boys up for the next few games. Whether you think the team played well or not, at the end of the day it’s a punishing schedule of games, with travel, for no reward. Totally demoralising. They’ll need to be switched on for Friday or this really will be a pivotal point of the season. Fifth is still a real possibility.

Devils86

Got to question why it is that the coach has actually acknowledged weaknesses in team tactics early on in the season, including a substandard powerplay....but no improvement in months. Results in tight games are decided by clinical execution/tactical variety in these situations...is it poor tactics, lack of preparation or poor execution by the players?

Flame me for talking about the past, but Lord would have addressed such a glaring weakness very early on in the season. Heck, he used to run 'boot camp' training sessions just for that alone! Devils used to have such a slick powerplay system......

With Jardine potentially out for some time, a major opportunity has been missed to bring in a mature, experienced, calm blue liner in the Strachan, Morrisson, Mikkelson mode. Our defence, I'm afraid, looks leaderless.
Spot on.

I think I've said this about you before ASHIPP: there's no place for such reasoned comments on the internet. Lol

One good thing about an awful performance is I get to see some of the posters who only come out when we've lost. If only Bowns had been in net, then we would had the full brigade out. Can almost set my watch by some of them

From the coaching perspective last season’s coach had the aptitude but not the attitude and with this season’s coach it’s the reverse.

Fournier has made a bit of a difference but like many of us said a long time ago, one or two signings will not fix this team, it’s much more fundamental than that.
3 or 4 key changes may have given the necessary result but it’s unfair to expect much from a young kid straight outta college and a role playing bottom six forward.

This weekend could’ve easily been a glorious one if the right Devils team showed up but unfortunately……..

This team is too lightweight in all senses of the word, yes they turn in some good performances but equally there are many occasions where they don’t turn up at all!

Taking nothing away from the opposition this weekend but we beat ourselves with poor play, missed chances and a shocking PP!

This weekend was mediocre hockey played by mainly mediocre teams, the exception being Asiago who are dreadful.

Well done to Nitra they were the most compact and structured of the 4 teams and overall made fewer mistakes and ground out their results but let’s remind ourselves that they’re near the bottom of their (lower ranking) league and struggling for form.

Unfortunately, too many passengers again for us this weekend!

It’s a big ask now for the coaches to get the boys up for the next few games. Whether you think the team played well or not, at the end of the day it’s a punishing schedule of games, with travel, for no reward. Totally demoralising. They’ll need to be switched on for Friday or this really will be a pivotal point of the season. Fifth is still a real possibility.
No more of a punishing schedule than a Scottish triple header!

Wannabe2

From the coaching perspective last season’s coach had the aptitude but not the attitude and with this season’s coach it’s the reverse.

Fournier has made a bit of a difference but like many of us said a long time ago, one or two signings will not fix this team, it’s much more fundamental than that.
3 or 4 key changes may have given the necessary result but it’s unfair to expect much from a young kid straight outta college and a role playing bottom six forward.

This weekend could’ve easily been a glorious one if the right Devils team showed up but unfortunately……..

This team is too lightweight in all senses of the word, yes they turn in some good performances but equally there are many occasions where they don’t turn up at all!

Taking nothing away from the opposition this weekend but we beat ourselves with poor play, missed chances and a shocking PP!

This weekend was mediocre hockey played by mainly mediocre teams, the exception being Asiago who are dreadful.

Well done to Nitra they were the most compact and structured of the 4 teams and overall made fewer mistakes and ground out their results but let’s remind ourselves that they’re near the bottom of their (lower ranking) league and struggling for form.

Unfortunately, too many passengers again for us this weekend!
And that just about sums the team-up, spot on , and yet we go and beat Steelers who are a first class team. When they play as they can they can be pretty good, but by god when we are bad, we are dire.