Nitra Vs Devils - Continental Cup Final #3 - 15th Jan 23 - 13:00 FO

Which happens and you do what you can to manage, be that recruitment or adjustment or accept that the season just ended. That includes managing fan expectations correctly.
Totally agree, unfortunately the void left by Coughler and Jardine could never be filled by Fournier, Herrmann.
Arguably, we should’ve called up Kelly sooner and more often if possible to add much needed depth on the back end but the fact remains that to make like for like replacements for these two high calibre players just before Xmas and within the available budget was in all honesty, near impossible!

My expectations (along with a few others on here) didn’t need managing as I believed the roster already lacked balance and with the loss of #18 & #86 we became even more unbalanced.

Finny

This was a weak final group….
How did you come to that conclusion?

Ranking individual European leagues is very difficult. But most leagues have less imports than the EIHL and so more reliance on national players. And the current IIHF rankings are:

8th: Slovakia
13th: France
17th: Italy
18th: UK.

As I explained in a previous post, Slovakia are the most successful nation in this competition. Even when EIHL teams were spending big pre-COVID we only won it once. Once in 25 years.

I do wonder how many of the people disappointed we didn’t win built up their expectations due to their lack of awareness of other leagues.

Remember someone once posted “This Devils team could hold its own against an NHL team”. Well sadly there are a lot of people doing similar again.

moggy#9

How did you come to that conclusion?

Ranking individual European leagues is very difficult. But most leagues have less imports than the EIHL and so more reliance on national players. And the current IIHF rankings are:

8th: Slovakia
13th: France
17th: Italy
18th: UK.

As I explained in a previous post, Slovakia are the most successful nation in this competition. Even when EIHL teams were spending big pre-COVID we only won it once. Once in 25 years.

I do wonder how many of the people disappointed we didn’t win built up their expectations due to their lack of awareness of other leagues.

Remember someone once posted “This Devils team could hold its own against an NHL team”. Well sadly there are a lot of people doing similar again.
Sometimes finny I wonder if you make these comments just to wind people up. The international rankings have very little to do with the quality of clubs, for a variety of reasons. Are you really suggesting that that asiago team were better than the devils, because Italy are better placed in the rankings than GB. (I'll ignore for the moment the issues with those rankings themselves.)

It was quite reasonable to expect us to beat ducs based on what we saw in Cardiff. They played us with a plan to contain us and maybe get a lucky break. That plan worked.

If we'd have had the pp and defence we've had in previous seasons, we'd have beaten nitra. That's before we even mention the duff line change for the second nitra goal. How leagues have performed in the past is irrelevant, and as others have said nitra are far from the best team in the slovak league this season.

The bottom line is, with what was against us this year, we had a massive opportunity, which we blew.

lloyd_jeff

Let's hope this post isn't screenshot by another teams fan and posted online so they can all laugh at how entitled and ridiculous we sound again.
A reminder, this reaction is for losing the FINAL of an European competition. A competition that Dupont got us to in the first place and then got us to the final of, where we lost by one goal. I'm sure other fans are crying us a river how tough it is to be a Devils fan.
Back at home we have won 12 of our last 15 games in the league over a super hectic Christmas period, with wins over Guildford, Sheffield and Belfast.
I'm sure that the owners and a lot of fans are happy that we've had 2 weekends of European hockey, and still very much in the running for the league in the form we are in.
You know you are absolutely right if you are happy to be 2nd or lower in every competition you play.

lloyd_jeff

Totally agree, unfortunately the void left by Coughler and Jardine could never be filled by Fournier, Herrmann.
Arguably, we should’ve called up Kelly sooner and more often if possible to add much needed depth on the back end but the fact remains that to make like for like replacements for these two high calibre players just before Xmas and within the available budget was in all honesty, near impossible!

My expectations (along with a few others on here) didn’t need managing as I believed the roster already lacked balance and with the loss of #18 & #86 we became even more unbalanced.
I wouldn’t say impossible, it’s possible, what likely made the decision is the blindingly obvious poor coaching and in game decisions, making any high cost replacements a waste of money.

Kevlar68

My conclusion of a weak final group goes as thus:-

Devils - GP-31 W-22 L-6
HK Nitra - GP-34 W-11 L-23
Angers - GP-29 W-20 L-9
Asiago - GP-34 W-12 L-22

We had already beaten Angers who had the second best record to us.
The Italian league isn't great standard and Asiago are at the bottom end of that league.
The Slovakian league is the strongest league from all 4 teams BUT Nitra as they are this season are no better than one of our top 5.

Going in to the comp:-

Devils had won 8 from 9
HK Nitra had won 4 from 9
Angers had won 6 from 9
Asiago had won 2 from 9

Slovakia may be the most successful nation in the continental cup that doesn't mean every season all the teams in their league are good strong teams.
Spain are the most successful country in European football tournaments but they still have teams like Cadiz and Elche in their La Liga.

So to sum up, looking at all 4 teams as a whole the opponents I believe made a weak group, 2 bottom table teams and a team we had already beaten and out of that group Devils looked to be in the best place to be the favourites in my opinion but it is what it is and we ended up third in the group.

Last edited:

doron

i don't care if we win or lose, so long as the effort was put in. that 5min power play was really bad. there doesn't seem to be any hunger in the team , and i don't think the effort was there. im not impressed with the coaching, the players are hit and miss and need motivating, im not a believer of bringing back players on name and reputation. if they don't perform they out end of. nobody gets a free pass. i believe the core of players is good. but for whatever reason, them the players or coaching is not working right. and as for the league we don't deserve to be in the top 2 personally i see us ending up 4th sorry all.

moggy#9

The problem with our powerplay is no movement.
We pass, pass, pass while standing still in same positions and the defence only needs to track the puck.
If you pass and constantly cycle around the defence they need to watch both man and puck which makes tracking much harder.
If course it also helps if you can pass to the stick of your team mate, rather than his skates.

I’m over my feeling annoyed about this weekend now.

The reason I was negative was not borne of a sense of entitlement, but rather that we actually had the capability to win and we’re entirely to blame for not doing so.

We looked half asleep against Angers. And our D against Nitra was truly horrendous for their goals, along with our general inability to score goals.

On a positive note, even in adversity there can be progress. This team clearly needed something, and perhaps a few beers in Angers and the trip itself will bring them closer together. We’ll need it come the weekend’s games, and I hope a push for the league title.

(Also, those of you who hate Todd - it’s pretty weird and very personal)

Kevin roog

Does anyone actually hate Todd, I haven’t seen that, we be worse off without him most certainly, and the other poster who mentioned the nhl team, , it was one poster who said that , don’t think anyone thinks it

I have always found TK to be friendly and engaging whenever I’ve spoken with him, focused and maybe a little too single minded or outspoken sometimes perhaps but hey, that’s something we can all be guilty of from time to time!
I find it hard to believe anyone actually hates any of our management team let alone TK as hate is a very strong expression indeed.
As for the misguided individual who a few years back claimed the Devils were NHL class, well that post was widely ridiculed by our own fans as much as fans of our rivals.

Last weekend is behind us let’s take the positives and move forward to hopefully beating Belfast on Friday.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

I don’t think anyone hates Todd, you would have to be really stupid to do that, someone may be jealous of him because of his great success in Cardiff. Todd and our owners are the best thing to happen to this club since Johnny Lawless, we all know that and appreciate that we are in the best position we have ever been.

I don't think anyone has said the word hate and id be very surprised if anyone would say that, i think sometimes his ego can get in the way but none of us are perfect by any means.

There have been quite a few comments about Todd’s ego, Todd’s inability to do things right etc.

Perhaps hate was too strong a word to use.

As several of you have now highlighted, I just wouldn’t want us to pull a Charlton and to lose sight of where we are and where came from.

Glad to see the players home safely. Let’s annoy the Belfast fans some more this weekend.