Nitra Vs Devils - Continental Cup Final #3 - 15th Jan 23 - 13:00 FO

Rempel16

I don’t think he’s faster or more reactive than Bowns. He’s more of a standup than a butterfly but at their best Bowns is far better.

Kevlar68

I don’t think he’s faster or more reactive than Bowns. He’s more of a standup than a butterfly but at their best Bowns is far better.
SO you think kozun isn't faster post to post, quicker to react to rebounds or quicker to clear lines with a pass than bowns?

Swarley

Post to post Kozun is faster and his puck tracking ability is better than Bowns, his rebound control is better as well, Bowns has a lot of abilities and I won't discredit that but right now Kozun is by far the better goalie

moggy#9

Post to post Kozun is faster and his puck tracking ability is better than Bowns, his rebound control is better as well, Bowns has a lot of abilities and I won't discredit that but right now Kozun is by far the better goalie
For me bowns is more spectacular, but that's because he really gets out of position. Kozun is technically a fat better goalie.

Rempel16

SO you think kozun isn't faster post to post, quicker to react to rebounds or quicker to clear lines with a pass than bowns?
No I don’t, with the exception of the outlet pass which Kozun has improved on considerably this season.

Bowns is still number 1 for me, he’s just badly out of form, although I thought he was exceptional on Friday.

I actually think the team play more confidently in front of Bowns, which leads to more complacency and players switch off. In front of Kozun they play tighter defensively which suggests they have to constantly be dialled in.

And in that last paragraph I’m going against my own argument so maybe it should be Kozun if it’s going to ensure the team switch on for 60 mins.

Devil94

No I don’t, with the exception of the outlet pass which Kozun has improved on considerably this season.

Bowns is still number 1 for me, he’s just badly out of form, although I thought he was exceptional on Friday.

I actually think the team play more confidently in front of Bowns, which leads to more complacency and players switch off. In front of Kozun they play tighter defensively which suggests they have to constantly be dialled in.

And in that last paragraph I’m going against my own argument so maybe it should be Kozun if it’s going to ensure the team switch on for 60 mins.
I would agree. Same happened last year, our worst performances was with Carruth in net. While the team went 11 straight wins with Kozy in net. If that what it takes for them to win a winner takes all game, then it's Kozun for me.

Earnie

Was Nitra beating Ducs in extra time better for us than doing it in Regulation time?
That way Nitra also loose a point and Ducs loose two points!

Last edited:

Devils86

So, to confirm (my understanding) permutations for today:

1pm - Devils v Nitra
a win for Nitra (whether regulation or OT) and they win the competition;
a regulation win for us and we win the competition;
an OT win for us means we all have to watch Angers beat Asiago!

4:30pm Ducs v Asiago
If we win in OT then unless Ducs win in regulation we win the competition (we would have same points as Nitra but win on the head2head)
If Ducs win in regulation then that would leave Nitra, Ducs and us all on the same points.

The first tie breaker in a group of 3 is the points between the sides which as each team won and lost in OT then the points are all 3.

Next up is goal difference in the games between the three teams. In this circumstance each game was an OT win so the goal difference is +1 or -1....each team having won and lost a game in OT the goal difference across all three sides is 0!

So next tie breaker is goals scored - here the games against Asiago come into play:
Obv Devils 7-1 Asiago
Nitra 5-3 Asiago
Ducs ?-? Asiago

So the Ducs will be gunning for 8 goals and a regulation win (if we win in OT).

If somehow Ducs score 7 and we win in OT:

F*** knows! It gets messed up....

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2022/ccfinal/tournamentinfo/31192/tournament_info

TL91

I really can’t get onboard with that statement. You can see how confidence in a player impacts the performances of other players within a team. As an example, watched a game of football yesterday, the keeper was very shaky and you could then see that setting into the other players. Conversely, if the team have confidence in their goalkeeper; they can focus on their own games and therefore better individual and team performances.

tim78

Come on Devils bring home the first Devil's Continental Cup and trophy of the season. Gutted I'm not there, though heard the fans yesterday hopefully you can make tons of noise today.

Rempel16

I really can’t get onboard with that statement. You can see how confidence in a player impacts the performances of other players within a team. As an example, watched a game of football yesterday, the keeper was very shaky and you could then see that setting into the other players. Conversely, if the team have confidence in their goalkeeper; they can focus on their own games and therefore better individual and team performances.
Conversely it could be argued that you have to stay focused with a lesser goalie as there’s no one to bail you out. Definitely happens with the football team I play for. As a result our first choice keeper isn’t quite as good as the second choice.

In front of Kozun it’s clear that the defence forms a more solid box and keeps shots to the outside, meaning every shot is down his throat.

How many times over the years have back up goalies who are nowhere near no.1 come in and gotten a shut out? Joe Myers, Mike Will and Murdy have all done it, and there are examples across the league.

Psychology is so big in sport.

TL91

Conversely it could be argued that you have to stay focused with a lesser goalie as there’s no one to bail you out. Definitely happens with the football team I play for. As a result our first choice keeper isn’t quite as good as the second choice.

In front of Kozun it’s clear that the defence forms a more solid box and keeps shots to the outside, meaning every shot is down his throat.

How many times over the years have back up goalies who are nowhere near no.1 come in and gotten a shut out? Joe Myers, Mike Will and Murdy have all done it, and there are examples across the league.

Psychology is so big in sport.
Don’t disagree with the sentiment. Just feel that over a number of games (think Kozun is on 17/18 so far?) that the team would have cracked not just once, but a few times it this was the case every time he played. Particularly over the last few weeks where he’s been playing night to night.

moggy#9

Don’t disagree with the sentiment. Just feel that over a number of games (think Kozun is on 17/18 so far?) that the team would have cracked not just once, but a few times it this was the case every time he played. Particularly over the last few weeks where he’s been playing night to night.
People, people, has it really come to this? Polite and reasoned debate over a difference of opinion - on the inferno of all places! Where is the name calling and bile? I demand immediate action from the mods. ;-)