Nitra Vs Devils - Continental Cup Final #3 - 15th Jan 23 - 13:00 FO

I don’t. It was probably standing ovations all round as they left the ice. The level of hero worship that we show some of these players is cringe.
Okay. Where were you? Did you actually make the effort! How dare you say about standing ovations and happy clappers. I'm here. Been supporting for 26 years and have thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. Di

Finny

Bit surprised at the negativity/outrage on here because we didn’t win the whole thing.

In the 25 years of the Continental Cup a UK team has won it…….once. Only three times has a UK team come second. And that includes the Belfast team that pipped us to the league title on tie-breakers who couldn’t win it even when they hosted the Finals.

Meanwhile Nitra become the fifth Slovakian winners, the most successful nation in the competitions history.

We won all three games we hosted in the previous round. In the Finals we lost by a goal to the eventual winners, lost a shoot-out to the hosts and beat the other team convincingly.

Obviously I’m disappointed we didn’t win it but I think some fans on here need a bit of a reality check.

Gavevs88

I’ve been observing Franny & maybe it’s my memory or the fact I’ve never been to a Devils game, that Franny is looking more & more uninterested. Today in the limited shots of the bench he was stood away from Dupont and his clown, who remained very close to each other. The three need to go, Franny is a rock & true Devil but he’s not in 100% anymore, we need people to be, the clown brings nothing & unless we are happy for Dupont to continue learning with little success forthcoming anytime soon, then we need him to step down to assist or leave.
Wow, how disrespectful a comment is that. To call yourself a supporter and refer to coaches as clowns. Also Franny does so much for this club, without him I don't think we'd have much of a club left!! Go take a look at yourself.

Rempel16

I really can’t get onboard with that statement. You can see how confidence in a player impacts the performances of other players within a team. As an example, watched a game of football yesterday, the keeper was very shaky and you could then see that setting into the other players. Conversely, if the team have confidence in their goalkeeper; they can focus on their own games and therefore better individual and team performances.
Well, I know it’s football, so off topic, but Lloris’ performance today has blown my theory out of the water!

Happy to accept being in the minority and wrong on this one.

TL91

Well, I know it’s football, so off topic, but Lloris’ performance today has blown my theory out of the water!

Happy to accept being in the minority and wrong on this one.
Hahaha he has dropped off quite a bit this season. I will defend him a little with the slight deflection before contact and short distance and time to react following the deflection. Slow mo makes us all look awful for context, I’m a keeper myself so may be a bit more sympathetic!

Swarley

After losing what was probably our only shot at silverware this season with a performance that was about 40 minutes worth of hockey in a final where the entire team should of been blood thirsty for a win it's obvious that this team can't win the big games that matter, challenge cup we didn't have enough, conti cup we just didn't turn up during the first period and we paid for that, league title isn't going to happen and playoffs I'd say Dundee have a better chance of winning it this season, if the owners are happy with DuPont is progressing as coach then nothing will change and as fans we have to just accept that, this season we've been out planned, out played and out coached pretty much every big game we've needed to win.

Devil94

After losing what was probably our only shot at silverware this season with a performance that was about 40 minutes worth of hockey in a final where the entire team should of been blood thirsty for a win it's obvious that this team can't win the big games that matter, challenge cup we didn't have enough, conti cup we just didn't turn up during the first period and we paid for that, league title isn't going to happen and playoffs I'd say Dundee have a better chance of winning it this season, if the owners are happy with DuPont is progressing as coach then nothing will change and as fans we have to just accept that, this season we've been out planned, out played and out coached pretty much every big game we've needed to win.
Let's hope this post isn't screenshot by another teams fan and posted online so they can all laugh at how entitled and ridiculous we sound again.
A reminder, this reaction is for losing the FINAL of an European competition. A competition that Dupont got us to in the first place and then got us to the final of, where we lost by one goal. I'm sure other fans are crying us a river how tough it is to be a Devils fan.
Back at home we have won 12 of our last 15 games in the league over a super hectic Christmas period, with wins over Guildford, Sheffield and Belfast.
I'm sure that the owners and a lot of fans are happy that we've had 2 weekends of European hockey, and still very much in the running for the league in the form we are in.

Swarley

Let's hope this post isn't screenshot by another teams fan and posted online so they can all laugh at how entitled and ridiculous we sound again.
Where was the entitlement exactly? If anything I'm pointing out what other fans noticed, the team just chokes on big games this season it happens to every club at some point.

Kevlar68

I don't get why there is surprise at the negativity of the fans.
This was a weak final group that gave us the best chance of European glory.
We had already beaten Angers in group stage so psychologicaly we should have had the advantage.
Asiago are 11th in a league of 13.
Nitra are 11th in a league of 12.
Asiago scored 3 against Nitra who we beat 7-1.
Angers took Nitra to a shootout.
We were 3rd in our league going in to this comp and we had won 8 out of 9 with 4 of those wins against close rivals, steelers, blaze and flames so our guys should have been wired beyond belief.
Add to all that a shocking, pass, pass, pass non movement 5 min powerplay.
Then to twist the knife further Asiago beat Angers.
That is why there is negativity.

Last edited:

E.D.S.

I still come back to the same thing.... we're a 4th/5th placed team in our league. We have arguably one of the weakest Devils teams we've seen in a good few years. We're rebuilding. The decision was made to appoint a rookie coach. We aren't setting the world alight and nor will we. I didn't expect to win the Conti Cup, I don't expect to win the league, I don't expect us to beat the Giants and Guildford coming up. I don't expect it but if we do it's a right bonus. I don't see entitlement necessarily from some fans, I see a group who have been used to different standards both in terms of attitude, style of play and success. Those expectations clearly need calibrating otherwise it's a miserable, miserable season. I think it's fully understandable that those missed expectations turn to negativity and frustration at times. There's no legislating for someone who makes it personal and hurtful - but I don't necessarily see 'entitlement'. Each to their own, I guess.

tim78

Personally I thought the team gave a good show against Nitra, we started well but Nitra are very clinical in their shooting and we weren't but we still generated a ton of chances.

The team can win and in my eyes are certainly more challenging than the first season Lord fielded.

Wannabe2

Let's hope this post isn't screenshot by another teams fan and posted online so they can all la
No negativity from me just the acceptance that this is the team we have and any illusion of winning silverware is just that, it's an illusion.
I think one of the frustrating things about this team, is that when they play as they can they can be very good, but there’s no consistency about us, we are either very good, or lousy. When we play lousy we wonder where the other team have gone, and when we turn it on we wonder how we can be so bad. Think Steelers and Giants have the same deficentsy, consistency seems to be the problem. Having said that we allow too many goals against and our D is our main problem.

Kevlar68

I think the word negativity that someone had used is more like frustration from fans, i'm sure all Devils fans were frustrated at the Angers and Nitra games.

Last edited:
We are missing coughler so so much. The lack creativity when up against decent D is so clear. It's going to be a long couple of months if he isn't ready to play. If we want to be serious contenders we need to address the lack of a real line one power goal scorer