Festive Hockey - Devils V Blaze - 2014 Edition

Finny

I actually feel sorry for the Blaze fans who came all the way to watch that from their team.

The 1st period was probably the worst from the Devils all season. We were awful, looked slow and couldn't put two passes together. Yet we were still better than Coventry.
Second period was better from Cardiff and finally took the lead when Culligan skated his way through the Blaze defence, drew out Stewart and then fired the puck into the empty net. Lord then had a great chance to make it 2-0 only for Stewart to make an outstanding save, before Clarkson finally doubled the lead when his shot through traffic somehow missed everyone until it hit the back of the net.

Blaze did have a couple of chances, but most were from Devils mistakes or lucky bounces - and even then Bowns made some great saves.

The third period felt like a 20 minute powerplay to the Devils and Lord made the game safe (if it wasn't already) when he scored a similar goal to Culligan. Blaze did up their effort in the final two minutes to break the shutout and did so in fortuitous circumstances with a couple of seconds left when Bowns made the initial save, but the rebound hit a Devils leg, bounced back to Bowns, who blocked it again only for Arnt to knock it home.

Far from the best and most fluid Devils performance, but it was efficient and got us another two points.

Sheincar

Finny said:
I actually feel sorry for the Blaze fans who came all the way to watch that from their team.

The 1st period was probably the worst from the Devils all season. We were awful, looked slow and couldn't put two passes together. Yet we were still better than Coventry.
Second period was better from Cardiff and finally took the lead when Culligan skated his way through the Blaze defence, drew out Stewart and then fired the puck into the empty net. Lord then had a great chance to make it 2-0 only for Stewart to make an outstanding save, before Clarkson finally doubled the lead when his shot through traffic somehow missed everyone until it hit the back of the net.

Blaze did have a couple of chances, but most were from Devils mistakes or lucky bounces - and even then Bowns made some great saves.

The third period felt like a 20 minute powerplay to the Devils and Lord made the game safe (if it wasn't already) when he scored a similar goal to Culligan. Blaze did up their effort in the final two minutes to break the shutout and did so in fortuitous circumstances with a couple of seconds left when Bowns made the initial save, but the rebound hit a Devils leg, bounced back to Bowns, who blocked it again only for Arnt to knock it home.

Far from the best and most fluid Devils performance, but it was efficient and got us another two points.
Is that what Arnt did to earn his MOM because he was anonymous all game?

ASHIPP

Such an important result tonight..the Devils worked effeciently to get the w. Our team are now second equal with Braehead in the League and right in the mix at the top end. A truly fantastic achievement and the Guys should be proud of themselves.

However we could ask the question why the score line wasnt 8-0. Answer is simple.....Stewart single-handedly absorbed the offensive onslaught from the Devils and gave the Blaze a glimmer of hope. A really outstanding netminder whose ability should be admired and respected....not needlessly vilified when the Devils were already winning and in control of the game.

I love hockey banter at opposition players but the abuse Stewart received tonight crossed the line. He is Coventry' best player by a country mile....with a poor defence in front of him. It was only last season that WE were the laughing stock of this league. Class and credilbilty have been restored to our beloved club. Let's help maintain that as fans by being classy ourselves.

Devil_Abroad

Yup 1st period was disjointed - nothing going right - Blaze played the trap well - and the ice for some reason was choppy - but amazingly we were still in it

2nd they started to play well - and all the lines - and the pressure cranked up and up - and when Culligan scored that goal (amazing sprint down the left over the blue line, cut inside the first D, dipped shoulder on second D, fake wrist shot on Stewart and then lifted into the open net - class goal!) then you could see the relief all around and they just played with the Blaze like a cat with a mouse. It was awesome hockey

By the third it was just wave after wave after wave - checking, cycling, stealing, rotating - our shooting was sometimes poor - but so close to roofing it at other times - and though I don't quite know why we always have a go at Stewart, without him tonight Blaze would have been behind I'm sure by double figures - he made some outrageous saves.

The atmosphere after the first was like the old WNIR days

I just loved the whole night - despite this awful chesty virus

Thank you owners, Todd and Lord

And I can enjoy it all again on Tuesday before heading back to England!

Happy hockey days folks!

mazza03

ASHIPP said:
Such an important result tonight..the Devils worked effeciently to get the w. Our team are now second equal with Braehead in the League and right in the mix at the top end. A truly fantastic achievement and the Guys should be proud of themselves.

However we could ask the question why the score line wasnt 8-0. Answer is simple.....Stewart single-handedly absorbed the offensive onslaught from the Devils and gave the Blaze a glimmer of hope. A really outstanding netminder whose ability should be admired and respected....not needlessly vilified when the Devils were already winning and in control of the game.

I love hockey banter at opposition players but the abuse Stewart received tonight crossed the line. He is Coventry' best player by a country mile....with a poor defence in front of him. It was only last season that WE were the laughing stock of this league. Class and credilbilty have been restored to our beloved club. Let's help maintain that as fans by being classy ourselves.
Well said, I know it's only banter but tonight I felt it was in poor taste, Stewart worked his socks of and lMHO should have been MOM

Wagstaff

mazza03 said:
ASHIPP said:

Well said, I know it's only banter but tonight I felt it was in poor taste, Stewart worked his socks of and lMHO should have been MOM
Banter
verb
exchange remarks in a good-humoured teasing way.
Not sure that's quite the right word?

Earnie said:
I agree with some others on here and do not support the so called 'banter' on Stewart. Bad taste I call it.
+1 Agreed.
Felt for the guy tonight, he's single handily carried that Blaze team so far this season.

voth26

ASHIPP said:

+1

Unfortunately it's banter everyone is entitled to an opinion, is it bad I say no, if it effects that player and he does not play 100% in that game then it helps out our side, as he is a professional sportsman I'm sure he blocks it out because he should be focused on his job keeping out the puck, which last night he had a good game but went wandering a couple of times!

Ger-Devils

Stewart is an easier target really as there's one of him and 6 D men on their roster.

For me, he's a quality goalie and until he has a decent D in front of him, he will keep facing a huge amount of shots week in week out.

Ocko

I don't think it's bad either. It's just chanting his name to get under his skin. It's far too pretentious sometimes in British hockey, I'm sure the players have heard worse than what has heard in the BBT. Chanting 'it's all your fault' and 'steeeewart' is nothing to what's heard in the US/Canada and in other sports such as football.

I do think he's a brilliant NM, probably the best in the league IMO. He's carried that team all season, he knows it, the fans know it, that's why it's easy to get under his skin.

DevilDom

Stewart was by far the best Blaze player and deserved MOM. It should have been given to him.

Saying that the baiting of him is recognition of the fact he is Blaze's best player and if fans can put him off his game even 1% that helps our team. That is professional sport. I don't hear anything that went too far but if it did then I agree it shouldn't but chanting "steeeewwwwaaarrrrtttt" and "its all your fault" is hardly taking things too far! Get a grip people.

With regards the game, I thought the Blaze offered very little other than damage limitation and the 3-1 score line flattered them and was principally down to Stewart. Such a shame as the Christmas games with the Blaze used to be real crackers with an electric atmosphere but I thought that last night the atmosphere was flat and that was reflected on the ice.

Scrappy first period with Devils finally getting on top in the 2nd thanks to a beauty from Culligan. Devils kept the pressure on after that and were rewarded with 2 more nice goals. Shame Bowns never got a shut out due to some unlucky bounces. I was quite surprised when checking the game stats that Blaze actually managed 25 shots as I thought it was a lot lower than that, I would guess the number of quality shots could be counted on 1 hand.

voth26

Just looked at the league table it makes for great reading joint on points with braehead 37 points, and joint top scorers in the league with steelers 106 goals scored and fourth for goals against 79, looking good so far but still a long way to go. What a difference a change of circumstances and a positive approach to business makes, oh and a great set of owners, great coach and team and a fantastic GM always helps :pickle :Banana

drainage

DevilDom said:
Stewart was by far the best Blaze player and deserved MOM. It should have been given to him.

Saying that the baiting of him is recognition of the fact he is Blaze's best player and if fans can put him off his game even 1% that helps our team. That is professional sport. I don't hear anything that went too far but if it did then I agree it shouldn't but chanting "steeeewwwwaaarrrrtttt" and "its all your fault" is hardly taking things too far! Get a grip people.

With regards the game, I thought the Blaze offered very little other than damage limitation and the 3-1 score line flattered them and was principally down to Stewart. Such a shame as the Christmas games with the Blaze used to be real crackers with an electric atmosphere but I thought that last night the atmosphere was flat and that was reflected on the ice.

Scrappy first period with Devils finally getting on top in the 2nd thanks to a beauty from Culligan. Devils kept the pressure on after that and were rewarded with 2 more nice goals. Shame Bowns never got a shut out due to some unlucky bounces. I was quite surprised when checking the game stats that Blaze actually managed 25 shots as I thought it was a lot lower than that, I would guess the number of quality shots could be counted on 1 hand.
With you Dom he is by far and away their best player .......you could argue that the chanting is a perverse form of flattery ! He deserves a better team than he is playing with at moment , his frustration with his own D probably means he doesn't pay the chants a great deal of attention

We have had it done to our players plenty of times .......don't see an issue myself but do feel a tad sorry for him at moment

Guess everyone is entitled to their views and can join in or not as they see fit

But right now think we must be the happiest fans in the league and long may that continue! :D

Sheincar said:
Ocko said:
Sheincar said:
As there'll be so many there hopefully a bumper 50/50. Blaze prize was about £440 last night; help us sellers to beat that!
Thats a good point. Sheffield had there's in the thousands last night and have done most of the year. Maybe a big effort from fans, sellers and Todd on the mic could bump ours up. (Not that I am doubting the effort of the sellers, before anyone gets sensitive)
Sheffield's was £6294 from a crowd of about 8000. I can't stand Simms but fair play to him he's really boosted their sales.Clan get about £1000 and even Milton Keynes get more than £400. Ours is really poor in comparison & no longer any reason for it. Plenty of sellers & vocal with it ?( or is that just me?).
Well we did it ....new record for BBT of £517 prize on 50/50.
Thanks guys for supporting the team through 50/50 sales, huge thanks to all of the sellers who work so hard each game and congratulations to Frazer Hogg on winning! What a great prize to receive post Christmas!

Let's keep raising the bar on the 50/50 cash prize #inittowinit

Diafol

Really can't see a problem with the "Steeeeeewaaaaaaaart" chant, especially after the "Audrey" chants directed towards Peter Aubry after they'd given us a hammering. If someone is being abusive or using foul language then that's another issue.

Anyone else remember the classy fans who turned up wearing hard hats etc during our final season in the WNIR ?
I haven't seen anything as bad as that from our lot.

drainage

Diafol said:
Really can't see a problem with the "Steeeeeewaaaaaaaart" chant, especially after the "Audrey" chants directed towards Peter Aubry after they'd given us a hammering. If someone is being abusive or using foul language then that's another issue.

Anyone else remember the classy fans who turned up wearing hard hats etc during our final season in the WNIR ?
I haven't seen anything as bad as that from our lot.
Yes I remember !!!! At the time was insensitive probably is now but as you say we haven't to my knowledge ever done anything that bad ......correct me if I am wrong !

DevilDom said:

Saying that the baiting of him is recognition of the fact he is Blaze's best player and if fans can put him off his game even 1% that helps our team. That is professional sport........! Get a grip people...................
A

A quality keeper...with experience....is more likely, in my opinion, to raise his game 10% in the face of such chanting. In every professional sport I know, adverse criticism or publicity is often used to extra motivate a player or team.
So, if anything such chanting gives Coventry an 'extra' stimulus....not the Devils.

Ocko

To put the sell out crowd of 2300 into perspective; it is few days short of a year ago that we had a crowd of 606 against Fife.