Festive Hockey - Devils V Blaze - 2014 Edition

jimmy snels

Should i not ask a certain steelers player how much too let the devils score again? We booed, waved money at him and heckled him all night. Why? Because he's their best player and a smelly steeler! That's enough for me! Seems to me there needs to be a negative, but frankly there are none so be like a chav fan and keep your opinions in the library :-D

Ocko said:
Now we're worried about upsetting the opposition NM? This is a new low Devils fans. It's one of the most aggressive and violent contact sports and people are concerned about a few chants, of which none were personal, overly aggressive or in the slightest bit not suitable for a family audience.

I hope the opposition hate coming here, I don't want it to be comfortable at all. I want them to arrive before the game and be itching to get back on the bus. Why do we try and be so nice/pretentious? Take a trip to a few football/rugby derbies I'm sure you'll come back thinking it's playground stuff in British hockey after being there.

totally agree

aplzart said:
Ocko said:
Now we're worried about upsetting the opposition NM? This is a new low Devils fans. It's one of the most aggressive and violent contact sports and people are concerned about a few chants, of which none were personal, overly aggressive or in the slightest bit not suitable for a family audience.

I hope the opposition hate coming here, I don't want it to be comfortable at all. I want them to arrive before the game and be itching to get back on the bus. Why do we try and be so nice/pretentious? Take a trip to a few football/rugby derbies I'm sure you'll come back thinking it's playground stuff in British hockey after being there.

totally agree
I think "you're a disgrace to your (a number of things) and a disgrace to your family" was very personal.

Sheincar

Chanting "it's all your fault" at Stewart seems particularly inappropriate given he was the best Blaze player.I guess the fact we didn't score more was his fault though.

jayemm said:
aplzart said:
Ocko said:

totally agree
I think "you're a disgrace to your (a number of things) and a disgrace to your family" was very personal.
earlier on this thread i asked if anyone heard anything more than his name or "its all your fault " said and no-one said anything which is why i agree with the above statement, in which it seems that ocko only heard aswell.

If that was shouted at him that was wrong but i didnt hear any of that.

Also the "its all your fault" was because he made a big mistake in the BBT earlier in the season causing the devils to get back into the game and beat the blaze (atlesast thats what i thought).

James

Administrator
I find the 'It's all your fault' chants funny. It clearly isn't his fault as he's there best player, but he's shown time and again when he gets wound up he looses it. If the chants have anything to do with that, great. Personal comments are out of order but the banter is great.

Wagstaff

Stewie is a professional, he's also one of the best netties in the league and stick a decent defence in front of him and he would be almost impregnable, calling his name is boring and monotonous for those around the callers (including your own fans who don't join in) but does it affect him? I don't think so, a one goal difference between him and Bownsie with a much better set of forwards shooting at him, I would say not.
If it turns to personal comments then yes it can get out of hand or be out of order, you don't know him personally so don't make it personal! The same goes for any player in my eyes.

I presume (as I've not been a hockey fan for long) that our fans were probably quite arrogant during our successful years, so I won't complain, if ever we get a fully fit side that plays like they know each other, maybe Bownsie will get some stick?...... It's a big if though!

Sliput

Wagstaff said:
Stewie is a professional, he's also one of the best netties in the league and stick a decent defence in front of him and he would be almost impregnable, calling his name is boring and monotonous for those around the callers (including your own fans who don't join in) but does it affect him? I don't think so, a one goal difference between him and Bownsie with a much better set of forwards shooting at him, I would say not.
If it turns to personal comments then yes it can get out of hand or be out of order, you don't know him personally so don't make it personal! The same goes for any player in my eyes.

I presume (as I've not been a hockey fan for long) that our fans were probably quite arrogant during our successful years, so I won't complain, if ever we get a fully fit side that plays like they know each other, maybe Bownsie will get some stick?...... It's a big if though!
I have to agree with most of your post. It got boring in Coventry and pointless on Saturday. I do understand why it was started but as the last two games has clearly shown, it no longer affects Stewart, who is quite clearly the best player on the Blaze team.

As for Blaze fans, the fans who sit at the front of block 14 are the most embarrassing fans I have come across in my years as a Devils fan. The comments they shout are pathetic ( the away team walk past them to get to and from the changing room) but when a player dares to call them on it they complain !!

I love banter but when it becomes boring it just sounds silly.

Ocko said:

Completely agree. If heckling a few players with some chants such as those aimed at Stewart gives the Devils any form of advantage on the ice, then I'll certainly be joining in with them. The fact Stewart has lost it once or twice already over it, has been wonderful. Don't understand what the problem is with people. So long as it's not personal, or abusive, then what's the problem?!

Anyway, on to tomorrow and two more points please. :Banana :RAWK

So it's ok for players to chirp at each other and not the fans....come on if we can get any advantage as the "7" player on the ice then we should continue to do so, however it should be more comical chirping rather than the players chirping language.

In years go by we've seen netties crumble and enforcers loose it due to the crowd, long may it continue.

The fact that we give Stewart a bit of banter is because he is the best player on the ice. If it works..great..if not..well who cares. I'm sure Stewart doesn't.

No other team in the EIHL would give a damn about giving a bit of stick to a Cardiff player that they want to play below his normal standard. It's all about home advantage. If you can get into a guys head, within the realms of decency...then go for it.

Stewart was massive at The BBT the other night. He made some stand out saves. Put him behind a decent team and he would put up some of the best numbers in this league IMHO. Also he seemed to play injured for a good part of the last period yet still made great saves.

Keep it clean...keep it funny...I have no problem. If that helps our team. Excellent work Devils fans...Keep up the good work!

drainage

Wagstaff said:

I haven't heard anything personal chanted and nor do I want to , it's no worse than any teams fans do to any player they think they can get a rise out off !

Have your fans been arrogant ? Yeap but probably no more or less than other teams over the years

I don't get the issue with the chanting pretty much everyone agrees he is a great nettie so it's very much tongue in cheek , think we need to stop over analysing and get on with supporting what is turning out to be a great team

I personally thnk he's kept you from a battering on some occasions will I chant him again ? Yes if the mood takes me doesn't mean I don't respect his abilities and it will always be a family friendly chirp

Wagstaff

drainage said:
Wagstaff said:

I haven't heard anything personal chanted and nor do I want to , it's no worse than any teams fans do to any player they think they can get a rise out off !

Have your fans been arrogant ? Yeap but probably no more or less than other teams over the years

I don't get the issue with the chanting pretty much everyone agrees he is a great nettie so it's very much tongue in cheek , think we need to stop over analysing and get on with supporting what is turning out to be a great team

I personally thnk he's kept you from a battering on some occasions will I chant him again ? Yes if the mood takes me doesn't mean I don't respect his abilities and it will always be a family friendly chirp
Hang on a second, if you go back and look at the thread, it wasn't me that raised the topic!
It wasn't me that said that some fans were going over the top....... It was your own friends.
What I said was that it became monotonous and others on here have agreed, I also said I don't think it should be personal and if you really read it properly you will also note that the original post said that it had gone beyond a line, nobody has said you shouldn't be chanting!
Oh and I gave you the definition of the word banter, having a nice quiet library helps with that sort of thing ! :Banana

No problem with chirping at opposition players,I love giving other teams players a bit of stick on the ice,as long as it's not personal or abusive then what's the problem.
Always used to love it when you had dion darling on your team and when he played for the steelers,every time ge touched the puck all you heard was ooohhh dion ooooohhh,voth got stick every away game he played don't think it ever affected his game.
On another point the skydone is a library and has been for a long time now with the rubbish served up week after week,our hockey is a mix of no contact,no fighting European style boring mind numbing hockey,really think weber gas his hands full.

Ocko

On the subject of the Skydome library. The match night experience is awful and doesn't help either. The intro, with all that dance music, is terrible. It doesn't get the crowd involved and into the game at all. Mix in an announcer attempting to skate around like bambi and it just adds to the cheese. Blaze are very similar to how we were last year (although not as bad off ice). A bit of an overhaul is needed on and off the ice IMO.

drainage

Wagstaff didn't say you had was simply replying to your post ! I know this was started by Devils fans .......replied to you more re the were we arrogant comment and I didn't or haven't heard any personal comments !

For me it's all banter and no harm done ..... We can't complain when it's dished back so fill your boots !

Ocko said:
On the subject of the Skydome library. The match night experience is awful and doesn't help either. The intro, with all that dance music, is terrible. It doesn't get the crowd involved and into the game at all. Mix in an announcer attempting to skate around like bambi and it just adds to the cheese. Blaze are very similar to how we were last year (although not as bad off ice). A bit of an overhaul is needed on and off the ice IMO.
The music has been dire for a while at the skydome,cheap tacky euro pop music,nit to mention that bloody gangnam style rubbish,their response is always it's a family sport so no morerock or metal music anymore,when the blaze used to do warm up practice you used to get ac/dc pumping out of the speakers,the announcer at the blaze ganes is a guy of the local radio station,the man in my opinion is a complete tool,crass embarrassing jokes and vain attempts at humour every week.