Devils Vs Blaze Challenge Match 28th August - Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Devils Vs Blaze Challenge Match 28th Sept - Chat Thread

Nice to see everyone still getting along with each other on the forums :lol:

Overall I didn't think the game was too negative really, I think our main problem was our defence looking like it was all over the place but we have changed the majority of our D so I suppose that wouldn't help. Hopefully with a week of training and another game that can be fixed.

I think Matzka and Pelle look like they could be really good players, Matzka took the goal very well and also played a few very nice passes. As others have said Pelle looks like he is able to sneak around and inbetween players due to his size. Tylor carried on from where he left off last season, he hit anything that moved and had a few awesome plays and was my MOTM.

Someone said that the would have expected the Voth line to do better than they did as they were the same line as last year but the line wasn't together for the majority of the game as Voth had a 2 minute penalty then a 2 + 10 and later in the game Finnerty had 2 + 5 + 10. So most of the time the line was split up anyway.

I don't know what caused the Finnerty fight so I can't comment on that being a stupid penatly but I was glad that Max gave Sodastream a beating after he checked Matzka's head into the boards and Hicks did nothing. Yet again a game where Voth gets 2 + 10 for checking to the head (I didn't see it so can't say if he deserved it) but then the opposition get away with no penalty called so our players end up retaliating and get all of the penalties.

And how did the Linesman call that offside near the end of the game, the puck was at least 2 feet into the offensive zone so not even close to going over the blue line.

the placid casual said:
What exactly is your point all i said was that i thought Stuart Macrae was a pretty good player and you are having a go at me, and for the record do you know me? because i can assure you i am not an old man.
...and All I said was that I thought he was terrible, then you proceeded to get on your high horse and inform me that you had been watching since 1986, implying that my opinion was inferior to yours!

oneill said:
These pre-season games are a chance for the players to get a bit of a competitive work out... It's when the season starts that's when it matters..

I love how fans on forums form opinions after one game... Last season a number of Giants fans were hammering Benedict after a couple of games on KOTG, and looked how good he turned out to be. Malcolm MacMillan the year before that.. :)

I'm with you, one friendly game and the soothsayers are out, these games give the teams a chance to have some ice time before the season starts, you really cant read much into them especially when some teams have been together longer than others

rocketbob

I was impressed by Mazka tonight, he looked like the real deal to me. I also think the D will get better. Especially after they get over the jet lag and have had a few more training sessions together.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Lid said:
Nice to see everyone still getting along with each other on the forums :lol:

Overall I didn't think the game was too negative really, I think our main problem was our defence looking like it was all over the place but we have changed the majority of our D so I suppose that wouldn't help. Hopefully with a week of training and another game that can be fixed.

I think Matzka and Pelle look like they could be really good players, Matzka took the goal very well and also played a few very nice passes. As others have said Pelle looks like he is able to sneak around and inbetween players due to his size. Tylor carried on from where he left off last season, he hit anything that moved and had a few awesome plays and was my MOTM.

Someone said that the would have expected the Voth line to do better than they did as they were the same line as last year but the line wasn't together for the majority of the game as Voth had a 2 minute penalty then a 2 + 10 and later in the game Finnerty had 2 + 5 + 10. So most of the time the line was split up anyway.

I don't know what caused the Finnerty fight so I can't comment on that being a stupid penatly but I was glad that Max gave Sodastream a beating after he checked Matzka's head into the boards and Hicks did nothing. Yet again a game where Voth gets 2 + 10 for checking to the head (I didn't see it so can't say if he deserved it) but then the opposition get away with no penalty called so our players end up retaliating and get all of the penalties.

And how did the Linesman call that offside near the end of the game, the puck was at least 2 feet into the offensive zone so not even close to going over the blue line.

Basically agree with everything you said here, the 1st period was some what of a mess, I thought the new players and lines had issues (to be expected) knowing where each other where and just seemed disorganised, especially at the back. Things generally improved over the next 2 though but people still seem to be tripping over themselves/each other. Again, to be expected though.

I was more concerned with the amount of fire extingusishers on the ice (this is the first game and we have PI building the new rink sprang to mind) and officals still being blind (thankfully Max proving we can look after ourselves). Id love to see a replay on that offside because it certainly didn't look it to me either, by a fair margin.

Loved Ben and Tylors work rate, as usual they gave it some, Tylor skating rings around them was a highlight :) Pelle was good as well. Wouldn't like to be to negative and give a worst player at this point but a name did spring to mind.

Lastly the crowd where pretty fired up at the start, but maybe some of our rookie season ticket holders don't know the chants? It seemed pretty quiet in places, I know we where loosing and everything but still. Maybe that was just me? Also any reason for the away fans seating changing side? Just curious.

Wasn't an awful game, blaze were simply more clinical in their play ie making the puck do the work and setting up goals whereas we seemed to be chasing/ skating hard all game but not creating the opportunitites.

The new players seem quite promising, in Pelle I saw similarities with Michel and that Sawyer chap is huge! And nice to see Michel continue from where he left off last season :)

The refs were not great, seemed quite anti-Devils (although I was informed that this is normal with Hicks?) and called some duff decisions, was nice to see Max destroy Soderstrom seeing as the ref didn't call it :twisted:

To say it's our first game after one training session, i think the season could be quite promising :)

Ninety3 said:
Wasn't an awful game, blaze were simply more clinical in their play ie making the puck do the work and setting up goals whereas we seemed to be chasing/ skating hard all game but not creating the opportunitites.

The new players seem quite promising, in Pelle I saw similarities with Michel and that Sawyer chap is huge! And nice to see Michel continue from where he left off last season :)

The refs were not great, seemed quite anti-Devils (although I was informed that this is normal with Hicks?) and called some duff decisions, was nice to see Max destroy Soderstrom seeing as the ref didn't call it :twisted:

To say it's our first game after one training session, i think the season could be quite promising :)
I knew Hicks name before I learned who most of the players where...

Kipper

Quite frankly the Devils were shocking. They looked like they had never played together before.

As previously stated, you can't look at this too seriously. Blaze were in the same boat on Wednesday - Carlson hadn't touched ice since April! Not going to comment on the Voth v Jaeger incident anymore as it's pointless on here. Would say though, Gerard has got to stop Devils from gooning it up. Goons don't win trophies.

drainage

For me it seemed to be a game played by players who havent had time to gel - shocker of a second goal not withstanding. I am not downheartened ........ things take more than 1 training session to gel.

Sorry but Hicks does seem intent on calling any one wearing the Devils logo ..... Max did start the fight but only because the numpty in the stripes failed to call what happened before.

Be interested this season in seeing a breakdown of points per player per ref ..... I am fairly certain there will be a theme. Can we get this ?

TheStub

You'd probably have to work it out yourself :lol:

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

was speaking to a blaze fan in the car park before the game and they said that tonight was there best chance of beating us this year and said we had the best team in the league this year

Finny

As usual, my totally unbiased and reliable match report:

Well the night started well. I thought the new intro was fantastic, especially the "we were there" clips which really got the crowd going." Unfortunately it all kind of went downhill from there.

Devils started with a strong forecheck but within 45 seconds Voth had picked up his first penalty of the season. 2 minutes for hooking which I totally missed despite watching Voth to see who he was going to hit next.

On the powerplay, Blaze took the lead almost straight away on the PP. With Carlson screening the netminder, the shot from the point (Fulghum?) was only blocked, dropped perfectly for Carlson to tap into the empty net with Lyle looking around for the puck.
Devils 0-1 Blaze

Devils tried to get back into the game and got a PP of their own when Birbraer was taken out as he chased the loose puck. Suprisingly both Lee and Cruickshank both got 2 minutes for hooking when I could only see Lee hooking him. Devils got a 5-on-3 but we obviously haven't had many PP practices and tbh it was pretty crap. Jaeger got his angles right but we didn't really test him that much. Last season we would have passed it round and the Jarvis would have stepped in before releasing an unstoppable slapshot. Nobody did though and the Blaze survived the 2 minutes quite comfortably.

Cardiff seemed to be having most of the posession and chances, though that was partially down to the Blaze continuing to take penalties and gift the Devils PP chances. Unfortunately for one PP we forgot we had the advantage and only iced 4 players for around 40 seconds. Voth also picked up a 2+10 for a check to the head which I missed as I chose the wrong time to look away to write something down.

After a break down the rightwing by Cruickshank was stopped by a solid Sawyer check/slap to the face, the puck fell loose into the corner (which hadn't yet melted away). Sawyer looked favourite to get to it, but was hooked then held by Cruickshank without penalty. Chambers managed to get the puck, and after feeding it on to Owen, Zanon was allowed to advance towards the netminder unopposed and he fired the puck just inside the near post and past Lyle.
Devils 0-2 Blaze

Coventry had only really had two chances and scored both. They started to dominate the rest of the period though and after a scramble in the Devils crease the Blaze contrived to miss two open nets. With a couple of minutes left in the period, Pelle appeared to stand on the puck and fall over with no Blaze player near him. Hicks though gave Lee 2 minutes for tripping - and he seemed as gobsmacked as me.

Into the second period, and the Devils started to look tired already. The Blaze were starting to pass the puck around well whilst Chambers was making the Devils defence look like statues as he danced he way around him. 6 minutes into the period though, and after chasing a loose puck Matzka was sent into the boards headfirst with a check from behind by Soderstrom. No whistle from Hicks, but within a second Birbraer had got to Soderstrom, dropped the gloves and gave Sodastream one hell of a beating. I'd always wondered why Birbraer didn't fight more, on this evidence it is for the safety of his opponent. Sodapop skated off to the dressing room with his eye looking like it had been moved to his cheek and didn't ice again.
Sodapop got 5 minutes for fighting but nothing for the check from behind. Birbraer got 5 mintues for fighting plus 2+10 for beating the crap out of his announcement. Or Instigating, I forget which.

The fight seemed to lift the Devils a bit who started to create chances of their own again. Voth reminded Blaze fans why he is so popular with them. Chasing down a puck towards the net, a Blaze defender tried to push him away as Jaeger collected the bouncing puck. Voth wasn't deviating his route though and the Blaze defenceman bounced off him and straight into Jaeger, catching him in the head. Blaze fans and players went nuts, but to fair to Voth he was never skating at Jaeger and would almost certainly/most probably/perhaps skated past him without incident had the Blaze player not got involved.

Next shift and with the same players on the ice, Voth's presense created a mad scramble infront of the net. As Voth looked like he might score, Carlson charged across the ice full speed and cross-checked Voth from behind. Fortunate to get only 2 mins IMO. The PP lasted only a couple of seconds though. Michel put a Blaze player on his butt with a cracking shoulder check from standing, but was given 2 minutes for a cross-check which left both sets of player bemused and giggling.

Devils collected a loose puck in their own zone and with no evident danger my mind wandered and I looked the other way. After a gasp from the crowd, I looked back to discover that Chambers somehow had the puck infront of the net all alone and took his time to deek past Lyle and slide the puck into the net.
Devils 0-3 Blaze

Carlson seemed to have a bee in his bonnet last night and something seemed to have got him worked up. From a faceoff, he seemed to grab Finnerty and after the two grabbled with each other, they both finally got their gloves off and started throwing punches. Well, Finnerty did whilst I could have sworn at one point Carlson seemed to start cowering. Carlson quickly dropped to his knees on the ice, but just as quickly bounced back up - though I'm not sure whether that was of his own doing or Finnerty dragging him backup. Either way, Finnerty got in several more punches before seemingly stopping as Carlson didn't look like he wanted to fight anymore. The linesmen started to move in only for Carlson to start to throw a punch or two, allowing Finnerty to throw even more punches and get the take-down.
Both players got 5 minutes for fighting, but bizarrely Finnerty got 2+10 for Instigating. Not quite sure how that can be the case. Perhaps I was right and you get 2+10 this season for comfortably winning a fight.

After having made several good reaction saves, Lyle had a clanger. A tame wrist shot from Owen, Lyle seemed to have it covered with his glovehand and went down as if he had saved it, only for the light to go on. Presumably the holes in the ice had spread to his glove.
Devils 0-4 Blaze

Into the final period and the Blaze started to take their foot off the gas a bit and gave a couple of the youngsters some ice time. The second period had been stopped twice due to gaps in the ice by the boards. The third period was stopped for a hole in the ice by the DJ stand which I was told about a week ago. The game was stopped for around 10 minutes whilst he was worked on and I thought the game would be abandonned. But no - the game resumed (and after the game the PI crew solved the problem by putting cones around it for the skating session).

The delay seemed to inject some energy into the Devils players who had looked tired before it. After Sawyer had picked up a hooking penalty, the Blaze won the faceoff, but somehow Finnerty won the puck back and cleared it. Hill chased down the puck and (quite suprisingly) burnt the Blaze players for speed. Skating into the zone he fired a slapshot passed Jaeger and destroying his shutout.
Devils 1-4 Blaze

The Devils 1st line was starting to get some connection and the passing was starting to work. A quick counter attack saw Birbraer burst down the wing into the zone, and his cross-ice pass was picked up by Matzka who danced his way past a couple of Blaze Dmen and slid the puck home to give the scoreline a bit more respectability.
Devils 2-4 Blaze

Cardiff had chances to score a third in the dying minutes but it was not to be.

Overall, the Blaze looked solid, took their chances well and already seemed to have got a good understanding together. Fussey was quiet bar his flappy elbows which caught several Devils in the head without punishment. Smith looked a bit slow at times whilst Jaeger looked solid though the Devils never really made him work. As I said, Chambers was the best player on the ice by a mile and the 'Bison line' looked weeks ahead of everyone else. In fact the Blaze as a whole looked a couple of weeks fitter and more drilled than Cardiff.

For the Devils though there were some positive signs. The Smith brothers looked like they were still jetlagged being the last to arrive, but Sawyer is certainly no donkey on ice. I was worried he would be another Maciver but he appears to be a defenceman before a fighter, showed a couple of good moves and quick turns and even charged up the ice a couple of times.
Tyler looks even better than he did last season. He showed a lot of skill in the first period, before hitting everything in sight in the second, but then tired in the third. Matzka and Pelle both improved during the game and by the end there looked like the start of a connection between them and Birbraer.

More practice sessions needed and the rematch on Wednesday night will be welcome. No need to panic yet though for the Devils fans.

Finny

Tad# said:
As previously stated, you can't look at this too seriously. Blaze were in the same boat on Wednesday - Carlson hadn't touched ice since April! Not going to comment on the Voth v Jaeger incident anymore as it's pointless on here. Would say though, Gerard has got to stop Devils from gooning it up. Goons don't win trophies.
Oh grow up. The Blaze Dman caught Jaeger in the head after trying to check Voth away. IMO there were more highsticks and elbows from the Blaze players than the Devils. And all of them not called.
When were we gooning it up? When our players were sent head first into the boards?

You do realise there is a difference between gooning it up and deservedly beating the crap out of someone?
Plus I'm not sure who the two players missing on D were? Sodapop missed the rest of the game but Weaver was back on the ice only a couple of shifts later.

Gazza272

Tad# said:

But what Should Gerad Adams the coach of the Cardiff Devils do?

Nitra said:
On a seperate issue regarding tonights game, I really enjoyed the new intro with all the fire graphics, etc and the new song played with the players on the screen tapping their sticks along. Anyone know the name of the song? Really got the crowd going I think.
Agree on this one, let the pictures tell the story, good crowd last night, I hope not too many of them recieved a parking ticket for their enjoyment of the game..who would have saw that one coming, council booking Devils fans for not using the carparks :shock: I think moving the away block to block 1 was the biggest mistake ever, block 2 will never be the same again, having the vocal competion sitting on their laps really doesnt work, move it back, I miss the noise boys :( Even the drummers werent they're usual selves...mind you, it's game one, we all got to get back into our rythymn....hope the boys give us something to chant about ;) Lets see what they can give us after all the get lag has left their bodies and get some team gelling down....Come on Red Army lets get behind them :D

steve

We were pretty rubbish, and only managed the 2 goals because the blaze switched off.

Does that really matter...no.

By far more important for me was the fact max and finnerty didn't even have to think about defending their team mates. Awesome.

The on ice stuff will come, at least they've started to gel off ice. I just wish we weren't always on the back foot every year - will 2 games really be enough prep for Belfast next sunday :?

Finny

Puckaholic said:
Agree on this one, let the pictures tell the story, good crowd last night, I hope not too many of them recieved a parking ticket for their enjoyment of the game..who would have saw that one coming, council booking Devils fans for not using the carparks :shock:
Where were they handing out parking tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.