Devils @ Steelers - March 11th - 7:30 pm - Chat & Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazza272

Re: Devils @ Steelers - March 11th - 7:30 pm - Chat & Update

Just remember everyone. It's good when a loss hurts because it means:

1) it hasn't happened that often this year

2) because we all care. Greatly.

3) because that hurt can be channeled into a good old fashioned War on Sunday.

Do you think the Steelers are looking forward to Sunday? I certainly don't think they are.

DevilDom

SteveKing said:
Wow. I knew immediately after the game on Sunday that this game was the perfect setup for a fall but never did I imagine this. I even spoke to Todd and some of the players about it on Sunday night. No excuse, though. That result is embarrassing and unacceptable.

Believe me...I understand the emotion of being disgusted and let down and yes - ESPECIALLY if you devoted the time and money to travel to this game. The feeling that the game meant more to you than it did to the players is appalling and extremely maddening so I get the comments about the team and the coach that a day later you might want to soften a touch.

About the only positive I can concoct here is that this should certainly snap them back down to earth and refocus them on the task at hand. This is a group that cares. They've shown it in spades all season. They care about each other and they care greatly for their fans. I guarantee you that they feel awful for the fans that witnessed that and if they don't, the two most competitive people I've met in Andrew and Todd will make it incredibly clear.

So let's stick with it and let's see how they respond this weekend. These boys have given us way too much good stuff to let this result dampen anything.

And for the record...being an owner definitely does not make you an expert...it just means that our seasons tickets cost a lot more!
I think we have seen the best and the worst of having passionate fans in the last 3 days.

Nothing can take away from Sunday and the huge strides this club has made since July. We have far exceeded most fans wildest expectations and no matter what happens between now and the end of the season it has been a fantastic turnaround.

A reality check - yes, the end of the world - no.

jimmy snels

It would be nice to have a discussion without "our owners are amazing" and "the players have been great all season" .

I love how far we have come but frankly that loss is a disgrace to the shirt and appalling that fans paid up to a hundred pound to witness that garbage. E.D.S has every right to be furious and it's ludicrous people are almost putting him down for being justifiably angry.

I agree with finny as well if our guys hadn't at least tried to show some aggression (marsh clarkson did the right thing all be it far far too late ) there defo would have been complaints.

Have Hope#35

jimmy snels said:
It would be nice to have a discussion without "our owners are amazing" and "the players have been great all season" .

I love how far we have come but frankly that loss is a disgrace to the shirt and appalling that fans paid up to a hundred pound to witness that garbage. E.D.S has every right to be furious and it's ludicrous people are almost putting him down for being justifiably angry.

I agree with finny as well if our guys hadn't at least tried to show some aggression (marsh clarkson did the right thing all be it far far too late ) there defo would have been complaints.
I think E.D.S would have got away with the comments had he not said 'You can stick your Challenge Cup' as the rest of what was said was fair! That's the comment that has created the retaliation from others.

jimmy snels

In his subsequent post he said he was angry and obviously wanted that cup but it continued. EDS is the only one who showed passion for the team IMO the other later posts of "everything is perfect" actually shows less passion not more.

Temme

Have Hope#35 said:
jimmy snels said:

I think E.D.S would have got away with the comments had he not said 'You can stick your Challenge Cup' as the rest of what was said was fair! That's the comment that has created the retaliation from others.

+1

jimmy snels said:
Supporting any team means you witness the great results, the mediocre results and the appalling results. Do you honestly believe the players thought ''Ah sod it, cant be bothered tonight '' ? Bad results happen.

Yes its not good on the fans that have paid their money to watch that last night but they do it to support the team regardless of the result.

I have been on many away trips that have included hotels/flights etc...only for the team to be resoundly beaten, hell, just a home game is 4 1/2 round trip +petrol+addmission fee, but will i be doing it again at the weekend ? Of course i will.

I do understand the frustration and i too am completely bewildered as to what the hell happened last night but its done, hopefully Lordo/Franny and TK will deal with it appropriatley. Move on to the weekend.

jimmy snels

Which is all true. But the point is last night was crap and everyone is entitled to be furious with that.

I would also suggest letting in 7 in the third would yes, the players had given up to an extent.

The morning after the night before brings a more balanced and measured reflection on matters. It still hurts and the result is completely unacceptable, however given where we were last season and subsequent seasons, we have much to be thankfull for.

Those players will be hurting dreadfully this morning and rightly so, but there our team who have given us more than we could ever dream for this season. I said in August I would be delighted with just a top three place in the league...forget about a trophy!! Having witnessed the Devils play this season, I would be dissapointed with third place now. Have to get second!

We now find ourselves in the position Sheffield were on Sunday night, a deeply wounded animal. I expect a reaction from the players on Saturday and especially on Sunday. Sheffield will not be looking forward to that!!!!

Only thing, get ready for ridiculous player bans, as DOPS has displayed a Sheffield bias all season!!

Finny

jimmy snels said:
Which is all true. But the point is last night was crap and everyone is entitled to be furious with that.

I would also suggest letting in 7 in the third would yes, the players had given up to an extent.
Did you watch the game?

DevilDom

jimmy snels said:

4 of the 7 goals in the 3rd period were when Steelers were on the PP, 3 of which were when they were 5 on 3.

I would suggest it was a poor performance and we lost our discipline or tried to send some sort of message (depending on how you see it) rather than gave up.

I'm not saying it was acceptable but Jesus some of the stuff on here is way beyond.

august04

Adams calling for suspensions in his post game interview. What's the bet we'll see 2 game bans dished out so any suspended players miss the game on Sunday, giving the refs an easier night in what could be a potentially explosive affair.

I watched the game on the webcast, and genuinely felt like it was a waste of my time and money. Seeing them lose 11-0 was painful, but some of the other posters are right - goal difference is basically irrelevant, and the embarrassment should make them come back strong on the weekend. I'd back them for a 4 point weekend.

Hangover/bus legs/post CC-slump - whatever the reason, a loss is a loss. It was painful to watch, and I'd rather not see them lose by 11 goals too often, but these things happen. All good team have blips.

It's not the result that I'm particularly concerned about, even though it does damage the chance at winning the league. Personally, it was the approach to the second half of the game...

Once it's clear that the game is lost, I understand the need to 'set the tone' for Sunday, but there has to be some consideration to how that should be done. Granted the Steelers made themselves look stupid by falling around like they'd been shot, but the actions of Hotham and Hudson in particular were ill-thought and overly-emotive.

If we lose 1, 2 or even 3 players for the next few games, all of a sudden last night's game becomes far more significant than it needed to be. It will be the suspensions, and not the one-time drubbing, that will make the difference if the Devils lose the league and, in my opinion, they were completely avoidable.

The players lets egos get in the way, and Lord didn't control his squad. He would have been better taking the loss on the chin, roasting the players in training, and setting the tone on Sunday by coming out hard, hitting everything in sight and reminding the Steelers what it's like to play in the BBT.

jimmy snels

Finny said:
jimmy snels said:

Did you watch the game?
I've said i didn't finny (which is why your saying this) I'm glad i stuck to mnl to be honest. Does it mean 7 goals in a period in front of traveling fans ok or just im not allowed an opinion? After watching every man give 100% all season and throw themselves in front of pucks I'd say to conceed 7 in that final period WOULD SUGGEST that they had given up TO AN EXTENT. Your so quick to shoot anyone with a mildly negative view down. But wait, last season if anyone said anything positive you were all over them.

jimmy snels

TommyDevil13 said:
I watched the game on the webcast, and genuinely felt like it was a waste of my time and money. Seeing them lose 11-0 was painful, but some of the other posters are right - goal difference is basically irrelevant, and the embarrassment should make them come back strong on the weekend. I'd back them for a 4 point weekend.

Hangover/bus legs/post CC-slump - whatever the reason, a loss is a loss. It was painful to watch, and I'd rather not see them lose by 11 goals too often, but these things happen. All good team have blips.

It's not the result that I'm particularly concerned about, even though it does damage the chance at winning the league. Personally, it was the approach to the second half of the game...

Once it's clear that the game is lost, I understand the need to 'set the tone' for Sunday, but there has to be some consideration to how that should be done. Granted the Steelers made themselves look stupid by falling around like they'd been shot, but the actions of Hotham and Hudson in particular were ill-thought and overly-emotive.

If we lose 1, 2 or even 3 players for the next few games, all of a sudden last night's game becomes far more significant than it needed to be. It will be the suspensions, and not the one-time drubbing, that will make the difference if the Devils lose the league and, in my opinion, they were completely avoidable.

The players lets egos get in the way, and Lord didn't control his squad. He would have been better taking the loss on the chin, roasting the players in training, and setting the tone on Sunday by coming out hard, hitting everything in sight and reminding the Steelers what it's like to play in the BBT.
+1

Have Hope#35

TommyDevil13 said:

Agree with almost all of this but Hudson actually did 'nothing' for my money! Eddy skated around the back of him, intentionally clipped the end of Hudson's stick and then threw himself 20-30 foot across the ice... It was comical!
Hotham did what Venus did to Walton in the home leg of the CC QF... Walton reacted by punching Venus after his goal, Forney reacted by diving like a European Footballer!

Temme

Jimmy we agree on most things and this is probably no different, i'm sure i'd have felt just as bad if i'd watched MNL or even worse - the webcast, i'm glad i was busy :lol:

I'd take the cup & a 11-0 loss today if it was offered to me on Sunday, trying hard not to change that mindset just because we were all on cloud 9 after the cup win!

Are we actually likely to get bans or is Steeltalk being dramatic?

DevilDom

Temme said:
Are we actually likely to get bans or is Steeltalk being dramatic?
I think the only person who may get a ban is Clarkson and that would IMO be marginal. But personally nothing else I saw (and I did sit through the webcast) was that bad.

Marsh - Instigated fight after late check to the head / neck area from Sarich
Clarkson - Chased Thomas around and tried to make him fight but didn't really throw any punches
Hotham - slash on the shins of Forney after he scored (who then dives) but nothing you don't see week in week out at games
Hudson - didn't see the incident but apparently Eddy skated into his stick and then also dived.

Would be really surprised if there were any major bans coming from it - can see Dougie getting 1 or 2 games though. Very disappointed with G calling for bans as well - it didn't take him long to develop the steelers mentality. It must be the pressure he is under up there.

I would take the 6 points on offer against the steelers rather than have won the cc against them , at the end of the day the Cardiff devils players are professional sportsmen and there is no excuse for the 11 - 0 loss !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.