Devils @ Steelers - March 11th - 7:30 pm - Chat & Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temme

Re: Devils @ Steelers - March 11th - 7:30 pm - Chat & Update

darz said:
I would take the 6 points on offer against the steelers rather than have won the cc against them , at the end of the day the Cardiff devils players are professional sportsmen and there is no excuse for the 11 - 0 loss !!!!
Ahh all 6 points is another thing altogether, i'd rather us have won ALL 6 of the last games to win the league than win the cup, but taking it game by game, if we had to have a win and a loss, i'm glad it came in the order that it did.

Have Hope#35

Temme said:
darz said:
I would take the 6 points on offer against the steelers rather than have won the cc against them , at the end of the day the Cardiff devils players are professional sportsmen and there is no excuse for the 11 - 0 loss !!!!
Ahh all 6 points is another thing altogether, i'd rather us have won ALL 6 of the last games to win the league than win the cup, but taking it game by game, if we had to have a win and a loss, i'm glad it came in the order that it did.
Always fancied us to lose at least one of the 4 Games against Sheffield, especially with 3 of them being away! I'm glad it wasn't the Challenge Cup and I expected the loss to be a hard fought and tight game... Which it wasn't! However a loss is a loss and hopefully it re-lights the fire under the players arses ready for this weekend... Winning the remainder of the games is still just as important as it was before yesterdays game (even if Braehead don't slip up again, which I think they may).

DOPES need to take action against these divers before they take our sport in the same direction of football, football was far more entertaining when the hardmen were allowed to play, no characters like Norman Hunter, Tommy Smith, Chopper Harris etc any more, just a bunch of highly paid pussies

The only reason I started watching Hockey is because football went that way and rugby to a certain extent had started to follow

Out of all the penalties I can see Hotham's being looked at by DOPS, seemed quite a nasty slash from the away block, whether it was or not is yet to be seen, but still no need for it all the same.

Really disappointed that we lost obviously and to sit through it wasn't very pleasant, but pre-game I could see it coming following on from last Sunday. Just a shame that the lads didn't really turn up and make a game of it.

As for the last ten minutes, we spent most of it killing 5 on 3 and hence the Steelers scored so much, inevitably, but I was pleased that the Devils weren't going to just go out with a whimper and at least roughed them up a little bit before the end.

Can imagine Sunday will be a really physical Devils display. :RAWK

Have Hope#35

Aberdare_Devil said:
Out of all the penalties I can see Hotham's being looked at by DOPS, seemed quite a nasty slash from the away block, whether it was or not is yet to be seen, but still no need for it all the same.

Really disappointed that we lost obviously and to sit through it wasn't very pleasant, but pre-game I could see it coming following on from last Sunday. Just a shame that the lads didn't really turn up and make a game of it.

As for the last ten minutes, we spent most of it killing 5 on 3 and hence the Steelers scored so much, inevitably, but I was pleased that the Devils weren't going to just go out with a whimper and at least roughed them up a little bit before the end.

Can imagine Sunday will be a really physical Devils display. :RAWK
For me Hotham's slash was no worse than Venus' on Walton in the CC QF and Venus never even got called! Venus slashes Walton's knee 5mins 25secs into these Highlights: https://vimeo.com/120728683

I'll repeat what I said on MNL there was a total lack of a game plan for this game.

It needed a totally defensive stance, the Devils have proved that they can defend a narrow lead (deficit in this instance).

Continually ice the puck if necessary, we beat the Russians doing that.

Furthermore we are more than capable of winning a major share of face offs in our zone.

To capitulate as they did tarnishes the achievements of this season.

OJ

Nott Simpson said:
I'll repeat what I said on MNL there was a total lack of a game plan for this game.

It needed a totally defensive stance, the Devils have proved that they can defend a narrow lead (deficit in this instance).

Furthermore we are more than capable of winning a major share of face offs in our zone.

OJ
I somewhat agree with you OJ. Last Sunday we were looking at possibly being 6 games away from trophy 2 and 3, with momentum going into the playoffs. Now realistically one of those two have gone, with the conference title possibly still being within our grasp. It was hard for me to find any positives to text in to you at MNL to be honest, from the first minute we just didn't seem to have any idea unfortunately.

Gospel

Nott Simpson said:

OJ

+1

I can accept a loss to any team however the manner of the loss on this occasion hurts more than anything else. There should be no reason whatsoever that this Devils team should lose 11-0 to any team in this league, but we have.

Finny

jimmy snels said:
Finny said:
jimmy snels said:
Which is all true. But the point is last night was crap and everyone is entitled to be furious with that.

I would also suggest letting in 7 in the third would yes, the players had given up to an extent.
Did you watch the game?
I've said i didn't finny (which is why your saying this) I'm glad i stuck to mnl to be honest. Does it mean 7 goals in a period in front of traveling fans ok or just im not allowed an opinion? After watching every man give 100% all season and throw themselves in front of pucks I'd say to conceed 7 in that final period WOULD SUGGEST that they had given up TO AN EXTENT. Your so quick to shoot anyone with a mildly negative view down. But wait, last season if anyone said anything positive you were all over them.
I asked because you wrote that 'the players had given up to an extent'.
From what I saw of the game that wasn't the case.

First period Sheffield came out and had much the better of the game. But their first came from a blatant icing that wasn't called and their second was a poor line change from us that they exploited.
Second period seemed to be us dominating, but unable to get the breakthrough. Sheffield twice hit us on the break and scored against the run of play.
Third period we seemed to still believe we had a chance and the effort was there, and had the puck hit the post and gone in at 4-0 who knows. But they then scored 3 quick goals on the counter-attack and it was game over. Until this point we had actually heavily outshot the Steelers, but playing most of the last 5 minutes killing 5-on-3 penalties clearly hurt us.

We weren't at our clinical best and did make quite a few mistakes, especially passes, but from what I saw (and I didn't watch it all) the effort was there if not the execution.

Finny said:
I asked because you wrote that 'the players had given up to an extent'.
From what I saw of the game that wasn't the case.

First period Sheffield came out and had much the better of the game. But their first came from a blatant icing that wasn't called and their second was a poor line change from us that they exploited.
Second period seemed to be us dominating, but unable to get the breakthrough. Sheffield twice hit us on the break and scored against the run of play.
Third period we seemed to still believe we had a chance and the effort was there, and had the puck hit the post and gone in at 4-0 who knows. But they then scored 3 quick goals on the counter-attack and it was game over. Until this point we had actually heavily outshot the Steelers, but playing most of the last 5 minutes killing 5-on-3 penalties clearly hurt us.

We weren't at our clinical best and did make quite a few mistakes, especially passes, but from what I saw (and I didn't watch it all) the effort was there if not the execution.

I don't know what game you were watching to say we "heavily outshot them", we led by 3 shots after one, and were actually trailing after the second.. We didn't turn up last night, it wasn't a case of bad luck.

Finny

DevilDom said:
Temme said:
Are we actually likely to get bans or is Steeltalk being dramatic?
I think the only person who may get a ban is Clarkson and that would IMO be marginal. But personally nothing else I saw (and I did sit through the webcast) was that bad.

Marsh - Instigated fight after late check to the head / neck area from Sarich
Clarkson - Chased Thomas around and tried to make him fight but didn't really throw any punches
Hotham - slash on the shins of Forney after he scored (who then dives) but nothing you don't see week in week out at games
Hudson - didn't see the incident but apparently Eddy skated into his stick and then also dived.

Would be really surprised if there were any major bans coming from it - can see Dougie getting 1 or 2 games though. Very disappointed with G calling for bans as well - it didn't take him long to develop the steelers mentality. It must be the pressure he is under up there.
I too thought the check was late and to the head. Could easily see Sarich get a ban if he played for anyone else. Can't see Marsh get a band as he only got 5+2+10 plus the linesman were happy to let them carry on without jumping in.
Clarkson went after Thomas after an awful cross-check/butt-ending to the back of Myers' head. Nothing else seemed to be caught on camera but again the linesmen didn't jump in and Thomas was never defenceless. As soon as they hit the ice he stopped punching him. Can't work out what Clarkson could get for that - Thomas could be in big trouble though.
Hotham's slash was silly but didn't deserve the dive it got from Forney. I have a feeling though DoPS will jump on it and ban him as there was no intent to play the puck.
Hudson is the one I worry about. At first it looked like he is just standing there and Eddy intentionally skates into his stick and then dives to make it look like a spear. On the replay though, you can see movement from Hudson with his stick but it's whether its movement into Eddy intentionally or a reaction to being skated into. Could well go down to DoPS interpretation which is only going to be bad for us based on previous form.

Finny

Aberdare_Devil said:
I don't know what game you were watching to say we "heavily outshot them", we led by 3 shots after one, and were actually trailing after the second.. We didn't turn up last night, it wasn't a case of bad luck.
I've just realised the stats I were looking at were just shots that were saved and don't include shots that went in.

However, after 2 periods the shots were:

On Unice: 19 shots
On Bowns & Will: 16 shots.

So we did outshoot them but not by as much as I first thought. And we did IMO seem to be outshooting them at the start of the 3rd too.

In the DoPS system do they talk to coaches or players involved or do they just review video tape?

Has anyone heard what it was that had Andrew Lord so mad that he was yelling at the other team's bench or coach? I know there was some showboating, some incidents that led to the first 2 scuffles and use of the top players with the score already one -sided but I was curious about what got him so upset.

mazza03

I am sadly losing my respect for G he is now a sqeeler through and through, when I think of the times when he would never call for a review (when he was our coach) it sickens me. sad day for me. :cry:

Finny

backrow said:
In the DoPS system do they talk to coaches or players involved or do they just review video tape?

Has anyone heard what it was that had Andrew Lord so mad that he was yelling at the other team's bench or coach? I know there was some showboating, some incidents that led to the first 2 scuffles and use of the top players with the score already one -sided but I was curious about what got him so upset.
I think it was the dive from Forney after the slash from Hotham. Sheffield were quite happy to dish it out but when we started doing it to them they started hitting the ground like they had been taken out by a sniper.

KaneDevils

Voth26.

I will post when I want on what threads I choose too. Don't like it? Tough.
As has been posted already, to vent such anger shows we care and that were passionate. I'd be more worried if that wasn't the case.
Unacceptable score line, unacceptable performance, let's move on! :RAWK

KaneDevils

I remember lots of fans on here going ballistic when the clan capitulated against the steelers, during "that season". But when others go mad when we do the same, their "over reacting"

How does that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.