Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2016/17

terry hunt

I think you guys will have to stop doing all this research and recommending players to sign.

I am beginning to wonder if some coaches are reading this forum to get ideas.

After the Clan signed Rosehill i wondered from Finnerty's comments that he wasnt sure what he

was going to do with him.

A case of if the Devils are looking at a player he must be good.

Ocko

Layne Ulmer is a great signing. I can't remember any team in EIHL history with this much scoring. I really couldn't predict who will fill what role in the top 3 lines out siblings are that good.

Unless there is an ace up Lord's sleeve in terms of an enforcer with an EU stamp then it looks like this is it for toughness. With teams loading up on tough guys it's a risk having our only two heavyweights on D. The likes of Fitzgerald, Rosehill and Neilson will be looking for a scrap every night. It's easier said than done not rising to it, especially when we have so many skilled players who could be cheapshotted. Unless Lord is returning to his former role as a checking tough player or Batch and Culligan are swapping positions?

Have Hope#35

Ocko said:
Layne Ulmer is a great signing. I can't remember any team in EIHL history with this much scoring. I really couldn't predict who will fill what role in the top 3 lines out siblings are that good.

Unless there is an ace up Lord's sleeve in terms of an enforcer with an EU stamp then it looks like this is it for toughness. With teams loading up on tough guys it's a risk having our only two heavyweights on D. The likes of Fitzgerald, Rosehill and Neilson will be looking for a scrap every night. It's easier said than done not rising to it, especially when we have so many skilled players who could be cheapshotted. Unless Lord is returning to his former role as a checking tough player or Batch and Culligan are swapping positions?
You raise a good point... The main reason for deliberately wanting to start a Fight is if someone is taking liberties with our smaller Forwards! Batch and Mark Louis have both played as a Winger in the past, albeit only briefly... If there's something we don't like going on in a game then there's nothing to stop us from chucking either of these guys up top for a shift so they can sort out the player in question!

As for Lord, with the scoring depth we have up top I can see him playing on a Forechecking line with Haddad and maybe Myers as our Top 6 will likely be Martin, Asselin, Bentivoglio, Ulmer, Doucet and Culli or the Final Import.

Finny

Ocko said:
I really couldn't predict who will fill what role in the top 3 lines out siblings are that good.
Glad it's not just me having that problem. Usually it fits together quite nicely by now - but this year it seems quite flexible.

Jonesy83

I've been thinking to myself for a bit that we could swap either Batch or Louis to the wing and have Culligan fill in on D. Same applies if either of those 2 are sitting in the box. Even tho I was and still am hoping for that big tough power forward player.

Also what happened to the guess the last 2 players and win a signed jersey?

I see the Devils roster as an indication that we're going to play a "Pittsburgh"-type game. Speed, skill, lots of scoring and a seriously sharp power play. Lord has mentioned the Pens in a number of his interviews, and how the NHL game is changing.

Whilst all the other teams are hiring enforcers, we are hiring proven scorers and playmakers, plus some big bodies who can protect/play/chip in.

I see Batch, Lord and Louis "handling" the other teams' big boys, but not in a proactive way. Defusing situations, and possibly taking them to the box so that our boys can play.

I also think that there will be a lot of suspensions between Fityz, Nickerson, Neilson, Rosehill, Hendo et al, as the first month of the season will be an "Alpha male"-fest. And perhaps this may work in our favour as we match up more favourably with them out of the way.

I believe this is the way we're going to approach the season, and whilst yes, I'm concerned we could get bombed off the ice, I think an experienced Captain will be hugely important to communicate with the stripes and that once the league settles down via suspensions/injuries, we'll be in very nice shape.

Another seriously good signing, hope the budgets ok there Mr King. Ready made chemistry with Bentivoglio and tonnes of experience and scoring. Loved his demeanour on the interview with ice time tv, assured, focused and very confident. A 2-way centre with good +\- figures in the AHL

Last slot will be interesting but again the challenge for Team Lordo will be to get all this talent into settled lines as soon as possible, but what a problem to have

Anybody else can't wait for Zagreb to roll into town??

LETS GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!

Ocko s point about Batch and Culligan swapping positions is a good one. Both Batch and Louis can play wing, so while I don't see that as a regular solution, the fact that Lord has continually mentiobed Cully as a defensive option throughout the summer makes this a viable option if and when required.

pjj365

Bails77 said:
Another seriously good signing, hope the budgets ok there Mr King. Ready made chemistry with Bentivoglio and tonnes of experience and scoring. Loved his demeanour on the interview with ice time tv, assured, focused and very confident. A 2-way centre with good +\- figures in the AHL

Last slot will be interesting but again the challenge for Team Lordo will be to get all this talent into settled lines as soon as possible, but what a problem to have

Anybody else can't wait for Zagreb to roll into town??

LETS GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!
I was puzzled as in the interview he did not seem to smile but then he talked about winning and the smiles came. That's the spirit to show us on day 1

bb1

MattHuskie said:
Ocko s point about Batch and Culligan swapping positions is a good one. Both Batch and Louis can play wing, so while I don't see that as a regular solution, the fact that Lord has continually mentiobed Cully as a defensive option throughout the summer makes this a viable option if and when required.
Batch for me struggles as a forward. It showed that in CC final. He's a D man through and through

SteveKing

Huge signing for us in my mind. In Martin, Doucet, Asselin, Bentivoglio and Ulmer we have five players that have been at or near their respective league lead in points or goals. Unprecedented. That still leaves us Mo, Haddad, Myers, Lord and even Culligan who all have the ability to score.

After that paragraph, everyone on here will get back to saying "but what about toughness!!!". So I will reiterate that it is not lost on us. Certainly Batch and Louis would both be within the top 10 in the league for toughness but I would still expect an addition on that front. Many excellent targets remain.

Exciting times!!!

Have Hope#35

SteveKing said:
Huge signing for us in my mind. In Martin, Doucet, Asselin, Bentivoglio and Ulmer we have five players that have been at or near their respective league lead in points or goals. Unprecedented. That still leaves us Mo, Haddad, Myers, Lord and even Culligan who all have the ability to score.

After that paragraph, everyone on here will get back to saying "but what about toughness!!!". So I will reiterate that it is not lost on us. Certainly Batch and Louis would both be within the top 10 in the league for toughness but I would still expect an addition on that front. Many excellent targets remain.

Exciting times!!!
I think Ulmer is a fantastic Signing, in fact other teams fans have said he is the best signing by any team in the off-season!
From Nottingham's Forum:
4 hours ago Pidge said:
For me Layne Ulmer is THE signing of the summer. That Devils offence is dangerous.
For once you're right there Pidge.
That's a top signing, I was hoping he was Panthers bound.
It was confirmed at the Fan event that we wouldn't be carrying a Spare Import (which I'd personally be fine with), does that mean that there is just the one EU Import Signing left to go for?

Ben Bowns is over here in Calgary, working on his goaltending details, and looks sharp. Our defence looks mobile and skilled, as do our forwards. Andrew and Todd have looked at tape and had interviews with a lot a real quality players this off season to assemble the team we have.
Character and a team first mentality are top of the list with Lordo and i cant wait to see this team play!! We had big shoes to fill on our roster ( Wally may have had small feet, but came to play big every day) and I think the Devils will be a strong team in a great league.
We have some great new signings, and awesome returning MVPs (best goalie, defenceman and player). Its time to start getting excited about the new season!!

drainage

BrianParker said:
Ben Bowns is over here in Calgary, working on his goaltending details, and looks sharp. Our defence looks mobile and skilled, as do our forwards. Andrew and Todd have looked at tape and had interviews with a lot a real quality players this off season to assemble the team we have.
Character and a team first mentality are top of the list with Lordo and i cant wait to see this team play!! We had big shoes to fill on our roster ( Wally may have had small feet, but came to play big every day) and I think the Devils will be a strong team in a great league.
We have some great new signings, and awesome returning MVPs (best goalie, defenceman and player). Its time to start getting excited about the new season!!
Time to get excited ? I have been excited since Apr 18th ...... I took a week off after play offs to chill!

Mooney#16

Lord - Martin - Asselin
Bentivoglio - Ulmer - Morrisette
Haddad - Culligan - Doucet
Jones - Myers - ????

I don't want Lordo on the top line personally as he'd see to many minutes for my liking but it fits. The change I might make would be swapping Haddad and Lordo but that could mess up two lines potentially with the proven chemistry of Culli and Haddad and Martin and Lordo. Morrisette seems to fit in seamlessly with any line so putting him with Benti and Ulmer looks good. Just a big crazy fore checking loon for Myers and CJ to feed of and job done. Doucet on the third line is insane though. With line matching against the no three D pairing Doucet could quite easily hit 40 goals. Good times.

Finny

I'm thinking Myers will be 3rd line centre with Culligan on the 4th as his flexibility means he can fill in for players in the bin or injured.

I also reckon the left wing-centre combinations are easier to predict than the whole line:
Asselin-Martin- ?
Bentivoglio-Ulmer- ?
Haddad-Myers-?

In his interview, Beni said he passes too much instead of shooting. So I'd be tempted to put Doucet on that line. Lord could go on that 3rd line for an all-out checking line. Or if Asselin isn't that physical he could go with him and Martin with Morissette next to Myers.

Or then again maybe we want our three big goalscorers (Doucet, Asselin, Ulmer) on a line each....... oh my head hurts...

Mooney#16

The way I look at it your basic line make up needs a puck carry zone entry guy. A down low puck retrieval and retention guy and a slot hugging sniper.

Puck carriers are Martin, Bentivoglio and Culligan. Possibly even CJ
Down low guys Lordo, Haddad, Morrisette and Myers
Snipers Ulmer, Asselin and Doucet.

Matching those guys from each style into known chemistry then gives you a clue as to the lines and what you need from the last signing. A physical guy for your fourth checking line but also who can put the biscuit away if they get the chance.

Can't stop looking at Layne Ulmer's numbers on eliteprospects. They are consistently out of this world :eek: How he didn't get another shot at the NHL after three back to back stellar seasons in the AHL is a mystery!! I think Asselin is going to be a surprise also :p

Think it's going to be special!!

Ger-Devils

Devil May Care said:
Can't stop looking at Layne Ulmer's numbers on eliteprospects. They are consistently out of this world :eek: How he didn't get another shot at the NHL after three back to back stellar seasons in the AHL is a mystery!! I think Asselin is going to be a surprise also :p

Think it's going to be special!!
It's a weird one really as he wasn't even close to the vet age at all.
GP358 Pts 445 including playoffs in Italy- Unreal.
He's no slouch playing over 300 games in the AHL either.

Huge signing for us and one I look forward to watching and tearing teams apart!