Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2016/17

Finny

Awww. I just found us a player with initials AA. Monster of a player. Dual-Nat AND he's an ex-Calgary Flame!!!

Way out of our price range though!

Spoilsport Steve. :(

jimmy snels

DevilDom said:
:lol: I was wondering why people thought it was a clue as to the next signing!

I think the roster is absolutely stacked with skill and goals and looks very exciting. Personally with Louis and Batch and back up from a few others when needed we have enough toughness especially with a full season on the larger ice pad meaning skill and pace are a much more important commodity this year. I do think a lot of Devils fans will need a to accept a change in the type of hockey we play at home now and a move away from teams that are built around making it uncomfortable for others to play to being a team that is doing most of the play.
I genuinely think casual fans want to see in the most part a bit of crash and bang. Its not about season ticket holders we're here in the most part and will accept a degree of change (i would HATE IT MIND ). Casuals and newbies though you need to HOOK em

ASHIPP

Think folks are reading every little nuance into Steve's words to find a clue! Give the guy a break and let him get back to grappling with crocodiles in South America!

It will be worth the wait to get the right player to fit the right role

DevilDom

jimmy snels said:
DevilDom said:
:lol: I was wondering why people thought it was a clue as to the next signing!

I think the roster is absolutely stacked with skill and goals and looks very exciting. Personally with Louis and Batch and back up from a few others when needed we have enough toughness especially with a full season on the larger ice pad meaning skill and pace are a much more important commodity this year. I do think a lot of Devils fans will need a to accept a change in the type of hockey we play at home now and a move away from teams that are built around making it uncomfortable for others to play to being a team that is doing most of the play.
I genuinely think casual fans want to see in the most part a bit of crash and bang. Its not about season ticket holders we're here in the most part and will accept a degree of change (i would HATE IT MIND ). Casuals and newbies though you need to HOOK em
I love the physical part of the game as much as the next man, and would hate to see it disappear completely however I think we will have to change it slightly to be successful.

Electro

Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2016/17

SteveKing said:
OK folks. I'm just boarding a plane to Peru with the family so I'm going to be out of contact for the next couple of weeks. I know you guys love clues and are anxious for more toughness. So my parting advice is to be patient and trust us on this. This team is going to be deep and talented with people in the right roles throughout the lineup. A couple of things are still being worked through but just remember my advice as I'm wrestling Anacondas in the Amazon!

Can't wait to get back and watch those first few games.
Buen viaje majo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DevilDom said:
Agreed, I think we'll be fine on that front. If anyone takes liberties, we've got players who will step up, and a shift to an emphasis on attack and scoring can't be a bad thing.

Cannot wait to see the first games, just gutted I'll be away for most of the pre-season friendlies!

wildthing74

Agree with Dom I would much rather see a team that has depth on every line and potential that all 3-4 lines have offensive threat with a few guys that can handle the rough stuff only when needed.As said we will see a new style of hockey in IAW and speed and skill will be key.

This myth that we have always had tough teams is simply not factual and some fans have developed a fascination with us signing one dimensional players.We have always had a tough guy yes since the early days but they could play first.Maybe this crash and bang hockey was a way to fill seats in the unfit for purpose BBT.I don't recall any roster prior to the move there being overly tough?

In any sport put a skilful winning team out there and fans will come.There are more ways to be entertained and we need only look at the direction the NHL has gone in.I'm prettty sure all the old purists in North America bemoaning the lack of tough guys in the league but funny how the fans still pack out the rinks every game.

Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast said:
This is a great video and a chance to see 3 of our new players. Loads of great goals from number 18 Layne Ulmer, 19 Sean Bentivoglio and even some assists from a very offensive looking Scott Hotham wearing 24. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbS3E4IC-Ps
Its interesting in this video to see the different style of play. Ulmer seems happy to stand right in the slot like Voth used to. Bentivoglio is like a wasp that buzzes around everywhere and then pops up from nowhere and scores. Both score some beautiful goals. Im really excited about these two players.

There is also an instance where you see Scott Hotham right in front of the goal and think what the hell is a D man doing there but he almost scores and someone else gets the rebound. Sound familiar? Must be a genetic trait. :D Its going to be a fun season.

No disrespect to Hervato, but this feels like a massive improvement - 300+ AHL games under his belt, and a short stint in the show.

I know a lot of people will be disappointed that we've not signed a genuine tough guy, but I would question whether that is because they honestly feel that the team needed one, or whether they just enjoy that side of hockey.

I'm the first to admit that I enjoy seeing the tough guys hitting everything that moves, dropping the gloves and get the crowd pumped up, but does the team need it on the big ice - probably not. There are enough willing combatants who will step up when needed, and the team we have assembled will be very difficult to contain - so much offensive talent! Is it the end of the world if Lord, Hotham, Louis or Batch loses a fight in response to a Fitzgerald cheap shot on a skill player? Not if that cheap shot came when we were 4 goals up!

I think an enforcer is more for the fans than the team really.

James

Administrator
Rempel16 said:
Good signing.... Interesting that they said on the press release 'latest' forward signing, as opposed to 'final' forward signing.
Lord says in his interview with JD that another signing isn't totally off the table.

Electro

Re: Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2016/17

You don't win games having guys in the bin or the bar. The Devils history proves that, as does the current team.

I prefer other teams to bring the goon squad, used to love watching Lawless run rings around tough teams. The faces of all those over excited macho (not enough to play though) fans screaming abuse was always a delight at the end of the night.

The on ice team is certainly an improvement and more than capable. The rest, we shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finny

When people suggested earlier in the week we might be after David Brine I thought they were deluded. Hervato was a young guy who only played 3 games in the ECHL, played a year in the second division of French hockey before joining Hull. A great worker but would have surely have been one of the cheapest players on the team.

We've replaced him with an experienced guy who has been Captain of several of his teams, including the Croatian national team. Played over 300 games in the AHL and 9 in the NHL before playing in some of the top leagues in Europe. It's ridiculous.

I'm sure some people will be disappointed he's not a physical player - but when someone of this calibre with an EU passport becomes available it's too good an opportunity to turn down. It also sounds like we're still talking to some players and possibly waiting for ECHL and AHL camps to release players before picking someone else up. I'm sure if we do get bullied in the opening couple of weeks of the season then Lord and co will act.

bdevil

Brine is an upgrade on Kurka let alone Hervato. No disrespect meant to Kurka and Hervato in the slightest but Brine's experience, f/o ability, and all round 2 way play is going to be invaluable.

This is going to be one exciting team to watch, and by excitement I mean pucks hitting net rather than gloves hitting ice.

Finny

I know it's only very brief highlights, but my instant thought was that we've finally found our replacement for Stuart MacRae.

bdevil

With Brine, Ulmer and Myers we are going two qualities we were seriously lacking last season.. Face off wins and big presence in front.

This is an immense signing and I am over the moon with it. We have an ex-NHLer on probably the third line :eek: . As others have pointed out, he wins his face offs and takes pride in his defensive duties, and for a big body that is a major asset. However, his point production is not shabby either. This Devils side looks awesome and I think we have put together a team which has taken the league by surprise!! :D