Cardiff Devils Confirmed Signings & Departures 2016/17

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #1

As we are now officially in the off season.. here we go with the Devils Confirmed signings and departures thread 2016/17 season.

Key words "Confirmed"; "signings" and "departures" if its not one of those.. it doesn't live here.

Confirmed signings only here so no "heard it from a mate who knows a guys who's sister said" stuff here please post those shenanigans here

For signings for all the other teams, use the thread here

Coaching Staff
Andrew Lord - 3rd year of contract - Confirmed

Netminders
Ben Bowns (B) - Re-signed - Confirmed
Thomas Murdy (B) - From Telford Tigers (EPL) - Confirmed

Defence
Mark Richardson (B) - Re-signed - Confirmed
Josh Batch (B) - Re-signed - Confirmed
Callum Buglass (B) - On a 2-way from Swindon Wildcats (EPL) - Confirmed
Gleason Fournier (I) - 2nd year of contract - Confirmed & Confirmed
Andrew Hotham (I) - Re-signed - Confirmed
Scott Hotham (I) - from Storhamer (Norway) - Confirmed
Mark Louis (I) - From Orlando Solar Bears (ECHL) - Confirmed

Forwards
Chris Jones (B) - Re-signed - Confirmed
Luke Piggott (B) - Re-signed - Confirmed
Matthew Myers (B) - From Nottingham Panthers (EIHL) - Confirmed
Guilluame Doucet (I) - 2nd year of contract - Confirmed & Confirmed
Andrew Lord (I) - 3rd year of contract - Confirmed
Joey Martin (I) - Re-signed - Confirmed
Jake Morissette (I) - Re-signed - Confirmed
Chris Culligan (I) - Re-signed - Confirmed
Joey Haddad (I) - Re-signed - Confirmed
Patrick Asselin (I E) - From SonderjyskE (Denmark) - Confirmed
Sean Bentivoglio (I E) - From Asiago (Italy) - Confirmed
Layne Ulmer (I) - From Asiago (Italy) - Confirmed
David Brine (I E) - From Löwen Frankfurt (DEL2) - Confirmed
Patrick Bordeleau (I) - From San Antonio Rampage (AHL) - Confirmed

Departures
Brent Walton (I) - Retired - Confirmed
Tyson Marsh (I) - Retired - Confirmed
Leigh Salters (I) - Retired - Confirmed
Carl Hudson (I) - To Chamonix-Morzine (France) - Confirmed
Mike Will (B) - To Guildford Flames (EPL) - Confirmed
Zach Hervato (I E) - Retired - Confirmed
Trevor Hendrikx (I) - To Braehead Clan (EIHL) - Confirmed
Ryan Russell (I) - Retired - Confirmed
Mark Smith (I) - To Swindon Wildcats (EPL) - Confirmed
Tomas Kurka (I E) - To Rostock Pirates (Germany3) - Confirmed

(B) - Brit
(I)- Import
(E) - EU Passport

Leigh Salters retires
My Goodbye,

I want to start by saying thank you...to the fans of each organization I have ever had the pleasure of lacing them up in front of between my junior career and professional career. I can honestly say that I have been truly blessed to play in front of some of the most passionate and loyal fans around and made it much more enjoyable to play the game that I love. I will miss you.

Secondly, I want to say thank you to the Guelph Storm and London Knights who have not just helped me develop into a hockey player but help shape who I am today off the ice. I am honoured to have spent my junior career with the two best organizations in the world.

To the Syracuse Crunch, Florida Everblades, Nottingham Panthers, Braehead Clan and Cardiff Devils organizations it was an honour to wear your jersey, Each and every organization is a class act and have made me feel at home wherever I was .
Lastly to my teammates ... You're the reason I play the game. When I look back, it's not going to be the game that I miss as much as it is being able to go into battle with you guys night after night. If it was only just one game or even a few years of playing together, it was an honour. I have been able to make some incredible friendships and that's what I am going to walk away with remembering most .

Thank you.

Sheincar

Chevy said:
Leigh Salters retires
From his FB post:
My Goodbye,

I want to start by saying thank you...to the fans of each organization I have ever had the pleasure of lacing them up in front of between my junior career and professional career. I can honestly say that I have been truly blessed to play in front of some of the most passionate and loyal fans around and made it much more enjoyable to play the game that I love. I will miss you.

Secondly, I want to say thank you to the Guelph Storm and London Knights who have not just helped me develop into a hockey player but help shape who I am today off the ice. I am honoured to have spent my junior career with the two best organizations in the world.

To the Syracuse Crunch, Florida Everblades, Nottingham Panthers, Braehead Clan and Cardiff Devils organizations it was an honour to wear your jersey, Each and every organization is a class act and have made me feel at home wherever I was .
Lastly to my teammates ... You're the reason I play the game. When I look back, it's not going to be the game that I miss as much as it is being able to go into battle with you guys night after night. If it was only just one game or even a few years of playing together, it was an honour. I have been able to make some incredible friendships and that's what I am going to walk away with remembering most .

Thank you.

Milky

Really gutted Salters has retired at such a young age.

Given his age it must be injury related. Feel really sorry for him. Guess we only saw the best of him in patches.

On his day unplayable but must have been severely hampered most of the season.

Good luck in the future Leigh.

BostonBart22

Wannabe2 said:
Salters retirement is certainly injury related,
yeah he was carrying an injury in his last days at clan before coming to the devils , shame the devils fans didnt see the real salters the way he played for panthers, sad to see a player retire at that age though . good luck for the future salts.

DevilDom

BostonBart22 said:
Wannabe2 said:
yeah he was carrying an injury in his last days at clan before coming to the devils , shame the devils fans didnt see the real salters the way he played for panthers, sad to see a player retire at that age though . good luck for the future salts.
makes you wonder why we signed him in the first place as he must have been injured most of the season with us given his poor form in all but a handful of games.

DevilDom said:
BostonBart22 said:
Wannabe2 said:
makes you wonder why we signed him in the first place as he must have been injured most of the season with us given his poor form in all but a handful of games.
Unfortunately Leigh has tendonitis which obviously has got worse through the season. But I wish him the very best.

Big signing, would've thought that all the big teams in the elite league made him an offer, as well as several from abroad? The fact he's staying says a lot about the club and the player. Welcome back joey.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Superb news that the "Great 88" is coming back for another year, well happy about that!!

Also good luck to Leigh Salters for the future, it just makes you think how bad his knees must be and the pain he must have been playing through this year to retire at just 27. I think we all need to consider these factors before passing judgement on players when we don't know the full story

GO DEVILS!!!!!!

Massive statement of intent here. Announcing a marquee signing at such an early point in the offseason. I'm sure at some point in the past 2 years we've all said the words "tie him up now" looks like the Devils did just that. Very happy with this one !!!!

SteveKing

This really is an enormous signing for our franchise. As we all know by now, Joey isn't just the best offensive player in the league, he plays the game the way it's supposed to be played in all areas of the ice. Extremely well liked guy in the locker room and an ambassador for our club off the ice.

There is no doubt that Joey's ankle injury a month before the end of the season was a game changer for our club. Being Joey, he said nothing publicly and tried to gut it out.

Recruiting becomes easier when Joey Martin is on our roster.

d20

Thank you Steve,you and the rest of the #calgary4 really have backed this club and do everything the correct way we couldnt ask for better owners ,great news that joey is signed up as the first ,look forward to the next lot now .