Who’s going tonight - Awards Night

jenks33

I’d be happy to see Reid and Crandall back on a line together next season but a centre that produces more offensively is a must. I’m a huge fan of Dixon but no way should he have been number 1 centreman this season. I appreciate other fans will disagree but we needed somebody to keep up with Reid on that first line goalscoring wise. You’re never going to get many goals out of Crandall so you need the other two on that line to score a lot. When you compare Dixon’s 15 goals and Crandall’s 12 goals to Conway and Piccinich in Belfast then it’s miles off. You don’t need all 3 on your first line to score but you can’t be relying on one player to get all the goals.

Last edited:

Rempel16

See I think Jardine is the full package at this level. I know his stats maybe weren’t spectacular in cardiff last time but we saw the best of him after xmas. And since then he’s put up very decent numbers for a D man (44 points in the ECHL and even 11 points in 35 games this season in strong leagues is decent) If we had Fournier then I think Jardine would give us enough offensively whilst being a better defensive defenceman than Fourns and Register. It’s harsh to compare players to Hotham but Hotham and Register are clearly quite similar when it comes to taking risks on the ice. I just feel Register is a bit too lightweight and easy to manipulate at times for my liking. Where as Hotham had that nasty streak. Clearly a lot to like about Register’s game as well tho, 44 points in 53 games is obviously a great effort offensively.
Really good points made there.

We can debate the pros & cons of each player in their own right, but it can't be said that any of them are not good players for this level and I think if we have any 2 of the 3 next season we aren't going to be far off.

Rempel16

I’d be happy to see Reid and Crandall back on a line together next season but a centre that produces more offensively is a must. I’m a huge fan of Dixon but no way should he have been number 1 centreman this season. I appreciate other fans will disagree but we needed somebody to keep with Reid on that first line goalscoring wise. You’re never going to get many goals out of Crandall so you need the other two on that line to score a lot. When you compare Dixon’s 15 goals and Crandall’s 12 goals to Conway and Piccinich in Belfast then it’s miles off. You don’t need all 3 on your first line to score but you can’t be relying on one player to get all the goals.
Agreed, and in fairness I think Dixon would admit himself that he's not a 1st line centre. He's done one heck of a job there mind.

#88 would complete that top line perfectly.

jenks33

Agreed, and in fairness I think Dixon would admit himself that he's not a 1st line centre. He's done one heck of a job there mind.

#88 would complete that top line perfectly.
You’re right, 100% Dixon would admit that. I think he assumed he was coming back this season as 3rd line centre. Possibly 2nd line at times

matbur

Bit late responding to this thread, but have said it before and will say it again, Todd Kelman is an asset to our team and British ice hockey.

The league is crying out for a few more of his ilk, that's for sure.

Also, where have these Fournier rumours come from? Is there any substance to them or has someone just mentioned his name once messing about?

kingmo19.1

Bit late responding to this thread, but have said it before and will say it again, Todd Kelman is an asset to our team and British ice hockey.

The league is crying out for a few more of his ilk, that's for sure.

Also, where have these Fournier rumours come from? Is there any substance to them or has someone just mentioned his name once messing about?
He’ll be back next season. Book mark this.

kettdevil1

Hmmmm don't get me wrong, definitely wouldn't say no to either #88 or Fournier returning but we do have a tendency to look back not forward so I wonder if we need to cast the net further?

Agree re: Dixon, for me one of the players of the season for going above and beyond what was expected of him ..... but we need a first line centre and that will allow Dixon to go back to anchoring the third line and scoring goals from about 6 inches out....

moggy#9

I suppose he will be 35 at the start of next season so he might pack it in over the summer. Who would you want back if the choice was between Register and Jardine? Hypothetically speaking as I can’t see Jardine back in the EIHL next season. I’d choose Jardine to be honest. Especially if Fournier returned.
Goodness, I'd have fournier and jardine back in a heartbeat.

moggy#9

I’d be happy to see Reid and Crandall back on a line together next season but a centre that produces more offensively is a must. I’m a huge fan of Dixon but no way should he have been number 1 centreman this season. I appreciate other fans will disagree but we needed somebody to keep up with Reid on that first line goalscoring wise. You’re never going to get many goals out of Crandall so you need the other two on that line to score a lot. When you compare Dixon’s 15 goals and Crandall’s 12 goals to Conway and Piccinich in Belfast then it’s miles off. You don’t need all 3 on your first line to score but you can’t be relying on one player to get all the goals.
I'm prepared to give some players a bit of slack given how's much chopping and changing of lines went on pre Xmas. If we'd have had settled lines by the end of October, instead of trying to deal with the obvious deficiencies of BOC and Dupont, who knows what totals might have been achieved. Just to be clear I don't think we'd have taken the league, but we wouldn't have been so far behind.

jenks33

I'm prepared to give some players a bit of slack given how's much chopping and changing of lines went on pre Xmas. If we'd have had settled lines by the end of October, instead of trying to deal with the obvious deficiencies of BOC and Dupont, who knows what totals might have been achieved. Just to be clear I don't think we'd have taken the league, but we wouldn't have been so far behind.
Haven’t Reid,Dixon,Crandall been together for a huge chunk of the season tho? They’ve played together in our good, average and poor spells of the season. I think we’ve seen enough of that line to realise that it needs a centre that is going to get closer to 25/30 goals.

Devil94

Haven’t Reid,Dixon,Crandall been together for a huge chunk of the season tho? They’ve played together in our good, average and poor spells of the season. I think we’ve seen enough of that line to realise that it needs a centre that is going to get closer to 25/30 goals.
Yes, I don't get the whole 'chopping and changing lines' excuse. You're not going to get through the season without switching some things a few times to see what works. This year has had no more than any other season, maybe perhaps even less. That's been the top line pretty much all year, Cox and Sanford have been together all year, and since Coughler arrived he's been between them. So that's a settled top 6 for the last 4 months of the year.
The defensive lines have stayed exactly the same when everyone's fit, with just McNulty replacing BOC.

jenks33

Belfast’s top line scored 67 more points than the Reid, Dixon, Crandall line. I think that says it all. We need more goals in our top 6 next season

Diablo3

I'm the other way round. I would have him back of course but I think Mikkelson is done. I think he came over for a final year and to get his MBA. And playing through his injury this year probably made that decision easier for him. I hear he's an intelligent and switched on guy, who probably has interests outside of hockey.

I think and hope Register will be back. From his previous years he looks like someone who likes to stay at a club for a few years, and I think his skating will be a problem with signing in an European top league. If he and Fournier will be with us next year, that's a lot of points coming from D.
Agree with you, I think we'll see Register but not Mikkelson. also, we will be lucky if Dixon decides he wants another year.