Who’s going tonight - Awards Night

jenks33

To be honest I haven’t watched us live since Dupont took over. Has Brandt been getting more ice time of late? I think it was clear that Skalde didn’t trust him in most situations.

jenks33

I’m a bit 50/50 on Brandt returning. If it remains 19 man rosters (which doesn’t look likely) then no chance is he coming back in my opinion. If we go back to 4 line hockey then there’s every chance he might be back. Let’s be honest Brandt will be cheap as chips so if it frees up more money to strengthen the top three lines then I’m all for it.

Kevlar68

But isn't it about building a team with a core majority?
We need players we can keep hold off for a few seasons, build to compete for 3/4 seasons before another roster change not one season players who may cost us high wages but gain us nothing.
If it goes to 22 roster I'd look at 16 experienced and 6 up and comings like Brandt.

Hockeymad

I’m a bit 50/50 on Brandt returning. If it remains 19 man rosters (which doesn’t look likely) then no chance is he coming back in my opinion. If we go back to 4 line hockey then there’s every chance he might be back. Let’s be honest Brandt will be cheap as chips so if it frees up more money to strengthen the top three lines then I’m all for it.
Wasn’t he voted fan favourite lol.

I doubt he will be here long and who ever rated him in the same bracket as vezio sacratini needs shooting

Devil94

Entertaining - yes, likeable - very. But in reality is he good enough for a club that should be challenging for every trophy - I don't think so.
Not that I want to play against him, but I hope someone like Dundee give him a shot next year. I think he will fit in with their style very well, play more minutes, and I think he has the potential of becoming a real club hero if he sticks around a club like Dundee for a while.

jenks33

But isn't it about building a team with a core majority?
We need players we can keep hold off for a few seasons, build to compete for 3/4 seasons before another roster change not one season players who may cost us high wages but gain us nothing.
If it goes to 22 roster I'd look at 16 experienced and 6 up and comings like Brandt.
Yeah I’m a big believer in keeping a core majority but it has to be on the back of a positive season right? You don’t just keep a core majority for the sake of it. That’s why Belfast, Sheffield, Nottingham made so many changes when they were finishing miles behind us at times. This has been a very, very average season for the Devils as far as the last 7 or 8 years go. If Todd and the new coach decided to make up to 8 or 9 changes I don’t think it would be too harsh to be honest, it’s been very mediocre this year.

moggy#9

Entertaining - yes, likeable - very. But in reality is he good enough for a club that should be challenging for every trophy - I don't think so.
Not that I want to play against him, but I hope someone like Dundee give him a shot next year. I think he will fit in with their style very well, play more minutes, and I think he has the potential of becoming a real club hero if he sticks around a club like Dundee for a while.
I get what you're saying, but given that we're looking at him as a 4th line forward, what is it that you would look for in a player for such a position that Brandt doesn't give? I'd say realistically 15 points and eat up a bunch off minutes in a checking role - which Brandt should be capable of.

jenks33

Tend to agree with you Devil94. As much as some fans might not like to hear it I think Dundee would be a great move for Brandt. As I’ve said I wouldn’t be against him being on our fourth line but is he replaceable? Absolutely. For me the main reason Brandt is so popular is we were so timid before he arrived. Fans were just desperate for something to get them out of their seat and in came a young player that threw his body around. Doesn’t mean you can’t upgrade on that player tho

ASHIPP

The development of young players is key to excellent depth on a team. Hope that there is continued intense development of Sam Duggan and Josh Waller next season with even more icetime. They are very talented young players who have demonstrated that they thrive on additional responsibilities and are hopefully longterm core British players for the Devils.

Devil94

I get what you're saying, but given that we're looking at him as a 4th line forward, what is it that you would look for in a player for such a position that Brandt doesn't give? I'd say realistically 15 points and eat up a bunch off minutes in a checking role - which Brandt should be capable of.
Lots of guesswork going on here, but if we go back to pre covid rosters, I think what that would do is push our 'Brit line' fully down to the 4th, instead of the 3rd/4th split.
So maybe Duggan - Davies - Harewood?
Then the 3rd would be with Waller - Dixon - and then a big body like Marjiamaki, Lord, Riley. I think thats something we are lacking this year. Or you could also have Lammon on the 4th.
And then the same top 6 with a new first line centre (#88?).

I can't see a spot for him myself. If he also contributed a lot more with points, or was a key face off guy, or great penalty killer, then absolutely you find a spot for him. But he's a little one dimensional in my view.

terry hunt

I am enjoying the discussions on here and in my opinion players abilities are being discussed fairly.
I am interested about the opinions on Mcnally.I find him difficult to rate due to this strange season.
Mcnulty seemed to be improving steadily before his injury but is he good enough.
I know there is a dire shortage of Brits but i have doubts about Ben Davies.I know a tirade from family/mates will come for daring to criticise a "Cardiff Boy" but i was surprised to see him chosen for GB

moggy#9

Lots of guesswork going on here, but if we go back to pre covid rosters, I think what that would do is push our 'Brit line' fully down to the 4th, instead of the 3rd/4th split.
So maybe Duggan - Davies - Harewood?
Then the 3rd would be with Waller - Dixon - and then a big body like Marjiamaki, Lord, Riley. I think thats something we are lacking this year. Or you could also have Lammon on the 4th.
And then the same top 6 with a new first line centre (#88?).

I can't see a spot for him myself. If he also contributed a lot more with points, or was a key face off guy, or great penalty killer, then absolutely you find a spot for him. But he's a little one dimensional in my view.
All reasonable and well argued.

moggy#9

I am enjoying the discussions on here and in my opinion players abilities are being discussed fairly.
I am interested about the opinions on Mcnally.I find him difficult to rate due to this strange season.
Mcnulty seemed to be improving steadily before his injury but is he good enough.
I know there is a dire shortage of Brits but i have doubts about Ben Davies.I know a tirade from family/mates will come for daring to criticise a "Cardiff Boy" but i was surprised to see him chosen for GB
The thing with Davies is that he's a role player. He's tenacious and an excellent forechecker. He might not have the points production of some others, but he's a useful part of the mix.

jenks33

McNally’s a funny one. When he’s been fit and available he hasn’t done much wrong has he? I don’t think he will be back though personally.

Zero chance of McNulty returning in my opinion.

I think Ben will be back and will be a solid player on our fourth line. I have been a bit disappointed with his points production though. He managed 33 and 28 points during his two seasons with Guildford so I was hoping he was going to get 25ish points for us this season, rather than the 15 he ended up with. I know you could argue he had more ice time with Guildford but the league was also stronger at that time. I think Ben will be a little disappointed with his season. I’d still like him back tho

ASHIPP

The thing with Davies is that he's a role player. He's tenacious and an excellent forechecker. He might not have the points production of some others, but he's a useful part of the mix.
This.

Players have roles on the team. Ben is excellent on the PK and is tirelessly gritty. Would love to see his face off skills reach the heights of Matthew Myers' success but nevertheless Ben is a thorn in the side of opposition.
The object of our British line has been to carry and keep the puck in the opposition zone in between shifts from other lines ...and taking shots on goal opportunities if they arise.