Signings and departures 2011/12 - All other teams...

Ger-Devils said:
J.B said:
Blaze sign Bryan Jurynec :?
Stats are not amazing to be honest with you. Will soon see what he's like.
Considering we only have 9 imports, I wouldn't say most of our imports look particularly impressive but it seems Thommo has deliberately gone for younger less proven players so we'll have to wait and see. Looks a bit of a character so at least should be interesting ;)

Ger-Devils said:
J.B said:
Blaze sign Bryan Jurynec :?
Stats are not amazing to be honest with you. Will soon see what he's like.
The signing was first announced on Mercia FM. Jason Robinson recommend him and he was also highly rated by Ben Simon who tried to sign him last season for the Sheffield Steelers.

Finny said:
No offence Blaze fans, but he looks rubbish.
I don't think he's that bad. If you look him up on YouTube he's won quite a few fights, he also seems to be a tough nut to crack. He sort of reminds me of Danny Stewart when he first joined for the Blaze. As for his stats, well,just like Chris Frank he clearly wasn't signed for points.

Rempel16

Quick glance on Dropyourgloves. He got a TKO win over Panthers new guy Brock wilson in 09-10.

Can't see him being the protection that the Blaze need this season. To think that they were in for Clouthier and end up with this guy.

Not even team toughness this year Thommo.

What looked like a promising roster has just seen its first chink (IMO) much like the Jeff Smith signing last year. (Blaze fans wouldn't accept that he wasn't what they needed then and I don't think they will with Jurynec either).

Rempel16 said:
Quick glance on Dropyourgloves. He got a TKO win over Panthers new guy Brock wilson in 09-10.

Can't see him being the protection that the Blaze need this season. To think that they were in for Clouthier and end up with this guy.

Not even team toughness this year Thommo.

What looked like a promising roster has just seen its first chink (IMO) much like the Jeff Smith signing last year. (Blaze fans wouldn't accept that he wasn't what they needed then and I don't think they will with Jurynec either).
I am a bit concerned with the team with this final signing. We have a very mixed bag of player which I can't tell if it's part of Thommo's plan or just all we could get. But saying that, none of the teams have really impressed me with there signings yet, so we'll have to wait and see.

Finny

Tad# said:
Finny said:
I don't think he's that bad. If you look him up on YouTube he's won quite a few fights, he also seems to be a tough nut to crack. He sort of reminds me of Danny Stewart when he first joined for the Blaze. As for his stats, well,just like Chris Frank he clearly wasn't signed for points.
And just like Chris Frank, he is a hard hitting, no nonsense stay-at-home defenceman. :?

Finny said:
Tad# said:
Finny said:
And just like Chris Frank, he is a hard hitting, no nonsense stay-at-home defenceman. :?
I know that. But I meant even for a stay at home D man Franks stats aren't that good. Sure he can hit hard, but what else? I'm not knocking him, I'm just saying there are a lot of unknowns (like Jurynec) about him.

Finny said:
Sorry Tad but you are having a mare.
Not really. You need more then the ability to hit hard. Most players just take the hit, get up and carry on anyway. Looking at Jurynec stats again though. I don't quite get why Thommo felt he was right. He seems like he will cost us vital penalties. :/

Rempel16

But what would you like to know about a stay-at-home d-man?

Yes, his points are not great, but that's not what he's there for. He hits like a train but that's intimidation value rather than defensive ability.

So, in order to judge if he can actually be effective as a stay-at-home d-man we can only go on coaching reference and plus/minus stats.

Coaching reference - G says he skates well and there's more to his game than his pyhsicality.
Plus/minus - Best on his team last season, which, given that is points are pretty shoddy, is very impressive.

Stats quite often never paint a true picture anyway and players are often brought in because of other qualities that they will bring to a team.

What I have read about Jurynec so far does make me feel he is going to bring quite a bit to this seasons Blaze roster. Opposition fans are going to hate him. :)

AIC head coach Gary Wright on Jurynec: "In all my years of coaching he is easily in my top five of all players I’ve coached in terms of overall commitment and intensity."

Even though he's not a gifted scorer, Jurynec’s knowledge of the game makes him a natural to be on the ice in important game situations. He is a premier penalty-killer, a tough forechecker and prides himself on his defensive ability. Jurynec plays rugged but does not take stupid penalties.

Jurynec is exactly the type of motivating presence the a team needs to elevate play in practices and games. His hard work and intensity has previously inspired his teammates, to make Jurynec a unanimous choice as team captain."

Rempel16 said:
But what would you like to know about a stay-at-home d-man?

Yes, his points are not great, but that's not what he's there for. He hits like a train but that's intimidation value rather than defensive ability.

So, in order to judge if he can actually be effective as a stay-at-home d-man we can only go on coaching reference and plus/minus stats.

Coaching reference - G says he skates well and there's more to his game than his pyhsicality.
Plus/minus - Best on his team last season, which, given that is points are pretty shoddy, is very impressive.
Never mind then, I never knew about that last bit. I was told he was just a hard hitting d man expected to fill Wellers skates.

Having just heard Thommo on Thommo's talks he does bring up some good points which make Bryan sound A LOT like Danny Stewart when he first joined the Blaze. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #319
Never mind then, I never knew about that last bit. I was told he was just a hard hitting d man expected to fill Wellers skates.
Not quite sure who'd say he's expected to fill Wellers skates...

I'd expect more or less everyone to realise that Weller was a one off, and as Finny has said, it could be a very long time until we see a player of his quality play for us again...

Chris.

Rempel16

If he is like Danny Stewart in his first season for the Blaze you have yourselves a damn good player. Is that type of role enough to look after an entire team though? I'm not so sure.

Judging by coaching references from those that have coached him, he will no doubt be a great locker room guy, a fans favourite and a 110% player, but for the role that he has been signed with little (any?) back-up I feel he may struggle. Of course, Thommo knows more than I ever will!!!

As for Frank, I think it would be rather unfair (for Devils fans and others) to compare him to Weller, who was a one-off, a not-long-out-of-NHL-forward-turned-defenceman who could do it all at this level.
I will however, be expecting Frank to fill Sawyer's skates and he looks more than capable of this.