Signings and departures 2011/12 - All other teams...

Rempel16 said:
J.B said:
Rempel16 said:
Nice J.B!! Wrong again!!!!

Thommo has admitted that Phillips is the 10th import so that proves you completely wrong there.
If Mark Smith is on higher wages than Phil Hill i'd be surprised, let alone the best d-man in the EIHL.
Wrong about what? I said that Thommo used an "import" wage to get him (hence why we only have 9 imports) but wouldn't have paid him megabucks as he knows he could have got an import if they represented better value. I'm assuming you misunderstood my post as I've got no idea how I've been proved wrong based on a comment where we are saying the same thing :? :|
I don't know how I can put it easier for you.

He is taking an import slot, but he's probably earning more than a better standard of import would have demanded, because he is British.

As an example,
Steve Munn is a better player than David Phillips.
I would put a lot of money on David Phillips earning more.

But if Phillips is using up an import slot then surely it's better to go with a better quality import for less money.

So you're wrong if you think Thommo hasn't paid Phillips megabucks to keep him from going back to Belfast or even to Nottingham.

How is Phillips taking up an import slot when we are going with 9 imports this season?

Thommo has signed a quality Brit "D" man in Phillips, not at the expense of an import slot, and also has the option of using Soderstrom as injury cover or strengthening the team by bringing in another import player at a later date.

I can't see any problem with that.

Finny

J.B said:
In regard to Davey Phillips, I think people are over-playing how much signing him has had on our budget. Thommo wouldn't have signed him on stupid wages when he could have got an import instead. Compare him to someone like Mark Smith and he is probably on lower wages and has far more experience at a higher level.
If you are paying Davey Phillips less than Mark Smith then Thommo must be a brilliant negotiator! Mark Smith is surely going to be our #4 dman or maybe even #3. Surely Phillips will be one of your top 2 dmen?

And if Phillips isn't taking a big wage - where on earth are you spending your wage budget so that it stops you signing a 10th import?

Rempel16

Aldo- how is David Phillips taking an import slot?

Because you signed him and declared you're going with 9, so effectively he's the 10th import.

You're statement about not being at the expense of an import slot only holds true if you start the season with 10 imports, so I take it Coventry have 1 more to sign? News to Thommo if so.....

And there isn;t a problem with it, I agree.

The point is, there is no chance that Phillips has signed for less than a lot of money (maybe even highest earner) and for that money Thommo could have gotten a better import instead.

Think is though, if the Blaze get off to a bad start they can always bring in an import to cover where the problems are at.. I think Blaze will do better next season.. Depending on who the Devils and Giants sign up to finish their rosters i expect the Blaze to be top 5 for sure and possible challenging for trophies..

Rempel16 said:
The point is, there is no chance that Phillips has signed for less than a lot of money (maybe even highest earner) and for that money Thommo could have gotten a better import instead.
So why didn't he then? Your explanation makes no sense. Isn't it more likely that Phillips wanted to come back to the UK after bouncing around North America and wanted to play for a coach he respected and a team with a strong history of success. He priced himself reasonably to sign for the club he wanted to and whilst he is, as you say, essentially taking up an "import slot", it doesn't mean he is on stupid money. You could even argue he has replaced Soderstrom on the roster.

Gazza272

J.B said:
You could even argue he has replaced Soderstrom on the roster.

No, you really couldnt :lol:

I dont see why Coventry fans are trying to play it down. Thommo and Simmsey have been quite open abotu the fact that Davey Phillips has taken up the 10th import slot.

TheStub

Re: Re: Signings and departures 2011/12 - All other teams...

Gazza272 said:
J.B said:
You could even argue he has replaced Soderstrom on the roster.

No, you really couldnt :lol:

I dont see why Coventry fans are trying to play it down. Thommo and Simmsey have been quite open abotu the fact that Davey Phillips has taken up the 10th import slot.
Personally I think it is something worth celebrating. A Brit good enough to truly displace an import.

Giants sign Benoit Doucet

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=73335 Looking at his very good stats (He was 4th in stats in the ECHL in 2007-2008) he looks to be our play maker, probable on our top line which if he is will have two very small but skilled players on it, think our 3rd top line player will need to have some size and physicality about him..

Scott Matzka has left Morzine-Avoriaz

Original Link: http://www.hcma.fr/index.php?option=com ... mid=100017

Translated by Google:

The arrival of American Scott Matzka in the Penguins team has been marked recently by many twists involuntary, sustained by both the player and the club Morzine.
Indeed, the record of the recruit from across the Atlantic, who signed his contract with the HCMA early April, was marked, if not undermined, by insurance problems related to the wife of Scott, pregnant, and that neither the U.S. nor France can provide in full. Without insurance to cover any possible risk related to pregnancy, the couple had to cancel his visit to France. Both parties - the player and the club Morzine - have therefore decided to give up, to their great regret, to see Scott Matzka join the ranks of the Penguins. The arrival of the American is perhaps only a postponement for the next season, once the player ... became a father!
That said, the HCMA turned to one of the best CV ever met in our village station, namely Brad Smyth. This beautiful Canadian career, having evolved in the NHL, out of a lackluster season - compared to its level - assigned to the Belfast Giants to the role of playmaker, he is not at all before to a good end of season with Fassa, Italy, but still below expectations and potential.
Age (38 years) some progress in this attack does not stop to be in amazing physical shape, as has been hinted at his last physical tests, and his motivation is intact. It's a goalscorer, race of the great, who has left his mark on the division AHL, including the 1995-1996 season. Brad Smyth is indeed one of the most prolific scorers in the history of the AHL, winning a Calder Cup, but also a title in Finland, SM-Liga. He was captain of some of the AHL teams and has shown great consistency throughout his career. A player on the whole rather quiet, but effective. A real pro and a great worker.
A Morzine-Avoriaz, it is likely to be associated with a real "game maker", ie the Finn Toni Koivunen. Note that in internal HCMA, Brad Smyth has agreed to assist in minor hockey, helping to train young club (Brad speaks French, and for children, it will be very lucky!). This underscores both the player's mentality and the desire to keep the HCMA within the family structure near the club the best mood possible.
To sum up, Brad Smyth is a huge player with a remarkable passage in the NHL, but that has not ended his career! It wants to prove to the HCMA Magnus and his beautiful remains. It should be the leader of the Penguins, whose whole club needs, on and off the ice.