Signings and departures 2011/12 - All other teams...

Looking at the league this season apart from King and Lepine, possible Frank, then Jurynec matches up to any of them.. I don't think he would of been as much use as a go to guy in seasons like 08/09 when the EIHL was stacked with heavyweights like Cloots, McAllister, Cornish, Lewis, Voth, Stefishen, Rushton, Ndur, Payette, MacIver ect.. But as a go to guy this year he will do fine in this league..

I think he could be another Shawn Skiehar style player, fun to watch and a energy guy who's not afraid to drop the gloves with anyone.. Reading reports from his ex coaches, and players he played with they all come back good..

Shame Cloots name was mentioned by Thomo first, as i think any lesser name small tough player coming in after thinking your coach was going after Cloots would be a bit of a meh signing.. But i think Jurynec could prove to be a decent find.. Skiehar was a smaller tough energy guy and he done very well in Belfast even though he was not the toughest in the league. He took on all the top names at that time including Cloots, Payette, Voth, Cornish, Shmyr, Angelstad, Ferone, G.Belak, B.Myhres, i think this guy could be this year's Ski...

Finny

Is there a reason why Belfast have only signed/announced 4 of their 10 imports?

Our fans were starting to understandably get restless with out lack of signings - what is going on in Belfast?

Finny said:

Our fans were starting to understandably get restless with out lack of signings - what is going on in Belfast?
we're pretty much at the same stage we were last season with a flurry of signings in Late July / Early August

Goin by the latest blog it seems that our deadline is 20th August which is just over 4 weeks so 1 announcement per week with a couple of doubles.

As for getting restless it depends where you read. Facebook is full of "we have no players what are we going to do" rants whereby others just take it as it comes. I suppose the real time to worry is the 2nd September if we have no team ready to start the campaign.

Finny said:

Were just waiting to announce Matzka, Gleed, Szwez, Deniset, Woolland (Best Agitator in CHL, and highly skilled) and our enforcer Chris Simon.. ;)

Seriously though there's no hurry Finny the season is still a good while away..

Finny said:
Sorry Tad but you are having a mare.
To be fair, I think Tad has a point.

You are all raving about Chris Frank on the basis of one youtube video and some hype in the press release. There isn't much else to assume he is going to be a great signing (although personally I think he will be decent).

Same with Jurynec. We know very little about him. Low points (but you wouldn't expect much more from an enforcer/rink rat) but some good praise from coaches etc. To have written him off already is a bit rash.

The fact that people are writing off the Blaze signings and lower expectations should help with Thommo's team talks though.

Gazza272

J.B said:
Finny said:
Sorry Tad but you are having a mare.
To be fair, I think Tad has a point.

You are all raving about Chris Frank on the basis of one youtube video and some hype in the press release. There isn't much else to assume he is going to be a great signing (although personally I think he will be decent).

Same with Jurynec. We know very little about him. Low points (but you wouldn't expect much more from an enforcer/rink rat) but some good praise from coaches etc. To have written him off already is a bit rash.

The fact that people are writing off the Blaze signings and lower expectations should help with Thommo's team talks though.
Thing is though.

Frank is a Stay at home D man recently had the best +/- on his team. He also had an AHL call up last season. You can point to those being good positives.

With this Bryan guy he has a lot of good thing from coaches, but he also has pretty much no choice but to do what his coaches say because he hasnt got the ability to be moody. Last season This dude played not a lot of games and doesnt have any points as a forward to suggest he will be doing anything but try to bring a bit of energy and be a good penalty killer. Those are good points, but considering the Blaze have a fair few new forwards every one will have to contribute. Especially since essentially you have lost two import forward slots ( Drop from 11 imports, and not signing the 10th).

I just dont think Davey Phillips is worth the gamble this year. Especially when the likes of Danny Meyers and Mark Richardson arent imo massively worse than him.

We will see. I'm more excited about this season than the last few due to the number of new players I'm looking forward to seeing and if we can cause a few shocks to the Cardiff and Nottingham fans who appear to have already written us off, all the better. I'm sure that Thommo appreciates all the concern that fans from the rest of the league have for his team though :lol:

In regard to Davey Phillips, I think people are over-playing how much signing him has had on our budget. Thommo wouldn't have signed him on stupid wages when he could have got an import instead. Compare him to someone like Mark Smith and he is probably on lower wages and has far more experience at a higher level.

Rempel16

Nice J.B!! Wrong again!!!!

Thommo has admitted that Phillips is the 10th import so that proves you completely wrong there.
If Mark Smith is on higher wages than Phil Hill i'd be surprised, let alone the best d-man in the EIHL.

And to add, if Thommo needs to use fan analysis of his team as his teamtalk then he shouldn't be in coaching.

Skippy

J.B said:

I suspect that this is a good signing as well and we know a bit more now :)

“His stats don’t look great because he had a knee injury one year, which he’s recovered from and then broke his thumb in a fight,” said coach Paul Thompson.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/covent ... z1SdvdFtoV

Gazza272

skippy said:
J.B said:

We know a bit more now :)

“His stats don’t look great because he had a knee injury one year, which he’s recovered from and then broke his thumb in a fight,” said coach Paul Thompson.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/covent ... z1SdvdFtoV

And the other 8 seasons?

The guys highest points total is 23 and that was int he season where he played the most games (50)

I cant see the excuse for the other seasons?

Skippy

Gazza272 said:
And the other 8 seasons?

The guys highest points total is 23 and that was int he season where he played the most games (50)

Very true, only time will tell I guess.

skippy said:
Gazza272 said:
And the other 8 seasons?

Very true, only time will tell I guess.
There are a lot of question marks over some of Thommo's signings. I'm happy we haven't gone all out for a big heavyweight fighter this season and just stuck to a mid weight fighter like a Danny Stewart type of player. But! Danny's stats were A LOT better then this guy when he came to us, so..erm..well.. I don't know :/ Every thing that's been said about him is great, but another part of me thinks: Well duh! You wouldn't sign someone after getting negative feedback from other coaches etc. So I wonder how much of it is just bull..

Rempel16 said:

Thommo has admitted that Phillips is the 10th import so that proves you completely wrong there.
If Mark Smith is on higher wages than Phil Hill i'd be surprised, let alone the best d-man in the EIHL.
Wrong about what? I said that Thommo used an "import" wage to get him (hence why we only have 9 imports) but wouldn't have paid him megabucks as he knows he could have got an import if they represented better value. I'm assuming you misunderstood my post as I've got no idea how I've been proved wrong based on a comment where we are saying the same thing :? :|

Gazza272 said:
And the other 8 seasons?

4 were in college which are generally pretty low scoring. He was in the same team as Jerome Tendler in 07/08 who only got 21 points from 36 compared to 14 from 31. His 3 seasons as a pro, he has been used as an enforcer/3rd liner. Do you want to compare him to Voth's time in the ECHL? 4 points from 32 games and 5 points from 54 games?

Rempel16

J.B said:
Rempel16 said:

Wrong about what? I said that Thommo used an "import" wage to get him (hence why we only have 9 imports) but wouldn't have paid him megabucks as he knows he could have got an import if they represented better value. I'm assuming you misunderstood my post as I've got no idea how I've been proved wrong based on a comment where we are saying the same thing :? :|
I don't know how I can put it easier for you.

He is taking an import slot, but he's probably earning more than a better standard of import would have demanded, because he is British.

As an example,
Steve Munn is a better player than David Phillips.
I would put a lot of money on David Phillips earning more.

But if Phillips is using up an import slot then surely it's better to go with a better quality import for less money.

So you're wrong if you think Thommo hasn't paid Phillips megabucks to keep him from going back to Belfast or even to Nottingham.