Signings and departures 2011/12 - All other teams...

DevilDom

Finny said:
Don't forget that G did an interview earlier in the week explaining where he was with all the players. It's not like he has been sitting on his sofa doing nothing so far. He's spoken to all the players, and offered them contracts and waiting for them to get back to him.
Agreed. It was really good to hear that we were progressing things with all the players not yet confirmed as signed or leaving. I was simply pointing out what I think Lp was trying to say.

I also guess that this year more then other recent years the re-signing of current players has a higher priority due to the relative success of the team.

Finny

osh said:
How constructive Finny. Is there a need for such a reply ? You know, sometime's if you have nothing to say, it's best to say nothing !
Have a look at Rempel 16's reply, it is constructive and informative, unlike your usual sarcastic rhetoric !
*yawn*

Now now children... that was a whole page ago.

I don't really think comparisons can be made between the teams. They are at different stages of their growth. Devils are tweaking a successful core. Steelers are looking to start a bit more from scratch in rebuilding a core.

I don't see any problem with the announcements being held until a more appropriate time. I'm sure the people who matter are thinking of nothing else except securing the team right now so watch, wait and be patient

osh

Clare, good post ( apart from the now now children ;) )

With the import level reduced to 10, imo its a priority to get good Brits signed and that is what worries a few people I'm sure. me included.(however, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and I'm sure G is sorting things out) It is likely that due to the fact we will have 2 Brit n/m's in situ, we will need another 7 Brits to be signed.(I definately think we will need a minimum squad of 19 to compete in the league, allowing for injuries etc) That means we can go with 3 full lines and as Devil Dom has suggested, it leaves the opportunity for 2 other Brits to rotate as required. On ice skaters we already have Richardson and Smith signed, we are obviously hopeful of Hill and Symonds re signing and that leaves us requiring one top rated Brit if possible (Matt Myers maybe, but certainly someone of that standard who will be on a good line) leaving 2 other spots to be filled ( Burrows and 1 other for rotation) would you agree with the numbers required or do you think it will be a basic 15 or 16 man squad ?

ASHIPP

Rempel16 said:
Lp 1 said:
Maybe we should be more pro-active in securing some of our players.
In fairness, we have Lyle, Richardson and Sam Smith signed up already, so we are just Phil Hill (if he signs) away from matching the number of Brits signed up by Sheffield.

How much more pro-active can we get? And how do we know that Phil Hill isn't already signed, with the announcement not being held back for a bit?

Remps is right - this has been the case in the past, too, where Phil has at least provisionally commited earlier but his contract has not been thrashed out til later. He is usually likes to get his Team GB Duties out of the way first and take more time. Symmo is the same - he takes his time.

The Devils are in a much more advanced and pro-active situation than some of the other clubs (and it seems much further down the line than this time last year)....announcements will be made when things are finalised. We are all excited and anxious but just because we don't hear something everyday does not mean that people aren't working very hard behind the scenes to get there.

I would hope that the squad would be nearer the total of 19 rather than 15.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no reason to have Brits sat on the bench doing nothing.

Symo and Burrows have proved themselves worthy - If I were coaching that team I would have no issues rotating them both as frequently as any of the others, particuarly early on in the season to get their confidence and experience up early on before the team are having to make desperate scrambles to the top with 3 injuries and a ban in the last three weeks of the season (for example) because in this situation, there are more to step up and take the place without the concern for lack of quality.

Same with the netties. Lyle needs to take a step back and let whoever (hopefully Myers?) is backup have more starts. He will only get better by facing them and IF something happens to Lyle, we wont all be in uproar and biting our nails back to our knuckles because we have someone "not quite good enough" in goal when it really counts... instead we will have our "excellent back up" in net and have confidence in his abilities.

Gazza272

devil99 said:
if only you were our coach clare, lets hope the powers that be read the forum :)

If Clare was our coach I assume she would then be privvy to all that goes on in the team and have access to the personalities of people and the cold hard budgetry requirements.

All of which have a lot more bearing on team selection than simply what we see on the ice.

For me Burrows is a good talent but will need a solid pre season and a good couple of months to be ready for a regular shift. Good prospect though and I hope he grabs any opportunity afforded to him with both hands.

Gazza272 said:
devil99 said:
if only you were our coach clare, lets hope the powers that be read the forum :)
If Clare was our coach I assume she would then be privvy to all that goes on in the team and have access to the personalities of people and the cold hard budgetry requirements.

All of which have a lot more bearing on team selection than simply what we see on the ice.

For me Burrows is a good talent but will need a solid pre season and a good couple of months to be ready for a regular shift. Good prospect though and I hope he grabs any opportunity afforded to him with both hands.
Exactly.. none of "us" (the fans/general public) really know all the details of the players personalities, how they behave in the dressing room, what impacts it has on the morale of the team etc etc. Same as none of us can really stand up and preach about how many pennies they *should* be spending on X or Y player. Hell, most people barely have a grasp of budgeting their own finances, never mine a sports clubs. Yes, some of us are friendly with players, have had little "off the record" chats and things are spread around, but unless you're in there every day, you really have no idea and so arent really qualified to offer anything more than opinion based on your own knowledge.

Which is why I often find it quite blinkered and selfish of certain fans across these club forums... the ones who get on their soap boxes and tell everyone with such certainty that "X player was offered £?? and that clearly isnt enough - he is worth more than that". I think this demonstrates that that clearly do not have a clue about the ins and outs of running a sports team. Just because a player may be good in terms of skill and hockey sense, if he had a bad attitude in the changing room, he's going to affect the mood and morale of the whole team. Its about the whole package... but we have to bear in mind that when the likes of G is looking for a player to sign, if he hasn't had the experience of playing with him previously, he is almost in the same situation as the fans in that he isnt 100% of what the whole package will get him. Yes, on paper, his stats could be awesome. But if he's a risk-taking, chopsin little get who has those "bad days" a little too frequently, the whole team is up the swanny.

"Worth" is also a subjective word in this context.

Re the young Brits. Of course, one wouldnt just throw them out to the wolves and hope for the best. Development is the key thing here.. something which (I get the impression) Adams didnt seem overly keen on doing with the likes of Ben and Alex until Weller stepped up, insisting that they play more shifts. "They're not going to get better sitting on the bench" type conversation I believe. Symo has done fantastically with these opportunities, and the potential is there in Burrows and Fischer/Fisher (sp!?) to be the Brits to have in years to come if they are given the opportunities by the Devils NOW. Ben left because he felt he wasnt getting those opportunities. Who knows what he'll become and whether he'll want to come back whilst Adams is still in charge.

Finny said:
osh said:
How constructive Finny. Is there a need for such a reply ? You know, sometime's if you have nothing to say, it's best to say nothing !
Have a look at Rempel 16's reply, it is constructive and informative, unlike your usual sarcastic rhetoric !
*yawn*

Finny how old are you seriously? We are all fans of the same team, why be childish like that??

wildthing74

Rumour for a while and I guess tit for tat after Stars getting Mitchell.I think Hull get the better deal long term.Have been impressed with what I have seen of Harper and a big lad similar to Sam Smith so makes him even rarer as a Brit.