Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2023/24

Rempel16

I hope it is just one depth player they’ve got left to announce! Have they confirmed where Goodwin’s going? Last time I checked he hadn’t retired but his new team hadn’t been confirmed. Unless I’ve missed something.
Fingers crossed!

Same here, I saw the Giants confirm he wasn’t returning, but I haven’t seen confirmation of his next club / retirement.

AJ73

Cooper definitely but I’m not sure about McLeod ? I think he ended last season on their 3rd line although they possibly chopped and changed and his points production was good. His main position (certainly before last season) is centre so he might end up playing there next season. They’ve got enough left wingers but I’ve got a feeling they will still announce another point scorer to fit in somewhere. I’ll be surprised if their remaining two forwards are just a couple of depth players
Quinn Preston per reliable Twitter account! Big points in ECHL last year

Finny

Looking at giants roster, they already got 14 imports? So that leaves them 1 signing not two? Unless they run with a spare.
They’ve signed 14 but Roach is still injured so they’ll sign an extra as injury cover. Presumably keep that player all season to bypass the squad limits.

Finny

I suppose the only thing i'd say is i'm confident that at least 1 of their remaining 2 forwards will be a stud. If you look at their roster they're still missing a 1st/2nd line RW for me. Where as i agree with your post in the other thread regarding our remaining forward signings. We've probably just got Davies, Chad and Mosey to add. All good/important players but probably unlikely to score a lot of points.
I’ve been trying to work out their line-up and I think it’ll be something like this:

Tedesco - Nazarian -
Barriga - Lake - M Cooper
- O Cooper - McLeod
Sato - Long - Norris

That’s assuming that Garside plays on D like they announced. But for a team who have traditionally gone 6 import D in recent seasons I’m not convinced they will stick with a 4 import D for long if things don’t start great. Which would mean Garside going 4th C and Long to 3rd line wing. Or they throw money for the return of Conway.

Uktimately though Giants have lost the whole of their 1st line and need to rebuild it from scratch. We’ve turned our 1st line into a 2nd line and created a brand new 1st line.

jenks33

I’ve been trying to work out their line-up and I think it’ll be something like this:

Tedesco - Nazarian -
Barriga - Lake - M Cooper
- O Cooper - McLeod
Sato - Long - Norris

That’s assuming that Garside plays on D like they announced. But for a team who have traditionally gone 6 import D in recent seasons I’m not convinced they will stick with a 4 import D for long if things don’t start great. Which would mean Garside going 4th C and Long to 3rd line wing. Or they throw money for the return of Conway.

Uktimately though Giants have lost the whole of their 1st line and need to rebuild it from scratch. We’ve turned our 1st line into a 2nd line and created a brand new 1st line.
Does scoring depth concern you? I’m not concerned about our top two lines but you look at Belfasts 4th line and there are goals there. You look at our 4th line last year and they scored 13 goals between the 3 of them and they all played at least 52 league games. I’m not saying you need goals from your 4th line but it puts a bit of added pressure on the 3rd line. Call it greedy/unrealistic or whatever but that’s why I was hoping for Barrow on the third line and another top import to play alongside Ully and Arniel. I would then be very, very confident of challenging Belfast.

AJ73

Does scoring depth concern you? I’m not concerned about our top two lines but you look at Belfasts 4th line and there are goals there. You look at our 4th line last year and they scored 13 goals between the 3 of them and they all played at least 52 league games. I’m not saying you need goals from your 4th line but it puts a bit of added pressure on the 3rd line. Call it greedy/unrealistic or whatever but that’s why I was hoping for Barrow on the third line and another top import to play alongside Ully and Arniel. I would then be very, very confident of challenging Belfast.
The one thing that makes me query the Crandall resigning - is why have we left it this late?!

I can understand Crawford - given the points he put up last year, and Mosey to a certain extent - But Crandall would feel a little disappointing after last year - after what I consider a strong off-season thus far. It would have made more sense to put Crandall amongst the Summit signings and announce Ully as one of the last?

jenks33

The one thing that makes me query the Crandall resigning - is why have we left it this late?!

I can understand Crawford - given the points he put up last year, and Mosey to a certain extent - But Crandall would feel a little disappointing after last year - after what I consider a strong off-season thus far. It would have made more sense to put Crandall amongst the Summit signings and announce Ully as one of the last?
Exactly what I was thinking earlier. If we have re-signed Crandall why not announce him ages ago? Even though there were strong rumours Ully had signed he’s the type of signing I would have left until last.

Finny

A bit. But nowhere near as much tonight as it did yesterday.

Belfast certainly look like they have more depth in scoring with 7 of their signed players likely to break 20 goals and their rumoured signing likely to make it 8. Whereas we only have 5.

But a lot of their guys have just had career-best years. Will they continue to do the same in a star-studded Giants line-up or will they find it tougher on the 3rd line instead of the 1st?
There have been examples of the this drop after joining them. Ben Lake joined the Giants after scoring 34 goals for the Blaze, but hasn’t broken the 20 goal barrier since. Ciaran Long scored 17 then 25 goals for the Storm but after moving to the Giants has only scored 2, 8 and 9.

I’m assuming Tadesco will go onto their 1st line after scoring 31 goals last season. But he never showed much goal scoring at NCAA or ECHL level.
Barriga will be playing only his second year pro. Will get get the ice time and PP chances he did at Dundee?

And I’ve also got us scoring more goals on D than them. Way more if Crawford and Jardine return.

jenks33

I still find it odd that our last couple of announcements could well be Pietroniro and Crandall, even though they probably re-signed ages ago. The last few announcements should be players like Ully, Donaghey. Signings that will get fans excited.