Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2023/24

RedDevil17

In the seasons since Covid, the quality of Belfast has been very good, the quality of the league has not!
I agree with this. The quality of player in the league has gone downhill for sure and that’s no disrespect to any player in the league, but we’ve gone from signing players like Linglet who came straight from the KHL!

Belfast have spent money and it’s worked out due to two main factors. Good recruitment and tactics. Yes a lot of players have come straight from USports and ECHL, but them winning lots of trophies these past two seasons have been largely down to Adam Keefe. Whereas we’ve got recruitment horribly wrong these past two years and we’ve sacked both coaches after getting those appointments horribly wrong, one of which was a cheap option.

moggy#9

I agree with this. The quality of player in the league has gone downhill for sure and that’s no disrespect to any player in the league, but we’ve gone from signing players like Linglet who came straight from the KHL!

Belfast have spent money and it’s worked out due to two main factors. Good recruitment and tactics. Yes a lot of players have come straight from USports and ECHL, but them winning lots of trophies these past two seasons have been largely down to Adam Keefe. Whereas we’ve got recruitment horribly wrong these past two years and we’ve sacked both coaches after getting those appointments horribly wrong, one of which was a cheap option.
I have some sympathy over the skalde appointment. I wonder how much of the problem there was a personality conflict and how recruitment was controlled. Dupont was an obvious train wreck waiting to happen from the start.

Mooney#16

I wouldn’t underestimate the Steve Thornton factor in Belfasts success. Keefe is a good coach when they are winning but his wheels are also prone to coming off in adversity as well. Belfast have over taken most in the league not just on ice but off ice also. Thornton most certainly gives Keefe the resources for success. Three assistants is a pretty big investment from the GM.

moggy#9

Bryce reddick rumoured to be going to Glasgow. An interesting one. I was never a big fan of his as I felt he was a bit lightweight defensively, but he'd certainly add some goals to the clan.

moggy#9

I wouldn’t underestimate the Steve Thornton factor in Belfasts success. Keefe is a good coach when they are winning but his wheels are also prone to coming off in adversity as well. Belfast have over taken most in the league not just on ice but off ice also. Thornton most certainly gives Keefe the resources for success. Three assistants is a pretty big investment from the GM.
I'm still bitter at circumstances dictating that Thornton couldn't be a devil for his entire UK career.

RedDevil17

Bryce reddick rumoured to be going to Glasgow. An interesting one. I was never a big fan of his as I felt he was a bit lightweight defensively, but he'd certainly add some goals to the clan.
I always admired Reddick’s work ethic, but I agree he was very lightweight and his overall defensive ability was below average. Would be a decent signing for Clan, although that rumour comes from the less reliable rumour page.

jenks33

Good point. I do find the whole 3 assistants thing a bit OTT at this level though.

jenks33

I'm still bitter at circumstances dictating that Thornton couldn't be a devil for his entire UK career.
Agreed. What a player and I think he is sometimes unfairly overlooked when there are discussions about Devils legends from that era. I get why, unlike Matulik and Sacratini he didn’t return and his links to Belfast haven’t helped. If you purely concentrate on the 250ish games he played for the Devils though there weren’t many better than Thornton.

moggy#9

Agreed. What a player and I think he is sometimes unfairly overlooked when there are discussions about Devils legends from that era. I get why, unlike Matulik and Sacratini he didn’t return and his links to Belfast haven’t helped. If you purely concentrate on the 250ish games he played for the Devils though there weren’t many better than Thornton.
His debut game in Sheffield was amongst the best performances I've ever seen by any devil.

Slartibartfast

So if Pietronero signs which is very likely, that makes 12 forwards. So unless we carry a spare that's it. With Mosey being the 5th defence man that just leaves one more D man to come.

So if Pietronero signs which is very likely, that makes 12 forwards. So unless we carry a spare that's it. With Mosey being the 5th defence man that just leaves one more D man to come.
So we putting pietronero as line 1 forward? Got to be looking at carrying a spare, especially with Ully and mosesy injury record