Mike's Back!

ASHIPP

nmase20 said:
would these not be very expensive line ups?
I think we are being very optimistic thinking that Elich, Campbell, Deschatalets, Smith or Myers would all want to re-sign! They certainly would cost a lot of money but I suppose we're only speculating/dreaming on what we would LIKE to happen based on as yet unsubstantiated rumours. If G could accomodate 1 or even 2 of those guys in the budget, I'd be over the moon.
:)

ps And there is still the defence to think about. What about Tyson? Stevie Lyle?

osh

But how on earth can you be disappointed without knowing what the rest of the first line is? It's all about balance. We have Prps on the first line as a battling winger who scored 69 points last season. How many points did Samps score as a gritty winger on a line with Smith and Birbraer? I guess you would accept that Prps is more productive than Samps was!! What's the point of having three goal scorers on the first line if they haven't got anyone to work in the corners and win them the puck?[/quote]

I am merely saying that I don't think Prps is a 1st line player, I'm not disputing his points tally. I am hoping for a dynamic 1st line with Prps maybe on a 2nd line. We have to have serious intentions of winning silverware next season and not settling for mid table positions and also rans in cup comps. Like a lot of others, I want to win things ( the league and play offs being the main targets ) and to do that we have to have a better set up than last season, otherwise we will be saying exactly the same things on this forum this time next year.

we can have a better team than last year whilst having prp's on the first line, i dont see how you can say prp's is not a first line player.

I'm really not. It's just that we had a really average/boring season and I'm hoping for a more entertaining team this year. Whilst at the playoffs watching Sheffield, Coventry and Nottingham I realised how far behind them we were last season (in terms of quality of player).
I agree. We had a mediocre season in terms of results....a 'poor' one in terms of performances.....and it looks like we are bringing many of the same personnel back....for the 'same'.
Hartwick.....in great demand?......from the European leagues? Sorry - I just don't believe it.
Prpich.....the player who came according to the coach with a CV that showed he always scored on the big occasion.....was without doubt our weakest player in Nottingham.
No....I was hoping for a cleaner sweep on the players' roster for next year (Voth, Teplitsky and Latulippe apart)
Glad to hear rumours that we might be looking to shake up our Brits' roster. Gosh - that's going to go down like a lead balloon amongst the 'Welsh is best' Devils' fans!!!

I am not for the 'welsh is best' theory at all. But I understand that this hockey club has two different kinds of fan. The first like to see their team win, no matter what the cost, and to be able to revel in their success. And the second is the kind of fan, who look to be entertained, but like to feel that they have some connection with their club. If you were to ask them what they would prefer, a whole brand new team every single year, who may win games but have nothing in common with their fan base, or a team made up of players who want to play for the CARDIFF DEVILS, even if they have more lucrative offers from elsewhere, I'm pretty sure I know who they would pick.

There is a reason why Franny is a fan favourite. There is a reason why the fans loved Alex Symonds while he was here, people love to see their local lads making a name for themselves and showing passion for the club they WANT to play for. Voth is a fans favourite because he does everything anyone would want from him, but also because he loves CARDIFF DEVILS and is never shy about admitting it.

Yes success is important, but I would rather see success from a team who want to be here, and not just for the cash. Cardiff Devils over the years must have one of the lowest numbers of imports who move on to other elite clubs after their time here. If the top point scorer from last year, who openly admits he loves Cardiff, wants to return for a third spell and the coach and the majority of the fans want him... what's the problem? Do you think our coach would deliberately go out and sign a player that he thought wasn't in the best interest of the Cardiff Devils? If our other first line players were Smitty and Max... or David Beauregard and Sly... or AC / DC ... would people complain that our our first line was weak?

TheStub

schulersagoodun said:
I agree. We had a mediocre season in terms of results....a 'poor' one in terms of performances.....and it looks like we are bringing many of the same personnel back....for the 'same'.
Hartwick.....in great demand?......from the European leagues? Sorry - I just don't believe it.
Prpich.....the player who came according to the coach with a CV that showed he always scored on the big occasion.....was without doubt our weakest player in Nottingham.
No....I was hoping for a cleaner sweep on the players' roster for next year (Voth, Teplitsky and Latulippe apart)
Glad to hear rumours that we might be looking to shake up our Brits' roster. Gosh - that's going to go down like a lead balloon amongst the 'Welsh is best' Devils' fans!!!
I think you are being exceptionally myopic. Great teams can not be bought in one go, they are built over seasons. Relationships forged, and abilities matched. That can only be done on the ice, not on paper.

This season, while we haven't been exceptionally good, we haven't been exceptionally bad. A look at the stats show how often we were just edged out this season. We took hardly any real pastings. So a huge change in personel would set us back several years.

We need well thought out, constructive changes. Resigning our best players and then tweaking where we need tweaking has to be the way to go. We are in year 1 of 3, lets see what we do in year 2.

I'm just excited to see the team that Adams will build - we have our key guys resigned, no where are we making changes :D

osh

TheStub said:
schulersagoodun said:
I think you are being exceptionally myopic. Great teams can not be bought in one go, they are built over seasons. Relationships forged, and abilities matched. That can only be done on the ice, not on paper.

This season, while we haven't been exceptionally good, we haven't been exceptionally bad. A look at the stats show how often we were just edged out this season. We took hardly any real pastings. So a huge change in personel would set us back several years.

We need well thought out, constructive changes. Resigning our best players and then tweaking where we need tweaking has to be the way to go. We are in year 1 of 3, lets see what we do in year 2.

I'm just excited to see the team that Adams will build - we have our key guys resigned, no where are we making changes :D
What it boils down to is that last season we were an average team in the Elite League. My point is, we have been average for too long now and I, like many others, want to see a more positive sign of achieving success, so signing most of last years team ( as most posters seem to want to settle for again) doesn't impress me or tell me that we are striving flat out to achieve silverware.

Finny

schulersagoodun said:
Eh?
Considering the rumours are that we will be bringing back some Welsh players, - how does that contradict the "Welsh is best" idea? :?

TheStub

osh said:
What it boils down to is that last season we were an average team in the Elite League. My point is, we have been average for too long now and I, like many others, want to see a more positive sign of achieving success, so signing most of last years team ( as most posters seem to want to settle for again) doesn't impress me or tell me that we are striving flat out to achieve silverware.
But what it boils down to is the key to a great team is incremental changes.

So, I want to see a couple of key changes, not a wholesale redesign. Jay and Prpich were two of our key guys last season, so I am glad to see them back. If the core is the same, then it is easier to integrate new players. It takes at least 3 years to build a winning team, in a sport such as ice hockey - as a teams performance is not proportional to the combined ability of the team in any linear fashion.

So - give me stability. Give me a few key changes. I will give G my support, and be excited for next season.

Well said the The Stub!!!! Things take time, winning championships doesnt happen over night. How some people can say they are dissapointed with the team so far is beyond me!!! The players that we have resigned so far would be snapped up by other elite/european teams!!! Quite frankly i think we are doing well to hold on to these guys...... Ive given G some critiscm the last season, im not a huge of dump and chase hockey but i think this season with the higher wagecap we might play a different style of hockey. Wait and see people!!!!

Koop11

Thread starter #91
I can understand aspects of what osh and schulersagoodun are saying but I think reality checks are needed here. I don’t know the official finances of last year’s Devils team (not my right to know regardless) but looking at other teams in this in the league it doesn’t take a genius to understand that we were not competing with the top 4 budget wise. With that in mind, on reflection what were people honestly expecting.

Sure, the style of hockey played made certain games less entertaining. I can certainly accept that. Whilst I was entertained with in your face hockey there were times when you needed a spark of class to work teams in different areas. However, to have that adaptable style of hockey, you need to have the budget to do so.

Looking ahead this season, I think the signings we’ve made so far are very encouraging. Voth, is a leader and we all know what he does for the club on and off the ice. Jay is a talent and a half and is arguably our best re-signing. I’d be amazed if anyone could question his contribution to the team. Hartwick, whilst was hot and cold start of the year finished the season as the most consistent blueliner IMO. Jarvis surprised everyone with his effective game at both ends of the ice. 37 points from any defenseman is impressive. Also worth reminding we had the 2nd best defence in the league last year, second only to the league champions.

Pirps’ points tally this season was very impressive considering the further knee surgery he had to have (35 G, 34 A - 69 Pts). Let’s put that into context. 69 points was more than Bobby Robins, Steve Thornton, George Awada and Jeff Legue to name a few. Again, I’m not involved in the finances of the club but I would bet my wage that Pirps wasn’t on the salary these guys were on. Did he have a poor playoffs – yes indeed, poor would be an understatement but playoffs aside, Pirps contributed to the teams in many aspects during the season, including scoring more goals than Mark Smith did in 2006/07. Anyone who is unconvinced that Pirps is not a great signing and could not play first line needs their head read IMO.

Do we need a stronger centre next to Pirps to have a more competitive 1st line – I think so. The opposite wing will also shape much of what our top line will achieve next year. Assuming we can keep Phil Hill after his excellent season, our second line is complete. Bring in a strong Brit to add depth to the 3rd line and we’re far stronger already up front. The key will be the goaltender. Replacing Aubs is a massive task and could shape much of our season.

Finny

Iceraider said:
Prps' downturn in form was directly proportional to the length of his hair! Think he needs to keep growing the locks next year :lol:
So you are basically saying that Prpich is descended from Samson. And this season we need to keep Delilah away from him........

Finny said:
Iceraider said:
Prps' downturn in form was directly proportional to the length of his hair! Think he needs to keep growing the locks next year :lol:
So you are basically saying that Prpich is descended from Samson. And this season we need to keep Delilah away from him........
Mike 'Samson' Prpich, sounds like a nick name to me.

Just a note for the people who want a whole new team, look at what sheffield did last year. They were pretty average the year before but kept almost all of the team and went on to the success they achieved this year. Yes they did have some pretty outstanding players but the difference in one season to the next was they already knew eachother's style of play and gelled as a team from day 1 whilst the others were playing catch up.
An interesting stat for me was the team that had the least amount of players signed (original team & replacements) last season was Sheffield and the most.....Basingstoke. Speaks volumes.

osh

timetoplaythegame said:
Just a note for the people who want a whole new team, look at what sheffield did last year. They were pretty average the year before but kept almost all of the team and went on to the success they achieved this year. Yes they did have some pretty outstanding players but the difference in one season to the next was they already knew eachother's style of play and gelled as a team from day 1 whilst the others were playing catch up.
An interesting stat for me was the team that had the least amount of players signed (original team & replacements) last season was Sheffield and the most.....Basingstoke. Speaks volumes.
Get real. Sheffield were paying big money for better players ( despite the so called wage capping ) and basingstoke could only pay peanuts so got inferior players, simple as that.

Finny

timetoplaythegame said:
Exactly. This is what the club said they planned to do over the summer - and for me it is a good idea.

I've re-read this thread and I'm quite shocked at how it suddenly changed to a pessimistic thread. Although that seems to be down to 1 or 2 people posting several times.

I think people are making too much of the fact that Prpich had a disappointing Playoffs. Though it should be forgotten that he set up our winning goal against Belfast. He had a fantastic start to the season which suprised us all, and was pretty consistent throughout.

He also scored 35 goals.
35!!!!

Do you know the last time a player scored more than that for us in a season in the top league?
It was back in the 95-96 season, before the ISL was formed.
That's 13 years ago!!!!!!!!!

Finny

osh said:
Get real. Sheffield were paying big money for better players ( despite the so called wage capping ) and basingstoke could only pay peanuts so got inferior players, simple as that.
And yet Belfast and Nottingham were paying even more but didn't win the league. But they did make more changes.

Seeing as you are so disappointed by our 6 players so far - if you were coach instead of Adams, what would our team look like next season?

TheStub

osh said:
So, you honestly believe that if Sheffield just threw money at a whole new squad last season, they would have done as well?

Get real.

Nottingham have been trying to buy their way to cups for years, and haven't got anywhere. Matty went into Sheffield talking about building a stable team, and then he can win cups. That is a lesson we all can learn. You don't just change the team whole sale, you look at what worked, and what didn't and then plug the gaps.

Would you change your car because it misfires a bit? Or would you change the oil and maybe the plugs?

As someone who spends their time building and running project teams, I know that I far prefer to run with my stable team than get in 'hot shot' contractors. If I get a new guy, I loose three months - but with my team I can normally shave a month off because I know what each of them can do, how to motivate them and how to spread the load.

Hockey (or any team) is the same. G needs guys he knows, lines that work and people that work together. A team is more than the players - and G will know this.

I am fully expecting some key changes, but they are being held back until the end (and the fact that outside guys will probably take longer to negotiate than the guys already on your team). Who, what and when is up to G - but I fully expect us to have a stronger team next year, with the advantage of a core who already know each other.

On our day last season, we could beat anyone. This year we have more money, and a stable basis. C'mon :D

ASHIPP

TheStub said:
osh said:
But what it boils down to is the key to a great team is incremental changes.

So, I want to see a couple of key changes, not a wholesale redesign. Jay and Prpich were two of our key guys last season, so I am glad to see them back. If the core is the same, then it is easier to integrate new players. It takes at least 3 years to build a winning team, in a sport such as ice hockey - as a teams performance is not proportional to the combined ability of the team in any linear fashion.

So - give me stability. Give me a few key changes. I will give G my support, and be excited for next season.
The Stub - spot on post! :cool: Building a team does take time. If the foundations and relationships are already there and established, it's much easier to gradually realise the vision. Only need to look at Sheffield - Matsos acheived that vision over 3 years with the Steelers....through stability and gradual tweaking.
With every announcement coming out from the Devils' organisation at the moment, 'the plan' is becoming more defined. And there definitely IS an organised plan to match the development of the team. Can't wait to hear more.
:D