Mike's Back!

El Supremo said:
Whether he has signed on star players wages or not is irrelevant, that is between Prps and G and quite frankly none of our bloody business.
Of course it's important or do you not understand how a wage cap works? If we spend star wages on him then that's less money we have to spend on a genuine star. Are you honestly telling me that players like Prpich are enough to win or challenge for a championship?[/quote]
The majority of people understand how a wage cap works, apart from one or two owners :eek: I think you will find that the point Kipper is making is that the wages someone earns is, and should be confidential between the employer and employee and not speculated on by fans.

Back on subject welcome back Mike

Finny

I think what El is trying to say, is that Prpich is our 'star' signing - we won't have improved enough to challenge the top 4.

If however, he has been signed as maybe a 3rd/4th top scorer (as we felt he would be last summer) then he is a very good signing.

And I agree with him. If he is to be the #1 scorer on our first line - then that's no different to last season.
If however we then sign 2 more players for the first line who are likely to outscore him and he will be responsible for the dirty work and chip in with the occasional goal - then it's a very good signing.

Kipper said:
El Supremo said:
Hmmm, I'm not sure about this signing. Prpich has shown that he can be a great player but also that he can be a pretty average one too. I hope that G hasn't signed him as one of our star players on star player wages. If he's not then I welcome him back.
So we re-sign a guy who was our leading scorer and broke Mark Smiths' scoring record and we still get the negatives.Whether he has signed on star players wages or not is irrelevant, that is between Prps and G and quite frankly none of our bloody business. If it makes you happy, I heard he was signed on a fiver a week before stoppages but he is having the use of a club pedalo and possibly a television if he proves himself. Are you any happier now?
Think you are being a little unfair on El there Kipper. He/She is just as entitled to his opinion as any of us. A lot of fans were very disappointed in Prps towards the end of the season and this has probably raised some doubts about his ongoing fitness.
I would say that we should wait and see what the make-up of the entire team for next season before we get distressed about anything. I would like to believe we will see some quality signings throughout the coming months which will get us all buzzing by september.
I hope we don't go into next season with players who are carrying injuries and hope we make some signings which will bring some new dimensions to our game otherwise we will probably not take that step forward next season.
I am a big Prps fan and hope we get the on-fire player back and not the one from the play-offs.
Prps will be an important cog in hopefully a winning machine next season.
You won't win the league with a team of one type of player be they Mark Smith or Mike Prpich. You need that blend. Last season was all too one dimensional hopefully 09/10 will be a huge improvement.
Lets enjoy the anticipation the summer brings with signing the team for next season. the speculation is always fascinating.

.........and welcome back Prps! :D

Finny said:
I think what El is trying to say, is that Prpich is our 'star' signing - we won't have improved enough to challenge the top 4.

If however, he has been signed as maybe a 3rd/4th top scorer (as we felt he would be last summer) then he is a very good signing.

And I agree with him. If he is to be the #1 scorer on our first line - then that's no different to last season.
If however we then sign 2 more players for the first line who are likely to outscore him and he will be responsible for the dirty work and chip in with the occasional goal - then it's a very good signing.
Blimey Finny agreeing with El! Its a big ' love in ' tonite :lol: :lol: :lol:

ASHIPP

Glad to see Mike back, but still concerned about that knee! G has promised Mike a blue ray player if he can stay off the operating table this season! :lol:

Seriously, he scored some points for us last season and he says himself that we haven't seen the best of him yet. And with the right partnership...it could be true. Agreed that the Devils could really do with another couple of really finishers and we'll be fit for the challenge.

ASHIPP

ASHIPP said:
Glad to see Mike back, but still concerned about that knee! G has promised Mike a blue ray player if he can stay off the operating table this season! :lol:

Seriously, he scored some points for us last season and he says himself that we haven't seen the best of him yet. And with the right partnership...it could be true. Agreed that the Devils could really do with another couple of really finishers and we'll be fit for the challenge.G is obviously trying to retrieve a core of good players from last year's team to maintain stability for next year.

Kipper

El Supremo said:
Whether he has signed on star players wages or not is irrelevant, that is between Prps and G and quite frankly none of our bloody business.
Of course it's important or do you not understand how a wage cap works? If we spend star wages on him then that's less money we have to spend on a genuine star. Are you honestly telling me that players like Prpich are enough to win or challenge for a championship?[/quote]

Nah I'm way to dim to comprehend how a wage cap works. :roll: You and I will never know whether Prps is going to be on star wages or not so the argument is fatuous and irrelevant. It would be ludicrous not to keep a player that contributed 30+ goals and a similar number of assists this past season.

A

Anonymous

ASHIPP said:

Seriously, he scored some points for us last season and he says himself that we haven't seen the best of him yet. And with the right partnership...it could be true. Agreed that the Devils could really do with another couple of really finishers and we'll be fit for the challenge.

:lol: I think I have an old Betamax in the garage if he finds himself back on the slab......memo to me phone G and mention it :lol:

Sheincar

El Supremo said:
Sliput said:
El Supremo said:
Of course it's important or do you not understand how a wage cap works? If we spend star wages on him then that's less money we have to spend on a genuine star. Are you honestly telling me that players like Prpich are enough to win or challenge for a championship?
BUT ...you dont know G is spending ''star wages'' on him.

Geez...you really are a pessimist arent you. :cry: :cry:
I'm really not. It's just that we had a really average/boring season and I'm hoping for a more entertaining team this year. Whilst at the playoffs watching Sheffield, Coventry and Nottingham I realised how far behind them we were last season (in terms of quality of player).

However, with an extra £1,000 to spend this season I'm sure G will be able to upgrade at least 2 or 3 of our players.[/quote]

Well I wonder how they feel in Coventry about playoffs cos they had a whole team that didn't turn up not just a few players like us so not sure your comment is valid based on playoffs only. Yes Prps didn't turn up but I'd heard he'd been ill for the week before & by rights shouldn't have even been there. True or not - who the hell knows!!

Wannabe2

Also that wonderful team that Nottingham turned out were shut out by the Champions, the same team we scored two against, had a goal scored against us by Jono who was in the crease, and a empty netter to make the score look more impressive, although the best team won.

TheStub

Talking to Steelers fans at the international at Ice Sheffield (they are not all bad ;) ) they all said that the Devils match was the highlight of the weekend hockey wise. They were all more concerned about the tie than the final, and that the score didn't reflect the match - it was more a 3-2 victory.

So, we were miles behind the other teams at the event :lol: :lol:

Sometime I wonder if everyone sees the same games.

And remember.... Mike only beat Mark Smith's scoring record 'cos Smitty was playing against keepers with illegal pads for half a season.... sorry, just thought I'd stir it up some more

Welcome back Mike...

I wonder how much him and Jay will wind eachother up next season if Jay ends up at Blaze (as rumoured), think of all the water bottles being squirted at eachother.

I'm with Finny and El :eek:

Prpich - glad he's back but hope he's not expected to be our top points scorer.

For me Prpich went missing in some key games, but here's to hoping for an injury free season for him, perhaps we will see the real Prps.

Why does everyone keep saying this about expecting him to be our top point scorer? he wasnt expected to be our top point scorer at the beginning of last season and no where does it mention that hes expected to be this season. Your making something out of nothing if you ask me, nobody knows what G is going to do so instead of putting a dampner on the new signing/renewed signing lets just wait and see.

Kipper

nmase20 said:
Why does everyone keep saying this about expecting him to be our top point scorer? he wasnt expected to be our top point scorer at the beginning of last season and no where does it mention that hes expected to be this season. Your making something out of nothing if you ask me, nobody knows what G is going to do so instead of putting a dampner on the new signing/renewed signing lets just wait and see.
Nail. Head Hit.

The last few posts have been pot on IMO and hopefully this ends a discussion which was not based on facts.
Last year our top points scorer was meant to be Hinks and then I guess his replacement (Jay?). It was never meant to be Silverthorn (who is getting similar comments to Mike on here at the moment), as he is far to much of a 2 way centre for G to have ever thought that, and it was never meant to be Mike either, who Im sure was indended to play along side Voth on the 2nd line anyway.

If this is also the role he plays this year, then I guess we will be happy, Coz G will be considering him as maybe the 3rd highest points scorer on the team and we will have additional high point scorers on a top line.
However Mike plays his role really well and if he is as good on the PP as he was this year, I suspect he could again be very high on the scoring charts, pushing the guys on the top line and we will have made ourselves one very good re-signing.

Rempel16

Huskie442 said:
The last few posts have been pot on IMO and hopefully this ends a discussion which was not based on facts.
Last year our top points scorer was meant to be Hinks and then I guess his replacement (Jay?). It was never meant to be Silverthorn (who is getting similar comments to Mike on here at the moment), as he is far to much of a 2 way centre for G to have ever thought that, and it was never meant to be Mike either, who Im sure was indended to play along side Voth on the 2nd line anyway.

If this is also the role he plays this year, then I guess we will be happy, Coz G will be considering him as maybe the 3rd highest points scorer on the team and we will have additional high point scorers on a top line.
However Mike plays his role really well and if he is as good on the PP as he was this year, I suspect he could again be very high on the scoring charts, pushing the guys on the top line and we will have made ourselves one very good re-signing.
Fulton was due to be Hinks replacement and then Elich. Jay had already signed in the summer.

Regarding Silverthorn G stated himself in the first meeting that he was offering Silver a lucrative salary as he was going to be his no.1 go-to guy and that he was expecting 30 goals out of him.

Prps must know that incosistency has got to him this year as he mentioned improving on it.

osh

Chris Stone said:
Probably not i'm afraid Kipper.

Prpich isn't an NHL star, we don't play in a 1,000,000 seat arena and we don't have a wagecap of $53,000,000 from our attendances of 1400. ( from a mod looking for an argument I'd say )

Shambles. ;)
Sarcasm really is the lowest form of wit. So to match your comment (tongue in cheek ) can you please let me know who does play in a 1,000,000 seat arena.

I also hope we are going to sign someone af a higher calibre than prps if we are serious about winning something next season. Prps would be a good 2nd line signing in my book.