Latest rink update

With a peppercorn rent from the Council I can assure you the WNIR as an ice rink was not losing money. What happnned to the massive receipts i will leave it to you to decide

Kal

I hope IAW try to get more people of all ages involved in the ice sports they offer which will increase the arenas usage. Ice sports like Hockey are quite expensive to get started in and alot of people wont pay that upfront cost without knowing if they like it or not, especially if they're adults starting out. Curling is another expensive one, although I assume IAW will be providing equipment for that.

matbur

Just to add my two cents: I visited for the first time last night and thought the arena was absolutely amazing. I loved the BBT but tbh I thought last night was a far better experience. My girlfriend has been to a few games with me now and she enjoyed it far more in the arena because of the better vantage points, lighting etc. I think the arena will definitely attract new fans.

I collected my tickets earlier in the afternoon and I'm glad I did now because I was in awe for a good few minutes and it would've been a distraction during the actual game! ha

I was also pleasantly surprised to see a game on in the afternoon. Who were playing? I didn't know other teams play there too. I love to watch any live hockey.

Kal

matbur said:
Just to add my two cents: I visited for the first time last night and thought the arena was absolutely amazing. I loved the BBT but tbh I thought last night was a far better experience. My girlfriend has been to a few games with me now and she enjoyed it far more in the arena because of the better vantage points, lighting etc. I think the arena will definitely attract new fans.

I collected my tickets earlier in the afternoon and I'm glad I did now because I was in awe for a good few minutes and it would've been a distraction during the actual game! ha

I was also pleasantly surprised to see a game on in the afternoon. Who were playing? I didn't know other teams play there too. I love to watch any live hockey.
I believe the Cardiff Ice Hounds faced off at 2pm Sunday so them maybe. Several teams play out of IAW, Devils have another team as well as Cardiff Fire and quite a few Rec Hockey teams too.

matbur

Kal said:
I believe the Cardiff Ice Hounds faced off at 2pm Sunday so them maybe. Several teams play out of IAW, Devils have another team as well as Cardiff Fire and quite a few Rec Hockey teams too.
Thanks for the info - didn't realise that many people played competitively in the area.

I'll keep a look out for their fixtures, cheers.

Last night was our first game in the new arena, and we have to say, the rink is awesome - it's bright, it feels much more roomy, but most importantly the sightlines are just great!

Outside of that, yes there are niggles. The catering needs improving, but judging by the fact that the canteen only seems to be partially equipped (kitchen and vending machines), I'm sure that is in hand. It could also do with a bit more signage too, i.e. which doors are just exits to outside, and which you can use to get to the canteen...!

ice pie said:
Last night was our first game in the new arena, and we have to say, the rink is awesome - it's bright, it feels much more roomy, but most importantly the sightlines are just great!

Outside of that, yes there are niggles. The catering needs improving, but judging by the fact that the canteen only seems to be partially equipped (kitchen and vending machines), I'm sure that is in hand. It could also do with a bit more signage too, i.e. which doors are just exits to outside, and which you can use to get to the canteen...!
I too was disappointed with the food (no menu options available or small hot dogs). However hopefully this was just another small thing to sort out before next season starts.

Ocko

Glover said:
ice pie said:

I too was disappointed with the food (no menu options available or small hot dogs). However hopefully this was just another small thing to sort out before next season starts.
The queues were also horrendous. One food outlet with two tills for 3000 people is nowhere near enough. I know there are hotdog stands but not everyone wants a hotdog. Not the staff's fault and they weren't slow by any means but there needs to be another location sourced. Sheffield and Nottingham have one for every block.

august04

Ocko said:
Glover said:
ice pie said:

The queues were also horrendous. One food outlet with two tills for 3000 people is nowhere near enough. I know there are hotdog stands but not everyone wants a hotdog. Not the staff's fault and they weren't slow by any means but there needs to be another location sourced. Sheffield and Nottingham have one for every block.
I just wanted to get some coffee but there was no way I was joining that size queue! I can't have been the only one put off. Lots to do over the summer but once they get the PA system right, real scoreboard set up and red lights in the right places, the game experience will be second to none. It's great now by the way, but it'll be incredible when all is done!

I keep reading these "issues" and how there gonna be sorted for next season, but has anybody from IAW confirmed these are issues that are to be sorted or are people just assuming it'll change.

Milky

august04 said:
Ocko said:
Glover said:
I just wanted to get some coffee but there was no way I was joining that size queue! I can't have been the only one put off. Lots to do over the summer but once they get the PA system right, real scoreboard set up and red lights in the right places, the game experience will be second to none. It's great now by the way, but it'll be incredible when all is done!
Agree with all of that. The food provision is ridiculously inadequate. It took me from 5 minutes before the end of the second period and the game had restarted in the third before I got served and made it back to my seat. Again, can't fault the staff as they worked as quickly as they could but need at least one more location like that. Totally inadequate for 3000+ people.

Also might be an idea to arrange a queuing system, can't be that hard to put up a few rope barriers as it was carnage with people going outside to get a signal or going to the toilet having to get through the food queues in the break.

Anyone else notice for a while there was no running water in the ladies toilets in the taps of the flushes?

All these (and many other) issues aside, I have a great view and am enjoying going there. Thank god we have these 4 gamers at the end of the season to identify the problems.

pjj365 said:
Electro said:
Wannabe2 said:
Well seeing as the Devils office is now in IAW, communication shouldn't be a problem.
Let's hope their paying rent and have a decent contract.

Makes it a little easier in court.
In court ........... WTF?
You know, when your landlord nolonger has any interest in investing in or maintaining his obligations.

It's not like Todd can march into Greenbank and demand financial recourse in lost sales due to people being fed up with the ticket issues etc etc.

Maybe he could threaten to move out. I doubt many in Greenbank would take that threat serious.

Unless King and Co take their money to say Scotland or Europe.

The Devils won't do that...they will work with IAW to get it right.

Comparing this to a Landlord and Tenant dispute is...basically...garbage.

Unless you have seen sight of some tenancy agreement between the Devils and IAW?