Latest rink update

august04

wildthing74 said:
You have a very familiar posting style to many of us on here. Why all these sudden concerns,did you not feel the need to air them prior to 1 month ago?
I don't care who Electro is or whether he's registered before. If he's got something to say, let's hear it. If you don't want to read it, then don't! Isn't there a "foe" setting if you want to ignore a poster?What a boring place this would be if there wasn't the odd controversial posting.
And regarding these issues that appear not to have been budgeted for (or the money ran out!), it's laughable. I'm actually worried about the day to day operation of this arena, given the most essential things like comms lines, have not been considered/installed weeks after the handover. A family of 4 skating tomorrow will likely cost £40-50 or thereabouts? So you can't skate unless you've brought cash in a brand new £16 million facility? Unbelievable incompetence. You really couldn't make it up.

pjj365

august04 said:
wildthing74 said:
You have a very familiar posting style to many of us on here. Why all these sudden concerns,did you not feel the need to air them prior to 1 month ago?
I don't care who Electro is or whether he's registered before. If he's got something to say, let's hear it. If you don't want to read it, then don't! Isn't there a "foe" setting if you want to ignore a poster?What a boring place this would be if there wasn't the odd controversial posting.
And regarding these issues that appear not to have been budgeted for (or the money ran out!), it's laughable. I'm actually worried about the day to day operation of this arena, given the most essential things like comms lines, have not been considered/installed weeks after the handover. A family of 4 skating tomorrow will likely cost £40-50 or thereabouts? So you can't skate unless you've brought cash in a brand new £16 million facility? Unbelievable incompetence. You really couldn't make it up.
Typically handover implies acceptance against pre-agreed criteria

I find it hard to believe that we would accept an inedaquate operation (not the core facility) which the lack of comms in particular suggests it is. I just get the feeling we have been bounce into this and not for the benefit of the Devils

BTW IAW have the cheek to post on Twitter that there will be no card facilities this weekend due to unexpected circumstances (or similar words) It would have been more honest just to say they would not be available - after all it cannot be a surprise to them

A sorry story all round and let's hope the closed season sees some discipline introduced as this appears to have been lacking in the Project Planning - all ice users in Cardiff and surrounds deserve this

In the meantime I can't wait for tomorrow

Milky

pjj365 said:
august04 said:
wildthing74 said:
Typically handover implies acceptance against pre-agreed criteria

I find it hard to believe that we would accept an inedaquate operation (not the core facility) which the lack of comms in particular suggests it is. I just get the feeling we have been bounce into this and not for the benefit of the Devils

BTW IAW have the cheek to post on Twitter that there will be no card facilities this weekend due to unexpected circumstances (or similar words) It would have been more honest just to say they would not be available - after all it cannot be a surprise to them

A sorry story all round and let's hope the closed season sees some discipline introduced as this appears to have been lacking in the Project Planning - all ice users in Cardiff and surrounds deserve this

In the meantime I can't wait for tomorrow
While some people here are bashing Electro (and I don't care who he is either) it doesn't take away from the fact there seem to be major issues surrounding this handover. The hours the Devils staff and volunteers have put in this week to sort out tickets is ridiculous and should never have happened (or continue either).

I can't wait for the game like everyone else but I hope people don't forget that we are just tenants and that most of the problems our outside of our control.

Heard that the hot dog machines went in today so my son will be happy :Banana

Finny

august04 said:
wildthing74 said:
If it's Openreach they are waiting for to install their telephone lines they have my deepest sympathy. I know of people who have had to wait over a month for theirs to be installed. Our phone lines in work went down last Thurs and weren't fixed until this Wednesday.

pjj365

I will be critical of IAW over the situation but never the Devils

As Milky says we are tenants but worse still paying little or no rent. So we have no real power here other than being the commercial heart of the enterprise but given we have nowhere else to go even that power is limited

Let's enjoy the three regular season games that are left and, after experiencing the rink, add rational and measured comments in an attempt to help IAW get it better for next season

Tonight there should be a public thank you from Todd on behalf of the Devils to the people involved in getting the tickets sorted and a huge round of applause [CLAPPING HANDS SIGN]

terry hunt

Electro you obviously have a huge chip on your shoulder.

Did you get fired from this project or wouldnt anyone listen to your brilliant opinions?

I have a neighbour who worked on major projects like O2 etc he used to make the tea.

august04

Finny said:
august04 said:
wildthing74 said:
If it's Openreach they are waiting for to install their telephone lines they have my deepest sympathy. I know of people who have had to wait over a month for theirs to be installed. Our phone lines in work went down last Thurs and weren't fixed until this Wednesday.
Come on Finny, you build in these timings into the project build. The handover was mid January I believe? Phone lines should have been the first things done in the fit out. It's indefensible.

Finny

But it seems to be Openreach who tell customers when they will install phone lines. Not the other way around. That's assuming it is Openreach.

It's not like IAW have suddenly realised they have no phone lines. They've been waiting for them to be installed for weeks now.

pjj365

The snide attacks by some posters on others does not help rationsl debate

Also we should not confuse critism of IAW (in my book shorthand for all rhose responsible for the end to end design, build and operate activity) with critism of the Devils. I have seen little or no evidence of this - more frequently there is praise for the organisation

In addition it is not helpful to provide insights into the process, current circumstances or the history without some evidence of whether these insights are real, speculative or imaginary

The Devils fsn base includes a wide variety of skill sets all of which can contribute to the debate. Without knowing what that skill set is though the validity of the contribution cannot be judged

I cannot comment on whether plans were ignored or not. Nor can I comment on whether funding is an issue even though the evidence suggest that IAW could no longer wait to generate some form of income

What I would say though is that if I had failed to deliver the tools for the Project Management to deliver a functional building with one of the core utilities unavailable (things like seating in the bar are irretants which can be easily fixed with the will to do so) I would not have worked much over the last 35 years of contract negotiation and management - mainly for projects of £10m+

Conversely poor Project Management or lack of funding can derail the best constructed contractual environment. I have no factual insight into whether either of these circumstsnces have influenced the present situation

It is in this context that I am critical of IAW who seem to have pushed the Devils into some draining activities when we should be focusing on the ice activity

pjj365

Finny said:
But it seems to be Openreach who tell customers when they will install phone lines. Not the other way around. That's assuming it is Openreach.

It's not like IAW have suddenly realised they have no phone lines. They've been waiting for them to be installed for weeks now.
Commercially BT have fixed lesd times which are made clear to their commercial customers at the time of initial engagement. This is frustrating as they are immovsble but very useful for planning when to go live with the service. It is unusal to find sny other providers offering different times scales as the wire is more often thsn not a BT wire.

If, as has been suggested much earlier, the msin problem is laying lines over third party land then thst time scale runs from when that permission is availsble and such negotiations csn be protracted

So, yes Finny, it should not be a surprise done properly there should be a given date for availability fir testing - but yhst is another topic altogether

pjj365

Electro said:
Posting commercially sensitive or confidential information on a public forum must also be taken into account.
Absolutely but using it in any roundabout way brings accusations of arrogance and stirring the pot with no basis in fact

Best ignored totally

I agree to the point regarding no basis in fact.

As for the current debacle, you do know who owns the land surrounding the IAW. It's not hard to find out.

As for the lines, you in the IAW tonight? Have a look around, from what you've written I'd assume you're qualified to spot how ridiculous the current explanation is.

pjj365

Electro said:
I agree to the point regarding no basis in fact.

As for the current debacle, you do know who owns the land surrounding the IAW. It's not hard to find out.

As for the lines, you in the IAW tonight? Have a look around, from what you've written I'd assume you're qualified to spot how ridiculous the current explanation is.
To the land there is a difference according to the route for cabling - where is the intial access point. Might it be on or beyond Morrisons or ToysRUs land - if so there will be a need to dig up their car parks and the public highway
To looking round - I naturally will

My points though are not really to these specifics. Whatever these are they should have been built into the planning and the facility should not have been "handed over" when in some areas it is incomplete

To claim suprise at lack of comms is spurious unless IAW has just sat back and relied on promises without monitoring supplier activity and addressing issues. If this has been done then the delay would have been known about, the handover delayed and a revised estimate provided

In the grand scheme of things delays happen and have to be lived with. But this remindes me of one client where the only criteria for success was delivery to time (and that horse has well and truly bolted here) regardless of quality - their business suffered in the short term

Anyway tonight beckons and I can't wait to take my seat so that is my priority for the rest of today

Just look at the rounabout about 100 meters from the IAW front door.

Consider who in the area has phone lines.

My opinion is there is no money. But that should change now.