Latest rink update

Radio 2 today reported on the current state of Ice rinks around the UK closing. No mention of Cardiff and the development, not really much of a mention of ice hockey. yet they pointed out how much people miss having ice rinks in there cities apart from every xmas.

Why is there, in my opinion a complete lack of PR for the new arena development ? unless your into the subject, I doubt many in Cardiff are even aware of the planned development.

In fact Ice Hockey in general is rarely promoted within the UK. How are you goin to increase bums on seats if you don't promote the sport.

I'm no business expert, but you don't need to be Branson to understand the concept, the new rink will be available to the biggest income draw, if ice hockey cannot fill the numbers, become viable, it'll be shelved, either by Ragan or the rink owners.

Foxy

TheStub said:
Ocko said:
Kipper said:
My major concern is whether Greenbank will actually let the Devils under the current regime play out of the new arena. The club stumbles from chaos to circus with a disaffected fan base and endless bad publicity.

Greenback are investing millions into this flagship leisure destination and are unlikely to want an anchor tenant mired in failure and controversy to be associated with them. I understand that there is no written contract or legal obligation guaranteeing Cardiff Devils tenure. I am sure Jody would be in a better position to confirm this.Greenback would also no doubt insist on any tenant having a robust and viable business plan before agreeing any contracts.

The current problems with coaches and players being gassed could be the least of the club's problems in the next 12 months. Worrying times
I wouldn't say worrying times... More like a light at the end of a tunnel. Greenbank will need a tenant who wants to play at the top level, if they chose to not let PR near the place I'm sure there would be someone else willing to run it, who maybe wouldn't make us the circus that we are at the moment.
There may be some truth here, and may explain why there is a seemingly poorly orchestrated campaign to undermine the ownership.

Yes the ownership do themselves no favours in some regards, but every little mistake is thrown up and every minor little good move is ignored or attempted to be buried.

It's a shame that people who claim to love the team are so intent on damaging it just before we get to our new home.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Not all people are sheep and follow the flock. Some of us have minds of our own and will make our own decisions.

Statements have been made that i know personally have been lies.

Not sure if your the mod that lives away but i am long term season ticket holder and as such many of my friends are in the same position. If you go to the rink the main topic of conversation is how Brent is ruining the club. The number of people who have said that they will not be renewing their ST unless things change is amazing.

Granted the timing isnt brilliant but surely Ragan would rather know now how many people are unhappy whilst he still has time to rectify things. Vilifying them or calling them militia certainly is'nt helping him.

This is a peaceful protest not affecting the clubs finances in anyway. Its just our way of showing that it nots just 20-30 fans who he so easily seems to dismiss.

So it's been over a week since the first phase of the new rink has begun, boarding, builders huts etc. I haven't been down the bay in a long while so what's the progress like? Anything new going on down there?

Gwynfor said:
So it's been over a week since the first phase of the new rink has begun, boarding, builders huts etc. I haven't been down the bay in a long while so what's the progress like? Anything new going on down there?
Hey, pretty much as you've said and there's also been a digger on site presumably doing some preparatory work. The encouraging thing is so far it's exactly as stated by Pooneil :)

Ocko

Question for SORAC and/or Greenbank; I was discussing the capacity with a friend recently and I understand it to be 3,100 from the plans. Does that include hospitality? If so is the hospitality area incorporated into the normal seating (like block 6 in the BBT, you have your drinks/food then walk down to normal seats)?

Ocko said:
Question for SORAC and/or Greenbank; I was discussing the capacity with a friend recently and I understand it to be 3,100 from the plans. Does that include hospitality? If so is the hospitality area incorporated into the normal seating (like block 6 in the BBT, you have your drinks/food then walk down to normal seats)?
There is a total of 3000 seats and that includes hospitality, the hospitality seats are directly in front of the boxes

davew

legal opinion said:
chris hartrey said:
Sheincar said:
Topical question - are there curling pads?
yes there are 4 curling lanes on the second pad.
Oh dear, as curling ice requires grit within its surface, this would mean the second pad is a non ice skating pad as it cannot be used for both?

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/why-curling-ice-is-different-than-other-ice-180949752/
Perhaps someone needs to research their facts first. Pics of both Fife and Dundee attached.

Sheincar

legal opinion said:
chris hartrey said:
Sheincar said:
Topical question - are there curling pads?
yes there are 4 curling lanes on the second pad.
Oh dear, as curling ice requires grit within its surface, this would mean the second pad is a non ice skating pad as it cannot be used for both?

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/why-curling-ice-is-different-than-other-ice-180949752/
Even the article you've linked to doesn't say grit is required!
From THF:
In ice rinks where curling is played the sheet is 'pebbled' by the rink staff using a type of shower head upright attached to a small water tank carried by the staff. By swaying the head side to side when walking backwards the sheet will be 'pebbled' allowing rocks to curl. The Zamboni can remove the pebbling with a dry cut then resurface the ice normally for hockey.

Ocko

Sheincar is 100% correct. After having a bash at curling whilst on a hockey tour in Canada last year I can confirm there is no grit in the ice and that it is pebbled, and that was on a dedicated curling pad. Although I would add that it would probably take a few good cuts with the zamboni to get it back to normal, plus curling requires a real pristine ice pad so at least the ice in the new rink will probably be kept nice.

Once we get the facility I'd recommend anyone to give it a go, its great fun but an awful lot harder than it looks.