Latest rink update

Ocko

WelshHabsFan said:
Ocko said:
6x2m benches does not work out to be 16m sq (which is what is in the detailed plans) and does sound a bit small :?
It's 6 metres by 2 metres: 6 along the ice and 2 back from it. It'll be grand.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
That isn't what I meant. I understand what 6x2 means but the detailed plans have the size of the bench as 16m2 which doesn't work out as 6x2, more like 8x2. I know its picky but I don't think 6m is long enough for a bench, especially if we run with 4 lines. It has to be big enough for at least 13 players, 3 forward lines and 4 D assuming one full line is on the ice, plus a goalie. A 3 seater sofa is 2m so the length of 3 go those, it just doesn't sound big enough to me. Especially when you allow for equipment and some breathing space because we won't be able to spill off the end of the bench like what happens now because it will be enclosed I imagine.

Ocko

I've just laughed at that last post I made because how trivial it is, but in a sense its a good thing because it proves how close things are that the final detailed are being discussed. At the moment its the only thing I am excited about hockey wise so thanks to SORAC and Greenbank for getting it to this stage so far!

Ocko said:
I've just laughed at that last post I made because how trivial it is, but in a sense its a good thing because it proves how close things are that the final detailed are being discussed. At the moment its the only thing I am excited about hockey wise so thanks to SORAC and Greenbank for getting it to this stage so far!
Amen brother. It's nice to debate something trivial for a change!

To continue being picky then, imagine 2 metres is a rather tall man, 6 metres is three on them on each other's heads. I'm 1.8 metres, 6 foot.

I'm seeing one player sat on my shins, one on my thighs, one on my belly, one on my chest and head. That makes 12 players in 3x 6metres, bit of a squeeze with hockey gear on but hey it's cold by the ice. That gives us 3 x 20cms spare so we'd get another player or two there and there's your team.

You are right though: if we roll 4 lines they'll want to get along very well!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

elliswf said:
Update from the Devils' site:

The Smart Solutions Cardiff Devils are delighted to inform fans of the latest news regarding our new permanent home.

Following an encouraging update meeting last night (October 30th) between Cardiff Devils Chairman Paul Ragan and Greenbank Partnerships Jonathan Smith (Development Director) and Chris Hartrey (Ice Arena Wales Operations Director) we can now bring you further details of the developments progression.

To summarise the following points were clarified.

- Ice Arena Wales Planned start date 20/1/14

- Cardiff Devils Planned move in date 26/6/2015

- A Total of 3000 seats in the arena

- 4 corporate boxes (24m sq each)

- 53m sq Gym

- 58m sq Dance Studio

- 60x30m Main Ice Pad for Ice Hockey and Figure Skating

- Bar 300m sq (Cater for 300 people)

- 6m x 2m Player Bench

- 70m sq Devils Changing Room

- Separate Devils VIP Entrance & Office

- 4m x 2m Video Scoreboard (4 sided)

The Countdown is now on and we look forward to starting the 2015/16 Season in our new home.
( http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/devils-news/ice-arena-wales-update/ )
Seriously......you are all looking at the details without looking at the fact that the details mean nothing until someone sticks a spade in the ground and starts building the thing.

When ground is broken...that is the time to worry about the size of changing rooms or ice pads or benches......................or whatever really!

What I am saying is........Let us all get behind the building of the arena. Start making a noise that building needs to begin now!

Just my humble opinion of course.

James said:
http://www.icearenawales.co.uk/ the website for the new venue is now online.
Interesting that the operators get to sell all of the on ice logos and all of the boards, so where is all of the new arena income that PR keeps on about coming from ?

This is going to be a wonderful facility for the city but not a golden goose for the Devils.

Please note that PR did negotiation for the Devils and not SORAC who concentrated on all other ice users as The Devils is the business of PR

James

Administrator
Very true. They are however using the fact that the sponsorship would be prominent with Elite League hockey fairly strongly within their advertising pitch as well as using the Devils logo so you would hope there was some agreement somewhere

James said:
Very true. They are however using the fact that the sponsorship would be prominent with Elite League hockey fairly strongly within their advertising pitch as well as using the Devils logo so you would hope there was some agreement somewhere
They need to make as much from the facility as possible, in fairness its a big investment and they need to make cash to maintain it and keep it in good order

Wannabe2

Thread starter #351
Well guys after 7 very long years of meetings, negotiations, haggling and some very straight talking the light is finally shining, and thank god for that. Has it all been worth it, you bet your sweet arse it has, Cardiff will finally get nothing more than it deserves, a venue thats good enough to stand beside the pool and the white water rafting in a truelly beautiful site. In fairness the BBT has in some ways been a good home to us, but now we are on our way to a venue everyone deserves and hallelulya to that, one more season in the old gaff, then pack your suitcases guys and girls the red army will be on the move.
Happy Hockey Days.

Ocko

jodysstillagirlsname said:
James said:
Interesting that the operators get to sell all of the on ice logos and all of the boards, so where is all of the new arena income that PR keeps on about coming from ?

This is going to be a wonderful facility for the city but not a golden goose for the Devils.

Please note that PR did negotiation for the Devils and not SORAC who concentrated on all other ice users as The Devils is the business of PR
That is an interesting point, and definitely a worry. I understand we wont be getting the easy ride of no ice fees in the new facility that we currently get, so at a guess we would have to fill the rink to cover the difference in ice time costs to operate the team at their current level. Which is budget it still someway off the top teams. With not all the sponsorship going to the Cardiff Devils org I also cant see it being the golden goose that it is made out to be.

I think to raise a team that will compete with the likes of Nottingham and Belfast you need the EIHL to run and operate the rink in which the play unless you have a large capacity that can attract similar crowds to the aforementioned, which the new arena does not have (I'm not saying that is a bad thing as I think anything bigger is beyond our ability to fill).

Please dont see this as a downer on the rink, it isnt at all - just a concern for the hockey team that will play in it. I think we will have a top class facility that all teams (with the exception of the Panthers) will be envious of. Whatever level the Cardiff Devils team are operating at it will be fantastic to finally watch a game that you can see the majority of the ice, not be freezing, have decent food etc - and it wont line Planet Ice's pockets. It will be a complete different experience to watching it in a badly made shed.

Ocko said:
James said:

That is an interesting point, and definitely a worry. I understand we wont be getting the easy ride of no ice fees in the new facility that we currently get, so at a guess we would have to fill the rink to cover the difference in ice time costs to operate the team at their current level. Which is budget it still someway off the top teams. With not all the sponsorship going to the Cardiff Devils org I also cant see it being the golden goose that it is made out to be.

I think to raise a team that will compete with the likes of Nottingham and Belfast you need the EIHL to run and operate the rink in which the play unless you have a large capacity that can attract similar crowds to the aforementioned, which the new arena does not have (I'm not saying that is a bad thing as I think anything bigger is beyond our ability to fill).

Please dont see this as a downer on the rink, it isnt at all - just a concern for the hockey team that will play in it. I think we will have a top class facility that all teams (with the exception of the Panthers) will be envious of. Whatever level the Cardiff Devils team are operating at it will be fantastic to finally watch a game that you can see the majority of the ice, not be freezing, have decent food etc - and it wont line Planet Ice's pockets. It will be a complete different experience to watching it in a badly made shed.
I was under the impression that the devils would still get free ice time in the new rink?
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Koop11

The concerns raised regarding the revenue streams (sponsorship boards, ice, etc) are legitimate ones for the Cardiff Devils owner. I would suggest however that there is potential in terms of hospitality and of course bigger crowds which new facilities do tend to attract. That might cover the shortfalls of sponsorship that will be lost to the arena.

I think where the club will automatically have added value is when playing out of a decent facility. The Cardiff Devils playing out of the BBT at Elite League level is as a business that you would not touch. The Cardiff Devils playing out of a purpose build arena that is both comfortable and attractive to players, the viewing public and sponsors alike has massive potential and therefore would be worth something.

If the available revenue streams for the club do not prove to be fruitful under the proposed arrangements with the lease holder of the new arena, then the sale of the Cardiff Devils I feel could be a profitable one if a potential new owner feels that can attractive better revenues. This might include a better agreement with the leaseholder.

Whether the current owner or a future owner , the key is potential. Potential = value.

mp43 said:
I was under the impression that the devils would still get free ice time in the new rink?

The Devils Elite League team will get free ice time for matches and 4 x 2hr training sessions per week under the agreement

Ocko

mp43 said:

The Devils Elite League team will get free ice time for matches and 4 x 2hr training sessions per week under the agreement
That is good news for the EIHL team and will make a massive difference to the budget of the team.

Although I dont suspect the Devils will get 100% of the sponsorship, I also dont think that they will not benefit from it. IAW will obviously use the Devils logo and marketing ability of having an EIHL team playing there as well as the biggest footfall coming from games, to entice sponsors so surely the club will be entitled to a cut? Although the ownership of the logo and the naming rights is another debate altogether! :lol:

Wannabe2

Thread starter #358
Sorac would never have settled for giving up free ice time for the Devils, thats one of the things we fought for in the BBT and the new gaff. Greenbank will give us a facility to be proud of, Chris Hartrey will bring his vast experience in operating our new home, things are finally looking kushti, thats pretty neat to young people.

Looking good, thanks to all for all their hard work. May I ask though what the situation will be with parking, as I am under the impression that the car park opposite the swimming pool will be dug up for housing? A first class facility deserves decent parking arrangements.

Ocko said:
That is good news for the EIHL team and will make a massive difference to the budget of the team.

Although I dont suspect the Devils will get 100% of the sponsorship, I also dont think that they will not benefit from it. IAW will obviously use the Devils logo and marketing ability of having an EIHL team playing there as well as the biggest footfall coming from games, to entice sponsors so surely the club will be entitled to a cut? Although the ownership of the logo and the naming rights is another debate altogether! :lol:
In relation to the first point, I believe the Devils do currently get free ice time at Elite League level for games and training. Plus they currently get the benefits of the sponsorship opportunities (Ice, Boards, Stands etc)
In the new rink they'll get the ice time but none of that sponsorship. Jersey, Players, Match Sponsorship will still remain. (One would imagine)

When you mention the Devils bringing the biggest footfall, I'm not quite so sure. Of course it's a portal into the facility, but when you account for the number of Rec, Junior, Uni hockey teams as well as the numerous figure skating clubs and general skating, you're looking at Devils fans being a smaller percentage.

As for the club being entitled to a cut, I don't believe they're putting any money into the facility.. Although I'm sure they can go and play in one of the other state of the art venues and try get a cut ;-)