Latest rink update

osh

Pooneil said:
Obviously Osh I bow down to your obvious experience as a Captain of the property and construction industries, but I can't understand where you get the moral right to criticise a company that is trying to create a tangible sporting legacy for Cardiff: not only for the Devils, but for all if the Ice Community including all the amateurs and children who pay their money for the love of the sport.

Most of the delays occurred long before Greenbank's involvement. Greenbank only received planning permission on 17 June, and have committed to commence a build out of the Arena within 6 months of this. Compare that with other development in Cardiff such as Bayscape and the Glass Needle. All the more exceptional when Greenbank knows it may lose £13m on the project.

Although Paul Ragan may feel this affects his 'business', there are wider concerns for the development: namely, making it fit for purpose for all users, including new users for curling, speed skating and, most importantly to me, children and the disabled. We have to cost out every plug, light fitting, seat, refrigeration unit and suchlike with subcontractors and, like it or not, this takes time.

It's no crime to be ignorant, but when ignorance is expressed so forcefully, one has to question your motives. It is essential that this development moves forward and that people understand the issues.

Best wishes
Sarcasm does you no favours Pooneil. I haven't at any time laid any blame at Greenbank's door. I haven't criticised Greenbank (you ) at any time. Obviously I have hit a nerve by merely suggesting the delays since the original opening in May 2014 news!!

Yes. Yes you have. Everyone is working incredibly hard to provide the facility. We don't expect gratitude, but could do without continual recriminations. It blunts enthusiasm which does the development no favours.

osh

Pooneil said:
Yes. Yes you have. Everyone is working incredibly hard to provide the facility. We don't expect gratitude, but could do without continual recriminations. It blunts enthusiasm which does the development no favours.
As you are in panto mode, oh no I haven't ! Please show me where I have directly criticised Greenbank. If me mentioning continued delays blunts your enthusiasm, so be it. This really is my last post on this continued delay saga ( for now ) I'm sure others will have something to say later on as well.

voth26

you can understand people being disappointed that we wont be in the new barn next season though, when from the outset the date being banded around was 14/15 season and it would take approximately 16 months, now for what ever reason and im not throwing stones at anyones glass house that isnt going to happen people are bound to ask questions and want answers, in my humble opinion there are a few posters taking things personnelly so im guessing they work for companies involved??. anyhows one day we will have a new barn

Koop11

In fairness to Osh, despite his aggressive approach, he raises a fair point and that is simply pointing out that there is a further delay with the dates we were led to believe were December 2014. Clearly from Greenbank’s point of view, this December 2014 was never on the agenda but us novices understood otherwise. I small breakdown of communication I feel but certainly not Greenbank’s fault.

I welcome Pooneil’s updates as he gives clear explanation to the situation, something I would suggest that Greenback are not obliged to do. I must confess that I am concerned to read of the suggestion that Greenbank knows it may lose £13m on the project. That doesn’t fill me with confidence that all aspects of the project will be fulfilled.

We have come a long way as a skating community to build healthy relationships and get to where we are now. We are so close, yet so far. Let’s give everyone the benefit of the doubt and wait until December/January. If nothing has happened then or is slowly transpires that the only priority is Pilote housing development then we can start asking some serious questions. As things stand though, the suggestion is that Greenbank are on target for their build timetable.

mazza03

Koop11 said:
In fairness to Osh, despite his aggressive approach, he raises a fair point and that is simply pointing out that there is a further delay with the dates we were led to believe were December 2014. Clearly from Greenbank’s point of view, this December 2014 was never on the agenda but us novices understood otherwise. I small breakdown of communication I feel but certainly not Greenbank’s fault.

I welcome Pooneil’s updates as he gives clear explanation to the situation, something I would suggest that Greenback are not obliged to do. I must confess that I am concerned to read of the suggestion that Greenbank knows it may lose £13m on the project. That doesn’t fill me with confidence that all aspects of the project will be fulfilled.

We have come a long way as a skating community to build healthy relationships and get to where we are now. We are so close, yet so far. Let’s give everyone the benefit of the doubt and wait until December/January. If nothing has happened then or is slowly transpires that the only priority is Pilote housing development then we can start asking some serious questions. As things stand though, the suggestion is that Greenbank are on target for their build timetable.
Good post

Pooneil said:
I have to be honest, if your not looking for criticism then this forum is not for you even if you were trying to be helpful and also if a couple of posts on a forum can affect the progress of the development then I have massive concerns for this project.
when people have such a passion for the sport that is affected by the news that results in us being in the dump that is the bbt for another season you cannot but expect some disappointed responses.

Heard something yesterday that made me double take and think s**t, coming from a reliable source and someone who is currently working in our rink. Apologies if this is already mentioned. Apparently the first brick of our new ground won't be laid until all of the pointe apartments are finished and 70 are sold. This could take anywhere upto 36 months? Is someone able to clarify if that is true? Hopenot we'd had a few beers tho! :D

Koop11

I’ve heard this suggested a couple of times but with little evidence to support the claim. It has however always been in the back of my head that ‘phase one’ was in reality not the new rink but purely the Pointe housing development. That aspect of the project has certainly taken priority with very quick development underway. If however the rest of the ISV is solely reliant on the sale of all properties than we could potentially be waiting a very long time for our new home. I guess the only saving grace at the moment is the apparent rebirth in the housing market which has been very stagnant for a number of years.

This suggestion does support the comment that Pooneil made previous about a potential loss of £13m on the project which was very concerning to read. Should this suggestion gain any further weight, it would be interesting to see whether Greenbank chose to confirm or deny whether that is indeed the situation.

I guess we wait evermore patiently until Dec/Jan to see whether there is a delay in the build of the new rink. They certainly aren’t going to sell all plots by then.

No, that rumour is not true: I can't even conceive how it came about. Nothing has changed in the programme since my last post. The intention is still very much to be on site in January, which co-incides with the show home opening on Cardiff Pointe.

Regards

the devil himself said:
Heard something yesterday that made me double take and think s**t, coming from a reliable source and someone who is currently working in our rink. Apologies if this is already mentioned. Apparently the first brick of our new ground won't be laid until all of the pointe apartments are finished and 70 are sold. This could take anywhere upto 36 months? Is someone able to clarify if that is true? Hopenot we'd had a few beers tho! :D
I am surprised at the above quote as the management and staff at BBT are constantly being updated on the progress of the new ice arena, as pooneil states the start date is still on target and he should know.
I am with the developers, contractors, architects, consultant engineers etc, etc, on a daily basis who are working tirelessly to achieve the deadlines set out and Greenbank are totally committed to developing the ice arena, with or without house sales.

On another note when i pass on information to the inferno such as the draft images last week, its so everyone can get a feel for what the arena will look like so its disappointing when certain people on this forum rubbish it, i believe you have to question their integrity especially as they hide behind a user name. The images are just artist impressions but i think they give a good insight to how it will look, and when i get the final ones i will get them posted.

A Few Facts
The rink will be built. Fact
The start date is still on target. Fact
Twin pad 3000 seats. Fact
The rink is called IAW (Ice Arena Wales) Fact
Operator contracts have been signed. Fact
Web site WWW.icearenawales.co.uk is under development. Fact
Greenbank are fully committed to building the ice arena. Fact

If you want to know any more facts just ask!!! I don't do fiction

Thank you for the update chris, much appreciated. Tbh the pictures look awesome! Can't wait to get in there now :) atat least we're still on track that's the main thing. Fully believe that with a new rink and all the hype that will surround the opening plus hopefully winning something before then and with the extra accommodation in the area, we have a good chance of regular near capacity games.

Pooneil said:
No, that rumour is not true: I can't even conceive how it came about. Nothing has changed in the programme since my last post. The intention is still very much to be on site in January, which co-incides with the show home opening on Cardiff Pointe.

Regards

Thank you very much for the confirmation Jonathan.

I am very pleased to see the situation has changed as at the recent meetings and presentations regarding the rink my personal conversations with your staff had me believing that the housing issue was very much linked to the rink. I sadly did not have enough time to get round to talking to yourself in person so it is very nice to know everything is still on track.

I think we can all agree this is the most important move in Devils history, and one that has been so many years in the making we can forgive fans for being a little apprehensive when hearing bad news, especially with all the false starts over the years.

I just hope the next stage is that Greenbank will be talking with Paul Ragan and the rest of the off ice staff to make the new home extremely special.

The rink is going to be a top class facility and one that could give us the backbone to develop from a mid table team to one that challenges for honours.

It's been a long journey and we're almost there, but it's Cardiff ice sports and things don't always go according to plan, remember the Lightning that tore down one of the BBT arches?

Realistically, I think it wise to add a few months onto the planned finish date (In our own minds) as to not be disappointed. Although as pointed out, it's a facility we want to be proud of and we won't see another one in our lifetime so it's important that everything is done to make it fit for purpose for ALL ice users.

Although a webcam to watch the progress as was done for the BBT would be nice when construction does start, maybe something to consider?

Hi Sebastien

I'm sure everyone appreciates the intentions and enthusiasm behind the Facebook page, but please bear in mind that Ice Arena Wales is a registered and trademarked name, and the name of the Operations Company that will be running the new rink. The rights to these rest ultimately with Greenbank. With the utmost respect, it has nothing to do with Paul Ragan, so his approval really carries no weight: indeed, I'm surprised he did not inform you of these facts when you discussed this with him.

For the time being at least, could you please add a disclaimer that makes it plain you have no formal affiliation with the operations company or the new rink, and that any views expressed on the page are your own? I would not like anyone to think that the posts on the Facebook page in any way represent the policies or views of the developer, the operating company or its staff.

Sorry if this comes across a bit heavy handed- I'm not intending to be, but I think we need to avoid any possible misunderstandings now. Like I say, it's great that people are taking an active interest in the development.

Regards

Pooneil said:
Hi Sebastien

I'm sure everyone appreciates the intentions and enthusiasm behind the Facebook page, but please bear in mind that Ice Arena Wales is a registered and trademarked name, and the name of the Operations Company that will be running the new rink. The rights to these rest ultimately with Greenbank. With the utmost respect, it has nothing to do with Paul Ragan, so his approval really carries no weight: indeed, I'm surprised he did not inform you of these facts when you discussed this with him.

For the time being at least, could you please add a disclaimer that makes it plain you have no formal affiliation with the operations company or the new rink, and that any views expressed on the page are your own? I would not like anyone to think that the posts on the Facebook page in any way represent the policies or views of the developer, the operating company or its staff.

Sorry if this comes across a bit heavy handed- I'm not intending to be, but I think we need to avoid any possible misunderstandings now. Like I say, it's great that people are taking an active interest in the development.

Regards

indeed he didnt tell me anything.
I am more than happy adding up a disclaimer somewhere...
I'll do that ASAP.
Thanks