Kelman comments on Hendrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooney#16

DevilDom said:
The whole issue of whether this should be dealt with on ice / off ice thing is a smokescreen for me. If you believe someone has wronged you and you have the opportunity to gain some comeback for that I don't believe many people would turn that opportunity down. It is human nature.
Yes but in our working professional lives do we all have to exhibit more self control and discipline than to act on pure human nature. God knows I do. Hendo is a professional. He has an obligation to show the same self control in not instigating that fight. I'm suddenly going to cut a pro hockey player a massive amount of slack and not criticise him for being unable to control himself to a level millions of people manage to do everyday.

Hey if Lordo had hit someone from behind or cheap shoted Hendo or a Clan player. Even just bumped or run Hendo then he's perfectly entitled to give Lordo a pasting. That is hockey. But when the whistle has gone and you skate over to deliberately give Lordo a shot a provoke a fight in relation that nothing that just happened during that opening shift. That's not being a hockey player. That's just being an undisciplined prat. Hendo could have the maximum justification in the world and I'd sympathise with him if that was the case but he still can't go out and start that fight.

Have Hope#35

DevilDom said:
There was booing in the 3rd when Todd asked if there was any noise from the Clan fans.

There was also definitely booing when their MOM was announced and they skated off the ice. I sit in Block 8 and it came from elements in that block as well as Blocks 7 and 9. I couldn't tell if it also came from blocks further away from me.
I sit in Block 8 too... There was booing at Hendrikx at the end of the game, I will give you that one! Not sure I heard any other real booing other than after the Lord - Hendrikx fight, but again that was aimed at Hendrikx. I didn't hear anything other than applause for the Braehead MOM, who I thought played his role excellent on the night!

DevilDom

Mooney#16 said:
DevilDom said:
The whole issue of whether this should be dealt with on ice / off ice thing is a smokescreen for me. If you believe someone has wronged you and you have the opportunity to gain some comeback for that I don't believe many people would turn that opportunity down. It is human nature.
Yes but in our working professional lives do we all have to exhibit more self control and discipline than to act on pure human nature. God knows I do. Hendo is a professional. He has an obligation to show the same self control in not instigating that fight. I'm suddenly going to cut a pro hockey player a massive amount of slack and not criticise him for being unable to control himself to a level millions of people manage to do everyday.

Hey if Lordo had hit someone from behind or cheap shoted Hendo or a Clan player. Even just bumped or run Hendo then he's perfectly entitled to give Lordo a pasting. That is hockey. But when the whistle has gone and you skate over to deliberately give Lordo a shot a provoke a fight in relation that nothing that just happened during that opening shift. That's not being a hockey player. That's just being an undisciplined prat. Hendo could have the maximum justification in the world and I'd sympathise with him if that was the case but he still can't go out and start that fight.
I heard that Finnerty praised Hendrikx in his interview after the game. Have you ever thought that it may have been part of Finnerty's game plan to use the bad feeling to go after our player coach? Is that not a tactic used by many an opposition coach in the past?

It's easy to be all high and mighty and judgemental without knowing the ins and outs!

ASHIPP

Have Hope#35 said:
DevilDom said:
There was booing in the 3rd when Todd asked if there was any noise from the Clan fans.

There was also definitely booing when their MOM was announced and they skated off the ice. I sit in Block 8 and it came from elements in that block as well as Blocks 7 and 9. I couldn't tell if it also came from blocks further away from me.
I sit in Block 8 too... There was booing at Hendrikx at the end of the game, I will give you that one! Not sure I heard any other real booing other than after the Lord - Hendrikx fight, but again that was aimed at Hendrikx. I didn't hear anything other than applause for the Braehead MOM, who I thought played his role excellent on the night!
I also sit in Block 8. I can assure you that the booing, calling out ' Cardiff reject' etc came from that block, plus Blocks 7 and 9 - shameful behaviour.

Perhaps those Devils' fans can show their class next time by just letting it go.
It's a matter between a former player and the club. It should be resolved by them.

Mooney#16

I'm not being high and mighty. I'm not having a pop at Hendo on any personal level. But I am having a pop for a really poor decision on his behalf. The ins and outs count for jack. I'm not saying I'm team Lordo or team Hendo in there arguement. It's not my business. However watching a hockey player cheapen the game to that of a common assault on a previous boss. Yes I will have a pop at that. And that in isolation. When fighting is such a hot topic and god knows I'm an advocate of it staying in the game. That incident plays straight into the anti fighting camp.

And if that was any game plan of Finnerty's it was either crassly executed or just plain stupid. And would that explain the hand shake. No. I think your clutching there.

Have Hope#35

ASHIPP said:
Have Hope#35 said:
DevilDom said:

I also sit in Block 8. I can assure you that the booing, calling out ' Cardiff reject' etc came from that block, plus Blocks 7 and 9 - shameful behaviour.

Perhaps those Devils' fans can show their class next time by just letting it go.
I have no issue with the booing towards Hendrikx, that has nothing to do with class... Felt it was justified after his total unprofessionalism and it can be expected in Sport if someone is going to behave like that! The Cardiff Reject chant was slightly harsh imo but again Hendrikx hardly covered himself in glory... When a player acts in the right way he gets the kind of response that Clarkson got when he returned home, but for Hendrikx's actions recently it could've been the same for him.

DevilDom

Mooney#16 said:
I'm not being high and mighty. I'm not having a pop at Hendo on any personal level. But I am having a pop for a really poor decision on his behalf. The ins and outs count for jack. I'm not saying I'm team Lordo or team Hendo in there arguement. It's not my business. However watching a hockey player cheapen the game to that of a common assault on a previous boss. Yes I will have a pop at that. And that in isolation. When fighting is such a hot topic and god knows I'm an advocate of it staying in the game. That incident plays straight into the anti fighting camp.

And if that was any game plan of Finnerty's it was either crassly executed or just plain stupid. And would that explain the hand shake. No. I think your clutching there.
I'm not clutching at all. Finnerty is well known for making things ugly when he thinks he can achieve a result by doing so. Finnerty also believes Lord instigated the fight - have you ever thought that Lord thought it would be coming and wanted to get it out of the way? Maybe that is why he iced himself 1st shift when Hendrikx was out? The point is, you don't know why he did it. I am in neither Team Lord or Team Hendrikx either. I think both players deserve some respect for what they have done for the club.

The handshake? Meh, couldn't care less. There are many people in this world I wouldn't shake their hand if offered to me. Anyway, I'll leave it at that. I respect your opinion but have a slightly different view on it all.

terry hunt

I am still convinced Finnerty was partly or fully behind this.

They had been convincingly turned over by the Panthers the day before so i suspect he wound

them up i think his comments on the EIHL site today confirm this.

Welcome to UK hockey guys not as easy as you thought.

Have Hope#35

Tomas Kurka has just displayed support on Twitter for Hendrikx decision not to shake hand with Lord... Curious...
He was the biggest disappointment of last season for me! Don't think he ever really got over being healthy scratch for that game or two when we started carrying an extra.

Kal

Wouldn't be surprised if this was all a play by Finnerty to get in Lords head. Kurka didn't deserve to come back, most overrated player last season in my opinion.

I am really surprised that TK got involved on social media as he is usually quite reserved. Might have helped if he'd have tweeted the right person tho lol

august04

It's a matter between a former player and the club. It should be resolved by them.
Shameful behaviour?! That was nothing compared to stuff I've seen and heard at hockey games all over the country for the past 30 years. It's a tough, passionate game which sometimes manifests itself in crowd behaviour and no matter how high and mighty you get, that ain't going to change - nor should it, as long as crowds don't take it extremes (which the Cardiff crowd didn't in my opinion on Sunday and which thankfully isn't that common at hockey games). And if it was a matter between a former player and the club which should be resolved by them alone, then that former player shouldn't have played out his grievances in front of 3000 people. Did you really expect him to be cheered to the rafters after that petulant display? He got exactly what he deserved on the night. He's cooked his goose as far as I'm concerned and I will be booing him next time he's in IAW too. I suspect I won't be alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.