Kelman comments on Hendrix

Status
Not open for further replies.
StevenBletsoe said:
This whole insinuation that Hendrikx has been "wronged" by the organisation is really starting to get a little tedious. The supposition that Todd and Lordo treat players badly which leads to bad blood.

Here's a question for you for those questioning the management style employed by the Devils regime. How many players have we "let go" mid season and dumped due to them not fitting in since the new regime took control? I have it standing at Zero. How many players have we retained and supported whilst having serious injury? I have it as every single one of them. Let's go back not too long ago to a time when a Goalie had to take legal action against our organisation to get money he was promised, a situation that possible led to the fantastic management team we have now taking over.

In all of my dealings with every level of staff or management at the current Devils organisation there is a level of professionalism and integrity. I in my working life have dealt with a great many sporting organisations all around the country, with the players and the players organisations who represent them. I have seen many underhand dealings, to the detriment of the players, where their livelihoods have not been best looked after. This Devils organisation is up there with the best run I have ever witnessed and the way they look after players is second to none.

If there has been a "falling out" so be it, but to even question how the Devils look after their players is very wide of the mark and Hendrikx last night showed a lack of class.

Devil_Abroad

Ivydrive said:
I'm obviously in the minority here. For me, Hendos actions weren't those of a professional hockey player who simply hadn't been re signed by his team. I know various members of the Devils have gone public on the matter but to be honest, i'm not sure i believe they're telling the whole story. Hendos version of events is likely quite different.
I don't know the truth, none of us ever will. We weren't there when the text(s) was sent or in the locker room when he was a healthy scratch last season or know what he was promised in the off season. If the rumours i've heard are true then you cant blame him for being pretty annoyed. To be honest, id be annoyed as a Devils fan if they were true.

I just don't like seeing a guy get hung, drawn and quartered without trial and as i said above, his actions make me think that there is probably some truth to the rumours.

Either way, it adds a bit of extra spice to the Clan fixtures this season which can only be good for ticket sales so in an indirect way, he's doing the organisation a favour.
So are we saying a player should be able to fight another on the ice when the fight has nothing to do with what's happened on the ice? I.e. You could liken it to a 'legitimate' street fight? So if Lord wasn't icing Hendrikx should be allowed to skate over to the bench or the dressing room and have a go?

I know that sounds silly but if Hendrikx wants to fight someone because of the way he was treated by them we're agreeing that he can fight them anywhere - not just on the ice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

Koop11 said:
Hendo is clearly upset by the way he feels he was treated. My guess is that it’s not so much about the fact he wasn’t offered a contract but maybe how the decision eventually came about. Nobody knows for sure and nor should we know. Some things are to be kept private.

No doubt at all Hendo was gunning for Lord but Lord knew it was coming, hence why he and chose to ice himself in the opening shift, perhaps get it out of the way. Bit of a bear hug fest in the end. That should be the end of it.

Not to shake Lord’s hand is a little unprofessional. I don’t agree with that. Nor to I agree with the fans chanting what they did afterwards. He may have left the club in not so friendly terms but he put his heart and sole into this club for 2 years. Hendo was a very good defensive defenceman and played hard for the Devils every night. A true Cardiff Devil but he has now gone. Time for all to move on.
This. 4 pages of speculation/ gossip....in danger of overtaking the number of pages about the actual game! Devils dealt with it the correct way....by winning the game and moving on.

Sliput

Ivydrive said:
I'm obviously in the minority here. For me, Hendos actions weren't those of a professional hockey player who simply hadn't been re signed by his team. I know various members of the Devils have gone public on the matter but to be honest, i'm not sure i believe they're telling the whole story. Hendos version of events is likely quite different.
I don't know the truth, none of us ever will. We weren't there when the text(s) was sent or in the locker room when he was a healthy scratch last season or know what he was promised in the off season. If the rumours i've heard are true then you cant blame him for being pretty annoyed. To be honest, id be annoyed as a Devils fan if they were true.

I just don't like seeing a guy get hung, drawn and quartered without trial and as i said above, his actions make me think that there is probably some truth to the rumours.

Either way, it adds a bit of extra spice to the Clan fixtures this season which can only be good for ticket sales so in an indirect way, he's doing the organisation a favour.
So you are saying we dont know the truth but then you are willing to listen to rumours ?

I wasnt there last night and have no idea what went on before but Janssen and Marsh were perfect examples of how to settle a score and then move on. After the incident in Nottingham , Janssen made a beeline for Marsh and showed him respect which Tyson graciously accepted. THAT is how its done !!

voth26

E.D.S. said:
In Hendrix defence he hasn't been able to share his side of the story and probably won't be able to. What if, just what if, there is cause to be a bit miffed and he chose tonight to take action. Just putting another side out there. I don't know anything but that seemed like quite the reaction or retribution to take. There has to be more too it than just a being asked to leave.
Then the best way would have been to have played out of his skin and had the game of his life, won Clans MOM as if to say to Lord and the Devils this is what you missed out on. for me by fighting and not shaking hands made him look classless and proved the Devils were right not to resign him plus a lot of fans have lost respect for Hendo, even some clan fans sitting by us last night commented on what was the point of him doing what he did. Seems some clan fans didn't want him there in the first place?? Hockey players are used to being cut mid season or not being resigned it goes with the turf of being a pro hockey player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voth26

But by the sounds of it you will listen to Chinese whispers or rumours and hang out Lord with out a "trial" clearly something has gone on, I don't have devils coloured specs before you ask or assume I do, Lord seemed very agitated before his interview last night and for rosehill to level an accusation at Lord of trying to cancel his visa, I assume Lord wouldn't have any influence on rosehills visa application at all. if I'm honest it wouldn't surprise me if FINNERS had something to do with this situation

voth26

StevenBletsoe said:
http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/highlights-and-interviews-sunday-nights-5-1-victory/

Basing on what Lordo says at the start of his interview here, someone is there stirring in the background. Seems that the finger of blame is not being pointed at Hendo but that somebody is ramping up the tension between Rosehill/Hendo and Lord.

Who is opening the book on the culprit?
To answer your question my moneys on finnerty, there i've said it

E.D.S.

voth26 said:
E.D.S. said:
In Hendrix defence he hasn't been able to share his side of the story and probably won't be able to. What if, just what if, there is cause to be a bit miffed and he chose tonight to take action. Just putting another side out there. I don't know anything but that seemed like quite the reaction or retribution to take. There has to be more too it than just a being asked to leave.
Then the best way would have been to have played out of his skin and had the game of his life, won Clans MOM as if to say to Lord and the Devils this is what you missed out on. for me by fighting and not shaking hands made him look classless and proved the Devils were right not to resign him plus a lot of fans have lost respect for Hendo, even some clan fans sitting by us last night commented on what was the point of him doing what he did. Seems some clan fans didn't want him there in the first place?? Hockey players are used to being cut mid season or not being resigned it goes with the turf of being a pro hockey player

I don't disagree but that's not what happened. I'm purely commenting on what I saw and like 99% of people on here I'm speculating/gossiping and have totally no idea but enjoying what the forum has to offer - debate.
Having said that as a player I've been involved in similar situations, I've been the player that's been let go and the one that has benefited from a move. I'm not saying that his happened here but when it's happened to me I've been kept hanging on whilst the club tried to land the player they were really after. If they missed out then I'd get to re-sign but what happened to me was that I was given full disclosure..."we're in the marker for someone else, if we don't get him we'll re-sign you on less favourable terms". I decided to do what most players do and take matters in to my own hand. Conversely I've also been the player on the other end who's been brought in at the last minute whilst they gave the elbow to someone else. It happens, it's sport and to your point, there are better ways to handle it then what played out. For me, I just think something else was at play to warrant that reaction - may be he wasn't informed, may be he was told he was in and then he wasn't, who knows?! but something happened to warrant that reaction as opposed to the 'i'll show them by playing out of my skin' reaction, but again in Hendo's defence, playing out of his skin could mean winning a fight and having a solid game. It's not like he was ever going to score a hat-trick. The other thing that sticks in my head was when he could have buried Jones into the boards.
Jones was in that awkward position where he was five feet from the boards. Hendo caught him square on and could have sent him backwards and head first into the boards. One of those really nasty ones but he, in my opinion, pulled out. He did enough to land a check and disrupt play but he definitely didn't do what Hendo does best. That could be recognition of who the opponent was, could even be deemed a 'classy move' but bottom line he could have done some serious damage and in my opinion chose not to. So not a totally classless fella.
We all call them differently but that was my take on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E.D.S.

ASHIPP said:
Koop11 said:
Hendo is clearly upset by the way he feels he was treated. My guess is that it’s not so much about the fact he wasn’t offered a contract but maybe how the decision eventually came about. Nobody knows for sure and nor should we know. Some things are to be kept private.

No doubt at all Hendo was gunning for Lord but Lord knew it was coming, hence why he and chose to ice himself in the opening shift, perhaps get it out of the way. Bit of a bear hug fest in the end. That should be the end of it.

Not to shake Lord’s hand is a little unprofessional. I don’t agree with that. Nor to I agree with the fans chanting what they did afterwards. He may have left the club in not so friendly terms but he put his heart and sole into this club for 2 years. Hendo was a very good defensive defenceman and played hard for the Devils every night. A true Cardiff Devil but he has now gone. Time for all to move on.
This. 4 pages of speculation/ gossip....in danger of overtaking the number of pages about the actual game! Devils dealt with it the correct way....by winning the game and moving on.

It's ok ASHIPP it's a forum it's what people use it for.

Russky

what winds me up is the squabbling that goes on akin to a kindergarten playpen between posters over the most trivial and banal of issues.

Devil_Abroad said:
Ivydrive said:

So are we saying a player should be able to fight another on the ice when the fight has nothing to do with what's happened on the ice? I.e. You could liken it to a 'legitimate' street fight? So if Lord wasn't icing Hendrikx should be allowed to skate over to the bench or the dressing room and have a go?

I know that sounds silly but if Hendrikx wants to fight someone because of the way he was treated by them we're agreeing that he can fight them anywhere - not just on the ice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No of course not but the game, with both players on the ice gives Hendo the ideal outlet to fight/slash/check Lord if he chooses to. Off the ice it would certainly not be acceptable or correct.

I'm not saying it's correct although from a spectators point of view, i don't mind it. It adds an extra sub plot to the games and as i say, will definitely help sell more tickets.

Sliput said:
Ivydrive said:

So you are saying we dont know the truth but then you are willing to listen to rumours ?
I'm not listening to anything. Im saying i don't know the truth. All of us will make a judgement & have an opinion on what we have seen or heard though. My gut feeling is that theres more to it than has been let on & I felt the reaction from Devils fans towards Hendo last night with a little unfair after he was the heart of our club for the last couple seasons. Others will disagree and that's fine.

Personally i love a bit of a circus subplot to games so am already looking forward to the next Clan game.

Mooney#16

I thought the fans were perfectly entitled in giving Hendo some stick. That is not to say I think anything less of Hendo for his contribution to the Devils.

Hendo came into that game like a bear with a sore head and was out for personal revenge. Was it in relation to an on ice incident Lordo needed to answer for. No it was clearly over a break down in communication between Lordo and Hendo over a contract. Ably assisted by some plank stirring the plot apparently.

Hockey a kin to Rugby and a lot of physical sports prides itself in a players code of conduct and respect in the knowledge you are all putting yourselves in harms way as well. I personally took a really dim view in Hendo breaking that code in bringing an off ice disagreement onto the ice and using the sport to soothe his feeling of ill will. There's no other word for Hendo on Sunday apart from selfish.

The hand shake I can live with. He doesn't respect Lordo anymore. So be it if it makes you feel better to not shake his hand. It's disrespecting the sport to use its rules to allow you to start a fight over at matter baring no relation to the 60 mins of hockey I have an issue with Hendo about. It's a cheap, selfish and unprofessional act no matter how badly you think you've been treated.

As I said. It doesn't detract from thinking Hendo was a great Devil. A very loyal, unselfish and committed player and person for those two years. He hasn't suddenly turned into a different guy. But he has made a serious error in judgement. One I think people and fans are entitled to pick him up for and criticise. If he honestly came out with a statement apologising not to Lordo but to say he embarrassed the game and was sorry to the fans I think in most fans eyes he would quickly regain the respect he badly dented.

DevilDom

I don't see how anyone can judge Hendrikx without knowing the full story or being privy to private conversations he and Lord had. Equally that doesn't mean that Lord or the Devils have done anything wrong. Lord has acted in the best interests of himself as a coach and the Devils as the team he coaches. He has brought in what looks (on first impressions) a better player to replace Hendrikx, that's great for us as Devils fans. I don't know what Hendrikx's beef was about but there is obviously more to it than simply not being offered a new contract. He is a seasoned pro who knows how things in the sport work. I believe Lord and Kelman when they say Devils acted fairly, however there has to have been some breakdown in communication along the way or someone stirring things to Hendrikx which has caused him to feel hard done by.

The whole issue of whether this should be dealt with on ice / off ice thing is a smokescreen for me. If you believe someone has wronged you and you have the opportunity to gain some comeback for that I don't believe many people would turn that opportunity down. It is human nature.

People talking about class and then booing a guy and chanting reject at him? A guy who played his heart out for the club for 2 years, fought whenever called upon, was an instrumental part of turning the team around and was obviously desperate to come back? I find that classless. This wasn't a guy who signed for a rival for a better deal or because he felt he was joining a bigger club.

Whilst we are on the subject of booing, what's with booing the opposition fans, opposition MOM and opposition team off the ice?

Have Hope#35

DevilDom said:
I don't see how anyone can judge Hendrikx without knowing the full story or being privy to private conversations he and Lord had. Equally that doesn't mean that Lord or the Devils have done anything wrong. Lord has acted in the best interests of himself as a coach and the Devils as the team he coaches. He has brought in what looks (on first impressions) a better player to replace Hendrikx, that's great for us as Devils fans. I don't know what Hendrikx's beef was about but there is obviously more to it than simply not being offered a new contract. He is a seasoned pro who knows how things in the sport work. I believe Lord and Kelman when they say Devils acted fairly, however there has to have been some breakdown in communication along the way or someone stirring things to Hendrikx which has caused him to feel hard done by.

The whole issue of whether this should be dealt with on ice / off ice thing is a smokescreen for me. If you believe someone has wronged you and you have the opportunity to gain some comeback for that I don't believe many people would turn that opportunity down. It is human nature.

People talking about class and then booing a guy and chanting reject at him? A guy who played his heart out for the club for 2 years, fought whenever called upon, was an instrumental part of turning the team around and was obviously desperate to come back? I find that classless. This wasn't a guy who signed for a rival for a better deal or because he felt he was joining a bigger club.

Whilst we are on the subject of booing, what's with booing the opposition fans, opposition MOM and opposition team off the ice?
When did this happen?

august04

I didn't hear any booing of opposition fans or their mom. There was some booing as Clan left the ice but heard that many times before, home and away. Nothing unusual especially when things looked like they might kick off after the game when Hendrikx chose to be childish and rightly took stick for it and Rosehill was having a go at Lord. There were also plenty clapping them off the ice too. It takes all sorts!

DevilDom

There was booing in the 3rd when Todd asked if there was any noise from the Clan fans.

There was also definitely booing when their MOM was announced and they skated off the ice. I sit in Block 8 and it came from elements in that block as well as Blocks 7 and 9. I couldn't tell if it also came from blocks further away from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.