Give Brent a chance

Sheincar

jimmy snels said:
But more to the point. The team are playing better than all season. We beat Sheffield and coventry over the xmas period and narrowly missed out to the chavs at home. The December results mean we're gaining on the teams in front. We had a 2000 attendance. We are playing aggressive competitive hockey. Its not constant dump and chase. We seem to try new things. Our young players are getting ice time not just getting splinters. Kurka is by far the best player iv seen since weller left. We have signed a netminder who wants to be here straight from college who looks great. We've entered the European hockey market.

In summary we've had LOADS of positives.

The only negatives a very small few still have is they don't get to have dinner with the coach and players, don't get the inside track on signings and goings on and are carrying on a personal dispute in public to the detriment of everyone in what can only be described as key board warriors attacking the club like rotten apples in a lovely bunch. Its been done to death the g subject. If your that hurt by it still and feel the need to be on twitter slagging off everything or on here putting negatives into every thread why not go to hockey anymore? No one wants you. The club sure as hell don't want you. Why not go support rugby or football if its so bad?
Kurka looks an excellent player, Cook recruited himself so Pope can't claim much credit for that & I've never understood why we signed an injured player in Joonas. He may be brilliant but I've yet to see him play. I've never had dinner with the coach/players other than at club events & regard none as being personal friends so you can stop repeating that aspect of your posts. You've no idea who I am - so what I've no idea who you are. I'm sure the club will be impressed by you telling long standing STH not to go to hockey any more as no one wants us. I'm already having 2nd thoughts about going to CC game as I thought the last home game was dire. Perhaps I'll stop buying a ST next season too.

Paul Sullivan

To say that the 2010-11 season was down to Craig Weller alone is to massively disrespect the incredible seasons of Scott Matzka, Max Birbraer, Tylor Michel, nearly 100 points for Stuart MacRae, the small matter of Jon Pelle's 50+ goals, 20+ Goals from Hilly and Vother....

He didn't play on ALL their lines all season, did he? ;:|

Sure he was an impact player. No doubt. But please, post real perspective and facts not romantic idolisation.

For those saying Kurka is the best player since Weller. Are we including the 21 points in 11 games of Paul Bissonnette (also recruited by some other couple of guys, like Weller was) or does he conveniently get ignored?

Back onto the thread title - I believe Brent has now had his chance. Been supported financially, backed publicly by the owner not undermined, and has enjoyed some great results.The honeymoon is over and the results for the rest of the season will determine his legacy of how the team performed whilst he was stood on the bench.

KaneDevils

Paul Sullivan said:
To say that the 2010-11 season was down to Craig Weller alone is to massively disrespect the incredible seasons of Scott Matzka, Max Birbraer, Tylor Michel, nearly 100 points for Stuart MacRae, the small matter of Jon Pelle's 50+ goals, 20+ Goals from Hilly and Vother....

Sure he was an impact player. No doubt. But please, post real perspective and facts not romantic idolisation.

For those saying Kurka is the best player since Weller. Are we including the 21 points in 11 games of Paul Bissonnette (also recruited by some other couple of guys, like Weller was) or does he conveniently get ignored?

Back onto the thread title - I believe Brent has now had his chance. Been supported financially, backed publicly by the owner not undermined, and has enjoyed some great results.The honeymoon is over and the results for the rest of the season will determine his legacy of how the team performed whilst he was stood on the bench.
Has anyone said it was ALL down to Weller? Try reading what people actually type.
So Brent gets one season does he? How many did G have? Quite a conclusion after so little time in charge.

Sheincar

KaneDevils said:
Paul Sullivan said:

Has anyone said it was ALL down to Weller? Try reading what people actually type.
So Brent gets one season does he? How many did G have? Quite a conclusion after so little time in charge.
How many did G have as coach - none. He was trying to juggle coaching with playing. Brent is juggling hats instead. As we're currently 8.1 down at Nottingham I think Pope has had his chance & shouldn't see out this season let alone coach next season.

Paul Sullivan

KaneDevils said:
The implication is that Weller was the sole difference in that season - his effect on others, his performance, and his COACHING.

On that last point - Craig Weller did the sum total of NO coaching during his time with the Devils. To say otherwise is misinformed or deliberately misleading.

As for how many seasons Brent has - I thought it was his intention to have none? I thought he didn't want the job? Thought Ragan had no intention of making him the Coach?

I can see why the Club's actions may have confused you on this point ;)

Once again we see how claiming a point that criticises a former coach (about Weller coaching) is not challenged for proof, yet a criticism of BP or PR is attacked. Recently I have seen posts about not caring why or how the wins have been coming, as long as they do.

How do those posters feel about Poper's coaching methods right now I wonder? Apparently, the Panthers are less distracted by millinery than the Steelers were.

KaneDevils

As for how many seasons Brent has - I thought it was his intention to have none? I thought he didn't want the job? Thought Ragan had no intention of making him the Coach?
Maybe they changed their minds? We lost 7-0 to Dundee with G as coach, you would of sacked him after that game?
So you say Weller had no impact on tactical decisions, no advice ideas nothing? Maybe, I don't know. Seems unlikely with his knowledge but you might be right.

Paul Sullivan

KaneDevils said:
Maybe they changed their minds? We lost 7-0 to Dundee with G as coach, you would of sacked him after that game?
So you say Weller had no impact on tactical decisions, no advice ideas nothing? Maybe, I don't know. Seems unlikely with his knowledge but you might be right.
There's been a lot of 'changing minds' this season. On some occasions there have even been minds changed prior to the video interviews being issued ;)

And no, after one bad result I would not have sacked my coach. Do you remember the Durham shutout? Seem to remember that worked out OK.

I didn't say he didn't have an impact. I said he didn't do any coaching. For a guy concerned with the accuracy of what is typed you could take your own advice. Weller was an NHL role player, as was Bissonnette. I remember Biz being asked about how the Coyotes ran their Powerplay. His response?
'They don't let me into those meetings!'

All I am saying is let's be realistic. That team was an almost perfect storm, not Craig Weller and some schmucks.

KaneDevils

I haven't said he did any coaching. And I'm surprised our ex DJ knows so much about our training drills not being funny.

"All I am saying is let's be realistic. That team was an almost perfect storm, not Craig Weller and some schmucks."

Again, nobody has suggested that. Wellers presence was the biggest factor in that season, unless you can prove me wrong, I'm sticking to that.

Paul Sullivan

KaneDevils said:
I haven't said he did any coaching. And I'm surprised our ex DJ knows so much about our training drills not being funny.

"All I am saying is let's be realistic. That team was an almost perfect storm, not Craig Weller and some schmucks."

Again, nobody has suggested that. Wellers presence was the biggest factor in that season, unless you can prove me wrong, I'm sticking to that.
I know who coached the team then. I know who isn't coaching it now. I'm not the one ignoring facts to make a point, I am responding to inaccuracies in posts. Just because you don't like the response, doesn't make me wrong. I interviewed, filmed and prepped for my role during many many practise sessions. I also, you know, talk to people who know the facts. I don't ignore opposing views because they don't suit my viewpoint.

But that is several years in the past. The more salient points regarding who is in charge of the team surely relate to our current situation? We had several straight losses and were told 'give Brent a chance'. Then we had several wins and several said we had turned the corner and all seemed well, regardless of the behaviour of the Club.

Now we have had two losses, one of which is massive. How many more would it take before things are shocking again?

My point? Fickle support is pointless. Consistency, united support from the top down and accurate, professional communication to the fan base makes a huge difference to the attendances, and hence the 'business of the Club' while 'moving forward'.

KaneDevils

......... yeah.

Maybe you'd make a good coach.
Not me though, I ignore facts ..........

;:|

Ill just believe everything you tell me.

jimmy snels said:
Maybe if you take a break for the rest of this season then come back to aatch at the new areana but don't get involved with anything other than the game itself you can learn to enjoy the game again.
This is a well made point. And one that I did myself.

I attended all games except the Exhibition games, (Even when abused by the club privately on Twitter) and enjoyed the hockey. G was coach then. I ignored all off ice politics the best I could, up until the fiasco with Gerad's sacking/return to the ice and Popes appointment. I tried so hard, yet there was so much noise, poor publicity and awful PR that there was no way to avoid the off ice things and so I stopped attending. I'm £40 better off a week for it. Do I miss it? Bloody well right. Do I miss seeing Ragans smug face when he realises I'm there? Not a chance.

The matter of the fact is, the management feel they can do what they like and sweep it under the carpet because "They'll still come, they'll want to support the team" which is quite frankly not good enough. I won't be a part of that anymore. I have totally gotten over my love affair with the Devils, and it doesn't hurt to say that. Ask anybody and they'll tell you I ate, slept and breathed Cardiff Devils.

Now, I'll be glad to see the back of it.

Kipper

I think it's a bit unfair to blame Brent's coaching for this result. I believe he was in the USA with his fiance over New year so wouldn't have had much input. I guess someone else was left to do the coaching whilst Brent was away

DevilDom

Kipper said:
I think it's a bit unfair to blame Brent's coaching for this result. I believe he was in the USA with his fiance over New year so wouldn't have had much input. I guess someone else was left to do the coaching whilst Brent was away
:shock: Really?

Another master stroke in foresight and planning by PR to allow this. I wonder if G would have been allowed to do the same?

DevilDom

drummer-sean said:
jimmy snels said:
Maybe if you take a break for the rest of this season then come back to aatch at the new areana but don't get involved with anything other than the game itself you can learn to enjoy the game again.
This is a well made point. And one that I did myself.

I attended all games except the Exhibition games, (Even when abused by the club privately on Twitter) and enjoyed the hockey. G was coach then. I ignored all off ice politics the best I could, up until the fiasco with Gerad's sacking/return to the ice and Popes appointment. I tried so hard, yet there was so much noise, poor publicity and awful PR that there was no way to avoid the off ice things and so I stopped attending. I'm £40 better off a week for it. Do I miss it? Bloody well right. Do I miss seeing Ragans smug face when he realises I'm there? Not a chance.

The matter of the fact is, the management feel they can do what they like and sweep it under the carpet because "They'll still come, they'll want to support the team" which is quite frankly not good enough. I won't be a part of that anymore. I have totally gotten over my love affair with the Devils, and it doesn't hurt to say that. Ask anybody and they'll tell you I ate, slept and breathed Cardiff Devils.

Now, I'll be glad to see the back of it.
This is so true and sad at the same time. This is exactly the same point I am reaching although I haven't yet had the balls to break the relationship!