Give Brent a chance

Mooney#16

I'm busy :D

But seriously and this is no personnal pop at you I think that is a slight Cardiff Devils problem. Kind of living in the past.

I would go completely the other way. Get a guy in with no previous in the UK. The EIHL is a cushie little old pals network when it gets going and I would want someone in who lives and breathes professionalism. Someone with new ideas, tactics and eyes. No pre conceived ideas or history to hinder them. No friends in the stands fighting their corner or romantizing the whole thing. A clean slate. A guy who comes in to be judged on his record and record alone. Who will move players in or out based on performance and no other factor.

I want a guy pushing the boundaries of historical hockey systems trying new things. Leaving no part of the training or pre game preparation to chance and being able to impose his tactics on a game via his players and change them to alternative ones if that is not possible.

In summary I don't want a legend. You want a guy who could become a legend.

Mooney#16

toy_car_uk said:
Darnel and Hicks are qualified to officiate and experienced, they even get invited to IIHF games. Do we debate standards of officiating in this league, particularly regarding the above or do we say everything is rosy?
This will drag it way of topic but I would say that I think people need a reality check also on the officiating. Fans and players. Yes the guys could be better. Alot better and they need to recognise that and work harder on their games particularly in communicating with the players and reading incidents correctly to give the correct outcome not just verbatum penalty awarding for every offence resulting in some bizarre powerplay scenarios. But also I do believe the standard of officiating kind of mirrors the standard of play within the EIHL as a whole. It is not a brilliant league and some of the players forget that sometimes. If they could play a game with zero mistakes in it they quiet possible would be in the show. The same goes for the refs. Yeah they will annoy you. God knows my parents hated paying for Hicksey to have a meal at my wedding but they are trying and without them the league would be a whole lot worse.

Mooney#16 said:
This will drag it way of topic but I would say that I think people need a reality check also on the officiating. Fans and players. Yes the guys could be better. Alot better and they need to recognise that and work harder on their games particularly in communicating with the players and reading incidents correctly to give the correct outcome not just verbatum penalty awarding for every offence resulting in some bizarre powerplay scenarios. But also I do believe the standard of officiating kind of mirrors the standard of play within the EIHL as a whole. It is not a brilliant league and some of the players forget that sometimes. If they could play a game with zero mistakes in it they quiet possible would be in the show. The same goes for the refs. Yeah they will annoy you. God knows my parents hated paying for Hicksey to have a meal at my wedding but they are trying and without them the league would be a whole lot worse.
All the officials (not just the refs) in the EIHL give a hell of a lot to the game and take a lot of stick for it. Frankly, and I doubt this will be popular but I don't think they get the support they deserve all round(players, fans, club, League). I picked on Hicks and Darnel as they are qualified, experienced and also officiate at international level. The point I was making is because someone is qualified to do a job it does not stop us from wanting better.

Moving swiftly back to the topic, Your other points about going for a fresh start with a coach seems a sensible option though it may not gel the fans from the off set, long term it could be healthy for the club and the league. It would also need a very public 'our hands are off' statement, followed by actions from MD and owner.

KaneDevils

Don't confuse my passion for wanting the best for the Devils as hatred for Brent Pope, if you can you quote to me the hatred you believe I have shown I will try to explain my point another way.
My question/post was aimed at everyone, not just yourself.
I can't recall many bad words spoken against Pope until G was dismissed. Perhaps you should read my 1st post on the thread. If you have already, then read it again.

KaneDevils said:
My question/post was aimed at everyone, not just yourself. I can't recall many bad words spoken against Pope until G was dismissed. Perhaps you should read my 1st post on the thread. If you have already, then read it again.
Sorry it wasn't clear that your question wasn't aimed at me, especially when it quotes a post I made. I was offering to clarify what I believed to be your incorrect interpretations of my post nothing more.

KaneDevils

toy_car_uk said:
KaneDevils said:
My question/post was aimed at everyone, not just yourself. I can't recall many bad words spoken against Pope until G was dismissed. Perhaps you should read my 1st post on the thread. If you have already, then read it again.
Sorry it wasn't clear that your question wasn't aimed at me, especially when it quotes a post I made. I was offering to clarify what I believed to be your incorrect interpretations of my post nothing more.
I quote your post on my first comment where you highlight players who have left. I quoted you simply to add Adam Ross to the list.
I then go off on a different tangent.
Think your holding the wrong end of the stick with both hands.

never mind.

I thought most people liked Brent? Where has the anger towards him come from? Do some blame him for pushing G out? Surely it's more than about his hat(s)?
But many wanted a change anyway didn't they?

TheStub

DevilDom said:
Seems like PR is laying the foundations for Brent to continue in the role for next season:

http://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/devil ... ly-review/

:DWD

At least it will make my decision on whether to renew my season ticket a lot easier.
As PR says "it isn't about liking the guy, it's about who can do the bloody job".

At the moment Brent is getting the results that Adams didn't. I really don't care about the supposed differences in support, the facts are the facts. (I'd have liked to see him have a chance behind the desk, but cest la vie).

For me, anyone but Adams going forward - even if it is a season of Pope.

DevilDom

TheStub said:
At the moment Brent is getting the results that Adams didn't. I really don't care about the supposed differences in support, the facts are the facts. (I'd have liked to see him have a chance behind the desk, but cest la vie).

Each to his own, but you hit the nail on the head. PR has supported BP in ways G could only dream of for the most part. The one year he was supported we went on a record breaking run and arguably should have won 2 trophies. If BP achieves that then maybe I'll revaluate.

TheStub said:
DevilDom said:
Seems like PR is laying the foundations for Brent to continue in the role for next season:

At least it will make my decision on whether to renew my season ticket a lot easier.
As PR says "it isn't about liking the guy, it's about who can do the bloody job".

? Still in eighth place and last in the conference

TheStub

DevilDom said:
Each to his own, but you hit the nail on the head. PR has supported BP in ways G could only dream of for the most part. The one year he was supported we went on a record breaking run and arguably should have won 2 trophies. If BP achieves that then maybe I'll revaluate.
The biggest difference that season was Weller. Not for his skills on the ice, but the coaching he brought in. The changes in the team were obvious, and there was a level of skill, game plan and ability to change tactics on the fly we hadn't seen before or since from Adams.

Adams is the past. I think that many look for him to be some sort of messiah, but for long stretches he wasn't even the best coach in his own dressing room. I'm glad we have changed, shame about the manner.

TheStub

jodysstillagirlsname said:
TheStub said:
DevilDom said:

? Still in eighth place and last in the conference
I'll take a season struggling to overcome the poor start if it means we have a full season under someone who isn't Adams next season.

For several years I've wanted to see a coaching change, but if you ever mention not rating G's ability to organise his tactics you just got shot down.

Reality check time for lots of fans I think.

DevilDom

TheStub said:
DevilDom said:
The biggest difference that season was Weller. Not for his skills on the ice, but the coaching he brought in. The changes in the team were obvious, and there was a level of skill, game plan and ability to change tactics on the fly we hadn't seen before or since from Adams.

Adams is the past. I think that many look for him to be some sort of messiah, but for long stretches he wasn't even the best coach in his own dressing room. I'm glad we have changed, shame about the manner.
Not saying G was untouchable or any sort of messiah, but I would have liked to have seen him given the chance to coach from the bench rather than on the ice and with the full support of PR.

KaneDevils

Was G not supported enough during his reign? How long was he given in terms of seasons? To some, too many perhaps?

The one year he was supported we went on a record breaking run and arguably should have won 2 trophies. If BP achieves that then maybe I'll revaluate.
The Weller effect maybe more so than G's coaching ability. After Weller signed, everybody seemed to up their game 25%. And your turn to hit the nail on the head. Should of won 2 trophies, but didn't win one.

Foxy

KaneDevils said:
Was G not supported enough during his reign? How long was he given in terms of seasons? To some, too many perhaps?

The one year he was supported we went on a record breaking run and arguably should have won 2 trophies. If BP achieves that then maybe I'll revaluate.
The Weller effect maybe more so than G's coaching ability. After Weller signed, everybody seemed to up their game 25%. And your turn to hit the nail on the head. Should of won 2 trophies, but didn't win one.
no because someone elses interest turned towards buying sheffield.

It amazes me that the record breaking season people put it all down to Weller but when its suggested that the players are coaching the team now they are flamed then its all down to Pope.......

Sorry but we are still eighth

KaneDevils

PR buying Sheffield was a huge balls up yes, but that was PR not Brent Pope. Plus, was that the reason we won nothing? Or was it Tylor Michel's farcical ban, or Stevie Lyle's error in the tent against the Steelers in OT. Who knows? What I do know is that we should of won the league and didn't.
I was a big fan of G and Franny, and I was sad to see them both go, but yes, I'd have that season down as the "Weller effect" more than anything else. Just my opinion.

Yes we are still eighth, but isn't that because of an awful start to the season, players not performing and being axed, Ross, Conboy etc. Lacosta having to retire. Not really coaching issues but PR saw that enough was enough and rung the changes. As the Stub said, probably the right decision to change, just not in the manner it was done. That's the beef people have right? PR is the owner, it's his club. Surely any wrong doings was him and not Pope?

Foxy

KaneDevils said:
PR buying Sheffield was a huge balls up yes, but that was PR not Brent Pope. Plus, was that the reason we won nothing? Or was it Tylor Michel's farcical ban, or Stevie Lyle's error in the tent against the Steelers in OT. Who knows? What I do know is that we should of won the league and didn't.
I was a big fan of G and Franny, and I was sad to see them both go, but yes, I'd have that season down as the "Weller effect" more than anything else. Just my opinion.

Yes we are still eighth, but isn't that because of an awful start to the season, players not performing and being axed, Ross, Conboy etc. Lacosta having to retire. Not really coaching issues but PR saw that enough was enough and rung the changes. As the Stub said, probably the right decision to change, just not in the manner it was done. That's the beef people have right? PR is the owner, it's his club. Surely any wrong doings was him and not Pope?
Who advises PR on anything ice hockey related............
You telling me that the buying of another team, your closest rival, wouldnt have have had a demoralising effect on the dressing room.

Yes we did have an awful start to the season but we lost our starting netminder for the first 6/7 games ANY coach would have struggled with that especially when that is when players are still getting to know one another. G should have been given the same chances as Brent with the same financial backing to act as coach only but now we'll never know but it was G's recruiting that came up with the little gems like Michel McCrae and Weller.

TheStub

Foxy said:
Who advises PR on anything ice hockey related............
You telling me that the buying of another team, your closest rival, wouldnt have have had a demoralising effect on the dressing room.

Yes we did have an awful start to the season but we lost our starting netminder for the first 6/7 games ANY coach would have struggled with that especially when that is when players are still getting to know one another. G should have been given the same chances as Brent with the same financial backing to act as coach only but now we'll never know but it was G's recruiting that came up with the little gems like Michel McCrae and Weller.
Circumstances changed with the netminder. G was given the budget to bring in a replacement netminder on a short term loan... OK he was Hull's spare but that wouldn't have been free.

With Cook we are in a different situation - Dan has ruled himself out for the whole season and we managed to find a young guy looking for his pro break. Cook is probably one of the lowest paid netminders in the league.

I don't see why this proves Brent has more backing. In the same way, we don't know if G could have made the other signings but chose not to. I'd guess he wouldn't as he looked west, not east. Europeans should factor heavily in this league, being cheap to get in and not requiring visas etc. Strange how we always seem to have signed North Americans.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk