Devils vs Vipers, Sat 04th 7.00pm. Chat/Updates

Gazza272 said:
Dai Vader said:
I don't want to sound to critical, but i didn't really rate Aubry the first time he played for us, i think Hinks is past his best and off the pace, but is Adams the right fit for us. Does he actually know how to coach? has he passed any coaching badges etc? do the players want to play for him?

Yes he knows how to coach, he's won us a trophy during his coaching time with us and made his title contenders last season until the knee god shot us down.

What do coaching badges prove? providing you could skate to a standard im guessing anyone could get one?

If they dont want to play for him they have a 2 week get out clause they can use. A lot of players re signed from last season to play for him again, so obviously they dont have a problem with him.
I just can't believe that we have apparently the smallest rink in the league according to Simmsy ( and i thought Manchester had the same size ice pad as us? but that's another matter) yet we can't clear the puck out of our own end, on the PK we clearly can't clear our own zone and it is getting really frustrating to watch as on numerous occasions tonight we couldn't clear our own zone, pathetic..

I think we should get rid of Hinks and bring in Riddle and get rid of Andersson (because he is out for 16 weeks) and bring in Teplitsky before Coventry take him ;)

I think the most dissappointing thing about tonight was that even with two imports down we couldn't win against what I thought was a very poor/limited side. Newcastle were entertaining as always, and Verner is clearly very good and I was impressed with the way Macallister dominated his end. (We couldn't get a screen on Verner all night and I think our goal came when Macalister was in the box.)

So, tonight showed just how much we miss Voth. Although newcastle were IMO poor, they still took complete control physically and took liberties which no team should be allowed to take in our rink. OK, Smith probably could have made a few more calls, but nobody sticks up for anyone out there. I'm concerned Prpich is going to get an injury without Voth, because he still puts himself in the tough positions and is paying a heavy price for it right now.

Hartwick was my MOM. He doesn't get the credit he deserves because he's a defensive minded player, but was again superb. Jarvis seems to play well every game, but makes one or two costly errors a game which he needs to cut out as he gets noticed for that more than his strong defensive play. ie the slash in overtime.

It's always going to be tough without Voth and Andersson who I'm sure would have improved our powerplay tonight. (Which is neverheless better than last year with or without him) We also needed Voth as the screen with Macallister in there.

I'm down, but I still think it's difficult to get a full idea as we still haven't played with a full team yet! I think we won every game we played with a full team last season (all 6 of them) Then, if you get used to winning and we have an injury it's much easier to keep winning.

Hopefully we'll have two bits of very good news this week and have a full team at least for next weekend! :)

Fair point, but i still think we need some changes. Lets be fair its not going to get any easier, the rest of this month we have got Belfast twice, :roll: Sheffield, Nottingham and Edinburgh wont be a pushover either :roll:

Sure, I'm assuming we're going to get a new defensemen with Andersson's unfortunate injury. A certain player making his return to the club would do very nicely. ;)

I also think Voth's return will have the as much impact as a new signing.

There's clearly room for (a lot) of improvement without those two players, but they would provide a huge lift to both the team and supporters regardless of any other changes without a doubt. :)

Word around the rink was that we are close to getting Tyson back and I'm really hoping that after the disciplinary meeting the league decide to let Brad play again. However, even with these two back in the side they cannot win the games on their own. Something is just not clicking right with this team.

I hate cirticising players but an import goalie with an 88% save average is not really good enough. I'd take Newcastle's guy - even with his annoying habit of twitching his head every 5 seconds :roll:

Nitra said:
Word around the rink was that we are close to getting Tyson back and I'm really hoping that after the disciplinary meeting the league decide to let Brad play again. However, even with these two back in the side they cannot win the games on their own. Something is just not clicking right with this team.

I hate cirticising players but an import goalie with an 88% save average is not really good enough. I'd take Newcastle's guy - even with his annoying habit of twitching his head every 5 seconds :roll:
I reckon we nab Reiter and give the Bison Aub's? i'm sure they will understand as we bailed them out and all that lol lol :D

Chris Stone said:
a lot of people forgetting that we are down 2 imports right now too?
Neither of whom are first line centres or prolific goal scorers though?
if i remember correctly voth was 2nd in points for the devils last season? who is also our CAPTAIN for the past 3 seasons? it's gonna affect the team badly as a whole in my opinion.

everyone is way too obsessed with "first line centre and sniper". the points could come from alot of places on this team. and we're missing two of those options.

Foxbauer said:
Chris Stone said:
a lot of people forgetting that we are down 2 imports right now too?
Neither of whom are first line centres or prolific goal scorers though?
if i remember correctly voth was 2nd in points for the devils last season? who is also our CAPTAIN for the past 3 seasons? it's gonna affect the team badly as a whole in my opinion.

everyone is way too obsessed with "first line centre and sniper". the points could come from alot of places on this team. and we're missing two of those options.
True you have got a point there, but i still think i would have employed a better netminder, just my opinion of course............... :roll:

Quite simply we were crap! A disgrace. Quite how someone can put a positive spin on that is beyond me.
We are 2 imports down, their goalie was awesome, blah blah blah! Frankly we are not good enough and the sooner that is accepted the sooner something is done to put it right.
Vipers were 2 imports down too and it is not just bad luck that these opposing goalies are looking good. Our shooting is not good enough.
Hinks for my money might as well have been wearing a Vipers shirt tonite. He just fails in any one on one battle and is letting his teamates down. Aubs is not the goalie he was a couple of years ago.
We dont have a plan B when plan A is not working and the time we changed our game plan was after we took a 3-0 lead v Blaze and looked like being on the brink of giving them a hammering.
Lucky to have a decent crowd in tonite but that dross is not going to entice many back. :cry:

Jones72

Jones72 said:
Clearly the reason the Devils lost tonight was because we have a goalie whos Save Percentage is only 88%, and we lack an ambidextrous out-and-out scoring sniper as a first line centre.

:roll:
I'd just like to point out that this post was tongue in cheek.

The "ambidextrous out-and-out scoring sniper as a first line centre" bit really should have been a giveaway.

A

Anonymous

Gazza272 said:
Yes he knows how to coach, he's won us a trophy during his coaching time with us and made his title contenders last season until the knee god shot us down.
What do coaching badges prove? providing you could skate to a standard im guessing anyone could get one? If they dont want to play for him they have a 2 week get out clause they can use. A lot of players re signed from last season to play for him again, so obviously they dont have a problem with him.
I think Adams has an awful lot to prove still as a coach. That trophy was the Knock Out Cup Gazza, hardly ranks up there as our greatest achievement. I might be wrong but wasn't that with the team that Patterson recruited? The way the Devils have capitulated recently is a worry but they've also played some good stuff at times. Questions need to be asked why the coach doesn't seem to be motivating them enough to do it more consistently. There was an interesting comment in yesterdays Echo, where Adams said that he wanted the players to remain cool on the ice (while he went through all the different emotions on the bench). I can't understand that. I want to see the players playing with emotion, passion and pride - the Devils have always been at their best when they've got a bit of fire in their bellies. That seemed an odd one to me and I must say, it seems to have been taken onboard by the players because we're getting bullied in our own rink at times (last night anyway, Coventry and Sheffield). I can't believe that anyone thinks we have enough firepower as demonstrated last night. Player statistics can be misleading as we've played Basingstoke 3 times in the last 6 games!! I'm fed up of hearing even more excuses about Voth and Andersson. All teams have injuries and Vipers were down last night too. The bottom line is, we're not quite good enough.

Finny

Foxbauer said:

Voth was actually our top goal scorer last season. Not only are we missing his goals though, we're also missing his leadership out there.

Although he scored tonight, I still don't think we are getting enough from Hinks for someone whose position was to be a "big scoring, top star" role like Adams said.

I do hope we get Tyson back, we definately missed anyone who could move the puck from D to attack succesfully last night. The rumours I'd heard though was that we might not be able to afford him under our wagecap. Perhaps if most people got their wish and Hinks was replaced we could bring in someone cheaper to replace him and the extra money used for Tyson?

Also - just to point out that Aubry's save percentage is actually 90% not 88%. Not quite sure how he can be blamed for our loss last night though.

Gaz G said:
Voth will be playing in the next game and that is something gerard told me himself.

politics aside... this would really be an early christmas present for the team... literally. We really do need a guy to lead from the front in this team.

It's great to see unfetered debate about hockey on this forum, and reading all of the above threads, everyone appears to be correct in their thinking

Last nights game - DIRE - worst game that I have the "pleasure" of attending in the Bay

Tyson to return... very good odds I think. If Hinks stays, then still to stay 3rd line, although I do hope that he takes Sly's example and responds poitively to the demotion.

Whoever negotiated the Spire Healthcare deal was inspirational, and well hopefully get Anderson fit ASAP.

davew

Last night was the first time I have seen the current team, and quite disappointed really.

The off ice presentation is the best I have seen apart from the intro, which lacks any evoking emotion and audience participation, we NEED the old one back UNTIL something better can be created. Paul frankly needs to get back onto the drums, he can lead better that way.

The game, well, was probably the least physical of any newcastle game I have seen regardless of who they have played.

It is a shame that last night was not a CC game as tbh neither team deserved the 2 points.

Hinks is not performing, and MacIver seems also to be a lazy player. Campbell, Pyrpich and Hill stood out from the rest. I agree that we miss vother's input both on and off ice.

Our disallowed goal looked good to me but from the stands it is difficult to judge if the stick was above the height of the crossbar.

G reminded me of whis last night and I wouldn't have been surprised to have seen false teeth fly onto the ice, but that is where any similarity to a half decent coach ends, having worked and been friendly with blazer for years G just hasnt got it (yet anyway).

IMO changes have to be made and I would plum for Tyson (Andersson's injury surely warrants that) and a cheaper, but hard working centreman, we will be lucky to finish above 5th unless we do.

Good to be in the blue tent again, but would rather be back in Vancouver!

Gaz G said:
Voth will be playing in the next game and that is something gerard told me himself.
Oh dear...I hear the Hull Daily Mail are spouting that Kozak's ban has been reduced as well. I can hear the Steelers PR machine kicking into life once more! :| It's a shame the EIHL have had to back track over the whole thing. They could have just got it right at the start! :roll:

As for the game...I could probably justify paying £9 if it was my team and I was into the game (so to speak), but for a neutral that was even more painful. Two uber poor sides, a team scraping a win off 2 chances, no end to end play, no passing to the tape and Rob Wilson's smarmy face thinking he'd won the Stanely Cup at the end. :evil: But Christmascallister ( :lol: ) laying out Rod Hinks is why he played NHL!! Maybe that will wake him up, but I won't hold my breath!

It's a shame I'm missing the Belfast side next weekend.

Gaz G said:
Gerard told me he recieved a fax from the league r.e voth saying ban had been halved

Oh dear oh dear oh dear - I feel a new thread coming.... one that would probably be locked, banned and bannished to the fires of hell on Elite Head Squeelers forum :D

sorry to go off topic, but the Elite Squeeler League will deserve everything they get :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Back on topic - well kind of... the match night experience is getting better and better and the new intro is really growing on me... I really like the Video that goes along with it. The live band last night was refreshing!