Devils Vs Steelers - 6 & 7 Apr 19 -Play Off Quarter Finals

Devils86

Notes on tonight:

We let the Steelers back in after two largely professional periods. We literally gifted them the first in the third.

Obviously if our boys were perfect they wouldn’t be playing for us but such NEEDLESS mistakes are so frustrating.

Almost as frustrating as Fournier tonight. Don’t get me wrong, love the guy, but an idiotic penalty in the first just when it was threatening to boil over in our favour - let a poor Steelers team off the hook.

That tonight was not a fluid, free flowing Devils side that we saw early in the season. It was a grinding, physical, completing-your-checks, YIPPEE-KAY-YEE mother Hubbard type performance.

Ok maybe that’s overselling what was a grinding performance.

What it was, was exactly what we need when we face the Panthers. Save that we can’t give teams a head start.

Shout out to the Red Army tonight, loud and influential. Didn’t boo anybody off and quite restrained given how poor the officiating was (sorry, I don’t but this “it’s playoffs so let it go” stuff). Was a hint of “5-1 and you messed it up” from some corners but overall we showed the Steelers how an organisation should behave.

On other points:
O’Connor shook every Steeler hand before the Devils which screams to me that he will try his luck abroad again this off-season.

More concerning was Linglet hanging around at the end prior to the Wave - seemed to be a goodbye - but hopefully was just part of the Wave w/kids.

More on my views on next season’s roster at another time. But for now - well done Devils!

Looked the part from the off - Benti had a great game and I genuinely don’t think Martin would be the GOAT without Mario on his line season-in-season-out.

On to the Playoffs. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN - so let’s spoil the Giants’ party.

that game is why north America love the Play-offs and why I would love longer play off hockey.....that game had almost everything...... tonight everyone of those players gave everything....against a team that gave everything......the only ones who didn't seem to were the refs....abysmal for both teams .....but past that special shout outs to Martin, Myers, Richie, Dixon, Duggan these guys were especially immense .....

roll on next weekend

Wannabe2

Linglet and Hedden have left a lot to be desired out there tonight. Linglet missing two wide open nets and then coughing up the puck on the PP for a breakaway against.
Go away please, everyone of our players put everything into tonight, against a team who have already beaten us and the Giants, we won tonight as a team something you obviously don’t comprehend.

august04

that game is why north America love the Play-offs and why I would love longer play off hockey.....that game had almost everything...... tonight everyone of those players gave everything....against a team that gave everything......the only ones who didn't seem to were the refs....abysmal for both teams .....but past that special shout outs to Martin, Myers, Richie, Dixon, Duggan these guys were especially immense .....

roll on next weekend
Couldn’t agree more. Those are the kinds of games we should be seeing over an extended play off series at the end of the season, not a mini home and away series and a weekend in Nottingham. Such a shame we can’t somehow find a way to have a proper play off series. A very enjoyable, tough, physical, intense battle tonight from two desperate teams, great stuff.

Mooney#16

I questioned if Devils were a team who could live in the trenches if that's what a game required and I think that perfectly proved they can. Not a perfect game but contrary to the last few weeks went and did exactly what was required and got there noses dirty and played desperate.

Well done to the players. In what must have been a roller coaster week where it's easy to pack up and go home especially at 5-1 the team have showed some true character. Even if it doesn't go Devils way it's hard to argue they aren't all as invested as us fans and giving it a bloody good go.

Wannabe2

Well played lads, you did us proud once again. Thank you, everyone one of you, it’s a team sport, and we won as a team. And that’s what we are A TEAM,

Mooney#16

Capital outlay for the arena teams is the death of the play offs in this country. They simply cannot pre book the dates as if they don't make it it'll cost them a fortune and also they don't have the sway on fixtures to book it last minute with standings affecting home / away dates.

It's frustrating but there seems little to no way around it. The only change I would like is the finals moved to a neutral venue despite Nottingham being a good fit logistically it feels wrong. The O2 or Manchester Arena would make it a huge marquee end to the season and everyone would be out of their comfort zone. Wembley still ranks as the best play off atmosphere for me.

Rich Best

No. They almost lost it again to a team they absolutely dominated all season. Outside of some super human efforts by Myers, Batch, Dixon and Martin they were dominated most of the night.

Quite frankly it's not good enough for a team that should have won the league. Coasting during the last 5 games of the season cost us, and several players just didnt turn up tonight.
Bit OTT.

Well done boys, great character performance. Steelers are no mugs. What a game to watch, edge of the seat stuff all weekend.

Got a sneaky feeling we will play Flames in the final.

2 wins and we lift the playoff trophy. We are more than capable.

Earnie

I presume Gravyboatcaptain knows what a 'gravy boat ' is?
(If needs be I shall clarify later.)

Fantastic game of hockey. I love them all.

Last edited:

Devils86

Again posters need to hold off pressing that “post reply” button until the end of the game if they are so sure to condemn/praise us.

In no other sport can you go from being ahead to being behind inside 47 seconds and your head in your hands to later being ahead again and on your feet in 39 seconds. As such we all need to be less reactionary.

A game can change so quick, so can a season.

T10P

Entertaining game, thought the refs had a shocker again tonight but nothing new there. 3 odd goals.. Breakaway was unfortunate. Another took a horrible bounce off the boards, then the 3rd a mix up and bobbling puck. PP not great, but 7 goals is 7 goals.

Highlight of my night winning #20 Fournier warm-up jersey :)

#ontonottingham

Slartibartfast

Talk about putting your body on the line. That game was brutal. I was quite close to the ice and I could almost feel the crunch as the forwards threw their bodies into the corners to make sure they kept the pressure on the Steelers.
I was horrified when they they did a repeat of last night and came out slow and sloppy in the third period. I thought it was all over but the tenacity of this team is incredible.
They thoroughly deserved to be in Nottingham with that herculean effort.
Respect to the Steelers (as much as I hate them) for making it a great game to watch. They have improved so much from earlier in the season. They have some great forwards on their first two lines but just lack the depth that we have.
That was classic playoff hockey.

jenks33

Chuffed for the boys. To be honest when Armstrong scored that short handed goal at the beginning of the 3rd period last night I wrote us off. Not necessarily because of the scoreline but the manner of the goal, I thought it was going to knock the stuffing out of us. To come back and win the tie by three goals though is an outstanding effort.
How are we feeling about next weekend? My feeling at the moment is relief that we’ve made it. There was pressure on us this weekend after losing the title and playing the 7th placed team but I hope we can relax a little now. I don’t think many people will fancy us to win the play offs so hopefully we can go under the radar a bit. Belfast will be huge favourites and I think a lot of people will fancy Nottingham against us in the semi final with their home advantage.
For me if we are to have success next weekend then Bownsy and Fournier need big weekends. The only thing I’d say about bownsy at the moment is he isn’t making many of those big saves at crucial times. I don’t think he’s been at fault for any goals this weekend but our team confidence is understandably low at the moment and I think Bownsy will be busy next weekend. We need him to be rock solid and hopefully the rest of the team will feed off that.
I don’t think Gleason has had that swagger in his game the past few weeks. I think you can tell he’s a bit frustrated with his game at the moment with a couple of silly penalties he’s taken. We need him back to his best next weekend.
Obviously Joey Martin is another player that needs a big weekend next week if we’re to have success but that’s a given. He’s so consistently good. I’ve run out of superlatives for that guy. Ivan Matulik has been my favourite devil of the past 25 years but Martin has overtaken him now. Just an outstanding player

That was a proper match against the Steelers, much like the Steelers of a few seasons ago. It was probably the most tense I've been watching a game this season after we seemed to fold at the start of the 3rd, but when we looked a bit rudderless we pulled something out against the run of play. That after feeling like we were walking it at times. Fair play to Sheffield, that was one of their better performances against us, though we didn't much help ourselves either.

On a slight tangent, I'd re-sign Louis on a long-term deal and seriously look at him as captain for the next couple of seasons. If we're going to go through a transitioning period - which I have no evidence to suggest that we are other than speculation, but ageing team etc makes me think we'll see quite a few new, younger faces over the next few seasons - then he's the guy I think you build a team around, alongside other gimmes like Martin and Bowns.

Food for thought. Anyway, we're going to the play-offs - GET IN.