Clan v Devils - 08/01 @ 18:00 - League - Chat/Updates

Russky

The Clan player receiving the hit from Bordeleau had his head a lot lower that it would have been had he been upright, so he was unwittingly made the hit look a lot worse than it actually was. Initially the ref didn't call it, but it was only brought to his attention by the lino after Finnerty had gone ballistic on the Clan bench, in protest to Bordy's hit.

Also the Clan player didn't seem any worse for wear after the hit and seemingly no blood was split so to speak.

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

The Clan player receiving the hit from Bordeleau had his head a lot lower that it would have been had he been upright, so he was unwittingly made the hit look a lot worse than it actually was. Initially the ref didn't call it, but it was only brought to his attention by the lino after Finnerty had gone ballistic on the Clan bench, in protest to Bordy's hit.

Also the Clan player didn't seem any worse for wear after the hit and seemingly no blood was split so to speak.
If the hit was to the head - and without slow-mo I can't tell that it was - the rule book that DOPS quote state there is no clean hit to the head i.e. Any hit to the head whether intentional or not is still classed as a hit to the head. So the argument a player had his head down can't be made.

Let's wait and see. Hopefully what they see will reverse the Match and Bordy will be available on Saturday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a lino brings it to the attention of the referee my understanding it that only major penalties can be called, So 2+10 or 2+2+10 were not an option. A 5 minutre major for chross checking could have been called.

Devil_Abroad

If a lino brings it to the attention of the referee my understanding it that only major penalties can be called, So 2+10 or 2+2+10 were not an option. A 5 minutre major for chross checking could have been called.
It would be great if EIHL could publish their additions to the rules that they use

Electro

Watched the vid a few times, harsh call, to be frank the size of Bordy means a lot of his hits will be close to the head area. The guy he hit stayed on his feet, so l doubt the hit was that bad, had Bordy hit uncontrollably they would still be scrapping up body parts.

voth26

At the risk of being slated here...... The linesman made that call - and I would not accuse officials of reacting to a coach who's lost it on the bench. In trying to understand why the linesman called it I've been trying to look closely at the hit and the only thing I can make out is Bordy lifting at the point of contact - his skates are not on the ice.

Hopefully a match will suffice seeing it is his first such penalty but they are trying to crack down on head hits so if there's any contact to the head too he will get the extra game. I hope not.

That's what I can make out with out slow motion. I might be wrong.

Take a look at Fitzys hit on Lord the last time we played Steelers in the IAW, he lined Lord up sent a hit straight to the head area and both skates left the ice, he got kicked out BUT RECEIVED NO BAN despite being a serial offender, so let's see how they handle Bordy, plus I thought only the ref could call major pens but might be wrong on that?

voth26

Bordy is a professional with no history of dirty play - where did I say otherwise?

The ref calling that tonight is bad timing for the team considering who they are playing next week. That is what I meant.

Hopefully Lordo will play against Belfast and leave out another player. Giants have some big bodies and slick forwards - the Devils will have to try and counter that.
I didn't say you did say Bordy was a dirty player, I wasn't challenging your post I made an observation like you did, think we both got our wires crossed with each others posts?.

bdevil

The clan player, pretty sure it was Sullivan, was hurt. His legs went to jelly, had to prop himself up on the boards to skate back to the bench and received medical help straight away.

Kal

I don't think the footage is clear enough to prove that it wasn't a check to the head so unless there's another angle or something closer than whats shown on the highlights or the referee says something in his report it'll remain a match penalty and he'll miss a game. Personally i'd say thats super harsh but what can you expect from a league that only employs 1 person part time to look out for player safety? A well organised professional league would probably enforce as part of allowing entry into it that you had suitable video coverage for reviewing if nothing else. Also tantrums like Finnertys should be punished, imagine what its gonna look like when thousands of people see that on Frontrunner TV Thursday night?!

Russky

The clan player, pretty sure it was Sullivan, was hurt. His legs went to jelly, had to prop himself up on the boards to skate back to the bench and received medical help straight away.
This was not shown on the highlights hence my assumption that he was unhurt, plus I did say 'he didn't seem to be hurt' which is different from saying he definitely wasn't hurt, which is NOT what I said..

Last edited:

Russky

I don't think the footage is clear enough to prove that it wasn't a check to the head so unless there's another angle or something closer than whats shown on the highlights or the referee says something in his report it'll remain a match penalty and he'll miss a game. Personally i'd say thats super harsh but what can you expect from a league that only employs 1 person part time to look out for player safety? A well organised professional league would probably enforce as part of allowing entry into it that you had suitable video coverage for reviewing if nothing else. Also tantrums like Finnertys should be punished, imagine what its gonna look like when thousands of people see that on Frontrunner TV Thursday night?!

Thousands? hundreds may be!!! On an obscure minor channel that most people have never heard of, let alone know where to find it! Having said that it is going to make Finnerty look abit of an idot.

the disallowed goal was the RIGHT decision as the puck hadn't entirely crossed the line. This was clear on the camera angle from behind the goal.
You're right that the goal did not cross the line because it hit the pad just inside the post but had the pad not been there it would have gone in. Fortunately the Devils got the 2 points and it doesn't matter at this point . But it's a point that may make the difference on winning a league title . I'm not convinced all teams in the league have the same pads in their nets. Look the same but some are further into the net than others. This is an issue for all hockey in general not just the Elite league and it's up to the league to make sure all nets in every home rinks have exactly the same pads and are compliant. I would hate to see a team lose a trophy because of a non compliant pad

Gazza272

But was it a head injury?

the hit looked identical to the one Bordy threw on Jim Jorgensen a few weeks ago and Jorgensen went to the bench pretty winded and hurt. but it was just a huge check.

Kal

Thousands? hundreds may be!!! On an obscure minor channel that most people have never heard of, let alone know where to find it! Having said that it is going to make Finnerty look abit of an idot.
That was a little sarcastic humor, I'm not a fan of the direction they've taken with the highlights show. That said the league should act in a way that is in line with their ambitions. If their ambition is to just show highlights on an obscure channel let Ryan carry on acting like an idiot, if they want to be taken more seriously fines an bans for unsportsmanlike behaviour should follow shenanigans like this. They'll make a fortune from Finner and Thomo.

bdevil

But was it a head injury?

the hit looked identical to the one Bordy threw on Jim Jorgensen a few weeks ago and Jorgensen went to the bench pretty winded and hurt. but it was just a huge check.
Couldn't say for sure if it was a head injury or not but from the way he couldn't support his own body weight it looked more than just winded. I think his head made heavier contact with the board than bordy made to his head though

bdevil

This was not shown on the highlights hence my assumption that he was unhurt, plus I did say 'he didn't seem to be hurt' which is different from saying he definitely wasn't hurt, which is NOT what I said..
Wasn't critisising you, just letting you know how it seemed from where I saw it.