Clan v Devils - 08/01 @ 18:00 - League - Chat/Updates

Highlights are up here:-
Bordy incident is at 7:45, looks like a clean hit from a very big guy into a smaller guy, nothing dirty or untoward and judging purely from the video a match penalty seems ludicrously harsh for such an innocuous incident IMO. Nothing was called at the time until a break in play, when Finnerty has his tantrum and the linesman has a word with the ref.

Jonesy83

A match penalty for Bordeleau is quite frankly ridiculous and I'd have no problem saying the same if it was Rosehill who did the same hit on Doucet or Martin etc. It was just a bigger guy checking a smaller guy. If he gets any type of suspension from that it will Beggar belief. None of the officials called anything, only when finnerty started performing did they do something.... Unbelievable.

Also cowick nearly took martins head off with a swinging stick in the act of the Devils scoring their first goal.

Russky

Having viewed it, it looked a clean hit made worse than it actually was, by the Clan player having his head down and seemingly bracing himself for the imminant hit. He also seemed none the worse after the hit. Harsh call made by the ref and Linos who allowed themselves to be influenced by opposing coach, who's hissy fit demanded the ref to call the hit as a foul, when it was actually a clean fair hit. I am sure I have seen Finnerty execute such hits when he was a player, he didn't whinge then.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to understand the point of these kinds of checks. The puck is long gone before the hit comes in. Sooner or later a penalty was likely to come. The one on Noble on Saturday was again over a second after the puck was gone. I'm all for checking if you're going to generate a turnover but otherwise, I don't see the point.

terry hunt

I suspected that Finnerty played a part in this.Since his anti Devils campaign with Thompson and Neilsen and their owners we seem to be having more of these majors near the end of games we are winning.Are the refs giving pens against us so they are not accused of bias?
My concern with this is it will automatically be reviewed and could cause Bordy a suspension.The hit by Cowick (who has form) will only be reviewed if we request it.
I believe that Finnerty is under huge pressure with this year his last chance to win the league before next years changes.
But i agree with comments about the stupid actions of some of our players who seem incapable of controlling themselves at critical times in games.
Was'nt indiscipline one of the reasons Hendo went?

JT666

There are a whole manner of reasons why you finish checks (even when the puck has gone), including;
  • Intimidate the opposition bench when they witness such a hit (psychological)
  • Linked to the above, making defencemen cough up the puck even earlier next time (to give themselves more time to move)
  • Wear down the opposition (physicality)
  • Encourage (and entertain) the crowd (particularly in home games)
This was a hard but legal hit met with a farcical, and spineless, refereeing decision. If you take this element out of the game you're left with bland euro style hockey and dwindling crowds. The officials (Smith was guilty of it in the Dundee game) need to be reminded they are officiating professional ice hockey not primary school football.

Are we able to appeal the match penalty?

Gazza272

There are a whole manner of reasons why you finish checks (even when the puck has gone), including;
  • Linked to the above, making defencemen cough up the puck even earlier next time (to give themselves more time to move)
This was a hard but legal hit met with a farcical, and spineless, refereeing decision. If you take this element out of the game you're left with bland euro style hockey and dwindling crowds. The officials (Smith was guilty of it in the Dundee game) need to be reminded they are officiating professional ice hockey not primary school football.

The Match penalty will be automatically reviewed, DOPS do have the power to downgrade it to a game penalty.

we can only appeal it if the ban is over 3 games if i remember correctly.

I hope Kirkham sees what we all see in the hit and the match is downgraded.

Russky

I love to see hard physical hockey with some meaty hits and some fights, but not fighting for just fighting sake. Fighting does have a part in the game to reassert one's dominance over the opposition and the right to be physical and dish out the legal hard hits on opposing players. Fighting is also legitimate if its to try and change the momentum of the game and upset the rhythm, momentum and any dominance the opposition may have in a game.

Both NHL and the Euro hockey is trying to artificially sanitise hockey by outlawing some physical aspects of the game and eliminate the fighting. The only result of this is banal boring non contact hockey, which drives the crowds away and in turn bankrupt some of the smaller clubs.

Last edited:

Mooney#16

Reference the Bordy match I think the linesmen is to blame for that. He seemed to call the major penalty and then throwing Bordy out was behaving like a right plonker shouting and pointing to the locker room in such a pumped up way. Grade A example of how not to manage a game as an official.

Do think Devils got away with one there as the first goal could have been waved for a hand pass as Joey Martin seems to glove it down and no one else touches it until Haddad touches it in.

Still just take the points and run for the border!

Devil94

Certainly looked like a clean hit to me and disallowed goal.... really
The disalowed goal was the right decision, the whole puck didn't cross the line.
As for the hit, hard to see it properly on highlights, but 2 + 10 right call if head was first point of contact, 5+game would have been harsh, 5+match I just don't understand at all.

Russky

the disallowed goal was the RIGHT decision as the puck hadn't entirely crossed the line. This was clear on the camera angle from behind the goal.

dave

If I was a devils forward I would be checking that white padding next game is in right place....Seems a bit forward/off..

Rob Batch

If the Bordy hit was the one we caught a glimpse of in the highlights then I don't understand the call. It looked fairly innocuous to me. The bench influencing a delayed call needs to be looked at.

Russky

I agree, the EIHL need to look at Finnerty's actions in getting a call on Bordy's hit. Also the lino concerned and the ref need to be reminded of their responsibilities, particularly in relation to responding to bench coaches and their remonstrations on the bench.

backrow

There appeared to be a Devils player out on the ice completely gassed who missed Joey Martin's pass out and could hardly skate back just before the Clan's 2nd goal. Matt Myers hustled back on the play and ended up playing D along with Ulmer.

Devil_Abroad

At the risk of being slated here...... The linesman made that call - and I would not accuse officials of reacting to a coach who's lost it on the bench. In trying to understand why the linesman called it I've been trying to look closely at the hit and the only thing I can make out is Bordy lifting at the point of contact - his skates are not on the ice.

Hopefully a match will suffice seeing it is his first such penalty but they are trying to crack down on head hits so if there's any contact to the head too he will get the extra game. I hope not.

That's what I can make out with out slow motion. I might be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk