Bans from last night (as they stand)

Gazza, what I have failed to cover in that post is that Coventrys penalties were dished out on the night and are therefore deemed to have been dealt with. If the further scrutiny that the league have alluded to result in bans for one or two Blaze players all well and good but as far as the game and the league rules go, Kirkham has probably come to the right conclusions. This doesn't mean I think Coventry are blameless, far from it, but this week has seen people slagging off Olson for chinning a spectator who lunges at him (reasonable reaction in my eyes), people slagging off the echo for putting us on the front page (the brawl in itself wouldn't have registered as news, it was only when said spectator had his brain fart that it did), now people are slagging of the league for going by the book on the penalties on the night to bans ratio. I can see that on the surface it looks like we have been hard done by but if you take a rational and less emotive view of it (as if through the eyes of a neutral say) it seems that it has been called pretty fairly.

Gazza272

Gingers Husband said:
Gazza, what I have failed to cover in that post is that Coventrys penalties were dished out on the night and are therefore deemed to have been dealt with. If the further scrutiny that the league have alluded to result in bans for one or two Blaze players all well and good but as far as the game and the league rules go, Kirkham has probably come to the right conclusions. This doesn't mean I think Coventry are blameless, far from it, but this week has seen people slagging off Olson for chinning a spectator who lunges at him (reasonable reaction in my eyes), people slagging off the echo for putting us on the front page (the brawl in itself wouldn't have registered as news, it was only when said spectator had his brain fart that it did), now people are slagging of the league for going by the book on the penalties on the night to bans ratio. I can see that on the surface it looks like we have been hard done by but if you take a rational and less emotive view of it (as if through the eyes of a neutral say) it seems that it has been called pretty fairly.

I'll accept The spectator got off VERY lightly.

I have no issues with the Echo printing the story.

I have no problems with the bans we got.

I just cannot believe there was not a single Match penalty in that fracas for the Blaze. Thompson didnt even get one for failing to control his bench!

That is my only problem with this. That and the fact a video showing Birbrear didnt throw a punch at Egener is still not being acknowledged.

Chris

Administrator
what I have failed to cover in that post is that Coventrys penalties were dished out on the night and are therefore deemed to have been dealt with. If the further scrutiny that the league have alluded to result in bans for one or two Blaze players all well and good but as far as the game and the league rules go, Kirkham has probably come to the right conclusions. This doesn't mean I think Coventry are blameless, far from it, but this week has seen people slagging off Olson for chinning a spectator who lunges at him (reasonable reaction in my eyes), people slagging off the echo for putting us on the front page (the brawl in itself wouldn't have registered as news, it was only when said spectator had his brain fart that it did), now people are slagging of the league for going by the book on the penalties on the night to bans ratio. I can see that on the surface it looks like we have been hard done by but if you take a rational and less emotive view of it (as if through the eyes of a neutral say) it seems that it has been called pretty fairly.
Good lord, a reasoned view finally...

Thanks for posting 'Gingers Husband' i've been trying to word something all day, but it seems you managed it before me :)

I agree that Thommo should have a match and admit that I don't fully understand Frannys match for travesty of game resulting in 5 games but, as I said, if Max and Deeds had stayed in the dressing room the only match penalty we would have picked up after the buzzer would be Frannys. If the league use all the footage available, Thommo, Egener and Olson may yet pick up bans. If they stick to just the gamesheets though, that's the best we're going to get.

Wannabe2

Gingers Husband said:
I agree that Thommo should have a match and admit that I don't fully understand Frannys match for travesty of game resulting in 5 games but, as I said, if Max and Deeds had stayed in the dressing room the only match penalty we would have picked up after the buzzer would be Frannys. If the league use all the footage available, Thommo, Egener and Olson may yet pick up bans. If they stick to just the gamesheets though, that's the best we're going to get.
Its difficult to look at different footage when you have only one eye.

Wannabe2 said:
Big time for that, if that aint dangerous then shit.Even the commentator mentions it.
If it's any consolation myself and everyone around me, despite being delighted at the Blaze win, stopped and asked how in the hell he got away with one of the most obvious and aggressive slashes seen at the 'dome in a long time. Baffling.

Seriously though...what the hell are the refs doing to not see that? There are four of them on the ice and we keep getting told that we have a small pad. How is that not spotted?

Joke...utter Joke. If action had been taken at the time the rest of this crap would more than likely not have happened.

Chris Carpenter said:
Wannabe2 said:
Big time for that, if that aint dangerous then shit.Even the commentator mentions it.
If it's any consolation myself and everyone around me, despite being delighted at the Blaze win, stopped and asked how in the hell he got away with one of the most obvious and aggressive slashes seen at the 'dome in a long time. Baffling.
And this is why everybody on here is up in arms. Have been reading the Blaze forum where Devils fans have been slated for their opinions, then things like this go unpunished and 3 Devils get banned.

Consistancy is all we ask for

Wannabe2

StevenBletsoe said:
Chris Carpenter said:
Wannabe2 said:
And this is why everybody on here is up in arms. Have been reading the Blaze forum where Devils fans have been slated for their opinions, then things like this go unpunished and 3 Devils get banned.

We get consistency all right we are consistently shit on.

StevenBletsoe said:
Chris Carpenter said:
Wannabe2 said:

Don't get me wrong here. I agree fully with the rationale behind the bans that have been given. I'd try and explain but Gingers Husband has made the single most sensible post I've ever seen on this forum above, which covers everything I could say.
Frankly I think some of the reactions to the bans on here are worthy of the loony bin (see the boycott thread for example). In the cold light of day I'd hope some fans would look back and think they overdid it a bit.

However in any light of day I'd be livid if a slash like that was missed on one of my team. The refs miss penalties - it happens and I understand it. I just can't see how something so obvious even the Blaze fans winced was missed at the end. Any sane fan would be up in arms about that.

But therein lies the point to the uproar. That slash is missed (and it's a belter) then his hit on Sunday is missed. What on earth was Max meant to do? Lie on the ice and take it? Let both incidents go and take it like a mug? No, he got off the ice AFTER THE SECOND INCIDENT and had a pop and the "biggest dog in the yard" (Thommo's words not mine) and then what get's a 5 (then 8) match ban and Olson get's nothing.

Missing one is bad, missing both is confirming Devils fans fears, that the standard of officiating is not up to standard.

If it is the Blaze's intention to play in this manner it is the League's responsibility to police the game and administer the rules. It is not up to Max to get up, strike out then get the back of his head punched when he is on the Ice. To leave the ice with the aid of trainers because the officials on the ice cannot or will not protect him.

Please tell me that after these two instances of thuggery against Max by Olson that max is the one who should be serving an 8 game ban