2021/22 Roster - Rumours/Predictions

jenks33

Thread starter #62
I wouldn’t be surprised if Brandon Mcnally has signed for us. I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s noticed that he’s started following a lot of devils related pages/people on social media. His CV is a funny one. Up until 2018 it’s quite impressive but then he goes to Italy which isn’t a great league these days and then Denmark plus the Swedish third tier. He’s clearly more of an agitator than a point scorer but it’s still an odd CV in my opinion. He probably wouldn’t be a signing that will get people too excited but in Jarrod we trust i suppose. That’s if he has signed of course

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/75027/brandon-mcnally

moggy#9

I wouldn’t be surprised if Brandon Mcnally has signed for us. I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s noticed that he’s started following a lot of devils related pages/people on social media. His CV is a funny one. Up until 2018 it’s quite impressive but then he goes to Italy which isn’t a great league these days and then Denmark plus the Swedish third tier. He’s clearly more of an agitator than a point scorer but it’s still an odd CV in my opinion. He probably wouldn’t be a signing that will get people too excited but in Jarrod we trust i suppose. That’s if he has signed of course

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/75027/brandon-mcnally
As you say, this is a funny one. Given that mark Louis is already signed, why would we go for someone who clearly has a reputation as an enforcer (he won a tough guy award in the echl). The only reason I can think of for signing him would be if we had a really prized asset forward coming in who needs protection.

jenks33

Thread starter #64
As you say, this is a funny one. Given that mark Louis is already signed, why would we go for someone who clearly has a reputation as an enforcer (he won a tough guy award in the echl). The only reason I can think of for signing him would be if we had a really prized asset forward coming in who needs protection.
Yeah I look at his CV and with all due respect to Brandon its the CV of a player we’d have signed maybe 8 or 9 years ago when the EIHL was slightly different. On twitter though he follows the Devils, The owners, Gareth Huish, Dai Sport the list goes on. Would he really follow all those accounts if his friend was signing for the devils rather than himself. He’s from Massachusetts as well so there’s no Calgary connection there.

moggy#9

Yeah I look at his CV and with all due respect to Brandon its the CV of a player we’d have signed maybe 8 or 9 years ago when the EIHL was slightly different. On twitter though he follows the Devils, The owners, Gareth Huish, Dai Sport the list goes on. Would he really follow all those accounts if his friend was signing for the devils rather than himself. He’s from Massachusetts as well so there’s no Calgary connection there.
I think this is a question of roles; the ones he's been given in the past, and what would be expected of him from us. I know people who wrote off Ian MacIntyre, but when his role changed, he showed what he was capable of. Perhaps this guy would fill a similar role to Connolly at Sheffield - generally agitate, make space for speedy forwards, and get other teams to take retaliation penalties. His numbers suggest more of a marijamaki replacement rather than a Martin or langlet one.

jenks33

Thread starter #66
I think this is a question of roles; the ones he's been given in the past, and what would be expected of him from us. I know people who wrote off Ian MacIntyre, but when his role changed, he showed what he was capable of. Perhaps this guy would fill a similar role to Connolly at Sheffield - generally agitate, make space for speedy forwards, and get other teams to take retaliation penalties. His numbers suggest more of a marijamaki replacement rather than a Martin or langlet one.
Yeah he’s definitely more of a Marjamaki player and we need one. My concern (Again, only if we have signed Mcnally) is his CV compared to a Connolly or a Farnham. They’re agitator’s that also put up very decent numbers in good leagues. Mcnally’s two years In Cincinnati would give me hope (although the PIM’s would concern me). But there’s no doubting that his career has gone in a strange direction since then.

moggy#9

Yeah he’s definitely more of a Marjamaki player and we need one. My concern (Again, only if we have signed Mcnally) is his CV compared to a Connolly or a Farnham. They’re agitator’s that also put up very decent numbers in good leagues. Mcnally’s two years In Cincinnati would give me hope (although the PIM’s would concern me). But there’s no doubting that his career has gone in a strange direction since then.
I don't think that anyone the club signs would be without a great deal of research and personal recommendation. With only a few pieces visible at the moment, it's difficult to know how the final jigsaw will look. Again, it's a question of where various players are expected to fit in the depth chart.

Finny

I don't think that anyone the club signs would be without a great deal of research and personal recommendation. With only a few pieces visible at the moment, it's difficult to know how the final jigsaw will look. Again, it's a question of where various players are expected to fit in the depth chart.
Agreed.

Not everyone we sign is going to be a stellar, 30 goal a season star.
Based on his stats he looks like a player who can score a decent amount of points, has played in the AHL and can handle himself.
I can't see any reason why he wouldn't be an potential signing for us.

jenks33

Thread starter #69
Agreed.

Not everyone we sign is going to be a stellar, 30 goal a season star.
Based on his stats he looks like a player who can score a decent amount of points, has played in the AHL and can handle himself.
I can't see any reason why he wouldn't be an potential signing for us.
As I said in my original post I think his CV up until 2018 is quite impressive and I appreciate that 2018 isn’t so long ago. I find his career since then a bit bizarre though. Two years in Italy which is a very average league these days and not a league that suits his style, half a season in Denmark ( it would be interesting to know what happened there, why was it only 24 games) and then ending the season in the Swedish third tier.
I also said in Jarrod we trust so I’m certainly not saying he’s going to be a guaranteed flop or anything like that.

moggy#9

If he has signed, I can see him being very popular in Cardiff. As Finny said, he has put up decent points in the past and he's not too shabby when it comes to the rough stuff, which some of us still like!
Do who do we think for the announcements this weekend then? This guy, a goalie and a couple of stellar goal scorers?

jenks33

Thread starter #73
If he has signed, I can see him being very popular in Cardiff. As Finny said, he has put up decent points in the past and he's not too shabby when it comes to the rough stuff, which some of us still like!
Yeah the fans will love him. That 217 PIM’s in his last season in the coast scares the hell out of me though haha. Dops might be busy with him around

jenks33

Thread starter #74
Do who do we think for the announcements this weekend then? This guy, a goalie and a couple of stellar goal scorers?
If I had to guess I’d say Mac Carruth and Brandon Mcnally have signed. Yeah there’s bound to be one or two top signings revealed this weekend though.

jenks33

Thread starter #75
No one falls asleep, or leaves the building when the rough stuff kicks off, that’s for sure it’s what attracted many of us years ago.
If he has signed let’s hope we’ve got another Tylor Michel on our hands. Certainly looks that type of player

Devil94

I actually think that it's quite an impressive CV. When you consider that point scoring would not be his main focus, he has chipped in with decent numbers pretty much everywhere he's been.

A big body, agitator, and if he can chip in with 30 points on the 3rd line then could be a star.

I wouldn't read too much into Swedish third division. Last year players were just accepting jobs wherever they could, and there could be a lot of other factors there.

He has of course played a lot for Cincinnati as well, a place where Skalde spent a few years coaching.

jenks33

Thread starter #79
I actually think that it's quite an impressive CV. When you consider that point scoring would not be his main focus, he has chipped in with decent numbers pretty much everywhere he's been.

A big body, agitator, and if he can chip in with 30 points on the 3rd line then could be a star.

I wouldn't read too much into Swedish third division. Last year players were just accepting jobs wherever they could, and there could be a lot of other factors there.

He has of course played a lot for Cincinnati as well, a place where Skalde spent a few years coaching.
We’ll agree to disagree regarding his CV. Well, I like his CV up until 2018 but his career since then does concern me a bit.
What I would say though is Marjamaki came here with a better CV and never really did it for me. I question how hungry and motivated he was during his time at the Devils. Maybe we need more of a Michel, Faryna type who don’t have NHL appearances or 100’s of AHL games but will give 100%. I also like Mcnally’s age as well. Still only 29 so should have plenty left in the tank