2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

Devil94

After apparently coming very close to signing him last year, would you guys now take Jeff Ulmer to go on our first line? 40 years old, but still scored a lot of points in Denmark last year after leaving Braehead.
Sacked by Braehead after only six games, which I thought was very harsh considering the quality everyone knows the guy can bring. As we saw with our Ulmer, it takes a bit of time to get used to a new league (not technically for Jeff but close enough) but the quality does eventually shine through.

Ocko

I would've still taken the Jeff Ulmer of today had it been a year or two ago.

The problem I see us facing in the next few years is developing our next core of players. Players like Joey Martin, Hotham, Haddad and Mo have been here since the new ownership took over and into their 4th seasons, most have done their MBA's and are approaching 30 if not already there. It could well be anyone of their final years with us, if not already in the case of Mo and Hotham. These are very difficult to replace players, add in the likes of Benti and Ulmer in the later days of their own careers and we could be seeing a big turnaround in the next few seasons.

Those playears are going to be tough to replace so I'd like to see us get a few younger guys to come in to build that future core.

Temme

i guess the Spink twins are on try out contracts there, they have extremely good ECHL stats but the SHL is a massive jump and i have no doubt they won't be there past the end of August, could definitely be a couple to keep an eye on or they may look at other top european leagues.

There are a number of players in the Asia league still without contracts that look the "journeymen" type that would suit our league, wouldn't be surprised to see a few of those on our shores this year.

Alex Plante being one, who's brother was in net for Sheffield last year.

I suspect though there's a few good players to be had from the AHL as the NHL training camps will get underway and the inevitable fall off of players from there leading to many looking elsewhere.

Wannabe2

The problem I see us facing in the next few years is developing our next core of players. Players like Joey Martin, Hotham, Haddad and Mo have been here since the new ownership took over and into their 4th seasons, most have done their MBA's and are approaching 30 if not already there. It could well be anyone of their final years with us, if not already in the case of Mo and Hotham. These are very difficult to replace players, add in the likes of Benti and Ulmer in the later days of their own careers and we could be seeing a big turnaround in the next few seasons.

Those playears are going to be tough to replace so I'd like to see us get a few younger guys to come in to build that future core.
Do agree to a certain extent, but every time we have someone we think is irreplaceable we then go and replace them, it's been like that since the time dot. Good players seem to come off the conveyor belt 24/7 in Nth America. I thought Cullen, Pelle, Birbraer, Michele etc etc would never be replaced but hey ho they sure were.

Johnnybravo1927

Assuming that Asselin, Batch, Scott Hotham, ( I did hear Andrew has gone) Murdy have all re-signed that leaves us still looking for what positions to cover? I Think Mo will be involved in some capacity but not as a regular player, maybe a coach/back up role. I am convinced that Lord will play again this season as well. Have I missed any other players out? It seems generally accepted that CJ, Piggsie, Bordeleau wont be back. Brine, Kearney and Doucet have all found new clubs

bdevil

Leaves us needing a 4th line centre, 4th line winger and 1st line winger I believe.
This is assuming Lord/Mo share the 3rd line wing role vacated by Culli.

Devil_Abroad

Assuming that Asselin, Batch, Scott Hotham, ( I did hear Andrew has gone) Murdy have all re-signed that leaves us still looking for what positions to cover? I Think Mo will be involved in some capacity but not as a regular player, maybe a coach/back up role. I am convinced that Lord will play again this season as well. Have I missed any other players out? It seems generally accepted that CJ, Piggsie, Bordeleau wont be back. Brine, Kearney and Doucet have all found new clubs
I think Scott is the one not coming back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ocko

Do agree to a certain extent, but every time we have someone we think is irreplaceable we then go and replace them, it's been like that since the time dot. Good players seem to come off the conveyor belt 24/7 in Nth America. I thought Cullen, Pelle, Birbraer, Michele etc etc would never be replaced but hey ho they sure were.
I didn't say irreplaceable, but hard to replace. Any player at this level is replaceable but it still can go very wrong; for every Andrew Hotham there is a Likit Anderson and for every Joey Martin there is a Robert Millette. But it also isn't about the individuals but the unit; wholesale change does no good for the team, so we should mitigate that with bringing in younger players to replace those who won't be here in 2/3 years time. We are a year 4 of a team which took 3 to build; it is very unlikely we will have Hotham, Martin, Benti, Ulmer, Myers, Lord (as a player), Mo, even Fournier in 3 years time so brining in players in their mid 30s for the odd season will only add to a larger turnover.

ASHIPP

Lordo has already said he will be playing. Piggsie/CJ are casualties of U23 rule....they might sign with the Fire and be called upon for emergency injury cover.

kingmo19.1

One thing for sure, we've definitely got the most intelligent team in the league :)

ASHIPP

The Panthers have virtually gone the opposite way. This year a majority of the new imports and young British players are 27 and under - supported by a core of established British players and more senior players on university deals.

No guarentees that this will ensure a rebuild of a younger core, or that they will stay after one year. Some look like they have something to prove and are looking for opportunities to advance into Europe.
The Devils will have a succession plan to introduce replacement core players when it looks likely the team may lose some in the next 2-3 years. It's amazing to discover that in some cases they have been talking to players/ following their development for a few years first.